Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 1,585

Rudy_Manchego

I'm excited because the sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky launches on Apple Arcade and Steam today. Played a bit at EGX last year and it was great fun. Of course, I've only managed 8 hours in TLOU2 and have a host of other games to play so may need to wait a bit.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

rafitafi

Newest Fifa is available for pre-order, so waiting a bit until discounts so I can get fifa 21 cheaper

Edited on by antdickens

rafitafi

RogerRoger

Thanks to @nessisonett mentioning it the other day, and because I wanna get back to more comfortable fare after surviving a demon-infested Mars, I ordered Spider-Man 3 on PlayStation2, along with its predecessors, Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man.

I wasn't going to get them yet, but I noticed new copies of the first two on eBay (with their original seals and everything) for under £20 a piece and thought, if I didn't now, I'd kick myself later when that price inevitably skyrockets. Had to get the last one used (because I didn't fancy forking over a staggering £350 for its Limited Edition) but it looks in decent-enough condition.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

andreoni79

Just sold my last Gamecube games...
Now it's time for Wii, DS and 360. If any retrogamers is interested, I'm here!

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

nessisonett

@andreoni79 I don’t think I could part with my GameCube games, they were such a big part of my childhood and to be honest, they’re just going to appreciate in value as the years go on anyway!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

mookysam

@nessisonett My brother’s ex-wife nicked a load of my GameCube games and sold them all on eBay. Luckily I’ve since managed to rebuy some of them but Zelda Collector’s Edition is a bit pricey for my liking. Nintendo games always gain a lot of value depending on the rarity. Thankfully I never left Twilight Princess at my Mum’s!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

andreoni79

@nessisonett My old games are just collecting dust on a shelf while I have to move around because of my job and I have hardly the time to play the best new games. I sold my PS and PS2 games to enjoy the following generations and now I'm selling GC, WII and 360 games to enjoy the upcoming generation. I have a SNES mini in case of an old man nostalgia panic attack.
Sad and cynical, I know...

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Ralizah

Just downloaded something called Gurumin 3D: A Monstrous Adventure on the 3DS. It's apparently a Nihon Falcom action-rpg, and it was on sale for $4.99, so I couldn't resist.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah I have zero comprehension of the words you used to justify being unable to resist, but I really hope you enjoy it, especially for a fiver. Can't really go wrong at that price, can you?

This might be an impossible question for which I apologise in advance but, considering you kinda know the type of games I like, and also considering that I already have a Nintendo DS Lite (the one that plays GBA games), how vital would you say 3DS ownership is? I've always been interested in passing, but never really found enough to justify pulling the trigger on one. Is it a good console? Do you use it often?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger The 3DS is one of my all-time favorite systems, and I use mine semi-regularly, but considering you're big on games based around licensed characters such as Spider-Man, James Bond, etc. and established Western properties like Tomb Raider, Hitman, DOOM, etc. I don't know how much of the library would appeal to you. It's really good for JRPGs, certain niche Japanese franchises, 2D platformers, and, of course, Nintendo games.

If you do end up getting one for whatever reason, though, I highly recommend checking out Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, which was a launch title for the system and a really solid tactical RPG.

There are also a few exclusive Sonic platformers, although, not being a Sonic fan, I can't really attest to their quality one way or the other.

BTW, games always look worse in trailers/videos than they do on the actual system. Particularly when you're playing them in 3D, which grants a pleasant level of visual depth to several games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah That Ghost Recon was my first 3DS game alongside OoT3D and I was blown away by how good it was. One of the best Western 3DS exclusives despite being a launch title and one I’d totally recommend as well. I think the 3DS is my favourite console ever, I spent thousands of hours on it because of the BC as well.

mookysam

I recently got Aliens Infestation on the DS. It's one of those games that was £5 for ages so I always put off buying it. Lo and behold it ended up not being £5, but I'm looking forward to playing it.

@RogerRoger It is a great handheld, but I know that you're not a particular fan of Nintendo games or Japanese RPGs so the value you get out of it might hinge on that. You might find some games that you'd enjoy, such as Sonic Generations (which has different levels compared to the console version). The library isn't quite as broad as the DS as it generally had less Western support.
Speaking of 3DSs, I need a new one, but they are ridiculously overpriced everywhere since Nintendo ceased production. :-/

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@Ralizah @nessisonett @mookysam Am grateful for the 3DS thoughts, folks. Very nearly just pulled the trigger on one, especially considering the fact that Nintendo don't make them any more, but decided to pause briefly and look through its entire back-catalogue to see if it'd be worth my time.

Out of the 1,341 games listed on Wikipedia, I found ten that I actually want to play, and that's including the Ghost Recon recommendation above (thanks!).

There's nothing wrong with that, of course. I only have twelve physical games for my PS Vita (plus an extra half-dozen digital downloads on the system storage). It'd just cost a fair whack to get those experiences in my hands, and then I'd feel obligated to spend even more "making the most of the hardware" by pushing myself to play, oh... I don't know, probably one of the Zelda remakes they did. The one with the pretty purple cover art I submitted to our recent megapoll.

I was also looking at a 2DS XL (since I'd probably keep the 3D slider switched off most of the time anyway) but those can get pricey, too. I'll sleep on it. Can I live without those ten games? Undoubtedly. If they were that important, I'd have sorted this out years ago. It's just that, similar to my apprehension about Sony shutting the PS3's Store down someday, there's a "now or never" shadow looming.

Sorry, I'm rambling now. Thanks again for your thoughts!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Decided not to get a Nintendo 3DS in the end. Once I'd added up the total cost of the console, its separate charger (?!) and the games I wanted, plus a nice case, it came to over a month's rent. With the PlayStation5 looming, I simply couldn't justify the cost on something I'd play for a couple weeks, then likely leave to gather dust alongside my other periodically-played handhelds.

As a trade-off, though, I'm gonna be getting the PC version of one of the Sonic games I wanted for it, which regrettably means I'll have to make a Steam account. I swore I never would, but £15.99 and a bit of a moral headache is a preferable price to pay (particularly if the game turns out to be rubbish).

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Honestly, I had a 3DS for a while (or at least access to one) and I never really got the allure. Granted, the library isn’t quite my cup o’ tea, but the unit itself wasn’t all they easy to get accustomed to. In general I’ve had trouble breaking into the Nintendo family. Not for lack of trying either. I have been playing with a friend on his Switch lately and tried the likes of Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Mario Odyssey, Super Smash... and it’s just really hard for me to assimilate. Again, this is more of a ‘me problem’ than a Nintendo problem. I just feel so behind and overwhelmed by it all. I’m sure newcomers to PlayStation have a similar intimidation factor when they see Kratos, Drake, Snake, and Ratchet as I do when I see Link, Mario, Pikachu and all those Fire Emblem people. It’s definitely a hard ecosystem to crack into, at least for me.

I’m still trying though, mostly due to FOMO. Buying my own Switch is still not off the table. If there were a few good new IP to start with then maybe I’d not feel so behind. I’m sure there are but I just can’t tell what’s what over there.

Edit: Speaking of breaking into unfamiliar sub genres, how’s FF7 coming along, Rog?

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Oh, I hear you. Playing my partner's Switch has been an eye-opening experience for me, with regards my own gaming tastes and, I'll admit it, prejudices. Thanks for your honest thoughts; I think I made the right choice walking away. The more I think about it, the more I think it would've been a mistake for me personally, which is no judgement on the system or its flagship titles.

One of the cheaper 3DS consoles available was a yellow one with Pikachu's face on its front, and I just thought to myself, that's not really me, is it? That intimidation factor of which you speak played a big role there, for sure (and I've even played and enjoyed a Pokémon game before)!

As for Final Fantasy VII, there's a review in the other topic that says it all, by virtue of being a review which has nothing to do with Final Fantasy VII. I'll get back to it soon, I'm sure!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

So I had another attack of "What if they shut the digital store tomorrow?" and booted up my PS Vita earlier. Not for any of its games, but rather for digital versions of some classic PSP titles; when I recently spent some time with Sony's first handheld, my console made some odd noises, so I'd rather save what life it has left for the rarer, no-longer-licenced UMDs on my shelf.

For a little over £30 credit, I purchased and am currently downloading the following.

Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Impact
Sonic Rivals
Sonic Rivals 2
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow

They're games I remember loving to bits, but haven't played in ages. I've also never played a PSP game on my PS Vita before, so the promise of a better analogue stick and screen is exciting. As a result, I might nudge some of these up my replay backlog list a little.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Yeah, I’ve got my PSP games backed up to a hard drive since I have a hacked Vita. Nothing shady, it’s just an easier way to store them in an increasingly digital age. Especially since ones like FF7 Crisis Core, Tony Hawk Underground 2 Remix and Initial D Street Stage were UMD only and never had digital versions. I backup as many of my physical games as possible, I love the physical product but hardware fails and prices jack up.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic