Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,585

RogerRoger

@KratosMD It'll be interesting to see what you make of 007: Quantum of Solace. I enjoyed it because I'm a huge Bond fan, so enjoy all Bond games to a certain degree, but I think the kindest thing I can say without bias is that it's "perfectly fine, I suppose" (although there are some pretty neat moments peppered throughout its short campaign, and one really great level). Not to sour your purchase, by the way! And I think it'll suit your current, pro-CoD mood, so fingers crossed you find the fun.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger @KratosMD If you have a PS2 or Cube, Nightfire is the best Bond game other than Goldeneye. Actually, there’s a Goldeneye remake I played to death on last-gen consoles too.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@KratosMD Yep it’s on Xbox too. I just haven’t ever seen anyone with an original Xbox, they weren’t popular at all when I was younger!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@carlos82 Very cool grab! I shudder to think about how much you paid for it, though.

Always wanted to play this. I kind of wish this had been remastered on Switch as opposed to the hour-long rail shooter.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

carlos82

@Ralizah there's no easy way to say this, Saga cost me £350. Working from home is saving me quite a bit from fuel costs and childcare so I thought I'd get it when I had the chance. Gonna focus on cheaper games now though.

Game is great so far, all characters have fully voiced dialogue and the battle system is a cross between Final Fantasy's ATB system and Panzer Dragoon rail shooting where instead of rotating the camera you circle the enemy between 4 quadrants to expose weaknesses and avoid attacks

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

carlos82

Not a game but picked up this wireless controller from Retro Bit. I've tested it on my Saturn and Switch playing various games from Street Fighter Alpha 2 to Mario Kart 8 and it's been fantastic, the dpad in particular is better than anything I've tried on the Switch and I even played Doom 64 with L and R strafing. Great pad and it works on the Megadrive mini and PS3 as well
Untitled
image hosting

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Sweet, glad you were able to snag NightFire. I think you'll enjoy it, the campaign is a perfect example of early 2000s big-budget licenced gaming, and the multiplayer has bots, so you can recapture some of that GoldenEye magic even whilst self-isolating. Great overall haul!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Now that I've gotten over my immature "but Spidey is a Marvel hero, and I don't like Marvel" nonsense, I'm playing catch-up on a lifetime of having missed out on multiple Spidey games. I've been doing extensive research on all of his digital adventures, trying to pick the ones I'd most like to play from a vast back-catalogue of releases. I've also been steering well clear of reviews, although I might've glanced at a select few just to ensure that I'm not spending money on a buggy, broken mess.

Alas, picture my disappointment when I realised that previous licence-holders Activision were forced to de-list all of their Spidey games in 2014. I thought I'd at least be able to download a digital version of any PS3 ones I wanted to try, and perhaps even a PSP one for my Vita.

So it was eBay to the rescue, and I've placed orders for the following (hopefully not sinister) six.

Spider-Man (PSone, 2000)
Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro (PSone, 2001)
Spider-Man: The Movie (PS2, 2002)
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe (PS2, 2007)
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (PSP, 2008)
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (PS3, 2010)

The two PS2 games, and the PSP one, were listed as new and factory-sealed (and were very reasonable prices, which was a pleasant surprise). The pair of PSone games are used, but came in a bundle and the photographs looked decent enough. Shattered Dimensions is my biggest gamble, it being listed as used and without any first-hand pictures to judge; unfortunately it was my best shot, all factors considered. I usually struggle with pre-owned games (thanks a bunch, OCD) but given everything, my options were severely limited. That'll teach me for being judgemental about my superheroes!

Shattered Dimensions is the one I most wanna play, as well. It's often credited as being a key moment in the development of the Spider-Verse, which ultimately led to Into the Spider-Verse, and sounds like an absolute joy to play. I'm deliberately steering clear of any open world sandbox games (hence the absence of everybody's favourite, Spider-Man 2 on PS2) because the PS4's incarnation of NYC is so perfect, there'd be an element of "Why aren't I just playing the new game instead?"

Anyway, yeah. When I fall, I fall hard.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Thanks, I'm pretty excited to play them! Some copies I came across were very pricey, yeah. I think some folks attach a premium to popular things, so ten of those euros will be because the box has "Spider-Man" written on it, alas. Will tag you in any thoughts / reviews of the PSone games, and the PS2 movie tie-in, as and when I leave them around here.

I think Spider-Man 2 was the moment that almost guaranteed the perfect Spidey game would be an open-world sandbox collectathon and, as such, a lot of them follow that formula. Watching long clips of its gameplay, however, made me yearn to stop watching and return to the PS4 game I'm currently playing. It'd just feel like too much of a backwards step, too much of a downgrade; I already have a beautiful, lavish way of swinging around and helping out NYC NPCs. The games I've chosen, meanwhile, all sound and look distinctive. They're more old-school, linear and story-driven adventures. One is a 2.5D brawler with occasional morality choices. One has four different Spider-Men to play as, and another has you playing as the villains more often than Spidey. It's just the most varied handful of takes on the character I could grab, to prevent me from sighing as I swing across a comparatively-barren PS2 cityscape (because that sigh wouldn't be the game's fault, it'd be mine).

Such variety should make them easier to play through, as well. I don't wanna overload too much!

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger Shame you managed to miss out on Spider-Man 2 for the PS2 which is about the only good one!

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Thrillho

Do I have to explain my reason for leaving it a third time...?!

Seriously, there's a surprising amount of factory-sealed copies of it listed on eBay, and most have a reasonable price tag. If I find that I've gotten a bunch of rubbish and am hungry for some humble pie, grabbing it later shouldn't be a problem.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Thrillho It was worth it for the hearty laugh, so please do keep skimming!

I do waffle a bit anyway, so can't really blame you.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Zero Mission is easily my favorite of the Metroid games. Tighter controls than SM, yet still maintains the series' non-linear gameplay (which was abandoned in Fusion), some really awesome boss fights, and the best final chapter in series history.

andreoni79

Your talk reminded me I still have a WiiU.
I checked the online store and when I saw that Project Zero is € 50 I sighed and turned it off...

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

andreoni79

@KratosMD I still have the Wii version of PZ2 on disc!
In 2015 I looked for the retail version of Maiden of Black Water at its launch, but I never found a copy...
2015 games for PS4 cost max € 20 and € 5 when on sale... Meh.

Ralizah

@KratosMD Honestly, the GBA had a number of great games on it. The Castlevania GBA games are mostly worth playing as well. Especially, from what I hear, Aria of Sorrow. And the Advance Wars games. Metroid Fusion. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. Both translated Fire Emblem games. etc.

@andreoni79 At least y'all had the option of a limited physical copy. Us North Americans only ever had a digital version, and it has NEVER dropped in price. Nintendo also never brought over that Wii port of Fatal Frame 2.

Not sure why Nintendo is so keen on abusing this classic franchise.

andreoni79

@Ralizah Ironically, the WiiU gamepad was perfect for that specific kind of gameplay and instead of creating 2/3 Project Zero games, they just made one and they did everything to make it hard to play it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic