Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 1,081 to 1,100 of 1,585

carlos82

@Rudy_Manchego the N64 is another tricky one due to Nintendo's enforced AA at a system level and poor video out options, unfortunately it has to be modded for RGB to even work on an OSSC. You will get much better picture quality though with the mod's deblur option.

The Ultra HDMI is going through a board revision at the moment and hopefully will be more readily available and cheaper then it was before, this is the one I'm holding out for whilst I collect elsewhere

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

Rudy_Manchego

@carlos82 Yeah - N64 is always a pain and it is annoying as it looks the worst on modern tvs with no further solution.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I know, right?! Was braced for (and prepared to pay) more, so it was a pleasant surprise that helped me justify buying an extra couple of those Medal of Honor games.

At least I won't be shooting Nazis for the entire lockdown! Will let you know how Ico turns out.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about Ico.

It's another game I've thought about playing for years, although, at this point, I might just wait and see if it receives a remaster like SotC did.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

colonelkilgore

Just picked up Asura’s Wrath on the PS3, don’t remember ever hearing about this game at the time but after stumbling on SuperButterBuns video about it I was intrigued. From what I gather, the gameplay is pretty mediocre but if you like manga and anime the story is phenomenal.

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Part of me wondered if it'd ever jump another generation, but when Shadow of the Colossus arrived on PS4 without it (and considering the underwhelming sales performance of The Last Guardian) I reckon they'll just be focusing on their next game now. Will tag you with thoughts as and when!

@colonelkilgore I've seen some gameplay of Asura's Wrath and it looks absolutely stunning, as well as completely over-the-top. Hope you enjoy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore I didn't get on it with it as it relied too much on QTE's for me. Definitely an acquired taste.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger @JohnnyShoulder

I’ve got a feeling that I won’t enjoy the gameplay mechanics but will probably enjoy the overall experience. I’ll be sure to post my thoughts on it when I get around to playing it.

**** DLC!

Ralizah

Persona 5 Strikers (Nintendo Switch)

Ordered it from Best Buy for that sweet steelbook.

TheOtherEden

@Ralizah Man I really wish the steelbook wasn’t exclusive to Switch. I rarely get multiplats on Switch because I don’t want to pay for a version that looks worse and performs worse then the other versions. Also it doesn’t make much sense to me because Persona 5 is an exclusive to the PS4. Just a very strange decision imo.

Kinda hoping that the steelbook comes to PS4 at some point honestly. But I guess I shouldn’t hold my breath. Lol

TheOtherEden

PSN: DiditAllByMySelf

Ralizah

@TheOtherEden I mean, I understand. It's why I don't buy multiplats on PS4, considering they're usually locked to 30fps versus PC versions of the same games. But Switch games are hybrid versions, which is often worth the trade-off in performance for me.

Although it's probably worth pointing out that only P5R was PS4 exclusive. P5 was also on PS3, and was actually primarily designed to run on that console.

Dunno why they made the steelbook exclusive to the Switch version. Perhaps to incentivize purchases of that version, considering the Persona fanbase is primarily going to opt for the PS4 release? I won't lie. The steelbook factored into my decision-making.

Edited on by Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah I'm normally quite ambivalent about where I play multiplats (often price) but oddly, I often choose the Switch for convenience. This is slightly less true in the last year just because I don't travel anywhere near as much (i.e. not at all) but I played Doom, Skyrim, Witcher 3, Ghostbusters, Stick of Truth etc. on Switch and I have a few others like The Sinking City I have ready to go. I also double dipped on Hades after they offered cross save with the PC version as I started my runs there.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Rudy_Manchego

On my own note - I just remembered that I pre-ordered the physical special edition of Hyper Light Drifter on Switch from Ablylight publishers. Says it should ship sometime in January. This is a game that I currently have digitally on PS4, Switch and even iOS (impulse buy when it was on sale for like £1.99 last year)

I am really stoked to receive as it has the soundtrack physically which I still like collecting. Hyper Light Drifter is closing in on Resident Evil 4 for the most re-purchases of the same game!

RogerRoger

Like a fool who doesn't have a giant backlog, I purchased Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Rise of the Triad on PC this morning.

It's like I wanna fail my New Year's Resolution or something.

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger Had to google the non-Wolfenstein ones. The enemy in the first Blake Stone image looks like a grumpy banker! I'm already on the way to failing my non-purchase resolution. Two weeks into the year and I've already bought New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and Paper Mario: The Origami King. There was an eBay voucher involved, so it would have been stupid not to, right?

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@mookysam Both are callbacks to a free shareware CD that came with the ol' family computer back in the early 90s. I've only ever played the first ten levels of both, so I'm keen to see the rest.

And yeah, he does! His name is Dr. Goldfire and I always thought he was a pixelated John Lithgow!

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure using an eBay voucher doesn't count as a proper purchase, so I'd say your resolution is safe for the time being. Two very good games there, too! Given how first-party Nintendo games always retain a high price point, I'd say you acted right and proper.

Making It So Since 1987

TheOtherEden

@Ralizah Woah that’s insane. I’m assuming the steelbook will be exclusive to Best Buy? I hope it doesn’t get hard to find because I’m thinking about waiting for a price drop for this one. Trying to avoid paying 60 dollars for games nowadays lol.

TheOtherEden

Ralizah

@TheOtherEden Yeah, it is. Although I'm sure people will put it up on ebay for a premium soon after launch.

TheOtherEden

@Ralizah Really you think so? Past Altus steelbooks have been very plentiful even post launch. Heck you can even still find the steelbook for Royal brand new in some places. I just hope this one isn’t any different. I wish it wasn’t store exclusive.

TheOtherEden

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic