Forums

Topic: User Impressions/Reviews Thread

Posts 401 to 420 of 3,212

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy You might wanna edit your edit there.

@Ralizah Excellent retrospective, as well as appraisal of this classic's newest port. I like how honest you are when breaking down its gameplay and enemy types in particular; so many are afraid to touch those small handful of truly iconic games (with DOOM being perhaps the most iconic of them all) but I found myself agreeing with almost everything you said. Superb for its time, and unquestionably important in terms of gaming history, yet not without its flaws.

I grew up with the shareware PC levels, played them over and over, and then got the PS3 digital collection and enjoyed it enough. I'll still occasionally boot it up, if only for the nostalgia, although I've never managed to complete the Earth-based episode because its levels are frankly sub-par.

But you're right, I could never imagine playing it on handheld, and I'm sorry to hear the Switch version doesn't feel as fluid with those tiny thumbsticks. Glad you still managed to enjoy it, and finish it!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Oh lord... that... couldn't of got any worse. 😂

Cheers @RogerRoger and I hope not @Gremio108 😅

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

Darn, now I wish I could have seen what sort of embarrassing flub y'all are referencing.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks! Yeah, the rabbit thing is communicated near the end of the game, and took me by surprise. Nice little touch, though, and humanizes classic Doomguy a bit. I've not actually played through DOOM 2016, other than trying out the demo a few times (which, yes, I'm expecting to love, because it looks like modernized DOOM gameplay combined with amazing enemy variety and Metroid Prime-esque level design and platforming), but I get the sense that the Doom Slayer in that game is scarier than any of the demons he kills.

I... actually didn't know Doom on PS1 was another custom version. I should check that out. As I go through the series, I also plan on playing DOOM 64, which people tell me is essentially DOOM 2.5. I do sort of miss when consoles would get unique versions of games.

@RogerRoger Oh man, Episode 4 is such a kick in the teeth, especially on higher difficulties. Putting aside the borderline illogical level design, they start you off (thus, almost no weapons) in a level that's widely acknowledged to be one of the hardest in the entire series.

In general, it was the low-point of the game, and unlike the rest of the game, doesn't really have a coherent theme to it.

Speaking of DOOM and sacred cows in the industry, I'm eager to get to DOOM II: Hell on Earth and DOOM 3 as well, considering those two games are... well, they're sort of maligned when compared to the original. Like you, I have a habit of disagreeing with the public consensus on things, so I'm curious to see if that will extend to these games as well.

Yeah, in general, I find thumbsticks with gyro to be substandard for shooters, and then when you consider the Switch Lite has smaller than average ones... definitely not ideal, to the point where I bucked my own Nintendo preferentialism and went to PC to finish the series.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Thrillho

@Ralizah DOOM 2016 is great fun. And it keeps in with the style of play you describe for original game in that running and gunning is the way to play most of the game.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Let's just say, with a single different letter, @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy managed to inadvertently throw some serious shade on your "screenshots" back there!

Glad it wasn't just me who reached the fourth episode of DOOM and felt a serious shift in terms of enjoyment and accessibility. I don't mind the occasional maze; some of the best levels were those which made you stop and think for a minute, but there's a definite downgrade in quality when it comes back to Earth. Same things happen to a lot of overnight success stories (see Tomb Raider, et al.) when the developers hit a creative wall and would rather be doing anything but.

As somebody who tracked the critical mauling of DOOM 3, I'd be fascinated to hear your thoughts, particularly since you're a fellow contrarian! I never played it myself (the more realistic things became, the more scary and therefore I ran for the hills) but could be tempted to, now that I'm a little more grown-up.

Your comment about the Switch Lite thumbsticks reminds me of Killzone Mercenary on PS Vita. Wonderful game but I constantly felt like I was gonna snap the sticks right off the poor console!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Just replace the 'o' with an 'i' in the word screenshot...

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@Ralizah Great review. It’s not a game I have any plans to ever try (maybe I’ll eventually give the 2016 reboot a go) but it was an enjoyable read, all the same.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution You absolutely should. It's probably the most fun shooter I've played in a long time.

Have you played the new Wolfenstein games? It feels fairly similar but is even more silly (in a good way), fast paced, and all about getting in the enemies faces rather than hiding away.

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah apparently there's 28 levels from Ultimate DOOM, 23 from DOOM 2 and seven brand new (& secret) levels bundled into DOOM PS1 @Ralizah

From what I'm reading about the port it's similar to the Atari Jaguar version for the most part with some of the level geometry made easier, larger levels were cut entirely, there's less enemy variety per level due to hardware limitations and one enemy was cut...

Untitled
... Though we got this negative-like version of the spectre demon to compensate

It also has no memory card function and uses passwords...

...I think I remember why I never got far into it now 😅

I also replied to you in the chit-chat thread if you weren't aware 😁

Like Thrillho says @Th3solution DOOM 2016 is a pretty darn fun shooter! Get with the ripping and tearing like the rest of us! 😉

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Thrillho I have never been much of a FPS fan, but I like one every now and then for variety. With Doom Eternal set to release later this year, maybe they’ll give Doom 2016 away on PS Plus soon, which would be a good opportunity for me to try it. I’m not much of a fan of horror / demonic themes either. I can take it in small pieces, especially if it has some humor / comedy.
I haven’t played any of the Wolfenstein games either, for the same reasons. Also, I hear those are really hard.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution The first Wolfenstien I did not find too hard. I've only played a few hours of the second game, but found the difficulty all over the place. There are several difficult levels so you can always adjust it if you find it too difficult. You might be surprised at just how good the story and character development is though.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder @Arugula Oh yeah, I’m very lousy at FPS as far as skill goes. I usually can do fine on solo campaigns though; it’s multiplayer pvp that does my head in. And I love a good story, so I’ll have to keep it in mind.

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Sounds like a sort of 'best of' compilation of early DOOM. Although I'll admit I'm tempted to see what these exclusive levels look like. I'll need to go find a youtube playthrough and give it a looksee.

I've always detested password systems. And, considering there were even NES titles with save systems, I'm always a little underwhelmed when I discover a PS1 game that's reliant, in any way, on passwords. Like, the SNES had giant JRPG epics that took people weeks to beat, but you can't be bothered to design your game so that I don't have to write down a long string of nonsense.

@Th3solution Not a huge shooter nut myself (as I grow older, I find myself becoming increasingly averse to violence and cruelty in my entertainment; my edgelord teenager days are growing increasingly faint in the rearview mirror of my life), but there is a sort of zen once you get into the rhythm of these games. And, my god, DOOM Eternal just looks fantastic.

I won't be doing PVP in any of these games, btw. I've tried online multiplayer matches, and there's always the one person who is able to headshot you from across some huge map. Or the person who can accurately shotgun you while contorting their in-game body and jumping around like some jittery chipmunk hopped up on cocaine.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Oh and 2016 Doom is really good. Feels very kinetic and the music is awesome. People should should watch the live guitar performance of the composer. However, I never did finish it as I felt it got real samey quick towards the end. And whenever I tried going back to it I just got destroyed. Not being a retro gamer, i would skip the earlier Wolfenstein games and just go for the PS4 games. The gameplay in the earlier games feels very archaic these days.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I must admit, I am curious because Chris Ray Gun is always taking about Doom (2016) on Sacred Symbols. The satisfying feeling of the gameplay is typically what he lauds the most. But, he’s also a huge fan of Destiny and Halo, so I’m not sure his taste aligns with mine exactly.

Thrillho

@Th3solution I think DOOM 2016 has a demo on the store so you can always try before you buy. Maybe it will drop on PS+ but it is frequently in sales for less than a tenner.

Thrillho

mookysam

@Th3solution The Last Guardian sounds like an interesting balance between frustration and brilliance, often flitting between the two. I'm quite drawn to the emotional aspects you mention, but at the same time am put off by the controls as they were my main issue with the original Shadow of the Colossus. It ultimately sounds like something I'd like to experience, so thanks for putting it back on my radar.

Doom 2016 was great fun. I did find it a little tricky so turned it down to easy (I also played Wolfenstein: New Order and Old Blood on easy/very easy respectively). It has such an energy to it. The movement speed is great, it plays smoothly and weapons feel satisfying, the way you quickly shift from demon to demon. One aspect of the game I particularly liked is the level design. It encourages exploration and discovering collectibles. It feels retro but modern and new, given how most recent FPS games have eschewed this type of level design.

@DonJorginho Really excellent first review! Thank you for sharing it and I look forward to your next one.

@Ralizah Another brilliant, informative review. Doom is maybe a bit too dated for me to enjoy a full playthrough, but surprisingly I quite liked the "retro nightmare" levels in Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. Maybe playing it in moderation here and there .

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Th3solution

@mookysam Yeah, it’s interesting that Ueda’s other big game SotC was oft maligned for control issues. You’d be happy to know that the issues there of having to constantly hold a trigger button to keep your grip on the creature are rectified here and you automatically latch onto Trico if you simply just jump toward him. It is rare to fall off him, although I did have once when that frustration occurred and for some reason my character didn’t auto-grip when Trico made a huge jump and it bucked me off his back and I fell to my death. Anyways, so despite both games having complaints about controls, they are slightly different issues, so you might tolerate this version of problems better, I don’t know.
I think that lovers of animals (as I can see that you are, based on the current chit-chat musings) really should experience The Last Guardian, though. My guess is that as a whole, the game will particularly resonate with you if you have an affection for animalkind.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic