Forums

Topic: PushSquare Forums Best PS1 Games Poll

Posts 121 to 140 of 153

KratosMD

@mookysam It's cool that you're already interested in playing the sequels! Definitely play the games in the order of release instead of chronologically. I've mentioned in the MGSV thread that it would be weird playing a PS4 game and then a PS1 game even though that's how the story is connected. I've personally played through them in release order and so far it's still been an incredible experience. I just need to finish up MGSV and then I've basically played through all of the Metal Gear games.

Best games as voted by the PushSquare community:
PS1: Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy IX, Tomb Raider II

KratosMD

Alright, time is up! There haven't been any additional votes since yesterday so the standings remain unchanged.

This is the end of our forum poll for the 'Best PS1 Games'. Thanks to everyone who has voted! Without further ado, here are our top 10 winners:

Coming in at places 10 through 8 (Bronze trophies):

Untitled 10. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace with 18 points!
Untitled 9. Tomb Raider with 22 points!
Untitled 8. Tekken 3 with 25 points!

At places 7 through 5 (Silver trophies) we have:

Untitled 7. Resident Evil with 32 points!
Untitled 6. Resident Evil 2 with 36 points!
Untitled 5. Tomb Raider II with 42 points!

For the fourth, third and second places (Gold trophies) we've got:

Untitled 4. Final Fantasy IX with 44 points!
Untitled 3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night with 44 points!
Untitled 2. Final Fantasy VII with 63 points!

And finally, at first place (Platinum trophy) we have the best PS1 game as voted by the PushSquare community, which is none other than:

Untitled 1. Metal Gear Solid with a whopping 122 points!!

What a fantastic list! Thanks to everyone who has participated in the poll and voted for your favourite PS1 games. It's been a fun week tallying up your votes and reading all of your interesting discussions, as well as reflecting upon the history of the first PlayStation as we near the next PlayStation console.

I'm so glad to see this level of participation from our wonderful community. I really enjoyed making this poll and I hope you guys enjoyed partaking in it as well. Next time we'll be voting for the best PS2 games so I look forward to seeing you then as well. Until next time!

Edited on by KratosMD

PS1: Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy IX, Tomb Raider II

jacobia

Sorry but as per community rules Do not post in foreign languages; All posts should be made in English, non-English posts will most likely be removed. Thanks for understanding standing -Tasuki-

Edited on by Tasuki

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

KratosMD

@jacobia Haha Google Translate must be getting better these days because that's some decent Swedish right there. Although the second suggestion in the translation box would've been better.

Anyway, I appreciate the kind words!

Th3solution

@KratosMD Great poll! I like the results. I’ll admit I only played 7/10 of them, but can’t really argue with any of the results. Well, except for Castlevania. I tried playing that once and just have never understood the allure. But I can fully respect the opinions those who love it. And I know @RogerRoger should be well pleased that The Phantom Menace made the cut. 😉
I look forward to PS2, PSP, PS3, PS Vita, and PS4 polls! I’ll start thinking about my top ten lists straight away!

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

RogerRoger

Untitled

What a win (and, from my personal perspective, a well-deserved one) for Metal Gear Solid, that's an incredible points margin! The top ten is otherwise constructed of the usual suspects (and one very unusual one... which I still can't quite believe but, hey, the people have decided) but when you look at the points themselves, there's some interesting results in there!

Be proud, @KratosMD (and huge thanks for doing this)! One quick question; both Castlevania and Final Fantasy IX have 44 points, so how did you decide their positions?

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."
Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate: 42923.4

KratosMD

@Th3solution Well Symphony of the Night is pretty much the game that coined the genre 'Metroidvania' so that's probably why it's so highly regarded. It's also a very fun game! I need to finish it some day.

Glad that you liked the poll! Also, there won't be a Vita one like I mentioned in an earlier post since Mcnoisy already made one. But look forward to polls for the other four systems!

@RogerRoger Cheers mate. I decided their positions simply on alphabetical order since it's a top 10 list. If it had been a top 3 list, I would have held a tiebreaker round between those two. But now it doesn't really matter. It does look weird though based on the trophies, so maybe I should give FF IX a Gold trophy as well.

Kidfried

@KratosMD Personally I'd go with the one that was being voted on by the most people to decide #3. But that's just my 2 ören.

Thanks for the list, and a great one too. Partly because of this list I decided to give Castlevania another chance. Not that I didn't like it the last time I tried, but I got distracted by other games. Hopefully I will make it to the end now. Liking what I'm playing so far.

Wind's howling.

RogerRoger

@KratosMD I think it was fine before (after all, there must be order) but it does look nice and neat now, with three of each rank and then the platinum.

It's good to have something straightforward to decide things like that. Can't wait for the next polls!

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."

KratosMD

@Kidfried I was thinking that as well, but I'm hesitant to say that quantity is more important than quality in this case. To put it in another way: is the amount of people that voted on a game more important than the value each of those placed on the game? More people voted on Final Fantasy VIII yet Star Wars came in a higher spot than that game, even though only 3 people voted for it. I'm afraid it would not be such a good idea based on that comparison.

Glad that you liked the poll though and I'm really happy to see more people being enticed to play PS1 games thanks to this. I hope that you'll enjoy the rest of the game!

(Are Swedish words in English sentences going to be a thing now? )

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

@Nifty Thanks man. Hopefully the PS2 poll will be a banger since the console has so many phenomenal games. Look forward to it sometime in early Spring next year! (since the next poll will be the Forum GOTY 2018 in December)

KALofKRYPTON

@KratosMD Good work on the poll!

And well done to The Phantom Menace 👌🏽😂

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

AdamNovice

Great competition and right result.

Edited on by AdamNovice

AdamNovice

Twitter:

beemo

Great poll and I love the wide community participation here! Brought back some great memories and reminded me of games I hadn't thought about in years. Thankyou @KratosMD

beemo

PSN: greenbeemo

Tasuki

Is anyone really surprised the FF VII and MGS got the first and second place?

Edited on by Tasuki

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Th3solution

@Tasuki I’m not too surprised at the top 2, although I thought it would be a little closer. MGS accumulated double the points of FF7.
If you look at it this way though, FF fans split up their votes amongst FF7, FF8, and FF9.

Fun Fact that I wonder if anyone else realized —
If you add the point totals for the 3 Final Fantasy games’ votes you get 123 pts., which would beat MGS by one point.
If you add Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider 2’s points then you get 64, which would beat FF7 for second place by one point. If you add Resident Evil and RE2 points together then you get 68, which would beat even the sum of the two TR games by 4 pts.

I don’t know why I found that interesting. I’m a nerd.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Jaz007

@Tasuki No, not really. If I had to place money on two winners, I would've placed my money on them. I am surprised Twisted Metal 2 didn't make it. The game is incredible fun and has aged very well for a 3D PS1 game. Excellently I'd say. I like @Th3Solution, am surprised FFVII was beat so bad though.

Backkoggery ID: Jaz007

KALofKRYPTON

Since we're on the PS1 train here - rather than start a new thread just for this question, I'll just ask here - as I'm already fairly certain of the answer...

Does anyone know of a way to transfer a PSN purchased PS1 Classic that's listed only for PSP/PS3 to a Vita if you don't have a PS3?

I don't think it's actually possible, but I do still have a couple of PSPs that I may try something with.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@Tasuki I think I'm surprised at the points themselves, rather than the placements. That being said, I didn't expect MGS to be first, but I certainly expected it to be in the top three or top five.

The points analysis from @Th3solution is really interesting (nerd pride, woo!) and makes you wonder how things would've been different if there were a couple of MGS games on PSone, or if some of the other franchises represented weren't quite so prolific. Fans of Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and Tomb Raider have to pick between quite a few releases for the console, whereas MGS is just MGS (if you don't count the Virtual Missions, which few do).

It's also interesting to note that, of those prolific franchises, many of the votes have gone to the first entry in the series, even if it isn't widely considered to be the best, because of nostalgia and the "it was the game that started it all" factor. That second reason is what a lot of people mentioned when voting for MGS. It'll be the PS2 poll where we'll see how that pans out for Snake.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic