Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 881 to 900 of 1,585

belmont

My Game Boy - Game Gear collection mania continues way in 2020. Thank God it does not hurt the wallet that much. The "good" games are still somewhat fairly priced.

belmont

KALofKRYPTON

@KratosMD FEAR 2 and 3 are great games IMO!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@KratosMD Ganeplay-wise, they're pretty similar. 3 is the smoother experience I'd say can't say I noticed a massive change in direction myself. But it's been a while.

All that said, I really thought Haze was great - and I don't meet many people who'd even heard of it - let alone thought well of it

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@KratosMD I played the demo to death and a mate bought it so we went through the campaign.
Not massively similar other than the hallucinations, I just really enjoyed it.

mookysam

@KratosMD Not played F.E.A.R. 3, but 2 is really creepy! The ending in particular. Aside from that, it's a really competent shooter and it has mech suits, so double win. Damn it, I want to replay it now but gave my copy away. Condemned 2 similarly scared the absolute s*** out of me.

Noticed Muramasa Rebirth on sale earlier. I've already got the base game, but am unsure whether to get the DLC or not.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RR529

New Super Lucky's Tale (Switch) - A pretty cheery 3D platformer. It doesn't control quite as tightly as something like Super Mario Odyssey or DKC: Tropical Freeze, but it seems to have a good variety (Main levels have taken on the form of 3D spaces that focus on light exploration & puzzle solving, 2.5D levels focused more on pure platforming, and even a auto running level. Side levels have focused on statue sliding puzzles, and a simpler take on the Monkey Ball concept).

Only on World 2 at the moment.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

Just pre-downloaded Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the Nintendo Switch. Come on, March!

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Well done on your exam results!

Enjoy Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, I loved it. Some of the combat and platforming wasn't all that, but the story was brilliant! I wish Andy Serkis did more work in video games. Shame it didn't sell well enough for the sequel to be green lit.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@KratosMD I’ve actually played 3 of those 4! Although I can’t speak for Binary Domain, I do think Enslaved is the pick of the litter there. I’m not sure if it will hold up, but at the time, I really found it to be a solid title with endearing characters and an interesting and beautiful world. Dante is exactly as you describe, a GoW knockoff, but a well done one at that, even if it’s narrative is pretty loose with the source material. I think the idea is a novel and interesting one — to play through the circles of Hell, but Dante might be rolling over in his grave at the depiction. But if you like the classic GoW gameplay, it’s worth experiencing. And as for Prince of Persia, I quite enjoyed it. It was not well received because it was such a departure from the other incarnations of the franchise, both in gameplay, characters, and art design, but it has its own charm entirely. I find it’s aesthetics lovely and the gameplay is pretty decent as I recall.
So all in all, that’s a pretty good batch. And congratulations on your test. Nice work!

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD This is when I tag someone else in, I've not played any of those games unfortunately. All I know is that the two Prototype games are on ps4 in remastered form and have been compared to the Infamous games.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@KratosMD Of those 3, the only one I played was KOA: Reckoning and I can wholeheartedly recommend that if you seek a last gen Western Action RPG, open world, that flew under the radar. It is one of the gems from PS3 that I quite enjoyed. KOA, along with Skyrim, and Dragon’s Dogma were my major fantasy fixes last gen. The combat in KOA is a little more action hybrid and actually GoW inspired as well, but with some deep RPG mechanics, magic, equipment management, etc.

I’d say Prototype is the game that’s most likely a miss, but I guess it may have its fans. Since it came out in close relation to Infamous, it seemed to really be dismissed as the inferior game. Due to poor reception, I never really had the desire to play it.

I really need to play The Saboteur. They say it’s quite good. I’m not sure why it wasn’t as popular, but it seems to have a wide range of reviews.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

I’m tagging @Arugula because if memory serves, The Saboteur is one of his favorite games of all time. I’m sure he’d like to tell you all about it. 😄

Th3solution

@KratosMD I’ll be interested to hear how you like it. It is a pretty large game, I think I spent around 80 hours and didn’t quite do everything, so you may want to save in until you are ready to devote a decent chunk of time to sink your teeth into it. It reminds me a little of Dragon Age Inquisition but not quite that large and without the party system. And the more action combat, like I said. I heard some people complain about inventory management, but otherwise most people who like the genre were favorable about it. It’s something that I would have loved to see a sequel for.
The other games you bought — Enslaved, PoP, DI — are shorter, or at least more standard (20 hr or so) experiences. But yes, it is a really good diversity you have there.

Kidfried

@KratosMD Wow, that's a great deal. I still have to play that one too.

Unfortunately I just missed out on a similar deal on the PS Store. Oh well!

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

mookysam

@KratosMD Congratulations on those brilliant exam results! Nice haul of games too!

Prince of Persia is lovely and absolutely gorgeous. I played it when my auntie was very ill in hospital and it helped me a lot. Bringing colour and life to each area in the game was something I really connected with. The platforming is very smooth and quite automated, which makes moving through each area feel rather nice. Combat is a weak spot perhaps, but takes a backseat.

Black Lives Matter

Ralizah

Some uninformed or kindly soul just sold me a CiB Corpse Party: Back to School Edition for Nintendo 3DS for $50 + shipping, which is roughly what it would have cost to buy it new. Wouldn't be a great deal with most games, but in this case, the game was so out of print that CiB copies were running $100+ online. Even just the cartridge on its own typically cost in the neighborhood of $40+.

I've debated paying exorbitant prices online for it, but I kept biding my time, convinced that, eventually, I'd be able to obtain a copy for a reasonable price, and, sure enough, I secured one.

The other two big obstacles to my complete Nintendo 3DS collection are Yokai Watch 3 (the initial print run was so small that it practically sold out nationwide overnight) and Fire Emblem Fates: Complete Edition (I actually used to own this, but I perhaps unwisely sold it online about a year or so ago...).

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Genrou

Picked up Division 2 on the Xbox One. Heard good things about this game hope people were right about it.

Genrou

mookysam

Purchased Ys I & II and Ys: The Oath in Felghana digitally for the PSP, although I'll play them on the Vita. I already have Ys Origin and Ys: Memories of Celceta, so now am all set to finally get into the series. After Trails of Cold Steel, of course.

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter

Rudy_Manchego

Odd conversation topic but I recently opened and connected my PS Classic I bought in the Prime day sale last year for £15 and was largely unimpressed. Then I made some small, shall we say, adjustments (forum policy dictates I cannot disclose further), and now it has been my most used console this last week.

I also bought an 8bitdo controller adapter and can use a DS4 which helps massively with the control schemes for some of the games over just using a pad. Pretty pleased overall with my purchase!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

carlos82

I recently bought the Megadrive mini but in terms of real retro gaming I've resumed collecting for the Saturn and recently picked up Panzer Dragoon Zwei and have Burning Rangers currently winging it's way to me for just £90 😳

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic