Forums

Topic: Official Push Square Xbox Thread

Posts 821 to 840 of 2,436

JimbobLink

One thing I hadn't realised until I let my Gold subscription lapse is that you don't retain access to GwG Xbox One games when not subscribed to Gold. You still retain access to GwG Xbox 360 games as you always did, but I hadn't realised that Microsoft had shifted to the same subscriber model as Sony. Still not convinced to go back to Gold, even with the offer of £26.50 for the year that they keep tempting me with on the dashboard. The last 11 years of Xbox were a blast, but PS interests me far more now.

JimbobLink

Rudy_Manchego

When I got my XB1 I only bought a 3 month Gold subscription so took advantage of the sale and bought it for a year at £26. Boom.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

crippyd

It is a really good deal the £26 for a year. I got it a couple of weeks back through the dashboard when mine was about a couple of days off expiring.

crippyd

Kidfried

@crippyd In tagging you because you're this site's person for anything Xbox. What did you think of the recent rumours surrounding the next-gen?

Have you already thought about the next generation, about what you're buying?

Kidfried

crippyd

@Kidfried I'm sorry, I haven't been keeping too much up to date other than there is more Xbox consoles coming. I'll be upgrading when they do come out and probably going all digital too. I've found that much more convenient this gen. If there is a base model and a premium model, I'll go premium as I think the X is great.
TBH, I'll stick with Xbox over PS as I find more of the games appeal to me on the more Western focused console. I'm a Halo/Forza type of guy.
Have you thought about it much?

crippyd

FullbringIchigo

@Kidfried what rumours about next gen?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Tasuki

So if anyone here is a fan of Stardew Valley, I high recommend Graveyard Keeper for the Xbox One (or PC). Its basically Stardew Valley but instead of a farm it's a graveyard. Super addictive too just like Stardew.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

MaccaMUFC

@Tasuki It’s also on the Game Pass for those that have subscribed to it.

MaccaMUFC

BAMozzy

Not a great month from my perspective....

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Tasuki

Yep figured we get a bad month since we got a good one last month. I think it's an written law that they can't have two good months in a row. 😂

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

MaccaMUFC

I don’t think it’s too bad this month, I played the trial version Prison Architect and I enjoyed it, not sure about others but I’ll still download them and give them a go.

MaccaMUFC

BAMozzy

If you are going to make a 'custom' console - then this is the way to do it!! Much better than changing the colour only and having a 'sticker' logo/graphic.....

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

JimbobLink

I'm trying to decide which console to get Shadow of the Tomb Raider on. I have an original PS4, and an Xbox One S.

I definitely want HDR, and I believe that the PS4 disc will give me that when running on an original PS4, but I can't seem to find out whether HDR for this game will be available on Xbox One S, or whether it will be restricted to Xbox One X only?

In terms of the 4K upscaling, both versions will be upscaled to 4K but potentially in different ways. With the original PS4, the only option for upscaling is to let my LG OLED55B7V do it. With the Xbox One S, I have a choice as to whether the console does the upscaling or the TV does it.

Does anybody have a view as to which upscaling method is "better"?

Moving on to the sound options, Dolby Atmos would be a nice to have as my TV supports it. I believe that the Xbox One version of the game will give me that when running on an Xbox One S, but the PS4 version will not when running on a PS4 original.

Basically, if the Xbox One version gives me HDR, upscaling options (via the console settings) and Dolby Atmos when running from an Xbox One S then I'm going for that version.
Otherwise it'll be the PS4 version as the HDR is the most important feature for me.

JimbobLink

Kidfried

@JimbobLink Rise of the Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider Definitive both ran better on the PS4 than the Xbox 1. (Note: I'm not talking about the Pro or X. That's a different ballgame).

So that's something to consider as well, as the OG PS4 Pro is better than the Xbox One S. Rise of the Tomb Raider for instance had input lag on Xbox, but not on PS4.

On Xbox you'll probably have Atmos support, but 4K upscaling I wouldn't dare to predict.

Do you want to pre order it? Bevause these technical specs are often out in the open just after the game's release, so personally I'd wait.

Kidfried

BAMozzy

@JimbobLink Both the PS4 and Xbox One S should support HDR but as you said, the S will support Atmos IF the game has it - not that a TV can give 'true' Atmos as it doesn't have the speaker set up anyway and really only beneficial if you have an Amp and speaker set up capable of delivering Atmos.

As for upscaling, I would imagine that both the TV and Xbox would be decent at upscaling. Whether you can detect any difference or not at 'normal' viewing distances though can be tested with 'any' game on your X just by setting the output to 1080p. Its only worth looking at the Xbox version when doing this test though because the 'source' (ie the actual game itself) will be running at exactly the same resolution and visual settings in both cases. I would imagine though that the PS4 version would be better - whether its higher resolution, better visual settings, better frame rates or combination of these. If you are thinking about 'upscaled' image quality, the PS4 is more likely to be starting at a 'better' point than the Xbox version.

Rise, for example (not counting the first as that was built for last gen - but the definitive ran at 30fps on Xbox but 60 on PS4 for comparisons) ran very similarly to the Xbox version BUT had higher quality visual settings better shadows. The Xbox isn't as strong with its GPU but does have a better CPU - faster anyway - than the PS4. No doubt visually, the PS4 will be better equipped for Shadow too.

If I had just a PS4 and Xbox One S, I would almost certainly be buying the game on PS4 because I would expect that to deliver a higher visual presentation and/or performance. Audio - especially if you are relying on TV speakers, would not factor in to my decision making. I would take 5.1 through an Amp and speaker set-up over Atmos through TV speakers every time.

I am getting the Xbox version myself because I have a Project Scorpio 'X' and Rise was significantly 'better' than the Pro version but like I said, if I had the base hardware, then I would probably be looking at the PS4 version - or at least waiting on a DF breakdown to see what differences either console version had.

JimbobLink

@Kidfried @BAMozzy Thanks both. From what you've both said, it seems like the PS4 version will likely be the way to go. As I have Rise on both consoles, I'll do some of my own comparison tests to see which one comes out better. I won't get HDR or Atmos from Rise on either of those consoles, so in that sense it will be a fair comparison.

The reason I question the Xbox One S HDR is because not every game that supposedly has HDR will output it from the S. For example, Forza Horizon 3 does but Minecraft does not (I think the HDR is tied in with the 4K graphics update for the X), and neither does Rise.

If I had the Xbox One X, then it would be a no brainer to go for the Xbox One version of Shadow.

The Atmos sound from the LG OLED is excellent by the way, and I find myself using that more than my 5.1 setup now.

JimbobLink

BAMozzy

Not a great month...

I have NO interest in Overcooked, Victor Vran looks OK - A Diablo 3, Van Helsing type isometric game and of the 360 titles Hitman: Blood Money is the standout as Stuntman was mediocre...

It could be worse of course but I don't think its a 'great' month!

FullbringIchigo

@BAMozzy the PS4's lineup is pretty poor this October too but at least it has a horror themed game on there for Halloween

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Tjuz

@BAMozzy You should try out Overcooked if you have someone to play it with. It's quite a lot of fun, but frustrating at times as well — in a good and enjoyable way.

Tjuz

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic