Forums

Topic: PushSquare Forums Best PS1 Games Poll

Posts 141 to 153 of 153

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON What, as in transfer the game because you can't just re-download it on PS Vita? No, sorry, didn't even know that was possible!

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."
Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate: 42923.4

Fight_Teza_Fight

Thanks for the poll @KratosMD. Hard to disagree, although I’m not sure what happened at #10... 😂 .

Time to track down a copy of Phantom Menace I guess.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

RogerRoger

Fight_Teza_Fight wrote:

Hard to disagree, although I’m not sure what happened at #10... 😂 .

Justice. Justice is what happened.

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Ah, well - because of everyone's favourite gaming maguffin - 'licensing', a huge number of PS1 games that are on PSN had very specific licences enabling use on only PS3 and/or PSP systems. In addition to that, that left some games that could be downloaded directly to the PSP, whereas some other games weren't allowed to be directly downloaded; but, you could download the game to the PS3 (not install it) then use content transfer to move the game directly from the PS3 to the PSP then install it on the handheld.

As far as I'm aware, this is still the case where the Vita is involved, but I don't have a PS3 any more.

For a nice illustration - boot up your Vita and go to the store and look at the PS1 games, then look at PS1 games through a web browser (which is hard as PS1 tags appear to have been removed).

But something like... Syphon Filter 2 is listed as 'Playable on PS3' and 'PSP' - it's not listed on the Vita version of the store, whereas Cool Boarders, which was added to PSN on the same day, reads 'Playable on PS3' and 'Vita'. While games like Destruction Derby list all three.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@Fight_Teza_Fight Get Jedi Power Battles instead and pretend TPM isn't as bloody awful as it is!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I didn't know that, interesting.

Of course, as soon as you mentioned the L word, I knew it would get messy.

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger

RogerRoger wrote:

It's also interesting to note that, of those prolific franchises, many of the votes have gone to the first entry in the series, even if it isn't widely considered to be the best, because of nostalgia and the "it was the game that started it all" factor. That second reason is what a lot of people mentioned when voting for MGS. It'll be the PS2 poll where we'll see how that pans out for Snake.

MGS 2 certainly won't be getting any points from me (spoilers, I know sorry) and I doubt nor would any of the Final Fantasy games in the PS2 era. Your right in people voting for the 1st games in the series that they played cos that is the one they have the fondest memories of. Personally MGS and FF7 are genuinely my favourite out of the series, the others i played didn't enjoy half as much.

JohnnyShoulder

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

@RogerRoger MGS isn't my favorite MGS, but it's still a better game than any other game on PS1. I think that says something about the quality of the series in general and less about nostalgia, but that's just me.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was the first I played anyway. Was a wee bit too young in 1998.

Wind's howling.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder It's weird that few people think that movie sequels are better than the original, and yet game sequels are widely considered to be improvements. You've challenged my perception of that, which is always a good thing. Thanks!

Kidfried wrote:

Metal Gear Solid 2 was the first I played anyway. Was a wee bit too young in 1998.

Same. It was the tanker demo from the UK's Official PlayStation2 Magazine that got me interested, then the full game which got me hooked, but it wasn't until years later that I finally caught up and played the first four games in order, from start to finish.

I'm always amazed at how well the PSone game holds up.

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I think with video games it is mostly because sequels usually improve all the technical stuff as well as the controls and gameplay. You don't get that so much with films which in recent times seem to just go for the bigger is better approach, which doesn't always work.

JohnnyShoulder

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JJ-firl

@RogerRoger I remember one of your first posts, here on PushSquare. It was your contribution to the megapoll. The way you explained your choices is why I appreciate this community —

RogerRogerThu 15th Feb 2018

“With huge respect to everybody's unique approach to this megapoll, I'm afraid I can't be the bigger man and make choices based upon wider cultural impact; I simply don't feel qualified enough to be the judge for all gaming. I know what I like, and I know why I'm here. The titles below are therefore my personal favourites and, since my opinions always seem to be a little out-of-sync with everybody else, they're likely to be quite random and perhaps even disagreeable”

I am not a very active member here, and definitely not a gaming expert but I enjoy sharing some personal experiences with regard to this great hobby. Stuff like that is why I’m not afraid to vote for an amazing personal experience playing a, probably not so great, videogame as a teenager.

pastel days & neon nights

PSN: JJ-firl

Kidfried

@RogerRoger That one. When I first played through it I didn't understand anything about the gameplay, mind you I was 10 or so. Then a year later Splinter Cell made me fall in love with the stealth genre, hungry for more I must have played that demo a hundred times before I finally played the real deal.

Wind's howling.

RogerRoger

@JJ-Firl Wow, um... I'm rather flattered, both because you remembered my post and because you went to the effort of finding it and quoting from it. Thank you, you've made my day!

Glad you feel able to share your personal experiences here. It's certainly why I've stuck around.

@Kidfried Swap out "Splinter Cell" with "James Bond games" and you've pretty much got my story word-for-word. I wonder how many fans Mr. Kojima cultivated with that amazing demo?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic