Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 1,585

RogerRoger

@carlos82 That's always the headache, isn't it? But your plan sounds good. I'm currently wondering where my PS5 is gonna go, when I get around to getting it next year.

I've got two large shelving units, with my television placed between them, but they're starting to overflow a little. When I look back on photographs I took when I moved in, and remember all the space I had to get clever with my collections and consoles, I weep!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

carlos82

So as I was offered silly money for my PS5, I've used that to bolster my retro setup and now have a crt next to my 4K TV and will get another PS5 when freely available at retail, oh and the Jaguar version of Doom is very good. I also have the Terraonion Mode in the Saturn so I can effectively play any game (it costs a fortune to collect for)
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Edited on by carlos82

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

nessisonett

@carlos82 That’s one hell of a set-up! I can’t believe you have Cybermorph oh man, WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO FLY

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

carlos82

@nessisonett haha it came with the auction I won, I've only had a brief go and it plays better than the Nerd suggests but yes, the first thing I did was deliberately fly into a mountain 😂

Its a bit strange having nostalgia for a game I've never even played before

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

nessisonett

@carlos82 I have to say I’d never heard of the Jaguar before I saw that Nerd episode. The late 80s through to the 90s had so so many consoles that I didn’t really know anything about like the Neo Geo, Turbografx 16, Jaguar and even Sega Saturn.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

carlos82

@nessisonett I'd seen one in a shop window at Gamestation around the time it was out but I can't say I knew much about it until AVGN. I did have a Saturn back then playing stuff like Panzer Dragoon and Bug but the games were very hard to find where I lived. Now with the disc drive emulator I'm discovering many truly great games and some gorgeous sprite based games like Astal and Magic Knight Rayearth.

The Jaguar is much more impressive then I'd have imagined back then, even more so when considering the version of Doom i used to play on the SNES compared to this. But yeah its crazy to think how many consoles were around then

carlos82

The last shopping trip of the year was a very worthwhile one, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw these in store. All manuals inserts and controller overlays are included and in great condition
Untitled

Ralizah

Trials Rising - Gold Edition (Switch)

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

hypnotoad

I still play on my Japanese flash saturn that I imported back in the 90's. It's still going.
At the moment I'm on SM64 on the 35th anniversary switch collection.
I'm as in love with that game, despite its faults, as I was when I bought it with the N64 on import.

hypnotoad

carlos82

Not a game but certainly retro based, I bought an OSSC so I can play my consoles on a modern TV. I've only tested the Saturn so far as its the only one I currently have an RGB start cable for and the results are impressive. Saturn basically worked straight out of the box and the signal can be line tripled to 720p or 5x and converted to a 1920x1200 signal if your TV will accept it. Luckily my Samsung seems quite happy with many resolutions below 1080p. There are multiple scanline settings and the intensity is easily adjusted with multiple profiles to save settings for various consoles and all with no lag added whatsoever. Its that good I might get rid of my crt, or at least move it as I focus on building a unit for my gaming setup

Jimmy_VNC82

purchased a ps1 original about a week after buying a ps5 LOL. Have a a lot of old games I wanted to replay, number 1 being MGS. Looking forward to gaining a better understanding of the game as I was in intermediate school last time I had played.

Jimmy_VNC82

PSN: ChillBuckets_4 | Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

@carlos82 Really nice set up. I have almost all my retro consoles in a big unit in my office (box room!) - will have to try and get a picture but managed to get 14 consoles all hooked up to a small HDTV. I am interested in an OSSC as have heard good things. I have a Gamecube that has been modded to HDMI out which makes a big difference.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

carlos82

@Rudy_Manchego thanks, I'm kind of limited by space at the moment as the 2 tv's are side by side and I really have only another 50cm to play with. Ideally (and sadly) I could do without the crt so I can build a nice custom unit to fit the space. The OSSC is great, especially for Saturn as most games are a straight 240p so can easily be tripled to 720p and even without game mode (my TV seems a bit picky as it jumps between resolutions), there is no noticable input lag and as I'm playing NTSC games they look and run better then on my 50hz PAL crt which had a weird warping effect and missing lines at the top and bottom.

If your consoles are RGB then its a great solution and now I have it I think its time to move the crt on as the results are great, apparently Dreamcast looks amazing with it but I haven't got the right cable yet. Its only real weakness is PS1 and PS2 as they use interlaced resolutions for many games but the couple I've tested on Saturn such as Virtua Fighter 2 still looked good. I'll probably get the PS1 HDMI mod when its more readily available anyway.

RogerRoger

Hurrah for 4am shopping sprees! Although this does make one of my resolutions more of a challenge.

Ico [HD Classics] (PS3)
Medal of Honor: Airborne (PC)
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault [War Chest Edition] (PC)
Medal of Honor: European Assault (PS2 Classic on PS3)
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault (PC)
Star Wars: Episode I - Battle for Naboo (PC)
Star Wars: TIE Fighter (PC)

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy After you reminded me Ico existed the other day, I wanted to double-check my assumption that its remaster was only available alongside Shadow of the Colossus, and was pleased to find it as a standalone purchase.

I owe you double thanks because, whilst this might be the wrong topic to mention this, I also got Mafia: Definitive Edition for my PS4. Physical copy was only £18 on Amazon!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Ooooh nice @RogerRoger! Very good price for Mafia.

That's a whole lot of Medal Of Honor ya got there alongside Ico and those two star wars titles too. You'll be busy for months! 😄

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

belmont

@carlos82 Recently I have looked into HDMI solutions for retro consoles. Whatever I saw it saw was not cheap. I ended up getting the Hyperkin cables for Saturn and Mega Drive and a random one for the Dreamcast that has by default digital output for some reason. I was pleasantly surprised by all cables. There were some issues but I can live with them. I would really go with the OSSC but could not afford it at this time.

However I cannot find a good "cheap" way to connect my PS2 to HDMI. For PS1 I use my PS3 and the output is very good.

As a more general note I cannot stand the 50Hrz nonsense anymore on some games that were not optimized but being a PAL retro gamer has its disadvantages I guess.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

carlos82

@belmont yeah the PAL thing sucks, even more so when trying to get them on new TV's and PS1 and PS2 are amongst the worst due to how many resolutions they use, many of which are interlaced. They will work with my OSSC but it seems like I'll be playing with the settings to get good results for all of Sega's faults their consoles seem to be very easy to get great picture quality from these days and from Saturn to Dreamcast, Dreamcast in particular with its VGA capabilities (that thing was well ahead of its time) and most of their PAL games either have 60hz options or work perfectly fine at 60hz with console mods.

For PS2 I'd recommend trying to get hold of a 60gb PS3 as its by far the easiest solution for now, there is the RAD2x cable but its rarely in stock due to the pandemic. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SONY-PLAYSTATION-HD-RAD2X...

There is a HDMI mod coming for PS1 which is excellent and that then should get a PS2 version if you're into modding. Ultimately the best way is to get NTSC versions of consoles as their framerates and resolutions play better with TV's of today and most now have some form of everdrive and disc drive emulator (the Terraonion MODE is compatible with Saturn, Dreamcast and PS1), giving relatively easy access to 1000's of games

belmont

@carlos82 I don't know about Nintendo but SEGA has PAL optimized games that run in proper speed and you can get good picture quality from Mega Drive, Saturn and, especially, the Dreamcast. I play the Dreamcast in my PC monitor and the picture is very crisp. Same for the Saturn with a 25 euro Hyperkin Cable.

I thought of modding the Saturn to play NTSC games, seems simple but I am not sure I can do it. I thought of getting a USA Genesis but the import costs are way high. If you want the Genesis addons, rebuy NTSC copies of games or get an everdrive it may cost much more.

Thanks for the suggestion on a disk drive emulator, I will check it. It is the equivalent of an everdrive for CD based consoles.

As for PS3 full BC model due to my stupidity I did not buy one back in the day. I found it "only" ~ 100 euros more expensive that the non BC model but did not buy it. Now the import costs are too much but I still look for one. PS2 is indeed very tricky to get it working in an HDMI TV.

belmont

carlos82

@belmont yeah Dreamcast doesn't really suffer from being PAL with its 60hz support, plus a much higher percentage of games that
can run at that compared with PS2 for example, it's basically a retro gamers dream these days with excellent picture quality and ease of use in general. Megadrive were generally optimised apart from Sonic 1 weirdly but Saturn doesn't have many (outside of first party) which were fully optimised for PAL so most work perfectly at 60hz.

Best bet for Saturn is get a Japanese console, these are generally plentiful on eBay and the Action replay plus can make it region free without modification (though many already are now). Also Japanese games are generally much cheaper then any other region and many perfectly playable without reading the language. Deep Fear for example is around £200 to £300 for the PAL version but about £20 for Japanese and is still fully voiced in English. Then there are US exclusives such as Magic Knight Rayearth and Astal but I'd say a disc drive emulator is a must as these are very expensive, plus then you have access to translated versions of Grandia and the the Shining Force 3 scenarios and the performance patch for Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Rudy_Manchego

@carlos82 Hmmm intriguing. I collect a lot but tend to use emulation of those games I have (no piracy topics here!) as I can run them via HDMI out and upscale which is useful but there is nothing like original controllers. I was tempted by the PAL version of the Eon N64 upscaler but that is expensive for only one console.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic