Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 181 to 200 of 1,988

orionreplay

This kids got a Switch going splitsies between my mother and us. A combined gift this Christmas. We then got Mario Odyssey and Smash Bros. Mario Odyssey has me so hooked and any time I can sneak on, I'm playing it. It's so silky smooth and plays like an open sandbox platformer. It hits on all the right must-dos as I comb the area looking for secret caves to find gems. You don't have to proceed the level forward one bit, if you don't wish. Just explore.

Our first Smash Bros experience... between adults and kids we have no idea what's going on! Crazy frenetic 4 person fighting. I keep gravitating back to Odyssey, to be honest.

orionreplay

JJ-firl

Dynasty Warriors Next on the Vita. Just started the 4th chapter of the campaign and I liked what I've played so far. It's my first Warriors game and I know a lot of people dismiss it as a repetitive button masher and they're not exactly wrong... But it's a good one! There is a time and place for everything

Over the top action / Lots of playable characters / Cheesy voice acting / Fun and short minigames to shake things up (that make great use of the Vita functionalities). Just what I'm looking for in a hack 'n' slash. The game does add some strategic depth without becoming too complex.

I think I will play more Warriors games in the future, The One Piece one looks pretty fun on Vita and PS4 seems to have its share of titles too.

pastel days & neon nights

PSN: JJ-firl

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder He might be, yeah. When he was playing Gradius, he said "this is the one I always died on" and was much more comfortable with games where you could take your time; the most skill he demonstrated was showing me some of the secret paths in the original Mario.

I'm grateful for the recommendation; will check it out and mention it when I see him for New Year's (since we'll be turning the Switch on to continue with Captain Toad, I'll go find it in the store).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Not sure if you remember the game on the Master System or if it was before your time, but it was never that difficult. Iirc the ither games in the series were tougher. The mist difficult moments is figuring out which character to use to progress. Anyhoo, here the the launch trailer for you to check out.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Master System is a touch too early for me (the MegaDrive was my first console... well, no, some old Atari was my first console but that was more "novelty family time-waster when I was five" rather than "now I'm going to focus and play this awesome Sonic game for a couple hours") but it's definitely my partner's era.

The first ten or so seconds of that trailer had me doubtful, but everything from Lizard Man onwards was joyous; I love the look of it, thanks for embedding it for me! Will definitely show it to him this weekend.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Played more Captain Toad yesterday on my partner's Switch. We got through the second chapter and started the third (and when I say "got through" I mean "did everything, including the bonus objectives and finding the little Toad sprite"). For the most part, it continues to be an engaging, fun puzzle box experience, but one of the problems I feared with such short, varied levels cropped up a couple times, namely the "suddenly really tricky level" syndrome. The first level of the second episode, with slides you had to rotate, killed me so many times the game offered me an invincibility power-up on my fifth attempt, and then the same happened with the clear pipe level towards the end of the book. Much rage!

Also, showed my partner the trailer for WonderBoy as @JohnnyShoulder helpfully suggested, and he said "let's finish Captain Toad first" so I have some hope. Otherwise I might just get it for myself anyway!

Making It So Since 1987

Hootnoodle

Currently playing stardew valley on the switch, I’ve been pulled back into the never ending farming and giving everyone gifts so they like me.

Hootnoodle

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Good luck with the rest of Captain Toad and hope you both enjoy Wonderboy!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

New Super Mario Bros. U. I won't be spending $60 to get the Switch version of a game that Nintendo gave me for free, and I never really got too far into it, so I decided to boot it up yesterday. I've been playing for several hours since then, and I'm up to the... fifth world? Anyway, it's fun. Level design is leagues better than in previous NSMB games. This is essentially the SMW of the NSMB franchise, with its large levels, interconnected world map with secrets, Yoshi, etc.

Playing with the Pro controller, because the GamePad just isn't comfortable. I really wish I could use my 8bitdo SNES controller with this game. At least that'll be usable in the Switch version.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah Wait, what? No way, I'll be buying the Switch version as well, but I might have the (unplayed) game lying somewhere around.

If it's as great as you say, "Super Mario World" is the keyword here, then I might actually hook up the Wii U sometimes for some old fashioned fun.

Kidfried

General_Spiller

@ZeD I saw this on sale recently on the Nintendo store. I recently got a Switch and thought it might be a good fit on that platform but have PS4 too.

Does it 'fit' well on the Switch? Or do you think it's better on the PS4?

General_Spiller

PSN: General_Spiller

Ralizah

@Kidfried It has the aesthetic drawbacks of the other NSMB games. Uninspired visual design. The same terrible music you've heard in other NSMB games (BOP! BOP BOP!).

With that said, it's a surprisingly solid game, and it reminds me more than a little of Super Mario World in terms of the game design.

The world themes get a bit more varied than in recent 2D Mario games as well. There's a jungle one that calls to mind World's Forest of Illusion and SMB3's Giant Land, for example.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

ZeD

@General_Spiller I am playong it all in hand helf and it plays well. Load times are sometimes a wait and it suffers a few frane drops but I cannot compare to the PS4.

Anyway, I was playing in bed until 1 this morning as the story gripped me

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

Kidfried

(BOP! BOP BOP!).

@Ralizah That's a painfully spot on summary of the music, bravo! :'D

I'll let you know if I can make some time for it soon.

Kidfried

General_Spiller

@ZeD thanks for the info. I might just give it a whirl on the Switch then when it's on sale again. Love being able to sit in bed playing games and loving the Switch overall!

General_Spiller

PSN: General_Spiller

Th3solution

@KratosMD You make me curious to try P4: DAN, especially since the P3 and P5 versions of the music game have recently come out. I haven’t been a music game fan really, but your description has me intrigued. So there is a legitimate story to the game? Is the story strong enough to carry the game on its own even if the gameplay isn’t particularly one’s cup-of-tea? How hard is the gameplay for someone who is just a casual fan of rhythm games? For perspective, I lost interest in Patapon once it got toward the end and the difficulty spiked, and my Yakuza karaoke scores are pretty subpar. I’d say I have at least average sense of rhythm for someone who doesn’t play an instrument, but I just don’t delve into that genre of games much.
I wonder how hard physical copies are to find. In the waning hours of Vita’s lifespan, I feel like I need to stockpile some games before they become extinct and this may be one I should add to the library if nothing else to have for the future.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JJ-firl

@KratosMD Sounds great! For me it’s a little too early to play DAN, so close to finishing P4G but I will definitely check it out in the near future.

Do you think this game could work for someone who hasn’t played P4 or P4G but likes rhythm games? I have a friend who might love this but he isn’t into JRPG’s (at all) so this might be a way to share my love with him.

Edited on by JJ-firl

JJ-firl

@KratosMD Thanks for your detailed answer, much appreciated. I'm actually pretty eager to try it out now so it's added to my Vita's Most Wanted list.

The only negative: it's going to become even harder to get these songs out of my head at work!

JJ-firl

@KratosMD Cheers for the heads up. I usually prefer physical for Vita if possible, this would mean I'm looking at 35 EUR (new retail copy). Which I think is acceptable. However... it's hard to ignore this absolute steal.

The sale ends the 19th so I still have a week to decide.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic