Forums

Topic: User Impressions/Reviews Thread

Posts 721 to 740 of 3,148

PSVR_lover

“Between Blood and Wine and Cyberpunk 2077, I have a LOT of CDProjektRed content on the horizon.”

I can’t wait for Cyberpunk 2077, it maybe my last PS4 game, which means that my PS4 will go out with style.

It’s amazing how many great games like The Last of Us Part 2 the PS4 is getting this year.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Ralizah

@PSVR_lover I was debating whether to upgrade my rig before Cyberpunk releases, but I think I'll just leave it as is. If it can run reasonably well on a PS4, it should be able to run well enough (60fps at medium/low settings) on my PC.

But yes, I'm also looking forward to it, considering CDPR are apparently working on revolutionizing the design of the game so that there's less icon chaos on the map, and there's a greater density of content. They also talked about changing quests so that fail states don't trigger unless you die, which means side-quest outcome differing radically depending on the player's actions.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Thrillho

@Ralizah I didn't get round to the DLC for quite a while as the two main parts were released after I finished the game and they were very easy to get back into so don't worry about time away. I never finished the HZD DLC as I struggled to get back into the combat; I think I barely made it ten minutes in to be honest!

And I forgot to say how could you not get into Gwent?? I didn't get it to start with either but ending up loving it. Sadly, I only got the hang of it after the Bloody Baron quest line so I missed his unique card (and the ability to get the trophy)..

Thrillho

crimsontadpoles

I didn't get into Gwent either. I much prefer the Red Dead Redemption style mini games, such as poker, dominos, etc. With those, it's easy to jump in and have a quick game without putting much thought into it.

Gwent on the other hand needs a lot more strategy. Firstly there's planning out which cards to put in your deck. Then the actual game requires plenty of strategy as well. I've just never cared too much for strategy games in general.

@Thrillho I also missed that unique card from the Bloody Baron storyline. That was the point in the game where I stopped being interested in becoming interested in Gwent.

Ralizah

@Thrillho Not a collectible card game fan, personally, as it's really easy for people to trounce you with better card set-ups. The gameplay is simple, but with a gameplay loop I didn't enjoy.

If I ever replay the game, though, I'll probably make a concerted effort to improve enough at the game that I have an incentive to complete all of the Gwent-related sidequests I skipped on my first playthrough.

@crimsontadpoles It probably also helps that the region is very colorful. Even without the pogroms against non-humans and widespread corruption, Skellige was still very gloomy.

Glad you enjoyed DR2! While I think V3 is better overall, DR2 was the game that really made me fall in love with the series (DR1, to this day, is my least favorite entry in the series, even including Ultra Despair Girls). I really liked the expanded world-building, and the cast is, imo, the best in the series.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Azure Striker GunVolt sounds interesting.

You know from your previous Megaman bundle review that I know bugger all about Megaman... Though I did actually play through the megaman X demo on PS4 though between then and now.

Can't quite say it really gelled with me though @Ralizah

Gunvolt certainly sounds interesting and it was a nice, fun, little read none the less (The music wasn't half bad either).

I can't quite say I'm interested in getting it but who knows? I know about it now at the very least!

But there's also your Witcher III review.

First of all, like Ness, thanks for Banana Tiger.... I can't unhear it for the life of me

As for the rest of your review it was far more eloquent then I'd ever put but otherwise I agree wholeheartedly...

... Well except for Gwent (I also find the combat a bit wonky myself)

I found Gwent pretty decent for a minigame but of course it isn't for everyone (Though I do agree that starving peasants having and taking part in a collectable trading card game does come across as the most particularly video gamey/The biggest Story & Gameplay segregation moment the game has)

There's not much more I can really say... It's without a doubt a solid title, with rather finely crafted dialogue & characterisation with a very memorable cast with relatively few (but somewhat notable at the same time) misfires that just edge it to the cusp of greatness.

It's definitely a game I do actually get the praise surrounding it 😄

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

... Certainly one interesting review there @KratosMD for Symphony Of The Night!

I'd like to hope I'd react more positively towards the game if I ever get round to playing it myself but from what you describe it does seem to show it's age quite notably.

Let's hope if we play Bloodstained soon for the game club you feel more positively towards it!

It does bring back the same composer I believe so at the very least you'll most likely be enraptured by the music! (And there's some great tracks there you embedded!)

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy There's a demo for the Mega Man X collection? Wasn't aware of that!

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the MMX games, either. I bought X4 for my Vita out of pure nostalgia, because it was one of my first three games for the PS1 when I was a little kid (alongside Mega Man 8 and Spyro the Dragon), but I was never a fan of their mix of supremely stupid boss names (honestly, add a "the" between names like Chill Penguin or Frost Walrus and you end up with Sonic the Hedgehog character names, lol), edgier tone, or level design/mechanics.

When it comes to Mega Man, though, I feel the original games are the best (and some of the later sequels, which I'll get to when I cover the second Legacy Collection).

I was definitely very mixed on Gunvolt myself, but it at least tried to do interesting things with a vaguely Mega Man-ish formula. I started the second game, but... I think I'm kind of burnt out right now.

I also want to get around to the Zero/ZX games someday as well. It's time I properly explored this series.

Except for the Mega Man X games.

RE: Witcher 3

Thanks! I was afraid my review came off as too nitpicky, but I felt like issues I had with it were ones I never hear being discussed by other people, and I wanted to properly convey my feelings about them.

It is a really solid experience, though, and I'm very excited to see how their game design improves with Cyberpunk 2077 (as CDPR has indicated it'll be a large-ish evolution from what came before in TW3, which, as you state, was already on that cusp of being great).

Ralizah

@Rudy_Manchego Bit late to the party (in my defense, I was away at the time), but I just wanted to chime in and congratulate you on achieving the platinum trophy for Bloodborne. You say it's not worth bragging about, but I think mastering a game that you even admit you're not particularly skilled at is more impressive than someone with better reflexes doing the same thing, since it speaks to your willpower and willingness to throw yourself at something utterly challenging for you.

I wasn't a fan when I first played it in 2015 or so, but it's one of those games I've always wanted to go back to and give another chance. I just didn't see this amazing story within the game itself, and I'm a bit jealous that everyone is having this great experience that didn't somehow translate for me. Maybe now that I'm a tad bit more versed in the design language of From Software's Souls games (I'd never tried one before playing BB), I'll have an easier time with it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

@Thrillho Interesting! re: Tropico 6. I actually have Tropico 3 in my Steam library, but I never knew what it was and, frankly, was a bit too lazy to research it.

I'm not typically a big simulation game person, but I'll admit that the idea of running a sort of banana republic in the tropics sounds more appealing to me than it probably should.

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah Thanks and welcome back! Hope all is well with you.

I understand what you mean - I am jealous that I couldn't get on with Sekiro because I don't doubt that the game is great and I know a lot of people on here really liked it and I trust their judgement. I do need to give the Souls games a good go but I keep putting it off (or returning to Bloodborne). I do find getting into it a bit overwhelming. I know some Souls fans think the weapons and upgrading to Bloodborne is too simple but for me it was perfect as the weapons and their strengths/weaknesses was pretty clear.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Thrillho

@Ralizah Even in a game designed to be played kind of like a dictator, I still try to appease rather than oppress my people.

Well, apart from rebels who get sent to the asylum and return to society as some of my biggest fans!

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

For such a simple premise Megaman has to be awkward with naming conventions doesn't it?

Sorry @Ralizah I meant Megaman ten... or eleven. Whatever the newest mainline megaman was with the gear shifting mechanic.

If they re-release Witcher 3 for PS5 I might actually get it to through the DLC content which does sound actually worthwhile compared to pretty much every other DLC.

It'd incentivise me more to get past the broader magical macguffin follow the Ciri plotline in the main game (seeing as I've only played the vanilla version) because as much as you can say it's more about the journey then the destination... It is unfortunately a bit weak, especially when you already know you chase ciri around for-bloody-ever.

I too am also looking forward to Cyberpunk. I'll wait for the PS5 version though just so my PS4 doesn't melt (or more likely have some framerate issues like Witcher did)

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

JohnnyShoulder

@Rudy_Manchego Yeah I thought the weapons were just about right too. There is much more to choose from in the Dark Souls games, but much of the different types of weapons all feel the same within there different categories really. And not everyone likes having so much choice as they could find it overwhelming. One of the reasons I disliked Nioh, injustice threw too much useless that at you continuously.

Congrats on the play btw, can't remember if said so or not. I am totes wely jely.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Solid write-up on Castlevania back there. I'm glad to hear that you at least had some good music to carry you through what otherwise sounds like a rough experience to return to. Has this game finally broken your recent Metroidvania mood, do you think?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Sounds smart; whenever I've struggled with an older game, I either reach for something simple, or I move ahead a couple console generations. Usually works.

Lots of buzz around Oddworld after Thursday's reveal. Seems like the perfect time!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@KratosMD Alucard has to be one of the most appalling names for a character ever! Ohllirht doesn’t work quite as well..

It’s funny how a game that has helped spawn what is now such a fundamental mechanic can hold up so badly though. Backtracking for the sake of length of a game is one of the worst gaming mechanics though so I’m not surprised to hear you struggled with it.

It made for a nice write up though!

Thrillho

Rudy_Manchego

Going to go completely off the beaten path in terms of what I played, but I'm going to comment on a wonderful little game I played via Apple Arcade called 'Little Orpheus'. I'm a huge fan of the Chinese Room, a small British indie studio that created 'Dear Esther', 'Amnesia: A Maching for Pigs' and 'Everybody's Gone to the Rapture' - one of my all time favourites of this generation.

The studio went through some hard times and basically closed after Rapture because funding fell through for their next game but the studio was effectively reopened under Sumo Digital and this is their first release. Obviously it is currently an Apple Arcade exclusive, produced by Apple I believe. I think it will get released on other platforms as they don't tend to force exclusivity deals but the only way to play will be with an Apple subscription and of course, with an Apple device. I played on my iPad with controller (and Apple TV).

So the plot of the game is you play as a 1960's Russian cosmonaut who has been missing for 3 years after he took a bomb to the centre of the earth for an experiement. The narrative is told via flashback as he recounts his tale to a disbelieving Russian General who is threatening him with a firing squad if they can't find the bomb. The game takes the form of a 2.5 platformer with light puzzle and platformer elements but like their previous stories, gameplay takes a bit of a backseat to story. This is not Braid or Super Meat Boy type game - it is really a comedy adventure story set within a platformer.

From a gameplay perspective, nothing to write home about. I played with controller and had a few instances of lag on the controls BUT I do think this was my controller rather than the game. You can play via touch pad and it works fine but I prefer controllers and I have an MSI compatible controller - though both the XB1 and DS4 works on Apple products now with no adapters needed. Some minor graphical glitches but that's it. Basically, if you don't like story games and want the gameplay to speak for itself, prob not for you - though I would say the game is never boring because of the story and asthetic.

Graphically, the game is stunning for what is a mobile game. It is a hefty 3.3 gb but the design is very 1960's, emulating Russian animation from the Soviet period in cutscenes and titles and the worlds are bright and creative. Tying it together is just a hilarious story of a hard to believe and quite cowardly cosmonaut trying to explain an incredible tale to a giant and dour Soviet General. The dialogue, timing and cut scenes are just so funny, and the voice acting is superb. It also helps if you know or are interested in Soviet history because it ties into the paranoia and space race era of the Soviet Age. If you are a fan of music, Jessica Curry returns with a collab with another composer for a great orchestral and very retro flavoured theme - a bit like old tv shows of the 1960s. It had a great end which I won't spoil and genuinely made me laugh out loud a few times.

The only real downside is that this is only available on Apple Arcade at the moment and handheld is the perfect place for this adventure but the audience will be limited. The Apple Arcade service is amazing, btw, for the money and the amount of good indie games but ultimately, you have to have access to those devices capable of running them. Still, if you can, a months trial is free and this is a great little narrative adventure comedy.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

johncalmc

I'm what I assume is near the end of Days Gone and I say it's a totally underrated game. Not amazing, not breaking all the rules, not redefining gaming, but what does? It's a totally good open world zombie I'M NOT SAYING FREAKER game and I like the characters and the hordes and stuff.

That said, I do have quibbles.

But it's still much better than I was led to believe.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Thrillho

@Rudy_Manchego Sounds fun and comedy is such a hard thing to get right in games.

Jessica Curry did a series on Radio 3 (there’s a radio 3?) at the end of last year on the sound of gaming which I’ve been meaning to check out. I didn’t realise there was an episode of 65daysofstatic either (great band; did the No Man’s Sky soundtrack).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009rfn

Thrillho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic