Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 461 to 480 of 505

QualityGeezer

Got a gaming PC for son so downloaded alot of emulators notably a commodore 64 collection including my personal favourite dizzy the egg

QualityGeezer

KratosMD

So I was going to finish up Ys Seven today but the design of the final boss is so freaking inconvenient. The game pretty much forces you to utilise all the characters in your team and I've not used half of my team, which means that most of them didn't have the best armour or equipment for the battle. I got very close to beating the first phase, but the boss became absolutely ridiculous during its last chunk of health and I lost. So now I'm grinding for materials to craft better stuff for my characters and hoping that this will be enough to beat the boss next time. Because all of them are at good levels, they just need better equipment/armour.

Also, it doesn't help that the first phase starts out with two characters that I have never used and one that I've used plenty of times. So what I have to do next time is to pretty much sacrifice those two characters in the beginning and save my most used character until the end in order to deal as many strong blows to the boss as possible. In the next phase, I'll at least have two of my most used characters along with one that I've never used, although she does have very high attack power as well as HP, so she should probably be fine. And then the protagonist will be used at the end and he's pretty much OP. So I just need to get past the first two phases and then it should be fine.

It would be really annoying though if I don't manage to beat this game as I've been playing it for 30 hours and having a good time with it until now. Really hate how JRPGs always need to have a final boss that's incredibly difficult. Like I said, it would've been completely fine if it weren't designed with all characters in mind and only my top 3 most used ones. Oh well..

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

KratosMD

Started playing Golf Story on Switch and it's a very fun game. I don't really like golf that much, but playing an RPG with a story revolving people playing golf is very appealing to me. And I'm enjoying it a lot so far, it's a simple game but it's quite addicting and perfectly suitable for portable play on the Switch. Looking forward to playing more of it soon.

KratosMD

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I played a bit over Christmas and it didn't really do much for me. Will most likely pick it up again at some point but I'm not exactly rushing to get back to it lol. Glad your finding it fun though!

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

There is no longer a good time to release a game. There are only less s**t times to release a game

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KratosMD

@JohnnyShoulder Thanks! You should definitely give it another shot down the line. I mean it's not the best game ever made but it is highly enjoyable and unique since there aren't a lot of "golf RPGs" lol.

Or maybe you'd be more enticed by its sequel "Sports Story" that was recently announced since it apparently has more than one sport this time around.

KratosMD

nessisonett

@KratosMD I had no idea Sports Story existed so thanks for that, Golf Story was a good fun game so I have high hopes for the sequel!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Xianders

Fortnite. My son asked me to help him win the match. I agreed and after that I was drawn into this game. So far, I'm pulling up my skill to please my son with victories. To do this, I work hard and look at my statistics here.

Edited on by Xianders

Xianders

mookysam

Feeling miserable so thought I'd add another game to the rotation and started The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD on the Wii U. I've played the original Wind Waker multiple times over the years, but this is my first play of the remaster. It's still gorgeous, although the new lighting gives an unpleasant solidity to the characters in places. The shading in the original (especially at 480p) is sublime, so it's a bit of a shame. Other than that the QoL improvements are nice, although I dislike the gamepad and find it genuinely painful to use for long periods.

Thank you NHS

PSN: mookysam

vhsodre

Resident Evil 6 on PS3. A Great action game but a horrible addition to the franchise, like the previous two.

vhsodre

KratosMD

@mookysam I really loved playing through Wind Waker, such a cozy Zelda game! Definitely my second favourite one after Breath of the Wild.

You don't have a Wii U Pro Controller? In that case, you could always play Wind Waker using that controller instead of the cumbersome gamepad. I wish I had mine before I decided to play through the game, although it was quite nice to use the gamepad screen to switch items.

Been playing some more LEGO Batman 2 on Xbox 360 and I've gotta be honest, the game has been getting very repetitive playing as only Batman and Robin as well as utilising their same special suits in every level. The introduction of Superman however has made the game much more interesting and liberating since you can fly around and use so many abilities without being forced to constantly switch suits.

The open world aspect of the game is nice when you're driving around in the Batmobile or flying as Superman. There are tons of stuff to do on the map. My favourite thing is probably unlocking vehicle stations (which are pretty much the "Ubisoft Towers" equivalent of this game) since each one introduces a new villain that you can fight and buy to use later on, which is really cool. But other than that, I don't really like spending too much time in the open world since there are way too much stuff to do in it and I simply prefer the story levels. I'm fine though with using the map as a way of getting from point A to B, instead of going through loading screens. But I definitely don't feel like spending hours collecting every gold brick and unlocking every character when there are so many to find. And multiply that with how many LEGO games there are in existence and you could be spending the rest of you life playing these games.

So yeah, I'm content with going through the story and then moving on from this game. I've played through half of the story now I think, so there's still plenty of stuff for me to do. Hopefully I'll get to play as more DC characters!

KratosMD

mookysam

@KratosMD It's delightful. Nah, I haven't got a Pro Controller although am not sure it's worth getting one at this point because of how few Wii U games I have left to play. I like aspects of the gamepad's utilisation such as the item switching, but it is otherwise so cumbersome and heavy.

Thank you NHS

PSN: mookysam

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Yeah, with so many LEGO games out there, I don't blame you for your story-focused approach to some of the older ones (especially LEGO Batman 2 which was the first to feature a voice-acted plot, so it's kinda the game's USP and the rest you'll find elsewhere). Glad you're still enjoying it but absolutely, don't get distracted on your way between missions!

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KratosMD

@RogerRoger Yeah I'm very much enjoying the story of LEGO Batman 2. It's actually pretty good and I doubt I'd enjoy it as much if it weren't for the inclusion of other DC heroes. Makes me excited to play the other LEGO games I've got lined up now, such as Marvel Super Heroes and DC Super Villains since they all seem to have a story with a wide cast of characters. Moreover, it makes me glad that I bought LEGO Batman 3 since I thought at first I wanted only LEGO games with open world maps so I could spend more them with the games. However, I don't feel that way anymore. I prefer now LEGO games that are more linear, such as LB3. I believe the upcoming LEGO Star Wars game is also quite linear since it's based on the movies?

KratosMD

RogerRoger

@KratosMD There'll be linear levels, yes, apparently six for each movie (so that's fifty-four in total; as a result, I'm not expecting any of them to be super-long) but they'll be connected by an open world... well, an open galaxy, by the sounds of things. I'm eagerly awaiting more information, and some gameplay footage, as it sounds ridiculously ambitious on paper.

But I'm the same as you. Sandboxes are sandboxes, no matter whether they're in LEGO form or rendered with ultra-realistic graphics. It's fun in short bursts, but the open-world challenges are always the last thing I do when trying to platinum a LEGO game. The linear levels are the best.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

Continuing my run through the Uncharted series with Golden Abyss on Vita.

Played through it once on release and was thoroughly impressed. Coming back to it hot on the heels of the remasters of Uncharteds 1-3 was somewhat jarring initially.

The compromised visuals and the tiny Vita sticks inspired a feeling of 'perhaps I should just skip this one'. Thankfully, the overall presentation - the rousing Uncharted theme and nostalgia for my original 2011 awe at the wonderful achievement of a studio other than Naughty Dog transposing the Uncharted formula to a handheld experience won out. And I'm glad it did.

The gunplay still feels compromised, but the game does compensate with a better feeling hand to hand experience and somewhat dimmer-witted AI.

And while the visuals are a significant downgrade from playing the PS4 remasters, once away from the drab prologue Golden Abyss really shines, aided in no small part by the mostly good animation and tight direction. The cast is a significant factor in selling this game too and thankfully get to work with a script that feels every bit as Uncharted as 1-3.

While most of the expected control scheme remains intact from the home console games, there are of course the Vita specific inputs. I'd forgotten how annoyingly unnecessary some of it is. But for all of the forced screen swiping to cut bamboo and the pace stunting tilt to balance mechanic, there's the still pretty charming charcoal rubbings and labour saving path drawing for Drake to climb. There is a 'hold the Vita up a light' bit, I've not hit that yet, but it is a nice use of the camera I think.

I had also forgotten totally about the (now disabled) Black Market/Near functionality. Near! Remember that? I really liked that!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KratosMD

So I decided to continue my playthrough of Super Mario Odyssey on Switch from last year. I've already beaten the game, so now I'm going through all the post-game moons and it's been a lot of fun. It's absolutely crazy how much content this game has, especially when compared to previous 3D Mario games. There are new moons in every world and it's been a joy revisiting past levels and finding new collectibles there. I think that my experience with Saints Row IV recently has also heightened my enjoyment of Odyssey (and was possibly even the factor that influenced me to play the game now) since that game also has you collect lots of things in an open map. So that definitely helped put me in the right mood for a collectathon game.

I've kept the game in my backlog just because it didn't feel right to write it off after having only finished the game. There are so many collectibles in this game and I felt the need to collect them all, or at least the majority of them, before stamping it as "complete" from my backlog. So I'm both looking forward to playing more of this game and finishing it so I can remove it from my backlog and start up other Switch games. I think the reason why I don't play much on the Switch is because I have so many unfinished games (Super Mario Odyssey, Hollow Knight and previously Oxenfree) that have hindered me from moving on to other ones in my backlog. By clearing some of these out, I believe I will play more on the system from now on.

@KALofKRYPTON I enjoyed my time overall with Golden Abyss on the Vita, however there was one aspect that really made me dislike the game and put it all the way down on my list of the best Uncharted games, and that was the motion controls. There was one section where Nathan rode down a river and I kept dying over and over because the motion controls didn't respond fast enough. I was stuck on that section for a long time and eventually, I just ended up hating this game so much because there was nothing else I could do in order to move on. I had to complete that section and it sucked.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

Kalvort

Started Mario Odyssey last night. Enjoying it so far! Not gonna get all the moons as trying to clear the never ending backlog.

Next in line will be: Link's Awakening & Fire Emblem Three Houses.

Kalvort

Ralizah

@KratosMD I wasn't a huge fan of SMO until I got to the post-game content. The main campaign is a bit easy for my liking, but the huge amount of post-game content, and the exploration that went along with it, really made me appreciate its design more than I did previously.

Especially the hugely nostalgic Mushroom Kingdom.

Edited on by Ralizah

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

PSN: Ralizah

KratosMD

@Ralizah Yeah I really like that world as well! This game is honestly the quintessential Mario game in my opinion. It has fully explorable 3D Worlds just like Super Mario 64, while also including linear levels within those worlds just like the Super Mario Galaxy games, as well as giving you full freedom on how to reach the collectibles with a diverse set of moves for Mario. Being able to transform into other creatures just adds even more variety to an already diversified game.

I'm just sad that this game didn't receive more attention post-launch, such as through major expansions or even a level creator, which would've been amazing. That would've made the overall package even better.

KratosMD

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Yay! Another fan. We do exist!

And I say that as somebody who kinda hates touching the screen. I also play in the dark, so when it asked me to hold the PS Vita up to a light, I was more than a little inconvenienced. Regardless, it's a cracking game from start to finish, and a highlight in a series packed with highlights.

Gotta agree with practically everything you wrote. Glad you had fun!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic