Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 421 to 440 of 1,988

Thrillho

@KratosMD Completing CoD: World at War on veteran mode remains one of my personal gaming achievements as it was pretty much one shot kills on you and in some places enemies would keep respawning so you have to push forward.

Storming the Reichstag was an utter nightmare in that game (I assume it wasn’t much fun in real life either to be fair).

Thrillho

Jaz007

@KratosMD Why not play it on PS4? The remaster was really good and a Plus tite? It honestly looks like a native PS4 game is a borderline remake remaster with how much they upped the graphics.

Jaz007

SilentJ

I'm hoping to finally finish up the main Sunset Overdrive story today. I put it on the back burner years ago and got back into it about a month ago. I finished up all the side missions and and am ready for the final story mission before jumping into the dlc. There are still a bunch of challenges to work through but I'll try those after I finish the game. I'm kinda bummed because I'm realizing you can't really purchase all the weapons without MAJOR grinding. Even with grinding I don't see how you can gain enough overcharge to purchase ALL of the weapons. It sucks that they made it so hard to collect them all considering a big focus is on the weapons. Either way, I'll be glad to finally finish this!

PSN ID : MrPink78

Thrillho

@KratosMD I really liked WaW as it went for a different take on WW2 seeing as the story flitted between an American fighting in the Pacific and a Russian fighting on the Eastern front and culminating in storming the Reichstag.

The other moment I remember (and almost gave up at) was one where you're charging at machine gun points and have to use smoke grenades for cover. Mess it up and you were dead. And don't run out of smoke grenades either!

Thrillho

nessisonett

@KratosMD Yeah, I played MW2 on Veteran and it was insane. That’s quite the undertaking you’re putting yourself through 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@KratosMD Yes, that comment is pretty accurate. Pretty smug feeling once you finally do it though!

Thrillho

Thrillho

God, I just looked and it was eleven years ago I got the platinum for that game!

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

My daughter sent me a text whilst I was at work today @RogerRoger @Gremio108 regarding Sonic CD (I remembered you two talking about it when I mentioned it)

I'd quote it and change things to be the forums PG's friendly tone... but even then I think it'd still toe the line with the stream of colourful expletives that were littered throughout it 😂

I was unable to resist looking at those Sonic Funko pop's Rog despite your warning... And seemingly I'm unable to resist giving this a go when I get home! It can't be that bad surely? And it's what? An hour at most? 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

NomNom

Fire emblem three houses, it's really good

PSN: Ultranomnom

I'll take the Vita to the grave with me, even if Sony won't.

PSN: Ultranomnom

nessisonett

@Gremio108 @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Woah, what’s wrong with Sonic CD? I rather liked it when I played it other than one particular level making me legitimately nauseous.

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 I wish I could have done that when I was a kid. Most likely would have thrown something or shouted expletives into thin air.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Ha ha she wasn't particularly angry about it more just trying to warn me against playing it @Gremio108

I uhh... did play it though myself. All the way to the end I got the bad end and... good gravy!

My only experience with 2D Sonic is the DS Sonic Rush games and from what I remember I quite liked those.

Sonic CD though? 😅

The level design felt weird and kinda clumsy?

That Japanese soundtrack was awful to me and again felt kinda clumsy in execution. The American one sounded much nicer in comparison.

The past and future mechanic felt badly implemented, hampered by the weird level design. I only managed to activate it like twice (I wasn't bothering to do so mind you) and the one time I honestly don't know how I even ended up in the future segment as I wasn't going fast at all to activate it

The bosses weren't that great either. Most were fairly easy. That pinball one took me like five minutes to get out that stupid section. The Metal Sonic "Race" can burn for all eternity too

If it makes you feel any better I liked NieR Automata more @nessisonett... by a wide margin too 😂

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Woah, I did think it was a bit short but I thought it was mostly well regarded! I absolutely love the Japanese soundtrack and find the NA one a travesty in comparison but that’s just opinion of course. Time travel is a bit fiddly and it’s really hard to hit every level variation without playing the game 80 times. The level that made me ill (I looked it up) was Stardust Speedway, as there’s a section in the past with tunnels for Sonic to spin dash through at about 400 mph. The result is green and yellow flashes on the screen that burns the eyes and melts the soul. Especially on a CRT set 😂😂

HallowMoonshadow

I've only played the Sonic Rush games, Sonic Heroes, Shadow The Hedgehog, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Riders and this @nessisonett. Pretty much all of them were bought for my kids... this being the first one I bought myself

I'd honestly probably say the same (or on similar lines at least) of the original Sonic game too (or it's sequels) and I have no idea of CD's reputation. It probably is well regarded but... Not by me 😂

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy That’s... quite the selection of Sonic games! Well there’s something to be said for starting at the bottom and working your way up 😂😂

Gremio108

@nessisonett I don't know, it just felt like a bit of a mess. I did enjoy the Sonic CD levels that made it into Sonic Mania though, so maybe I should revisit it sometime.

@JohnnyShoulder Same here. It's a much cheaper way of expressing anger at a game though.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Glad you enjoyed your introduction to Splinter Cell via Conviction. From what I gather, it and Blacklist are almost identical in terms of abilities and interface, so you'll have a guaranteed blast with both of them. I can also confirm that Blacklist runs well on PS3. Never had any issues with it.

The HD Trilogy on PS3 (containing the original three games, Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory) also runs well enough. There are brief moments where its framerate will dip, but nothing I found too distracting. I'm not sure that there's a perfect version of them because they were always ambitious games; maybe on a modern, overpowered PC perhaps, but otherwise the PS3's HD Trilogy is close enough.

As for the gameplay, everything you've just described enjoying is in there (except Mark & Execute, that was new for Conviction). The franchise built its reputation on stealth mechanics unique from rival Metal Gear, namely the interplay between light and dark, and the crucial monitoring of sound. Shooting out lightbulbs to create hiding places in shadow, chimney-jumping up narrow corridors to ambush passers-by... it's always been there. Executing it is just somewhat more clunky in comparison, with several context-sensitive, press-and-hold dropdown menus slowing the pace right down. This can actually make some levels a little more tense, and you'll get the hang of it eventually, but it's very stop-start and would therefore be very jarring if you picked it up right after Conviction or Blacklist.

It was the PS3 port of Double Agent which I eviscerated. When analysed using every conceivable metric, both in terms of performance and gameplay, it's nothing but a dumpster fire.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy When will you learn...?!

Sonic CD is perhaps the most overrated game of all time. The time travel mechanic is the enemy of fun, forcing the pace of its (speed-based!) gameplay to a crawl and leading to a spiteful sense of one-shot perfectionism. The level design is appalling, some of Sonic's worst, and both soundtracks fail to find a consistent style, feeling scattershot and ill-suited to their environments. Let's also not forget that this game unleashed the plague known as "Amy Rose" upon the world and no, you're not alone in getting stuck in that pinball boss battle. It's an unmitigated nightmare.

So yeah, I agree with almost all of your assessment. Alas, as I said, it's regarded by the majority of the fanbase as the greatest of Sonic's 2D outings, and its design DNA can be felt in Sonic Mania (which is why I wasn't smitten with that game, either).

Good 2D Sonic games do exist. They're called Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

RogerRoger wrote:

When will you learn...?!

Never apparently @RogerRoger 😂

... I thought Big The Cat was the most reviled character by the sonic fandom? I know Amy's characterisation is rather one note but... I dunno... I've always thought she was kinda ok 😅

I'll be sure to keep Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 in mind Rog! Seeing as Sonic CD was short (Thankfully. That's it one redeeming quality) but I'm still in the mood for Sonic (and don't wanna dive into Day's Gone just yet still) I might actually play another one of his games that I have.

... That only leaves me with Sonic Heroes, Shadow or Sonic Riders though (The others were sold at some point).

Descisions, Descisions...

Ralizah

RogerRoger wrote:

Let's also not forget that this game unleashed the plague known as "Amy Rose" upon the world

lol

I like her theme in Sonic Adventure.

Her design is pretty cute, too.

Too bad she's almost entirely defined by her fixation on Sonic.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic