Forums

Topic: The Definitive Best Game of All Time Forum Megapoll!

Posts 261 to 280 of 1,645

Hego

Star Wars BF 2
Mass Effect 3
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Danganronpa 2
Wolfenstein 3D

Hego

PSN: Duke-of-Styria

mookysam

@Octane Is the first Sonic really that fast? Outside of short bursts the Mega Drive Sonics never focused that much on raw speed.

@KratosMD Odyssey is excellent and has some great worlds (especially New Donk City) and lots of new ideas. On the other hand it felt quite bloated at times, where as I would say the Galaxy games are much tighter and everything has purpose.

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

DerMeister

-Battlefront II, still one of the best Star Wars games. Shame that other one has the same name.
-Mario Galaxy 2. A good enough follw up to my favorite 3D Mario.

Haven't played the rest, and I lost my coin.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

kyleforrester87

@BAMozzy ehh for all the glitz of the reboot nothing in that game beat the feeling I got coming across wolves for the first time, entering St Francis Folly, turning iron to gold on Mida's hand and just the general scale of the environments and the sense of descovery and awe it inspired.

The reboot was a good enough game, but pretty much by the numbers for its time. Where as the original was, as you've alluded, a revolution.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Rudy_Manchego

Tomb Raider PS1
Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1
Sonic The Hedgehog
Wolfenstein

Tight one with BF2 but I loved Tomb Raider.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

@KratosMD If we pretend Skyward Sword doesn't exist, BOTW is my least favourite 3D Zelda game. Odyssey is pretty good, but it's not quite 64 or Sunshine. The Galaxy games are too linear for me. The sense of exploring was gone. Galaxy 1 was saved by the brilliant music and atmosphere, something which the second one lacked. It felt more like Super Mario Skybox than Super Mario Galaxy.

Octane

BAMozzy

@kyleforrester87 The problem is with most games these days is that as far as game-play etc, its very difficult to come up with something truly unique, a 'first'. They are much more likely to rely on the story and character and the game-play is more a means of getting from one situation to the next. Its difficult for a game today to be something as incredible as going from 2D to 3D or hearing 'proper' dialogue between characters. Even coming up against a giant robot T-Rex in H:ZD isn't as spectacular as it coming up against T-Rex in Tomb Raider or Turok for that matter. Talking of Turok, the Cerebral Bore is still something 'special' but those were more 'land marks' because they were 'firsts'.

For me, I loved the Reboot because of the way Lara felt like a real person. The depth of her character and the emotional connection I felt to her plight. The world felt brutal and Lara was vulnerable - at least in the early stages. We had a real sense of her and her growth throughout the game as she first fought to survive and then fought for her friends.

Like I said though, Super Mario 64 will always be a game that gave me the sense of freedom and control that 3D gaming offers but no game before it really did. It was a game that blew me away for that but it certainly isn't the 'best' 3D game but those games don't 'wow' or give that same sense anymore because they are now commonplace and the norm.

I am sure that if the original Tomb Raider released today, it wouldn't have the impact that it did in 96. The 3D action-adventure game is now far more saturated and it would probably not stand up against the competition. I know we may not have had Uncharted - although we may have done as Indiana Jones was also a big influence but TR wouldn't have the impact that it did when it released. I do think that the reboot is a better game too but because its in a more competitive era, its not going to feel as fresh or new as the original. Its difficult if you compare the games of yesteryear directly with modern games with better camera, better controls, more varied game-play, better realised characters etc but if you look at the games in the era they released, Tomb Raider was a landmark title where as the new one was just another 3D action adventure game - a very good one but still one of many.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

AdamNovice

Star Wars Battlefront 2
Telltale's The Walking Dead
Sonic The Hedgehog
The Witness

AdamNovice

Twitter:

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy Ive had that new feeling with statik on vr and in the vr playroom when I looked behind me and a robot started waving back. VR is a completely different way to game and with the right game has blown my head off. If a good new designer comes along focusing on vr we are going to see stuff unimaginable to what we are playing now. But yes on a screen with a controller its difficult to come up with new ideas, fez and the witness stand out for me in that regard this gen.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Th3solution

Tomb Raider
Sonic The Hedgehog
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Soul Calibur

Come on, Danganronpa 2, you can do it. Don’t despair!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

Tomb Raider
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Soul Calibur

Galaxy 2, despite being my second least favorite 3D Mario (after the thoroughly miserable Mario 64, which hasn't aged well at all), is still a much more entertaining experience than the original Sonic the Hedgehog (I'd have to opt for Sonic 2 if that was a choice, though).

Aside from Danganronpa 2, I'm not really feeling the games this round.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Wazeddie22

Tomb Raider (Go Lara with your huge pointed pixel breasts!)
Telltales The Walking Dead Season 1 (nearly voted for Mass Effect before realizing it was the second one that was fantastic..)
Sonic (always loved the older sonic games and as much as I absolutely loved Super Mario Galaxy,the sequel didant quite impress me enough)
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair.
Soul Calibur.

Wazeddie22

PSN: Inherentdragon

Tasuki

@themcnoisy I think you might have to repost the games were are voting for, people have to go back 3 pages to see now that it got buried among meaningless chatter and people may miss it. ;P

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Gremio108

Tomb Raider
The Walking Dead
Sonic The Hedgehog
-
Soul Calibur

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gamer83

Tomb Raider PS1
Mass Effect 3
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Soul Calibur

Gamer83

themcnoisy

Current battles. Anyone left to pick still has 37 hours to get your vote in.

Tomb Raider PS1 vs Star Wars Battlefront II (Original version)
Mass Effect 3 vs Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1
Sonic The Hedgehog vs Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Witness vs Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Wolfenstein 3D vs Soul Calibur

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

ApostateMage

Tomb Raider - The birth of an iconic female character

Mass Effect 3 - I was disappointed with most of this game but it was still Mass Effect

Sonic The Hedgehog - The birth of an iconic, erm, blue hedgehog

Never really played any of the others.

ApostateMage

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.