Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda

Posts 161 to 169 of 169

Gamer83

Game definitely runs better on the Switch now as well. Didn't notice any issues at all when I was playing a few hours ago. Prior to the patch, some areas had some obvious and annoying frame rate drops.

Gamer83

Ralizah

Korok Forest is WAY smoother now. Not perfect, but I didn't see any of the obnoxious lagging that I had before.

This will be nice once I do my second hard mode playthrough!

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

I was playing it docked last night and it ran way better in forest areas then previous. Now Horizon is done, time to hammer this game properly. It is tough going over to such a non linear world when I have got used to having clean objectives...

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

mookysam

I've temporarily put this to one side now to play Persona. I've very much enjoyed parts of it and it is a good game but to me it's not a "Zelda" - it's an open-world survival RPG. I've missed traditional dungeons a lot and the wonder of getting a new item providing new gameplay opportunities. The main reason for leaving the game for a bit is I reckon the world is too big and it was starting to really fatigue me. That is not to say the world itself isn't lovely but they could have achieved much of the same if it was even half the size and a lot denser. I like having clear objectives and a strong narrative driving everything forward. I've realised I much prefer linear games as they tend to a lot more tightly focused. Hopefully the next Zelda game will be an awesome 2D entry like A Link Between Worlds.

mookysam

PSN: mookysam

KratosMD

@mookysam I have the same problem with sandbox games in general. That's why I've hold off on playing Horizon and I even play Zelda maybe once or twice a week, not more than that. I really need some narrative to keep me going and sandbox games usually don't offer that in such a high capacity as linear games. That's why I love Persona because it's all about the story and I can see myself not losing interest for a long time in that game.

But don't get me wrong, I love sandbox games deep down because they're your own playground to do whatever you want and those kinds of games are amazing. But after one have played so many of them, then you start to lose interest quickly in new games in that genre. It's really nothing wrong with the games, it's more like starting to feel fatigue so I'm basically in the same boat as you are in that regards. With that said, I'm still aware of the ambition that BotW holds and I embrace it wholly so it's not like I let my own behaviour affect the opinion that I have of the game. I can easily say that this is the best Zelda game ever created because this is the ideal game that Miyamoto had in his mind when he created the original game for the NES.

KratosMD

kyleforrester87

Sandbox games are fine but if a game offers 100+ hours of gameplay you have to wonder how much of that time is just spent running back and forth. This padding can really begin to grate!

So yeah I'll generally take a game like Resident Evil 7 over Horizon any day.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 BotW is all about exploration, though: if you don't dig that aspect of the game, you're not going to care much for it. It's not padding when the entire game is designed around that one thing. Same with any exploration-focused sandbox, really.

I don't mind more linear games as long as I feel like I have plenty of choice. A game like Persona that allows you to explore dungeons, choose how to spend your day, etc. is fine for me. What I don't like are games where I feel like they are constantly pushing me forward on a completely predetermined narrative path, and don't allow for any meaningful interaction with the in-game characters/environment. If I want an experience that controlled, I'll just watch a movie.

Ralizah

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah I am with you there, it's why I'm not really a fan of the Uncharted games. I mention Resident Evil as it is linear but you don't feel like you're having your hand held through an "experiance". Same with something like Bloodborne I guess. As far as Zelda and other open world games, exploration is all well and good but when you see in the first 3 hours the extent of what the game will have to offer (to varying degrees) over the next 100 hours it just becomes tiresome.

Nier was nice, in that the way it told its story and introduced and dropped systems periodically. I played for 50 hours and it managed to keep surprising me. As fun as Horizon is I felt more burnt out after 30 hours.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 Can't speak to Horizon yet, but for me, BotW was a constantly compelling experience, and a big part of that is that I WANTED to explore everything. Most open world games feel too samey, or don't control well enough to inspire that feeling in me, but a combination of amazing world design, intuitive, fun to use controls that easily enable freedom of movement, and a variety of things to find and physics systems to exploit made the game pure fun for me (other than that one stealth mission, which sucks! Stealth missions were the bane of my existence in Gravity Rush 2 as well. And The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. In general, the Japanese need to stop including sections in games where you fail if you're spotted).

But, by and large, I agree: I'll almost always take a well-designed linear game with some degree of freedom over a big open-world game with a million objectives vomited out randomly across the map. It's the big reason I rarely play Ubisoft games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.