Forums

Topic: The Greatest Console Of All Time Poll

Posts 121 to 138 of 138

sub12

@themcnoisy:

3 = Dreamcast (huge jump from the previous generation, and it was also the first + the Dreamcast gave out it's vibe aesthetically, bright colors, blue skies, the SEGA touch)

1 = SNES (The best graphics of it's gen, the most sprites and colors, even if the Genesis and Turbo could better handle CPU intesive genres like shooters and fast platformers)

1 = PS1 (could handle 3D better than the Saturn for the most part, and it came out a good year and half before the N64......and although I would reckon that the N64 could handle expansive 3D environments better and didn't have texture warping issues, the PS1 could in turn to do certain things that the N64 would struggle with due to hardware limitations. )

0 = PS2 (when the PS2 first came out, the Dreamcast looked just as good if not better in some cases, when the PS2 had been out for a couple of years, it couldn't compete with either the GCN or Xbox.............it also suffered with the washed out = PS2 vaseline effect. Sure, it had many great games with great graphics, it was no Wii, but it still doesn't deserve any points in this specific category)

Edited on by sub12

sub12

RR529

Graphics:

SNES - 3
PS2 - 2

While it's the oldest sytem in the competition, the SNES was pretty powerful for it's time, and it's spritework holds up extremely well to this day.

PS2 didn't have the best graphics of it's generation, but I've played on all three 6th gen consoles (though PS2 & GCN most extensively), and they were all close enough to be relatively on par. Plus, I feel that many games of that era only need an HD upscale to still look good.

PS1 (& N64) graphics don't hold up at all today (no matter how revolutionary they were at the time, and I do remember being blown away at the commercial for OoT), and I've never played the DC.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WiiWareWave

@sub12: What games did you play on the PS2? Technically the GCN was superior in that regard, but none of its games even came close to tapping into the console's potential, the PS2 on the other-hand...

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

PSN: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

themcnoisy

Result so far based on the 3rd topic - Graphics. voting closes at 10pm UK time tonight. Thanks for voting everyone on the forums.There's still time for everyone who hasn't.

Dreamcast - 12
Snes - 11
PS2 - 8
PS1 - 4

Everyone still to vote, 5 points split between the 4 consoles above, max 3 points to any 1 console based on GRAPHICS.

Overall winner so far;

PS2; 43
SNES; 40
PS1; 33
Dreamcast; 29

Best Games;
PS2 - Winner
PS1 - Runner Up

Best Hardware;
SNES - Winner
PS2 - Runner Up

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@Rukiafan7: I would say Super Monkey Ball (original), F Zero GX, Wind Waker, Soul Calibur 2 (best version Imo and I owned all 3 at one point), Metroid Prime, Rogue Leader and Aggressive Inline. I loved the GameCube, but its lack of software crippled its awesomeness. (I sound like a Muppet there hope you know what I mean)

Edited on by themcnoisy

Epona14

Um...SNES - 3 points and PS1 - 2 points.

I live next door to the NL and PS member @ReanSchwarzer. :)
Avid collector of Cardcaptor Sakura Plushies!
Also a member of http://www.wiiwarewave.com/

themcnoisy

Result Graphics;

Dreamcast - 14
Snes - 14
PS2 - 11
PS1 - 6

Dreamcast just pips it on rollback, (last vote discounted in the event of a draw) didn't think I would have to use that this poll.

All winners coming right up.

themcnoisy

Overall winner and Best Console of All Time!

The Playstation 2

PS2; 46
SNES; 43
PS1; 35
Dreamcast; 31

Best Games;
PS2 - Winner
PS1 - Runner Up

Best Hardware;
SNES - Winner
PS2 - Runner Up

Best Graphics;
Dreamcast - Winner
SNES - Runner Up

Thanks for taking the time to vote everyone. I will be seeing y'all in December for the Forum Goty poll!

sub12

Hmm.......it's hard to argue against the PS2's library, perhaps the most variety out of any console? It wouldn't be my choice overall, but I understand why people would pick it.

sub12

sub12

@Rukiafan7:

Hey, I was a GCN and mostly Xbox gamer during that generation...........most of my friends had a PS2 however, so I did become pretty familiar with it and we borrowed the console a couple of times during high school...............but overall, when the PS2 first came out, I remember thinking "seriously?, the Dreamcast looks just as good if not better than any of this"..........and a couple of years later I remember thinking "all of these games look pretty bad (technically) compared to my Xbox".

sub12

WiiWareWave

@sub12: Check-out footage of games such as Rogue Galaxy, .hack://G.U, and Final Fantasy XII. Games released late in the PS2's life-cycle looked every bit as good as some of the best looking Wii titles. Also Star Ocean: Till The End of Time looks fantastic for a PS2 game released in 2003.

Edited on by WiiWareWave

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

PSN: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Gamer83

I still think it's always going to be an impossible choice between PS2 and SNES. You can make a strong case for either but it also needs to be brought up any time it's argued, that each era of gaming was vastly different. One thing that SNES does have going for it that deserves mention, it was the best console in the best era of gaming. I'm a Genesis guy, but there's no denying facts. PS2 stood out head and shoulders above its competition but neither Gamecube or Xbox provided Sony the kind of competition Sega did for Nintendo in the 16-bit days.

Gamer83

sub12

@Gamer83:

Not to mention that the 16 bit era has aged very gracefully IMO. From the SNES, Turbo, arcades, and Genesis, developers had mastered 2d, and the sprite artwork on display was simply superior to what we see in many of today's indie titles.

Edited on by sub12

sub12

themcnoisy

@sub12: @Gamer83: @Rukiafan7: Thanks for voting, we ended up with 3 different winners in the sub genres and an overall winner which is arguably the right one for a lot of gamers. My favourite will always be the PS1, too many of my favorite games I have an emotional and nostalgic connection to.
I had a Megadrive for years before even playing on a snes so it wasn't so amazing. The PS2 was good, but similar to you sub I preferred the Gamecube and once I bought an xbox, well its a no brainer - onboard hard drive was its killer feature. No more memory cards! But we were lucky to have 3 brilliant consoles at the time.

themcnoisy

@get2sammyb I'm unsure if you have done this before, but a best playstation console vote in an article would be good.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.