Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 581 to 600 of 1,585

Rudy_Manchego

@KALofKRYPTON It was a Master System 2 with Sonic the Hedgehog built in. I have this weird recollection that my cousin had a mastersystem before they had a megadrive and I played it before but can't seem to remember any games oher than the controller!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

KALofKRYPTON

@Rudy_Manchego We went from a Speccy, to an Amiga then got the MegaDrive. A couple of local mates had Master Systems. R-Type was good, Wonder Boy 3, Space Harrier, Castle of Illusion and I remember really liking Ninja and Hang-On- but that could be a nostalgic rose-tinting as they were both games my neighbour had on the card format and I thought they were like magic!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Rudy_Manchego

@KALofKRYPTON Well I was a Nintendo child. I went BBC B Microcomputer to NES and Atari ST, then Gameboy then SNES. My cousin and friends had Master Systems and a Megardive/32x/Mega CD. I still have a pretty large NES and SNES collection from those days.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

KALofKRYPTON

@Rudy_Manchego I've always regretted not buying a 32x. Came very close a few times over the last few years - but the ever increasing cost of the units and the decent games has always given me pause. I did own Knuckles Chaotix for a while after I got it (ridiculously) cheap. But I sold it for £200 a few years back

I find I'm using the Mega Drive and Mega CD less and less these days - and I haven't used the Saturn in a long time. Depending on how the MegaDrive mini turns out, I might sell them on.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Rudy_Manchego

I want a 32x, firstly from a collectors view point and also from wanting that Star Wars game for some odd reason. I nearly bought a Saturn this weekend instead of Wii U, just for Children of the Atom but to be honest, not sure what else I would play so that is just one for the collecting shelf.

KALofKRYPTON

@Rudy_Manchego I really wanted Kolibri, Space Harrier and Darxide.

Well, if you're ever in the market for a Saturn - mine is a modded model 2. PAL/NTSC/NTSCJ and 50/60hz switches

Ralizah

@Rudy_Manchego Be sure to nab Pikmin 3 if you have any love for that series. It's a fantastic little game and makes great use of the GamePad.

ZombiU is very cool on the system. Unfortunately for the PS4 port, its appeal is deeply tied into the creative utilization of the GamePad.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah Always thought it was a shame they didn't use the Vita to replicate that... While I wasn't a fan of the 'tap to combo' aspect of it - the ultimate controller thing they did for MvC was great.

@Rudy_Manchego I'm more than happy to entertain offers

QualityGeezer

I bought a tape deck to go with my commodore 64 so can happily play dizzy the egg again. Still can't finish it though, hardest games ever

QualityGeezer

Ralizah

@KALofKRYPTON I think by the point they were porting it off to other systems, Ubi just wanted a quick and dirty port to make back some of the money they lost on the game. Switch owners buy third party games, thankfully, which is why support is so much better these days, but a lot of decent Wii U third party games did quite poorly, unfortunately.

As I recall, Deus Ex also had good GamePad utilization. It's too bad the thing isn't terribly comfortable to hold, as it could be quite useful in some games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah Yeah Zombi U on PS4 did nothing for me but then I know a few Wii U owners who said it works really well with the gamepad so I thought I would give it a go. Never played a Pikmin game before (shame on me) but will check it out.

@KALofKRYPTON Argh I have no cash now... where were you yesterday? £90 and some dairylea dunkers?

KALofKRYPTON

@Rudy_Manchego 😂😂
🤔... How many Dairylea Dunkers?

With the stuff I have, I'd probably be looking at around £400 if I'm honest. I may actually investigate further in a few weeks.

Rudy_Manchego

@KALofKRYPTON Enough to dunk whatever you want into them!

Don't worry, to be honest I don't know the value of Saturns, esp modded ones as I haven't really looked into them and you need to get the price you need. I'm going to have to do my thing of researching versions, prices, games etc. to make sure I know market value. I also don't know what games are considered good for the system. As a Nintendhead I am pretty bang on with that gen for Nintendo games but Sega passed me by, especially as the console wasn't a commercial hit.

KALofKRYPTON

@Rudy_Manchego The Saturn itself - probably £100. Switchless mod's go for more generally.

Games and accessories tend to be the pricey part of Saturn collecting. Especially a lot of PAL stuff.

themcnoisy

@KALofKRYPTON I regretted asking for the 32x one Christmas. Absolutely rubbish.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

KALofKRYPTON

@themcnoisy It's absolutely a bit rubbish! All a part of the charm!

I'm glad I didn't get one as a kid though!

themcnoisy

@KALofKRYPTON strange the way awful retro consoles are worth the most.

One thing I have noticed myself doing recently is checking for classic games in the local area which I then sell on ebay. Never been in a second hand shop in my life until last year - now every time I go past one if it has a shelf of games I run in there to check. So far I've grabbed a bunch of Saturn games, a few ps1 games including MGS and Vagrant Story, ps2 games and 30 plus pc games. It's not even enough profit to buy a shelf to store them on though lol.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

KALofKRYPTON

@themcnoisy A lot of stuff isn't worth a bean, especially PS2 stuff.

I think because I used to trade a lot in my local game shop as a kid after I was at the point of using my own money to buy games - I've always been keen on the second hard market.

A lot of PAL Saturn stuff can be pretty pricey - and certainly there's a strong nostalgia for 'big box' PC games in certain circles. I've lightly considered a legacy PC build in recent months to match my childhood PC (A massive tower cased IBM Aptiva with a couple of Voodoo 2 cards) to play a few of my old PC favourites.

QualityGeezer

Has anyone seen the last gamers collection on YouTube? It's mind blowing

QualityGeezer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic