Forums

Topic: User Impressions/Reviews Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 3,213

HallowMoonshadow

I didn't see your Abzu review til after I posted my Soul Reaver one @RogerRoger 😅

Sounds like you had a... whale of a time!

Ok I'll sea myself out

Certainly sounds like quite a relaxing and more thoughtful experience... Like Journey or Flower but ya know.... Underwater.

And completely different to Soul Reaver!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

KALofKRYPTON

Great reviews!

@RogerRoger
ABZU does seem like it'd be quite worthwhile - once I get off my arse and actually play some more!

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy
Great write up. I've no intention of playing SR again. Your review very much confirms the lurking boot of reality stomping nostalgia!
I'll be interested in your review of the sequels if you play them. I never did.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

HallowMoonshadow

I'd totally be up for a remake of Soul Reaver @Th3solution! But not a MediEvil/Crash/Spyro one that's basically a remaster... A proper full blown remake.

It's apparently in some Square-Enix inititive but no developer has come up with a good idea

I'll definitely try at least 1 more in the series @KALofKRYPTON... especially as Soul Reaver 2 can be picked up for £2!

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Thanks! You've described exactly what I set out to achieve, so you just made my day. Add another game to the successful recommendation / reinforcement list!

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I know what it's like to be happily typing away, only for others to bundle in and add to a topic before you hit "post reply", so no worries! As for your fish jokes, this is neither the time nor the plaice. My cod. Okay, one more for the halibut (yikes, that was weak).

Really enjoyed reading your review of Soul Reaver, too! I didn't click any of the spoiler tags because, as I read, I kinda got the urge to try it for myself sometime. It doesn't sound 100% like my thing, but I remember when it was a "big deal" game on the PSone and nostalgia for that, coupled with your impressions and the knowledge that it's available on PS3 as a PSone Classic, makes me curious. So even if I end up hating the game, thanks for making me check it out, as it's never a negative to try new things.

@KALofKRYPTON It's the ultimate chill game so yeah, if you're looking for something to ease you back into gaming, you can do worse than an evening underwater. It's short, but sweet and atmospheric and unusual and so I'd be curious to hear your take on it. Hope you enjoy it if / when you do!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger
Probably a big if at the minute - I do really want to get back on the horse with Deathwing - then I can come back and bore everyone with lore and screenshots!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I did check the screenshot topic, just in case you'd made good on your promise!

But it's cool. Despite my love of gaming, there are some days you couldn't pay me to pick up a DualShock, just as there are other days when the thought of sitting through a 90-minute movie gives me a headache. You'll get your groove back soon, I'm sure.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Rudy_Manchego

@JohnnyShoulder I played it on Gamepass and I feel like I ought to support the devs so may buy again on Switch when it gets a release!

@RogerRoger Thinking about it, I have played Bioshock differently to see all the endings though I hated doing it - killing all the children was just too traumatic for me. Maybe that put me off...

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@Rudy_Manchego Yikes. That's probably it, yeah. I've had BioShock recommended to me a couple times, but "killing all the children" doesn't exactly sound like fun times!

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Considering it's only £3.99 or so @RogerRoger as a PS3 classic I'd definitely consider it worth a punt, even if you end up a bit disheartened by the end of it after the great first few hours like me

I'd be very interested to hear what you think, especially after playing it yourself and seeing if you agree or not at what's underneath those spoiler tags

Ralizah

Wow. This thread is bumpin.

I put off my planned review for another, shorter one, because its scope is growing beyond what I had anticipated, lol.

@Rudy_Manchego I had mixed feeling on Oxenfree. It sounds like Afterparty is a bit of a disappointing follow-up to that game RE: the lack of branches in the narrative web.

I will say, though: alcohol and its consumption changing dialogue options sort of reminds me of VA-11 Hall-A. Also, the bar setting. VA-11 Hall-A isn't precisely set in hell, but its merciless, corporatist cyberpunk setting might feel like it to certain segments of the population.

@RogerRoger Yeah, despite not liking (to put it nicely) Abzu, I'd agree the music and sound design in general were pretty good. That was also a strength of the very similar Journey.

Sounds like you enjoyed your time with it!

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Nice. This is one of those games I saw on the shelf in video/game stores for years (god, I can remember video stores in my childhood; I AM getting old!), but never got around to actually trying it. It's a shame to hear that the story and gameplay aren't really up to snuff considering how ahead of its time it sounds in terms of the voice acting (it took at least two more generations before good video game voice acting became the norm, really), graphics, and load times (particularly impressive on PS1, which felt like it had painful load times for EVERYTHING).

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

It's quite interesting as I just read up about it's pc release which was about three months after it came out on PS1 and a number of those reviews back in the day derided it for being a "ported PS1 game" in terms of Soul Reaver's graphics @Ralizah ... some things never change

I assume on GoG or Steam it's fairly cheap just like the PS3 classic version.

When I got it last week on my US PSN it was in a sale for $3.59 (or $1.19 if you had plus) compared to the normal tag of $5.99. Certainly a worthwhile price for the sales... Not sure about $5.99 though...

Only problem now is The Legend Of Dragoon is back into my possession once again (Which I mainly had got the $10 gift card for) and I'm severely tempted to side step the Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2 again... 😂

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy That's a very fair price, thanks! Will grab it ASAP.

@Ralizah Wow, you really didn't like ABZÛ, then? That's fair enough. Guess you're reinforcing my conclusion that these kinds of games live or die based on each player's individuality.

I've been listening to the soundtrack all day, and am about to return for the trophies I missed.

Each to their own!

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Nah. I've discovered I deeply dislike the sort of artsy, plotless games where '"gameplay" consists of pushing forward on the stick.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah I thought that'd be my reaction, honestly, so I can understand your position. I think it's why I've yet to play Journey (considered the greatest example of the sub-genre) and it took a long, occasional route via Firewatch and Virginia to gradually ease me into games like RiME and ABZÛ. One of these every six months or so, as a palette-cleanser between my usual fare, works for me but I couldn't play them forever, or even close together.

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Apparently it's actually £4.99 @RogerRoger!

I admittedly assumed it was £3.99 like most of the ps1 games in the ps3 classics in the uk store that aren't the higher £7.99 (which are usually the Final Fantasy/RPG games) 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy An extra quid...?! Right, that's it, the deal's off.

Thanks for the confirmation. It'll be a while before I'm back on PS3 anyway, so it might be in some kind of sale by then anyway (if I remember to look, of course).

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger I've not played RiME, but I was under the impression it was more of a puzzle-platformer.

Journey, like I said, is not to my liking, but it's certainly better than Abzu, if only because I didn't have to keep R2 squeezed down for 4 hours. Also, you can sort of communicate in chirps with other players. It's an interesting idea, and the music is fantastic, so you'll probably like it.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah RiME is more of a game-game, yeah, but in a very simplistic sense. There's nothing that'll have you scratching your head, and its dialogue-free reliance on symbolism puts it comfortably between Virginia (a mute, yet human, story) and ABZÛ, at least in "What's the point of all this?" terms.

Thanks for the Journey recommendation. I'll keep it in mind for when it's next in a sale, or when I next have the urge to play one of these brief diversion games.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger If you're a PS+ subscriber, you might already have access to it. It was an IGC selection a while back.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Alas, I don't tend to hit "Add to Library" on everything given away with PS Plus. I know that's somewhat foolish of me, but I like keeping things neat and tidy, and so many PS Plus games are things I think I'll never play (and then end up spending a tenner on a couple months later, but hey). Thanks for the thought, though.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic