Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 321 to 340 of 1,982

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Rainbow Six: Vegas is perhaps not as janky as it is clunky. It suffers from the opposite of what you describe, being far too sluggish and deliberate to respond to some of the surprise rush attacks you'll encounter, so it's a variation on the same "old, rubbish controls" theme you highlighted.

I'm surprised how engaging I found F.E.A.R. whilst watching it. I usually recoil from horror, but I found its implementation quite effective. Here's hoping that element stays as good as its opening the more you play.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Started Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver

I can see why you think/thought it's a great game @KALofKRYPTON! Just from the opening cutscene I was pretty enamoured with it. I'm loving the gothic art direction!

Raizel has got the perfect voice for a sauve and handsome vampire... ya know... before he burns for eternity in the lake of souls and becomes a vampire wraith (and can somehow still talk perfectly fine without a lower jaw 😂)

Also I swear I know the voice of the soul spinner/elder god who brought Raizel back... It can't be Count Frollo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame? -EDIT- It is!

The combat is rather clunky unfortunately by today's standards... But everything else is quite good still.

The switching planes/realms mechanic is seriously impressive ... I'm quite impressed the PS1 managed to accomplish that!

I'm really looking forward to trying more tomorrow!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

KALofKRYPTON

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy If you ever have the opportunity to play the DC version, grab it with both hands. Love the PS1 game, but the still surprising upgrade is fantastic.

There was an article fairly recently about the technical prowess of the game and how the dev's utilised the CD format to stream the levels, pretty interesting stuff as I recall. Not sure where is was...

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

Yup Soul Reaver one of my fave games from that gen. Really hope thet do a remake, i would play that in a heartbeat. Does anyone know if Mark Hamill did any of the voices in the games? I seem to remember he did, but a quick search on IMDB didn't come up with anything. Or I maybe getting confused with Darksiders!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

I think it's Darksiders he's in @JohnnyShoulder (Not that I've played those either!)

That was a pretty impressive read @KALofKRYPTON with all the computer/CD trickery.

Interesting that Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is considered/recognised officially as the first game to have no loading screens

But maybe that's because it is truly open world whilst Soul Reaver is notably locked off chunks with the doors to each new compartment technically just masking the loading.

Still rather mind boggling though at what Soul Reaver did/does.

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Played the first Darksiders he defo voices a character in that. Although I didn't know that at the time! Dunno if he is the other games.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

I got my partner Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games on Friday, for his birthday this weekend.

Since I'm a big Sonic fan and he's a Nintendo loyalist, I figured it'd make for a lighthearted bit of score-settling rivalry between us (as well as being something he could actually play, thanks to its family-friendly universal controls across each type of event).

We played a little yesterday and I'm sorry to say that initial impressions are bang average. The events themselves are very stop-start and require little-to-no skill to beat (and he's much better at button-mashing than me, since he doesn't hold his controller in the traditional way I do, so he consistently bested me at everything that simply said "hammer A to win"). The lack of a custom splitscreen tournament was quite damning as, after randomly picking a handful of sports to try, we forgot to keep track of our own scores and so everything became a little pointless (pun semi-intended).

We did make a start on the story mode, which fared a little better, although some of the dialogue could've done with a trim... no, that's too kind; a lot of the script needs running over with a combine harvester. It's just too long-winded and repetitive, especially in a textbox-based, voiceless game. The blend of modern graphics and 2D retro sprites is very cute, and made us laugh a couple times, but it feels like a gimmick included to distract from the overall lack of fresh content.

We'll see the story through, but likely won't rush to do so. Beyond that, it'll be one of those "Hey, remember this? We've got ten minutes to waste, let's try fencing!" cartridges we randomly stumble across, methinks.

At least I could go surfing as Silver the Hedgehog. That was cool.

Great music, too.

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

RogerRoger wrote:

At least I could go surfing as Silver the Hedgehog. That was cool

I dont even know who the character is @RogerRoger (Though from the name I can ascertain he's obviously bronze and a porcupine )

But if that's the highlight of the game then oh boy!

(Last game I played of Sonic was Sonic Rush Adventure I think)

Currently in the midst of playing a bit more of Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver myself as I was at the inlaws most of today and yesterday and I can't be bothered to faff about with the Witcher 3 for only an hour or so as I won't get anything done.

Making my way through the Silenced Cathedral... Boy do they like block puzzles in this place

Unfortunately like you with Sonic & Mario RogerRoger I'm starting to feel Soul Reaver getting a bit more mediocre now after the inital positive buzz I had the other day.

Though considering it's twenty years old...

The voice acting is still a delight mind. I'll admit I could happily listen to Raziel's voice actor talk for hours in this accent! It's shakespearean/medieval waffle... but at it's finest

Also didn't really take in it was by Crystal Dynamics til now!

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy This be Silver...

Untitled

He's my favourite Sonic character. I even have a statue of him in my lounge (not life-size, mercifully).

And I wouldn't feel too guilty about feeling your interest in Soul Reaver subside. Happens to me all the time with older games I never played before, particularly from the PSone era. I love the idea of them but then, when I settle down to play them properly from beginning to end, I tend to get a little frustrated.

Last time that happened to me was Chase the Express. Always wanted to play it as a kid, never did, found a copy, booted it up, lasted ten minutes. Haven't returned in four years.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, I just had to comment on your Witcher 3 sentiment you had there almost in passing — part of my issue with it and similar games is the feeling that I need to have a 3 hour games session minimal to get anywhere with it. So I have put it in hibernation until I feel like that happens in my life. Unfortunately I started up Assassin’s Creed Origins this weekend and it feels nearly identical to Witcher 3 in structure. Just dumps you in this enormous world with a million quest markers and very little tutorial or foundational explanation of what’s going on and sets you loose. I have a feeling it will suffer the same fate as W3 has in my backlog.

Anyways, and to get back on thread subject, Soul Reaver is a little bit of the opposite — more linear, dated graphically with aged gameplay and structure. The voice acting is the highlight though. It’s been a while since I played but I have pleasant memories of it. I’m sure if I attempted a replay I’d be like, “Why won’t this game open up into a huge world with lots to explore and do and a boatload of combat mechanics to spend a hundred hours leveling up to learn! This is so boring!” 😂. Sometimes as gamers we can never be pleased. 😜

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

RogerRoger wrote:

This be Silver...

I must admit I imagined the entirety of your post in a pirate voice for some reason thanks to that opening line 😂

Silver looks pretty neat. Though my inner angsty teen will always love Shadow.

I'll be honest @RogerRoger I've only played Sonic Heroes, Shadow The Hedgehog, Sonic Unleashed and the two Rush games alongside Riders so my Sonic knowledge is severely lacking.

Never had any friends who had a megadrive or such as a kid and as I've said before, I never really got into gaming til the ps1 at 15 so the originals passed me by

Shame you didn't enjoy your time with Sonic and Mario at the Tokyo Olympics so much though!

As for Soul Reaver.

It's not so much my interest is waning, more so my intital positive reception is becoming increasingly marred by the design choices and limitations of the times.

For 1999 it's impressive... Now not so much.

The voice acting is simply sublime though (Hell it can beat some of today's voice casts easily) and the music, whilst nothing I'd recommend listening to yet, is very atmospheric for Raziel's quest for revenge.

I also now hate block puzzles

Still interested in seeing it to the end though!

and I have never heard of Chase the Express in my life!

@Th3solution didn't see your post while I was typing

I'm lucky that as a teacher I can usually get an evening or two in the week for a few hours of gaming and as I have weekends off I can usually spend at least one day with a massive gaming chunk in it!

Soul Reaver does seem to have a number of secrets to it. At least six or so as I seemingly have other spells beside the shifting reality/planes one but haven't got them yet.

There's a very Legend Of Zelda (Not quite metroidvania-y) feel about how you get new abilties and being able to revist previous places for secrets/upgrades.

Plus this second area is LONG! I have no idea if the upcoming areas are gonna be this long... If they are they really need better warp gate placements!

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Shadow is awesome. I never liked how he started out, but he's become a favourite over time. Everybody should feed their inner edgelords from time to time! You just missed out on Silver, as he was in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (which I highly recommend if, by any small chance, you actually liked playing Sonic Riders).

Oh, I'm glad you're still interested in finishing Soul Reaver. I applied the wrong personal example, sorry! I look forward to your review of it, as I think I played a demo on one of those Official PlayStation Magazine demo discs back in the day, and thought it was pretty cool. Oddly enough, what I remember most about that game was that, when the PS2 came along, its sequel was talked about for the amazing breakthrough of having Raziel "actually place his feet on each individual step of a staircase" (for some reason, that and broken glass crunching as you walked over it in Red Faction were major next-generation selling points in a preview piece I read).

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I did... My daughter and I had quite a bit fun racing each other @RogerRoger

RogerRoger wrote:

Oh, I'm glad you're still interested in finishing Soul Reaver . I applied the wrong personal example, sorry!

No worries!

Quite an interesting tidbit there though about the stairs... I remember when the PS3 came out and COD was hailed about how hands weren't like crude lego claws anymore 😂

I've heard the sequel for Soul Reaver is more story focused... Which might actually help it over the course of time. Especially as hopefully it uses the Right analogue stick for camera control rather the L2 and R2!

I actually did quite a bit this evening of Soul Reaver...

Defeated the second vampire, Found out some hidden secrets of Raziel's creation... Found and defeated the third vampire... Hell I'm already on my way to the last as well!

The past few areas have been rather short... which is a gift, as the 2nd area was way too long in my opinion... But I'm thinking the area after (possibly the last?) is gonna be quite long to compensate

FullbringIchigo

I'm currently in a Sonic mood so i'm gonna play Sonic Adventure

not sure which version though

Untitled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I've only got the PS3 version of Sonic Adventure DX so can't help you there, but I agree that yesterday's trailer has sparked a desire to play something Sonic.

Since I have a day spare tomorrow, I was thinking maybe Sonic Riders. Something I don't replay often.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i have the PS3 version too

and the XBOX 360 version as well

don't judge me

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Why would I...? It's Sonic, he's awesome!

My record for versions of the same game is also four, and is the much-worse Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Republic Heroes, which I have on PS3, PSP, DS and PC.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger mine is FINAL FANTASY VII, PS1 original, PS1 Platinum, P.C Original, P.C Steam, Android, PS3/Vita, PS4 and XBOX ONE (and once i get a Switch i'll get it on that too)

and i have the remake pre-ordered if you count that too

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Nicely done! What a legacy that game has.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic