Forums

Topic: The Xbox 360 Juke feels a bit rubbish these days

Posts 1 to 20 of 22

themcnoisy

I was playing virtua tennis 4 last night on my old xbox 360, its a bit rubbish - but what made it worse was the controller. After the luxury of the PS4 pad, the once king of the console controller league. Is now unresponsive, heavy and a bit cramped for my liking. What's everyone's thoughts?

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Jaz007

Sorry but that sort of topic is not allowed here -Tasuki-

Edited on by Tasuki

Jaz007

Splat

I was never a fan to be honest. Their controllers are the main reason I have never owned a X-Box,X-Box 360 or One.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Tasuki

My biggest problem with the Xbox controllers are were the X,Y,A, &B buttons are. After years of playing Nintendo and to a lesser degree Playstation console when I see or hear one of those buttons I instinctively go where they are on a SNES or Playstation controller in the case of X. Also Right Bumper and Right trigger confuse me I just call them R1 and R2. To this day I don't know which on is trigger and bumper without looking at the controller.

Design though I think it's a good design it feels alot sturdier the a PS controller. The only things I don't like besides the button placing is the dpad and the fact is that it uses batteries.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

themcnoisy

@Splat: The 360 pad was better than the ps3 pad though wasn't it?

I'm talking more about the delay and the buttons - they are rubbish on the juke.

@Tasuki: I've found the trigger / bumper conundrum to be fairly easy. The back deep shoulder button goes in like a trigger (the furthest back). The back shallow button is the bumper - as in bump.

JLPick

Even though I never enjoyed the Playstation One, and never really got into the PS2, I do love the controllers now, and since they don't really change, it's nice to enjoy a controller that fits easily in your hands and the button layout never changes. The only other controller that really felt comfortable to me was the Gamecube. I never like the X-box controllers for the size and heaviness, as my hands seem to cramp up holding it for a long period of time...still though, it's a better controller than the N64's...that controller was weird! Other than the battery thing, the 360 did offer the wireless ones with a charger and the plug-into the console ones...and don't forget that the Wii also used batteries.

JLPick

PSN: JLpick

BAMozzy

Personally I never had an issue with the XB360 controller and always found it responsive. I must admit I haven't tried it for a year or so now - not for any prolonged gaming anyway. I still think it is the best gen 7 controller and I make no secret that I much prefer the thumbstick layout too. I wonder though if its that games feel more responsive and less clunky on Gen 8 compared to gen 7 - Maybe I ought to try my XB360/PS3 now after spending the last year or 2 exclusively gaming on XB1/PS4

I also have NO issue with the fact it takes batteries. In fact that is something that in my mind is a major positive over Sony's DS controllers. AA batteries lasted a LOT longer and can instantly be replaced to carry on gaming. Rechargeable batteries get worn out too meaning that you either buy a new controller or have to use it wired. With the Xbox controllers you can just replace the batteries and you can also get a rechargeable battery pack for it too. I am lucky if I get 3-4 hours of gaming from my DS4 (brand new - although I am using a headset) yet can get a few days from a rechargeable battery pack on my XB1 controller and weeks from AA batteries and that's using a headset too!

I also think the build quality of the XB360 controller was the best - well until I bought my XB1 elite controller. I have not been impressed with the build quality of gen 8 controllers.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

get2sammyb

It's much the same with the PS3 to be honest. The new-gen systems have so many little quality of life improvements that it's hard to go back.

The DualShock 4's definitely a great controller, though, so I can see how playing on something different would feel awkward at first.

Splat

themcnoisy wrote:

@Splat: The 360 pad was better than the ps3 pad though wasn't it?

Not for me. PS controllers just feel like home.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Jaz007

@Tasuki: I wasn't talking about emulation, I thought you could do it straight. Don't we allow talk abut previous gen emulation anyway though? (I don't condone pirating games though)

Jaz007

Tasuki

@Jaz007: Nope we don't allow any talk of emulation or moding here. Wither it's currently or past. I know NL does things different there but that's them not us.

And to answer your question no there isn't only forbidden ways can you use a PS4 DS on Xbox 360. You can however use a DS 4 on a PS3 maybe that's what you were thinking.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki: me too the Gamecube/Wavebird controller was one of the best controllers i have ever used

on topic: the 360 controller wasn't that bad although it is a bit big for me and hurts my hands after a while, although if your going on xbox controllers this one is MUCH worse

Untitled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

DerMeister

@FullbringIchigo Good lord that controller was a nightmare.

Maybe it's because I'm used to Playstation controllers, but I've always hated the 360's controller. It always felt like a bar of soap in my hands, about to slip out and fly across the room. I had to grip it in such an odd way that my hands would cramp after 20 minutes or so. I especially hated the controller whenever I played Street Fighter, because of the crappy D-pad.

I will say the controller is very sturdy, and is something I definitely prefer over Playstation controllers, which are pretty delicate.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

sub12

The Xbox had the best controller for two generations IMO, the S type Xbox controller from 2002 to 2005, and the Xbox 360 controller during the previous generation.

Until the DS4 (which I love), the dual shock line felt flimsy IMO and the triggers and sticks were pretty lackluster at best. It's one of the main reasons Playstation did not appeal to me for some time.

Edited on by sub12

sub12

BAMozzy

I actually had no issue with the big Xbox original controller but I do have large hands. I do have a bit of joint problems and mild arthritis in my hands too so the large controller really suited my hands a lot better than Playstation controllers.

The DS3, for example, was uncomfortable for me to game for any length of time because of its size. I thought the fact that the symmetrical layout was the main cause of why my hand - particularly the left, would cramp up after an hour (+/- 15mins) in FPS games and I couldn't play more than 30mins of a racing game because of the way the triggers were situated. However with the DS4 having more bulbous grips and the triggers situated at a more natural angle, I haven't suffered anywhere near as much discomfort.

In my opinion the Xbox has had the best controller in terms of comfort, build quality etc. However with Gen 8, the gap is nowhere near as vast. The standard (excluding Xbox Elite Controller - which I consider to be the best built gen 8 controller) build quality is not that different between them - maybe slightly better with the XB1 because of the rubber on the thumbsticks - although my 2nd DS4 has a different thumbstick and I have never had issues with the triggers, the comfort is no longer an issue etc. I do prefer the fact I can use standard batteries or a rechargeable pack with the XB1 but the DS4 has more options with its touch-pad and six-axis potential. It does annoy me that my DS4 never lasts a game session in terms of its 'charge' and I always end up having to plug it into my laptop to carry on playing - Its easier than having he cable trailing across the floor.

I would have still bought a PS4 had they retained the DS3 design exactly but it would have limited my game session time on that console.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Utena-mobile

@BAMozzy:
lol. I'm the complete opposite. I only played with the original xbox controller a few times but I remember hating that controller because of how huge it was. I couldn't reach all of the buttons at once and kept having to cradle it in my lap to prevent it from falling. Not fun at all. But it was never an issue because we owned a gamecube. Then we got a ps3 and holy crap, did I turn into a video game nerd after that. I played my ps3 so much my ds3 is all shiny and smooth with worn off writing (my original one still works, although I have a limited edition Lightning Returns version for when it finally dies).
But because my hands are small I hold my ds3 in a "2-finger claw" position, and the Xbox 360's controller never felt natural to me because it forced me to use a "trigger" hold. So much so, that now that I own an XB1 (my first XB console), I've kept on using the "claw" instead of the "trigger".
Strangely enough, this has made me like the DS4 less, because the way the R2 and L2 buttons are made, it is built more for "trigger" holds, and ironically, it is now sony's controller that doesn't feel natural when holding it with a "claw."

Utena-mobile

Tasuki

@DerMeister: Lol yeah the Duke was a bit odd but I kinda like it. As for fighting games all controllers are horrible IMO except for the Sega Genesis 6 button controllers and later on fighting pads. I don't like using shoulder buttons to attack with it just feels awkward to me. The only fighting game I can really play with a standard controller is Tekken but that one doesn't use the shoulder buttons for attacks.

My Backlog

sub12

@Tasuki:

Coming off of the Dreamcast in 2001, the Duke controller was ok......I'm not going to say it was great, but it was certainly serviceable and a knock above any third party controller.........that said, the Super controller was the best of that Gen IMO.

Edited on by sub12

sub12

themcnoisy

How about this neo geo / ps2 hybrid controller for Tekken @Tasuki

I always wanted a 4 button neo geo pro controller but by the time I could afford one 4 buttons simply wasn't enough. Aesthetically still the best looking in my opinion.

Edited on by themcnoisy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.