Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 1,161 to 1,180 of 1,585

RogerRoger

Gave my current mood control of my wallet (always a bad idea) and ended up purchasing and downloading some DRM-free PC copies of Hitman: Codename 47, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and Hitman Contracts from GOG. When I saw they were a quid cheaper than Steam, I couldn't help myself, especially since I've never played the first game before.

Also got Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Republic Heroes from Steam, since it was reduced to a fiver in the current "May the 4th Be With You" sale. Some insane discounts in there!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

World End Syndrome (or Worldend Syndrome, which is how it's listed on Nintendo's site, for some reason) on the Switch. It was on sale for $10, and the price changes in recent sales have been fairly erratic, so I thought it'd be a good idea to pick it up when it hit a new low. I really don't see it going much lower in price.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I might just join you there with Hitman (albeit on Steam) as I’ve been curious about Contracts for a while now and that’s me all done with uni for this year!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Sweet! Reminds me of the time I got myself Sonic Mega Collection Plus on the way home from sitting my last A-Level. Right now, I can't think of a better way to reward academic prowess than a nice spot of bald, barcoded man-hitting.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@crimsontadpoles It was lower priority for me than Raging Loop, but I already bought that, so this was next on the list. It seems like it leans into the daily life/social sim element a little more than I'd like, but it still sounds like an interesting experience. I like the Higurashi-esque premise, at least.

I'm a sucker for visual novels with horror/thriller elements, and the last few years have been pretty good on that front.

Although, yeah, I have a ton of these to 'play' as well. With the Great Ace Attorney games coming out soon, though, my visual novel/adventure game plate will be filled for quite a while.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology on the 3DS. The physical prices of the game are exploding, like they are with most of Atlus' 3DS line-up, and I don't know if Atlus will bother doing another sale on the platform again, so I decided to pick it up. Wasn't a big fan of the original game on the NDS, but maybe this version will be better.

RogerRoger

I kinda hate myself for getting suddenly stuck in series-specific moods, because it means I tumble down rabbit holes and buy a truckload of games that will absolutely outlive my fleeting interest.

On a completely unrelated topic, I just got three more Naruto games. One for PSP and two for PS3.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I wouldn't feel guilty over what you are playing, we all have different tastes and different moods to play certain stuff. As long as you are happy doing it and not making someone else unhappy at the same time (which is a very un-Rog thing to do), keep on doing it!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Aww, thanks for saying that, buddy! Give it a couple weeks, once I've flooded the forums with countless posts about obscure Naruto games, and you might wanna revisit that whole "making others unhappy" bit but, for now, I appreciate the sentiment!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Now you mention getting those games, I really should get back to Naruto. I watched from the start of Part 1 to the very end of Pain’s arc in a couple of months and so burnt out! I’ll probably binge classic Who until I burn out and then go back to Naruto 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I'll give it to the next page and if that darn Naruto is still being mentioned, I think my finger will me hovering over the 'Ignore' button... joking of course!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Ouch, that's a lot to binge! Don't blame you for burning out; the end of the whole Pain storyline is a good pausing place anyway. A lot of the post-Pain stuff is where my recollection starts to get fuzzy, as the extended cast... well, it extends even further, and things get a bit ridiculous.

@JohnnyShoulder Hey, after the amount I tend to laboriously drone on about the other franchises I like, I'm just honoured not to be on your "ignore" list already!

Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

@colonelkilgore Since you mentioned it yesterday and I realised the game is only on sale for a few more days, I decided to purchase Salt & Sanctuary. Will be playing it on the Vita though since it feels perfect for that system. I played it for 5 minutes just to see how the gameplay is like and it's pretty much a 2D version of Dark Souls. And it's really good! I'm glad that I decided to buy it since it honestly feels like a hidden gem.

I also bought PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate for €3 since I love twin-stick shooters and this is another game that looks perfect for handheld play so I'll be playing it on the Vita. I feel like the amount of games I have on my Vita is dwindling so it's nice to have a few more titles to play on it now.

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

@LtSarge yeah, I’ve always thought 2D games were perfect for handhelds. Sounds like it’s won you over pretty quick too as I know you sounded a bit on the fence about it yesterday. I’m a huge souls fan so I’ll be really interested to see how it pans out in two dimensions.

Also, I love twin-stick bullet-hells myself… never thought that I would but the sections in Nier: Automata converted me. I’ve got a few in my backlog but I’m keeping a close eye on Dead Nation and Alienation… the moment they get a price drop I’m gonna pick them up. 🤞it’ll be tomorrow.

**** DLC!

LtSarge

@colonelkilgore I actually have a pretty mixed history with Souls games. On one hand I absolutely love the formula, but on the other I've played through both Dark Souls and Bloodborne by grinding so much that everything became too easy after a while. So I honestly can't say that I'm good at these games (yet) and I've still yet to play any other Souls game since those two. I really want to give another Souls game a go without grinding too much. Maybe I'll start up Dark Souls 2 one of these days and see how I fare at that game.

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

@LtSarge Dark Souls 2 is a weird one... not bad... but a real outlier. It feels quite different to the others in atmosphere but also in how the game feels to control. It introduced a stat that until it was levelled up, made dodge-rolling feel... 'off'. Think it was the Agility stat. Think you need to get it up to around 25 to make it feel more like a Dark Souls game.

I still loved it... and was shocked the other day to find out that out of all the From Soft and non-From Souls-likes I had put more time into it than any other. I wouldn't propose it as the one to win you over though. If I were you, I'd go Dark Souls 3 or Demons Souls Remake... or even try the Nioh games (they're awesome too).

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge Try Sekiro. You are unable to make your character OP in that. You can grind to a sorts, but only to obtain new skills and stuff. Which takes skill from yourself to use.

LtSarge

@colonelkilgore Ah, okay. That would explain why most people don't talk about the second Dark Souls game. I personally prefer to play games in order, but maybe that doesn't matter in the case of Dark Souls? Perhaps it's better to leave it for later just so that I can find my bearings with these games first.

@JohnnyShoulder Didn't know that, that's good to know! I actually have pretty much all the major Souls games, including Sekiro, Nioh and Dark Souls 3. Might have to give one of those a go soon. I feel like once the need to grind in these games stops and I play them as they're meant to be played, it will eventually click for me.

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

@LtSarge yeah it's kinda the forgotten step-child of the series... the only one not directed by Miyazaki too (he was making Bloodborne).

And yeah, even though I personally played them in order... each narrative is so intentionally vague and each game so independent from the others that chronological order isn't as important as with other series. If anything Dark Souls 3 feels much more of a direct sequel to Dark Souls than Dark Souls 2.

Also, Sekiro is fantastic... and has that 'feel' that only a From Soft game has... but for me is an entirely different subgenre to the Souls games.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic