Forums

Topic: User Impressions/Reviews Thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 235

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Legendary. Such an enjoyable long-form read, with a real sense of your history with Mega Man franchise and your genuine frustration with its more challenging moments. I've sporadically attempted to play various Mega Man games on a friend's system before and... well, given my recent reaction to challenge-based gameplay and predilection for 3D games, let's just say that I didn't exactly form an instant connection to the Blue Bomber. So I totally got what you meant when you were trying to find that elusive element of your unique emotional experience, and I think the analogy you settled upon is a very apt one!

I also agree that today's ability to "just Google the solution" robs many older games of their charm, even if that charm is challenging. I'm currently playing a PS2-era game for which I have the Prima Strategy Guide; oh sure, it might be quicker and easier to get myself unstuck via the internet, but there's something about the "when in Rome" page-turning that, as you say, feels like part of the experience.

Shame that this Switch collection doesn't feel as loving as it could have, what with that slapped-together challenge mode (and I'm with you, stretched aspect ratios are evil and should be banned) but I'm glad you seem to have enjoyed your trip down memory lane. Excellent, excellent review. Thanks for sharing!

Edited on by RogerRoger

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Yup... That american Mega Man one cover is just as awful as I remembered it @Ralizah 😂

Untitled

The europe box art for the first is a fair bit better but...

Untitled

I have no idea what the hell they were thinking for megaman 2! That's disastrous! He's got a bowling pin for an arm! And he's silver too for some reason! As for the random floating cat face... I'm truly stumped 😁

At least in the american version it's nicely drawn and coloured aside from him being a late 30's guy in some cheap looking costume...

I look forward to the next MegaMan collection review... You piqued my interest on the next collection leaning on the goofier side of things and the whole series in general...

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

PSN:GoddessFoxy-E

》My No Commentary PS4 Youtube Channel《

Ralizah

Man, I COMPLETELY forgot to mention the Rewind feature in the collection. Had to go back and edit in a discussion of that, making the whole post that much longer.

@RogerRoger Thanks! I actually had your posts in mind when writing this: I enjoy how they're about your personal, subjective experiences with the games you play, and a bit of that approach (I don't really possess your knack for imbuing words with an omnipresent wit) seemed more appropriate for old games that really don't benefit from a more dispassionate analysis.

It's undeniable that, in many respects, the instant accessibility and gratification we can obtain from the internet robs certain aspects of life of a mystique and performative comfort. When I was little and had to buy strategy guides to uncover hidden things in games I liked, it definitely had a charm to it. It was the product of personal investment and passion. It was research. I couldn't go on Youtube and find a thousand people showing off every single inch of the game in question.

I do think this is probably just a universal reaction to growing older and seeing the the world change around you, though. I imagine that, when air travel first became accessible to the public, it probably felt like it was robbing domestic and international travel of some of its charm as well. It used to take days, weeks, or months to get to far-off places, but now everywhere was accessible within periods of hours or days! The sense of a personal journey had sort of evaporated. But I doubt any of us would seriously go back to a pre-air travel world if given the choice. And, in the same way, while I have hazy, rosy feels associated with my childhood, when the net was younger and convenience wasn't the order of the day, I'm... not sure I'd want to go back to a pre-modern internet era. It's almost unthinkable, really. That week or two every year when I go on a digital sabbatical with my family... it's fun, but not having access to the internet for immediate answers to my questions makes me feel like I'm missing some vital part of my body.

With that said, when it comes to my hobbies, I don't mind occasionally giving in to my nostalgia, when time and the tools available allow. If I had the strategy guide for a game, I'd absolutely pour over that instead of bothering with GameFAQs or Youtube. And this is also a big reason why I often play games on their original hardware. Emulation is an amazing thing, but there's nothing that replaces the experience of actually playing an old game on the hardware it was originally built to be played on.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Those covers are lovely. You're right, the...silver?...bomber in that box art for the second game straight up has a bowling pin for an arm. I mean, I can see what it's supposed to be, but I can't unsee the bowling pin. It really makes you wonder if these illustrators even knew anything about the games they were doing the box art for. Although it's so out of touch that there's a quaint charm to it all. Probably why the digital promo art for 9 and 10 are done in a similar style.

In fairness to those pieces of box art, though, Mega Man at least has an arm cannon. He's not just some middle-aged dude with a handgun, like in the American covers.

The second collection will be an easier time to talk about. They're more modern (1 SNES game, 1 PS1 game, and two PS3/360/Wii era games) and are pretty radically different from each-other in terms of game design (not always to their benefit, but at least they won't kind of blend together in my mind like the later NES Mega Man games).

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

mookysam

Been reading the reviews I've missed the past few weeks. Brilliant work everyone who's posted, I've enjoyed reading them all - particularly ones about games I've haven't played.

@Thrillho Guacamelee 2 is very enjoyable and doesn't take itself too seriously. I really liked the opening "recap" of the final boss fight from the first game with the Symphony of the Night references. However, at times it felt like the game maybe piled too many ideas on the already intricate puzzle-platforming, with a lot of things to keep track of. This was largely in the optional areas so maybe I was a masochist for doing them.

@KratosMD Nice one mate. I don't have much of a viewpoint on Pokémon Shield just yet and know that for some fans it seems to be a controversial entry. I've just reached the Wild Area and am liking the presentation and music thus far. The music doesn't sound like something you'd typically expect from Pokémon, so that's been a very nice surprise. I also like the new Pokémon so far. The fox one and psychic geometric ladybird are cute.

@Ralizah Brilliant and informative Mega Man review. Missed the collection in the recent PSN sale unfortunately, but it is reduced quite often. I don't have much of a personal history with Mega Man as I was a SEGA kid, and although I've wanted to get into the franchise for some time it's one of those gaming things I've never got round to. His inclusion in Smash Bros. has definitely resparked my interest in the character; it's been great learning from your review what entries his Smash Bros. moves have been borrowed from.

Going back a little further The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince has rather stunning art. Knowing me I probably would tear up!

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Another really informative and fascinating review. Soul Reaver sounds pretty amazing for its time.

@RogerRoger I'm not much of a Beer drinker so think I'll be drinking pineapple juice when I eventually get to the Star Wars party. 😂 Neat Bond reviews too!

Thank you NHS

PSN: mookysam

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Well, I'm deeply flattered, but you do yourself a disservice, sir / ma'am / non-binary / other. You always imbue your words with plenty, and it makes reading them a genuine pleasure.

And absolutely spot-on. There's an emotional core to handing over money for a strategy guide; it's a gesture of faith in the game and a desire to know more about it. I didn't just buy them for any old game, nor did I always buy them for games I was necessarily challenged by. The evolution of games themselves, as well as wider technology and internet access, means the printed strategy guide has gone the way of the dodo (last one I got, hardback with art prints so it was marketed more as a collector's piece anyway, was for Mass Effect Andromeda and even then, I found some of its data to be flat-out wrong after a handful of patches had been implemented). Perhaps, as you say, that's okay. Perhaps modern games are designed with the YouTube Let's Plays and "active post-launch communities" in mind.

As with all things, context is key. Gaming is a relatively young art form; it's not like when television channels have to edit what we today perceive as sexism and racism out of the early Bond films, when showing them on a Sunday afternoon. Going back twenty or thirty years and playing a retro game sans internet is a noble undertaking, particularly for those of us who remember growing up in those times, but for other, younger audiences, I can imagine it being quite the nightmare. Your drive to preserve the original experience is a noble one but, where that simply isn't possible, well... thank goodness retro sells, eh? Otherwise you might never have gotten this Mega Man collection to review in the first place.

PS: Since we're sharing review strategies now, let it be known that my next review will have some music embedded in it somewhere. I always appreciate the effort of showing, as well as telling, you and others undertake, and the soundtrack which accompanies my current choice of game is just too beautiful to sum up in words, so thanks in advance for the shamelessly-pinched idea!

@mookysam Pineapple juice all around! Beer is gross anyway. Thanks!

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

Batman: The Telltale Series

Untitled
Like I said..

Completion: 100% with the platinum as aways in Telltale games. Probably around 8 hours total.

Untitled
Standard Bats moodiness

Gameplay: If you've played a Telltale game before, you know what you're getting with the standard four option dialogue choices and occasional two option big decision.

As is often the case, it does feel like most of these decisions don't actually make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. I think there was only one main decision which affects things as you choose which villain to go after (but then swiftly dispatch the other in the next episode anyway) but the one you choose to go after does have a meatier bit of gameplay to it.

Untitled
Cliche bar brawl scene

Combat is obviously a big part of a Batman game and features quite heavily here. The vast majority of this is still via quicktime events but you can mess up (or simply not bother pressing anything) in about 90% of cases and the action still happens anyway; the rest will just make you replay the scene.

The one unique part to the combat in this game is that a few scenes allow you to plan your attack beforehand. This is quite cool but ultimately just lets you decide whether you're going to hit an enemy over the head with an object or throw them through a table etc. before then going into the QTEs to pull each move off.

A few scenes also see you having to link up a series of clues found in a region to figure out what is happening/has happened which works well but can get a bit annoying having to slowly walk around the area to click on one object to wander to the other object it needs to be linked to.

Untitled
A highly original episode name

Story: This is the main crux of these games and it holds up pretty well. The first episode is a bit of a plodder but beyond that it's relatively engaging. I know Batman mostly through the games and recent films where the backstory is fairly well established (if mentioned significantly at all) but this game goes a bit off piste.

Obviously, the Wayne parents still get killed but in this universe Thomas Wayne is a pretty shady character who is as corrupt as many of the people Bruce is taking on This makes for a fairly unique take on the standard story and sets up a lot of what goes on in the game.

The ensemble cast includes Harvey Dent, Catwoman, Penguin, plus a few extra characters who are all a bit different to other stories I've seen them in. The acting is a little wooden and there are a few glitches in the game when it flits between a unique bit of dialogue based on your decision and then back to the main dialogue.

Untitled
More lowlight moodiness

Overall: Maybe I'm just a bit bored of the Telltale setup now but I found this a bit clunky and uninspiring on the whole. The story does well enough to keep you interested but the art style feels a bit dated now, the dialogue choices feel like they don't really matter, and the QTE combat can be ignored which also makes it feel all a bit futile.

I'm glad I got this for free on PS+ a while ago but I won't be rushing to purchase the second series anytime soon.

Thrillho

Ralizah

@RogerRoger I'm looking forward to your next piece.

@Thrillho Yeah... I liked TWD when season one first released in 2011 or so, but I was very quickly over it with Telltale games. And the more time goes on, the less impressive their games seem in retrospect. I guess what I appreciated, and still appreciate, about them is showing that adventure games aren't a dead genre.

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Thrillho

@Ralizah The Wolf Among Us is well worth your time as it's such a fun universe the game is set in. I'm gutted there won't ever be a second series.

Tales From the Borderlands is great if you're into the Borderlands games as it nails the humour perfectly and the Telltale art style works well with the Borderlands cel shading.

Thrillho

Gremio108

@Thrillho I enjoyed Batman although Telltale's games had kind of lost any surprise for me by that point. I think it depends what order you play them in. I liked Telltale's Penguin, he was quite interesting.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Same here, I've got the second season to play when i fancy something a bit different.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Arugula

@Thrillho Good read though I'm a little in the other direction. The Batman Telltale games are certainly the fun I've had in the Batman universe in any game and only trail The Wolf Among Us from the Telltale stable. I'm still miffed they went under.

Arugula

Kidfried

@Thrillho Nice review, and I agree on many points too. Though my review would be a bit shorter: didn't like it.

Kidfried

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Good job @Thrillho!

... I've never actually played a Telltale game through myself. Only tried demos for the first episodes of a few series.

Shame batman felt rather stale for you

Oh and cheers @mookysam!

Glad you enjoyed reading my Soul Reaver Review! It was quite impressive for the time indeed and it's a shame I didn't get on with it more despite that and the rather nice opening hours

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Interesting thoughts, particularly since I kinda agree with you. It's a nervous start from Telltale, with one foot still in the previous generation. If you can continue to tolerate the clunky gameplay and somewhat-dated art style, however, then I'd highly recommend Batman: The Enemy Within (a.k.a. the second season) if you enjoyed the story's unique take on the bat-franchise. It was a marked improvement with a genuinely fantastic narrative, and it runs a lot smoother as well, even if you're still just completing QTEs and watching cutscenes unfold.

Thanks for the great write-up, because you've reminded me that I wanna replay The Enemy Within and see just how different I can make the outcome!

Making It So Since 1987

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

S'not going to be a review seeing as I only played it for 6-7 hours and it doesn't feel quite right reviewing something I only partially played recently (the save was started over two years ago)

However I finished Demon's Souls last night, putting in an extra hour of game time to beat the remaining three bosses of Maiden Astrea, King Allant and the real King Allant inside the old one

I think it's safe to say the Souls games are probably my most played game series at this point alongside Pokémon.

• I sunk over a hundred hours in this originally when I first played it for reason's I've gone over plenty times already.
  • I've played Dark Souls through twice (and I'll be getting Remastered to play it through again soon).
  • Dark Souls 2 three times (The original PS3 release once, Partway through the second playthrough of the PS4 Scholar edition)
  • Bloodborne twice.
  • Dark Souls 3 twice.

And you know what?

Demon's is bit naff after all that.

It's ridiculously unpolished.

• Whilst there's still the nice set pieces and art direction that the Souls series are known for... there are some truly awful PS1/PS2 era textures and graphics in this that even for me are too garish to ignore.
  • The balance is rather out of place with the healing items actually being rather plentiful and almost a bit too good. Especially if you're playing entirely at half health with how the tendency system is. Plus the Second chance miracle (I used it only once before dropping it) makes the game a joke with a half health auto revive.
  • Whilst the Tendancy system was and is a good idea on paper... It's horribly executed. Who thought that having enemies getting a power increase whilst simultaneously lowering player health was a good idea if the player keeps dying in human form? Being at half health is a penalty enough already in soul form.
  • The crystal lizard drops being random chance and only appearing five or so times before disappearing forever was a horrible descision that means your weapons are probably not gonna get upgraded to full at all unless you know where every one of those sparkly buggers are... and the upgrading system itself is again rather borked and unpolished with needing a ridiculous amount of stones.
  • The enemy AI really isn't quite good at all for that matter, it's rather easy to cheese them if you like (Hell it's easy to even if you aren't) and the combat as a whole feels particularly quite clunky.

Still there is some good points.

• The Tower Of Latria (well the first part at least) is very well designed. The "Prison of Hope" is still genuinely spooky with the Cthulhu headed guards roaming the halls and the prisoners that you can't quite trust as they'll either shiv you or fall to their knees in thanks of freedom

There's some good bosses too

• Maiden Astrea (more so for the moral quandry) whom became a demon just to help and comfort the poor citizens of the valley of defilement and you either kill the mostly defenceless Saint or kill her bodyguard which causes her to give up .
  • The Dragon God for all it's glorified set peicing/puzzleboss-ness is still better then the Bed of Chaos from Dark Souls (though it's way too easy),
  • False King Allant is a pretty good final test.
  • The Old Hero, Adjudicater, Fool's Idol and Phalanx also stand out of the earlier bosses.
  • (The Old Monk was one with the whole face someone else as the boss until the servers shut down years back, the generic phantom offline is far too easy)

All in all though I'm a bit disappointed revisting this... even if I did jump back on it halfway through.

I'm actually hoping that Bluepoint aren't working on a remaster for this... or that if they are... they overhaul it completely.

Gremio108

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah I was watching a youtube video of it recently and I was surprised at how shonky it looked (I've not played it since around 2011). When Bluepoint came out the other day and said it will be their "proudest achievement" it made me wonder about it. If it is Demon's Souls, then how much work have they done to make it their best remaster? It would almost have to be a different game entirely.

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah I'm hoping it more like a remake than a remaster of Demon Souls. The one game in the series that I've not played due to not having a ps3.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

Thanks again for all the kind words people. It felt a bit more of random thoughts for this one as there really isn't much to talk about.

@RogerRoger I am intrigued by the second part and what they do with Joker in particular but it won't be anytime soon.

Thrillho

Thrillho

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I haven't seen anything of Demon's Souls but I can't say I'm surprised it feels a bit dated now. For a first foray into such a game though, they must have got something right to be able to come back with Dark Souls. But seeing as each game would have tweaked and improved on the last (mostly), it's not surprising to hear it's a struggle to go back to.

I can't believe there was ever a Souls game that was overly generous with health though!

Thrillho

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I've only recently heard of the stories of Shuhei Yoshida calling an early build of Demon's Souls crap @Gremio108 and honestly I can really see why he might've thought that with much clearer eyes on the game.

Demon's isn't terrible... But good lord the Soul series really has gone from strength to strength over the years.

I was a bit disapointed when it was revealed Dark Souls remastered was only going to be an upscale... but I was also rather glad it wasn't going to altered in any way as I do think it's well crafted (At least I hope it is when I return to it soon!)

... Honestly I think this the first time I'm actually more or less ok with someone giving it a serious overhaul in the remake department as @JohnnyShoulder suggests

Ha ha i know it's pretty hard to believe @Thrillho but I had:

• 60 each of Crescent, Half & Late moon grasses
  • 80 Full Moon grasses
  • 45 New moon grasses
  • and about 20 Dark moon grasses

It is rather generous with them (especially if you are in white tendancy)

Plus the second chance miracle (which you can get from the soul of the Old Hero) can apparently even be recast for unlimited auto revives! I thought it was only once per trip... Utterly broken! Mp recovery items are pretty cheap too! 😂

I can't believe this game nearly broke me the first time round!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic