Forums

Topic: Official Push Square Xbox Thread

Posts 561 to 580 of 2,436

BAMozzy

@KratosMD There is no right or wrong answer to that question. What's right for one is not right for all and you have to do what's right for you. The way Xbox is position itself at the moment appears to be looking at keeping your existing library with you as long as you stay with Xbox. Any games you have, dating back to the OG Xbox in some cases will continue to be with you in the future too. That also includes any games you may have acquired via Games with Gold and all those 360 games are yours permanently regardless (you don't need Gold or to be online to play).

Its no secret that MS don't 'appear' to have much in the way of upcoming exclusives BUT Phil Spencer has taken the decision to only reveal the 'near future' - generally the 'next year' of games only. Since games have been delayed, cancelled and brought out year after year, Phil has had to deal with the fallout from this - we see Sony also handling announcements differently too with games being announced with at best a vague release window - often with none at all because they have had to deal with the fallout from delays. This is why we have little idea what's lined up beyond E3 2018 from MS. Regular as clockwork though, you can expect another Forza Horizon in September and no doubt Halo 6 and Gears 5 to follow at some-point. There was a leak that seemed to indicate a new Fable, new Perfect Dark, New mech game, Age of Empires to come to console in the future etc. Whether these appeal or not, I don't know but Sony don't offer anything like Forza Horizon and can't think of any RTS games like Halo Wars for example. Games like Ori, Cuphead etc don't tend to get the credit they are due because they are 'indies' but they are award winning games. I must admit Sea of Thieves doesn't appeal, State of Decay won't be a day 1 (if I buy it) and Crackdown hasn't grabbed my attention like the first did.

Anyway, I can totally understand that if you have the base XB1, its not exactly the best for multi-plats and if the exclusives, solid as they are even if they aren't all GotY contenders don't appeal, then that's the decision you need to make. I had an Xbox and 360 so I have way to many games on my XB1 that would be lost if I sold. I have around 100 games ready to install right now so it wouldn't make sense in my situation but as I said, each person is different.

You could wait to see what happens between now and E3. I don't think you will get a lot for an OG XB1 - not enough to buy a Switch anyway so you could save some money between now and E3 to see what the state of play is then. Maybe by then, the Switch will have dropped in price too. Then again,buying a new Xbox S could be an option later if you do decide to get an Xbox in the future - they aren't expensive either...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Tasuki

@KratosMD Who even said that a new model Switch is even going to be coming? Unless you happen to know an uncle's college roommate's sister's boyfriend's cousin's dad who works for Nintendo you can't even be sure a new version of the Switch is coming.

And before you say Xbox One X and PS4 Pro keep in mind Nintendo has never done that in the past the Wii U never got an upgrade nor did the Wii.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

carlos82

@KratosMD Weirdly I've kind of gone the other way, I don't play my Switch at all at the moment having finished with Mario and Zelda and have just bought the Xbox One X. I've been out of the Xbox loop for quite some time so im not really short of games to play on it added to the fact that it's now the home for my multiplatform stuff (sorry guys it's just better than the Pro). Halo 5, Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 are easily as good as anything on PS4 whilst Cuphead is one of the best games I've ever played. Upcoming games seem a bit slim at the moment (though I like the look of Sea of Thieves) yet there are still rumours of Perfect Dark and Fable and maybe there'll be surprises at E3. I can see that having been with it since day one you'll have slim pickings, particularly as you'd likely use PS4 for multiplatform games.

As for Switch it's a great system which has some amazing games already and as @kyleforrester87 says better compliments the PS4 but I wouldn't wait for a hardware revision for the next couple of years at least. All I would say is that it could be worth waiting until E3 as last year was all about the X so maybe we'll get some surprises on the gaming front this time.

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

Rudy_Manchego

@KratosMD Yeah to be honest, I only have a handful of titles on the 360 I would want to keep and probably not worth keeping the 360 for it I did get an XB1. Thanks for the advice though. I've played a few BC titles with a friend on his XB1S when I last visited and the downloading was a pain the backside when we started flitting between titles. To be honest though, if I got another console and didn't sacrifice the 360, my wife would probably have my knackers.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

BAMozzy

@KratosMD The most obvious from that would be to sell your old gen - the 360, PS3 and WiiU. You could keep the 360 games and play on the XB1 anyway. Maybe sell any handheld you own too as that will be replaced by the Switch - get rid of all the old that won't be getting any new games and keep those that will - just in case. I spent most of 2017 without once turning on my Xbox. Between Gears 4 and Forza 7, not one 'exclusive' launched that I wanted and all my multi-plats were on PS4 Pro - until I pre-ordered my Project Scorpio. I bought Destiny 2 for the Xbox as its much better to sort out Raids and online is 'better' too on Xbox (not a lot but still better) so that was what eventually made me turn on my Xbox after months. I couldn't get rid of either though. Point is there is always lulls but generally something interesting on the horizon. Sony have shown their hand for the next couple of years and its an impressive line-up. MS are keeping their hand close to their chest and only showing the near future. Owning both 'current' consoles though does give you access to all new releases so its better to hold on to these and get rid of the older generations first - those won't get 'new' games and the 360 is basically emulated on the XB1 anyway so even less reason to hold onto that console. Sell those, put the money towards a Switch and then you have options. Maybe after E3, when you have a clearer picture of the next year for MS, you can decide then. If you have Gold, at least you can still get 4 games a month and Game Pass will give you access to all new Exclusives too - even if they don't 'grab' you enough to part with money on day 1, they could be worth downloading and trying as part of that subscription. Like I said, chances are that MS's next console will also play all of these too so you won't lose your library but can replace your hardware - like upgrading your PC...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

BAMozzy

@Rudy_Manchego I know its a pain having to download the 360 games but I see it as the same principal as installing to HDD or buying digitally. The disc is acting like a digital code to download - although you do still need the disc to verify your licence. At least the file sizes aren't as big as an XB1 game and its only needed for the first time. I don't see it as much different to buy a 'new' game and waiting for that to install, waiting for a patch to download - often bigger than a 360 game but at least once done, its not something you have to do every time you play that game. I would rather it downloaded the games and they work rather than not have BC at all.

Rudy_Manchego

@BAMozzy Yeah - my only experience of it was having a gaming session on one of the rare occasions I managed to get time with an old friend. We used to do a lot of co-op gaming back in the 360 days but now are split by system and geographically. We were hopping from game to game from our back catalogue and it obviously wasn't instant (we were also not on a great internet connection). But if I were to get an XB1 then it would be for the MP with said friend first and foremost and then I would probably just download my favourites as and when. Even if it isn't perfect I do think the MS is really doing something great with backwards compatibility and I hope other manufacturers follow suit.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

BAMozzy

@KratosMD The way MS are going about Backwards Compatibility, I think it has a greater potential for being 'future proof'. They are looking to 'preserve' the games first and foremost to stop them 'dying' and only being available to those who kept their old hardware or retro collectors. In 20yrs time, I can still see their OG Xbox BC games being available. Of course not all games will be preserved but I bet the majority of XB1 games will. Games that may lose some licence (like we have seen with past Marvel games) may disappear but the majority will be preserved. Its more like the PC market in that respect rather than the console market.

As for the value of the XB1 on trade in, I doubt it will differ too much in the next 4 months. I doubt you will get much more than a 'game' or 2 for it and a couple of £'s/$'s per physical game you have. A bit extra if its boxed with Kinect but its certainly not going to get you a Switch - let alone a Switch with the 'game(s)' you may want and any peripherals. It may get you some money towards it but I would be surprised if you got more than a 3rd to a half of the cost (depending on games, boxed and with/without kinect) of the console alone. You may get more if you sell privately but generally, discontinued working consoles and games. You can buy a new XB1s for less money than any other console and often with new game(s), controllers or other 'extras' too so the trade in value isn't that high. I paid over £400 for mine, boxed with Kinect. I doubt I would get more than £70-75 for it now - still boxed with Kinect and in good condition and all manuals etc. That would still leave me over £200 short on a Switch (without a game).

I know you said you would lose games if you sold your 360 - although if you bought Digitally and they are on (or come to) BC, you can download them on the XB1 - but if you aren't playing the console anymore, does it matter? Its the same principal as selling the XB1 because you aren't playing the games anymore. If Nintendo do the same thing as MS in that any 'digital' WiiU games you bought, can be downloaded on Switch, then it doesn't matter if you sell the WiiU. Also if you aren't playing those games, does it matter if you hold on to the console?

Your comments about 'losing' because you bought Digitally will apply just as much in the future - when Sony bring out their PS5, 6 etc. With digital games I owned on the 360, they appear in my 'ready to install' section on my XB1 - why I have 100 or so games 'ready to install'. I would expect the next gen MS to have all those and all XB1 digital games I have in my Ready to Install list.

Anyway, as I said the choice is yours and its only you that can decide what the best action for you will be.

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD 60, really the cheap gits

i bet they sell them for over 150 as well

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Rudy_Manchego

@KratosMD @FullbringIchigo I was looking at second hand Xbox One's, both OG and S and the OG in the UK has a cash trade in value of about £70 at the stores I looked at but do still sell for £150. THe S model to buy second hand is about £190. That is some serious mark up.

kyleforrester87

@Rudy_Manchego CEX do £77 and £110 credit. The credit isn't bad if you wanted to get something second hand from them. But to be honest less than £100 isn't even worth unplugging it all and carting it into town in my opinion.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Rudy_Manchego

@kyleforrester87 Agreed - I tend to sell any of my hardware via ebay or friends since you can normally get more than the trade in price.

FullbringIchigo

@Rudy_Manchego @kyleforrester87 yeah i agree anything less than £100 really isn't worth it not for a current gen system even if it's the original model and not one of the advanced ones

i feel that a lot of these trade in stores take advantage of people especially CeX or GAME

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Rudy_Manchego

@kyleforrester87 @FullbringIchigo A typical markup at start would be 50%, even with new products but a lot of larger stores leverage economies of scale and reduce for a 30-40% markup. While I can see the business side of stores like Game and CEX, I do think that typically the person trading in is getting the worse deal while the store and the person who buys the recycled product gets the best deal. I understand the convenience, especially if you are trading in and exchanging but I tend to get better value selling privately. Then again, you have more risk. I tend to buy from CEX more than sell or trade.

BAMozzy

@KratosMD Now you know why these retailers are so keen to push their 2nd hand goods. Its because they buy low and sell 'high' but not quite as high as new - much bigger mark up and profit though.

When I did a bit of research, The best price for a 'good' condition OG XB1 with Kinect, controller etc was £70-£75, £60-65 without Kinect. That's trade in, some will give a bit more for 'credit' but that means they are selling you something with 'profit' on and also potentially getting profit from the item you trade.

As I said, if you want 'more' for it, the best bet is to sell it privately. Undercut the store but remember they are oblige to offer some warranty. Its also the least desirable console - A big block with an external power block, not even as powerful as the Slim - albeit a minor difference - doesn't come with HDR or 4k Bluray so its not going to be as 'desirable' for traders either. As I said, you won't get more than a game or two in value from trading in...

BAMozzy

@KratosMD As I said in my first post on this, I think it would have made sense to see what MS have in store for the next year and see if they have some games that interest you. It maybe worth looking to see what 360 games you can play on it too - see if you can trade that in and transfer the bulk of your games up. A lot do perform 'better' (if not perfect - unless you have an X) on the more powerful hardware.

Tasuki

Not sure if anyone can help me here but I figure I ask before I just get rid of my Xbox 360. I went to down load the free Game with Gold tonight but instead I was greeted with a message saying that until I pay for my account it is suspended. Well I tried to go to the site that it told me to go too however I don't remember the email that's tied to the account long story short I had to create a Hotmail account for some stupid reason so I just made a quick bs one.

Anyway I looked to find a section for forgot email like a password recovery but no luck so anyone know how I can get into my account without knowledge of my email or is the account lost to for all time. I had some digital games tied to the account which is one reason I don't want to give up on this account. So any ideas?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki no idea i'm afraid, this happened to my brother once and we wasn't able to retrieve it so he had to create a new account

i suggest checking the official xbox site, there might be something on there or just doing a google search like "recover lost xbox live account" or something

BAMozzy

@Tasuki To a degree, the reason MS won't help is that anyone could claim to be Tasuki for example and say they have forgotten both the email and the password. If MS were to give that out or reset it so that the person claiming puts their password in, you could lose you account entirely.

However, this may help you https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/my-account/microsoft-account/f...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic