Forums

Topic: Official Push Square Xbox Thread

Posts 961 to 980 of 2,436

Tasuki

@BAMozzy @FullbringIchigo Well the whole reason MS entered the console market was cause at the time console games were outselling PC games big time. But let's remember this was when internet gaming was at it's infancy. In fact Xbox is short for Direct X Box.

I think switch the name to Xbox Game Studio also is due to the rumors of Mobile and Switch integration of Xbox Live.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki it feels like the first step in a plan to move to a software based service with XBL integrated onto every gaming machine, that's why i think they will eventually drop from manufacturing consoles themselves and instead put XBL on P.C, Nintendo, Mobile and eventually PlayStation (i think if XB wasn't making a console Sony would probably allowing it on PS)

i can honestly see the Scarlett maybe being the penultimate console or even possibly their swan song console and then moving into a digital distribution service (which the PS6 would probably be anyway, assuming we get a PS6 that is)

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Tasuki

@FullbringIchigo Well MS did originate as a Software company after all. I don't think it will be a as big of a shock if MS were to stop making consoles and just concentrate on software like it was with Sega.

I can see as XBL just becoming a digital marketplace for multiple systems and consoles say like Google with movies.

My Backlog

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki to be honest they would probably make more money doing that

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Tasuki

@FullbringIchigo That and if they were to do that it will be a huge step forward in the cross play field.

Imagine I own a Nintendo console you own a Sony and someone else owns a PC but we all buy say Madden from the XB Game store boom we can all play with each other.

Not only that but make a contract with XB Games and systems like Nintendo will get a more robust third party library.

My Backlog

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki it is certainly an interesting development, i'm actually looking forward to what it could mean

Tasuki

So I am thinking of picking up an external HD for my Xbox One, problem is I am not sure what size. I have a 5tb for my PS4 as that is my main console but my Xbox One I use mainly for exclusives and MP games with friends who only own Xbox Ones. I am planning to get Anthem here to play with them. And the majority of my games I will be getting for the Xbox are Game Pass games and GwG.

My Backlog

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki thing is if you haven't turned it off any game that is XB1X Enhanced will also download the 4K assets so games can be quite big (FFXV for example is 100GB on XB1 with all DLC while on PS4 it's only 75GB) but still saying that if all your doing is buying exclusives and games your mates have then even with Game Pass and GwG a 5TB like you have on PS4 should be fine BUT if i remember correctly you can have 2 installed at a time so you could always add another if needed

BAMozzy

@FullbringIchigo I don't mean just like the Steam box but maybe something similar. Other 'licensed' companies - like HP and Acer - could make a 'console' designed box - maybe with or without a Disk Drive so you have a few different choices on which device you want to play your Xbox games on. I can see at least one device including a Hard Drive - especially for people like me who have a big library of physical games that I expect to be playable on the 'next box'. I think that MS will continue to make a console - much like they make a Surface but also others will make a 'licensed' alternative too. That may well fit in with their E3 comment about 'consoles' - plural. They may well drop out of the manufacturing of consoles entirely and have others make the hardware under license with an Xbox logo/branding.

In all honesty, their future consoles are most likely going to be more 'multi-media' PC's in a console shaped box and designed primarily to sit under the TV and offer multi-media functionality - like Bluray player with Atmos audio. The primary OS will still be Windows 10 based and we have seen MS add Keyboard and Mouse support so its already becoming more a multi-media gaming PC that is stripped down to just the gaming/multi-media aspect - not a PC for office, word etc.

Its clear they are looking to merge ALL their Gamers together - whether that's Xbox on console, PC or mobile. They are not splitting these up so the hardware is more of an enabler to play your games on. The brand of the hardware isn't important any more because everyone is an 'Xbox' gamer whether that is on a console, a Laptop/Tablet, a mobile or desktop PC. All their games are playable on any of these devices essentially - maybe a few won't be playable on some devices due to the hardware limitations - playing Halo 6 on a mobile phone for example may not be an option but you could play it on PC and/or Console without having to buy the games multiple times.

I don't necessarily think we will see the 'end' of consoles - maybe the line between what a console and PC is will be blurred - If you have a more horizontal based PC designed to run primarily on a TV as opposed to a monitor and with 4k HDR Bluray player and other multi-media capability, you basically have an Xbox. I wouldn't be surprised if they do eventually become more PC like - the ability to have Software more associated with PC's - like Office, Word etc - even if they built primarily for gaming first. I don't know if those with Alien gaming PC's are used for much more than just gaming - even though they could be. I wouldn't be surprised though if the difference between an Alien PC and a 'Xbox' Console is minimal in the future - just one being designed to sit under a TV and the other to go on a desk.

It would be great if you could buy ANY brand of console and play ANY games on it. MS and Sony would still get money as the publisher and maybe offer subscription services like Game Pass - much like you can subscribe to Netflix and Amazon on the same device. They wouldn't have to make consoles and sell at a loss (or minimal profit) although you could see Sony or MS built hardware - like you can find Sony or Samsung Bluray players.

Who knows what the future holds but I can see a time when MS aren't the only branded console type device to play Xbox games and other parties could be licensed to make console type devices to play Xbox games. We are nearly there now as you can 'build' a horizontal PC with a Bluray drive and connect it to your TV, play Xbox digital games with an Xbox controller so why not buy a 3rd party manufacturers to make a multi-media PC and use that under your TV now? You could get a GTX2080ti i9 PC to play Xbox games on now - although most 3rd party games would probably be on Steam but the point is, you already can have a PC under your TV with access to all the 'newest' Xbox games so its not to far fetched that this is an insight into the future - except the next box would have to allow you to play all your existing Xbox games and maybe not allow you to access Steam for example.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

BAMozzy

@Tasuki You can add up to 2 HDDs as long as they are 256GB or more. You can add two 8TB USB 3.0 HDD drives and increase your storage up to 16TB's. However, once its formatted, you do lose some of that - you don't get a full 8TB from one. Its up to you though how much extra storage you think you may need. I have a 5TB on mine and that's got all my games on it - not 'every' game but most of the Physical disc based games and a few GwG/digital games - I still have quite a bit of space - several TB's

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Tasuki

@FullbringIchigo @BAMozzy Yeah I don't even have my 5tb on my PS4 filled so I don't think I really need one for the Xbox One, since I plan on having less games on that then the PS4 I dont really think I need a 5tb.

My Backlog

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki i always found that it's better to go with the bigger than i need option, just in case, say if i need 2TB's i'll get a 4TB HDD

Tasuki

Ok so I got a 2tb Harddrive for my Xbox One. I plugged it in and went to access the drive but it says it must be 3.0 or faster and the device is too slow. I am confused. I bought a HD specifically for Xbox One and used the cable that came with it. So what's the problem?

My Backlog

BAMozzy

@Tasuki Is the drive USB 3.0? Have you tried a soft reset (hold the power button down for 5secs or so) with cable connected? Have you tried a different USB port? To be honest, other than that and without looking at it myself, I don't know what else to suggest...

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki check the paperwork that came with the drive and see if it's 3.0, if not then i'm afraid it wont work on the XB1 at all

on a side note was it just a random drive or one of the XBOX branded ones?

Tasuki

@FullbringIchigo @BAMozzy It's an official HD and all the paperwork said it was a 3.0. I ended up plugging it in the USB port on the side and it worked fine. Not sure why it didn't work when I plugged it in the back USB ports though.

My Backlog

BAMozzy

@Tasuki I don't know - maybe the rear USB port is only a 2.0 port? Maybe its just being awkward? Maybe re-try it now its synced with the console. I would also consider doing the Soft reset too....

At least its working now!

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki @BAMozzy it possible that the USB port might be broken, you should try something else in it to see

MaccaMUFC

Crackdown 3 has actually released! I never thought it would see the light of day with the delays and delevlopment problems it had, I was sure it was going to be cancelled like Scalebound.

I haven’t played it enough yet to give a proper opinion on it but my first impressions of what I’ve played so far is that it’s the same Crackdown we know and love, I’m really enjoying it, graphics are great, the original orb sounds are back and Goodwins voice is still there “Skills for kills Agent, Skills for kills” most famous line to come out of the franchise. Terry Crews is the perfect role for Jaxon, he has the physique and attitude to give Jaxon a personality, he’s no longer just a mute agent like in previous Crackdowns.

It’s definitely worth a try with the current offer of Gamepass, £2 for 2 months.

MaccaMUFC

BAMozzy

Did you see that Crackdown 3 only managed to come in at 13th place in the UK sales chart. The launch sales are barely 10 per cent of what Crackdown 2 managed in 2010 although Crackdown 3 may have a lot of users via Game Pass . That and digital sales were not included in the figures but that's quite poor.

Jim Sterling (as well as a LOT of critics) weren't very impressed and quite scathing too. I did see a lot saying its like 2007's Crackdown and hasn't evolved. I must admit, I didn't see anything that really interested me and I enjoyed the first Crackdown. I don't know if I would enjoy playing it now though which was one of the reasons I haven't bothered with it. If I had Game Pass and got this as part of my subscription I may of downloaded and played it but I certainly didn't think it was worth spending money on it directly.

I wonder if the week sales are down to Game Pass or just a mediocre game that a LOT of people decided not to spend money on it - yet....

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic