Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 781 to 800 of 1,585

mookysam

@Rudy_Manchego I download all my Vita games to the PS3. It takes an age to transfer them over and doesn't download updates too, but it's handy to know they're somewhere I can readily access in the event of the Vita store being closed down.

@KratosMD Ooh definitely a good starting point for the series, then you can work your way up to the more modern entries. The Tales games were often heavily discounted in PSN sales but the past year the number of PS3 titles reduced seems to have substantially declined. :-/

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

mookysam

@KratosMD Yeah, physical is nicer where possible. Those Tales games were on the PS3 store in the UK at least, but I noticed a while ago that Xillia 2 has been removed. Quite a few things have been taken off now so I'm now a little anxious that games that have been on my radar for a long time, such as the PSP Ys games, might get removed too.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Far_Cide

I'm a big fan of old school classics like Sonic and Mario.

Far_Cide

FullbringIchigo

OK so not all of these are recent BUT about 5 years ago when i was low on cash i sold a load of my games and one of the series i sold all of (bar one game) was The Legend of Zelda because they were worth quite a bit (and it hurt too because i LOVE that series)

anyway over the past 2 years i have been slowly rebuilding my collection though i'm pretty sure i will never be able to get the original NES versions of Zelda and Zelda 2 or the original SNES version of A Link to the Past again but recently i managed to get another copy of Skyward Sword

Untitled

slowly getting there

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD oh it's because BotW was the one i kept, these are the ones i managed to get back

although it wasn't easy, that copy of Ocarina of Time was £35 from a car boot sale and the collectors disc was £20 and it didn't even come with a proper case just a old DVD case with a little white sticker on it (so i took the sticker off and put it on the Twilight Princess case and put the game in there for safe keeping, i took it out for the photo)

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

One more for the collection, it just arrived
Untitled

FullbringIchigo

and add 2 more, the boxes are in pretty poor condition but everything is there
Untitled

Rudy_Manchego

@FullbringIchigo Nice collection. I feel your pain. I sold my Gamecube Zelda games and the Collectors Edition when we had my first child and have had to try and buy them back.

I have almost the same minus the collecters edition, Majoras Mask and A Link Between Worlds. I also have Minish Cap and a copy of LTTP for SNES.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

FullbringIchigo

@Rudy_Manchego Minish Cap is the next one on my list to get and then Oracle of Ages and Links Awakening but i have pretty much given up on the NES and SNES ones, getting them again at a decent price and in good condition is almost impossible

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD i have Hyrule Warriors already, it was a digital purchase but yes i will be getting as many as i can

Rudy_Manchego

Has anyone tried Apple arcade? I have an iPhone for work and decided to take out the free month trial and there are some fantastic indie titles included. Played What the Golf and now into Mutazione and both have been fantastic.

I have never been interested in mobile gaming because, at the end of the day, I just can't be bothered to find out which games are worthwhile and which are just cash grabs or mindless timewasters. However, this curated list of games with no MTX's etc. are really good.

Not sure I can afford yet another subscription service (think it is £4.99 a month) but I would say that this is a pretty good offering from what I have seen.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Thrillho

@Rudy_Manchego I have the same problem of picking the quality from the quantity of iOS games. Kairosoft games (makers of Game Development Story) are mostly good fun and have a good mix of easy to play but with some depth to them and I like the pixel graphics too.

New Star Manager is a great game too if you like football and Pocket City a neat no micro transaction or online component city builder.

I used to play a lot of Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes but I refuse to now play any games that rely on you logging in or constantly playing to get upgrades.

Thrillho

KALofKRYPTON

@Rudy_Manchego I've been generally a bit suspicious about it given it's Apple and considering some of the more gushing press coverage really does look entirely 'sponsored' with sentiments to the tune of 'mobile gaming didn't exist before'.

It is a good idea in a market where mtx models are king; It feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy to some extent. Because people en-masse didn't want to pay for decent game experience, mtx mechanics took hold, then mtx became almost the go-to business model and the quality of promoted games took a steady nosedive until now - where a subscription service swoops in to look like the best option.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Thrillho

@KALofKRYPTON My favoured model would be free but with ads with the option to pay to go ad free if I like the game.

Thrillho

Rudy_Manchego

@Thrillho Cheers, I'll give those a look in.

@KALofKRYPTON I can completely see where you are coming from with regards to now having to pay subscription to get a decent game. It is a little like the whole first party thing - Apple are now flinging money at good devs to get good fully fledged titles on Apple Arcade which can result in good games but then you have to tie yourself into an ecosystem to experience them.

The other thing is that I am not sure if the splurge of great titles are all launch purchases to build hype up. I mean, Mutazione was a game I wanted to play and is like £13 on PS Store and I bought Sayonara Wild Hearts for £10 on Switch eshop and both are available on Apple arcade. If this quality keeps up then it might make sense. Being able to connect a DS4 is also pretty appealing to.

KALofKRYPTON

@Rudy_Manchego I'm awaiting the backlash when it turns out that dev's being paid for 'time played' was a bad idea/doesn't work/gets exploited

It's interesting though. There have been some pretty incredible mobile games and experiences over the years - I do think the scope of mobile gaming has dwindled a little in the face of mtx mechanics and Android being almost universally laggy with bt controllers (and my personal distaste for touch screen gaming) - it will be interesting to see what hardware comes of it.

I loved (LOVED!) my Xperia Play and would totally buy another one put together with a bit more thought (it was pretty under-powered when it came out).
There's a Vita-style Chinese phone out there (I forget what it's called) that looks like it performs really well that is very tempting!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Rudy_Manchego

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah good point on the payment. I HOPE that I am supporting good devs by using the service but you never know.. look at Spotify.

RogerRoger

I went looking for a specific PS2 game on the PS3's Store the other day, hoping that it had gotten the PS2 Classic treatment; alas, it has not. Whilst there, however, I noticed that a couple games had been given discounts recently, so I grabbed Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas and its sequel. I'd considered them before, but they were over £20 each; now they're half that. Much less of a risk.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Thanks for the vote of confidence; I'm glad I got them now!

Unfortunately I'll only ever be able to play them by myself, but I'd seen a few brief clips of the campaign on YouTube and it looks functional enough. I tend to like Tom Clancy stuff for the atmosphere more than anything, so taking a bit more time and fiddling with squad commands shouldn't pose a problem.

Nice to hear such fond co-op memories, though. Rainbow Six is a franchise tailor-made for those kinds of experiences, I reckon. The modern ones seem to be doing really well.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Just bought Ys Origin on Steam for $5. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I couldn't really resist at that price.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic