Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 621 to 640 of 1,585

Tasuki

@KALofKRYPTON It's not as rare as Mega Man though. You can get Street Fighter Championship cartridges for practically nothing at any retro shop. Mega Man unless you want to import which is costly and then there's the problem of the slowdown of the PAL version you can't get a physical copy. Yeah you can get repro cartridges of Wily Wars but for the honest collector there has been no official release till now.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

KALofKRYPTON

@Tasuki I get Mega Man will be significant, certainly for the NA market - the controller compatibility, M2's involvement, other publishers being on board and the potential that this may not be a lazy SoC with a scraped emulator is more significant to me.

Hopefully there's a good set of video options baked in too.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Ralizah

The Genesis Mini is looking almost like the polar opposite of the PS1 Classic.

Instead of just dumping a handful of safe ROMS on it and calling it a day, they've been deliberately selecting the best and most representative games on the system. While I'm sure I'll never be FULLY satisfied with the lineup, it puts the selections offered by the other mini consoles to shame.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

crimsontadpoles

So I got a second hand PS Vita from someone for fairly cheap. Going to wait a bit before using it proper since I'm currently in the middle of a lot of different games, but I'm looking forward to using it.

Not sure yet what games I'll buy for it, but the ones I'm most interested in are Uncharted Golden Abyss, Sly Cooper, GTA Liberty City Stories, and maybe Persona 3 Portable or Persona 4 Golden after I've had a much longer break from Persona.

I'll also need to look to see what visual novels are on it, as the Vita's supposed to be a good place for them. Plus I enjoy playing visual novels more when lazing down somewhere on a handheld instead of sitting up in front of my computer.

RogerRoger

@MadAussieBloke Just think of all the Blast Processing that thing can do.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@MadAussieBloke Nice!

I never did get around to the 32x - wouldn't bother now due to the game prices to be honest.

You should totally get the kareoke module to go with that though

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@MadAussieBloke Nice collection mate!

I owned Knuckles Chaotix briefly when I was gearing up to buy a 32X - it became a bit too tempting to sell on though as I'd got it for a steal

I'd be surprised if there are any karaoke packs out there at all!

EDIT: Also - I think the mini really does have the potential to be the best of the mini consoles so far. M2 being on board really is a bit of a game changer. Even if the thing is unhackable (as if!), it'll still be worth it.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON

@MadAussieBloke Nintendo ones do yeah, because... well, Nintendon't

KALofKRYPTON

@MadAussieBloke Speaking of - have you tried any of the Retro-Bit controllers?

KALofKRYPTON

The full list of games for the Mega Drive mini:

1. Sonic The Hedgehog
2. Ecco the Dolphin
3. Castlevania: The New Generation
4. Space Harrier 2
5. Shining Force
6. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
7. ToeJam & Earl
8. Comix Zone
9. Altered Beast
10. Gunstar Heroes
11. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
12. World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
13. Thunder Force 3
14. Super Fantasy Zone
15. Shinobi 3
16. Streets of Rage 2
17. Earthworm Jim
18. Sonic The Hedgehog 2
19. Probotector
20. Landstalker
21. Mega Man: The Wily Wars
22. Street Fighter 2: Special Champion Edition
23. Ghouls 'n Ghosts
24. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
25. Story of Thor
26. Golden Axe
27. Phantasy Star 4: The End of the Millennium
28. Sonic The Hedgehog Spinball
29. Vectorman
30. Wonder Boy in Monster World
31. Tetris
32. Darius
33. Road Rash 2
34. Strider
35. Virtua Fighter 2
36. Alisia Dragoon
37. Kid Chameleon
38. Monster World IV
39. Eternal Champions
40. Columns
41. Dynamite Headdy
42. Light Crusader

Bonus games, usual suspects and more than a few solid and unexpected additions. While I've no doubt that the system will be hacked in the time it's taken me to type this - it's a really rather good list. Apart from Eternal Champions, obviously

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Pfft. No sign of Sonic 3D, Ristar or Cool Spot? No sale.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Tasuki

Ok guys I will have to step in here as the Genesis Mini is a current console talking about hacking/modding it is against the rules here I am afraid.

Thanks for understanding

My Backlog

Ralizah

Sega Mini has the best lineup of any of the classic consoles thus far (putting aside the process-for-adding-more-games-yourself-that-shall-not-be-named). If the emulation is good and the cords are long, the thing will very much be worth its asking price.

The last ten games were kind of disappointing, though. How much longer is Sonic 3 going to be locked off from re-release? Also, Rocket Knight Adventures is possibly the best game on the system and should have been included. Instead, we get ultra obscure titles like Alisia Dragoon. Granted, I've played that game (briefly), but I'm a retro Sega nerd and a weeaboo. Most normal Genesis owners aren't going to be acquainted with it at all.

Edited on by Ralizah

Tasuki

@Ralizah I actually applaud Sega for the choices they made choosing alot of lesser known titles. I mean doe we really need another release of Sonic 3 or Streets of Rage or Golden Ax? Its nice seeing game like Mega Man Wily Wars which before hand the only way to play was through emulation and repro carts if you want a physical copy or games like Bloodlines or Tetris which go for crazy amounts.

My Backlog

Ralizah

Tasuki wrote:

@Ralizah I actually applaud Sega for the choices they made choosing alot of lesser known titles. I mean doe we really need another release of Sonic 3 or Streets of Rage or Golden Ax? Its nice seeing game like Mega Man Wily Wars which before hand the only way to play was through emulation and repro carts if you want a physical copy or games like Bloodlines or Tetris which go for crazy amounts.

Yes. Yes, we do need Sonic 3. It hasn't appeared in a collection since 2009, to my knowledge.

I'm OK with including obscure stuff, but not at the exclusion of beloved classics.

Bloodlines and Hard Corps. showing up is very cool, but the impact of those inclusions are muted a bit by their presence in the Konami collections.

Earthworm Jim and the Disney games were great and hugely surprising selections.

Edited on by Ralizah

Tasuki

@Ralizah Wow so it has been awhile for Sonic 3 rerelease. I guess the problem is since it's become public knowledge the Michael Jackson worked on the soundtrack the estate of MJ has been the reason Sonic 3 hasn't been rereleased.

According to AtGames Sonic 3 was originally planned for the Genesis Mini but we're hit with a cease and desist order from MJ's estate and had to pull it due to the soundtrack. The only way it could be related is if they totally redo the soundtrack which I am sure would upset alot of people.

My Backlog

KALofKRYPTON

@Tasuki Does it count since it's a single purchase device with no software to buy beyond the initial purchase?

@Ralizah It is a good list. Some of the usual suspects could do without being there, but this is designed to tap in to a market of casual users as well as collectors - so the heavy hitters (GA, SOR, S2, AB) and late graphical triumphs (Vectorman) have to be in there. It would've been nice to get a couple more games that are rare or expensive to actually buy; or even just great games that don't get much of an outing. Alien Soldier and Assault Suit Leynos (on the Asia list), Ranger X etc.

Alisia Dragoon is a fantastic game though - I don't miss Sonic 3, the Mega Drive Sonic games really did peak with Sonic 2 - but it would be nice to have the full set and lock-on variations.

@Tasuki also, better not to have it than have AtGames involved anyway!

Tasuki

@KALofKRYPTON I guess, lol. I know AtGames has made some bad consoles but I don't think they are involved in the Mini this time. However they would have insite on why a game isn't on the system In would think.

My Backlog

KALofKRYPTON

@Tasuki They aren't.

Sega sacked them off after the initial reveal and subsequent reaction.

Not sure who is contracted to handle the actual hardware, but at least M2 are reportedly heavily involved in the software - which can only be a good thing!

It would've been pretty easy just to slam a freely available emulator and a bunch of roms on to a basic 'off the shelf' SoC for this (like Nintendo and SNK did, and in fairness, the system isn't going to be particularly complex) - but Sega are at least finally looking like they care about the Mega Drive!

Also - the biggest issue with the AtGames stuff was always the Firecore emulator they used. It was trash, and better has been out there for a long time. Their hardware was always low quality too, though the little handhelds they did are fun little toys. Everything sounds really bad though!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic