Forums

Topic: Official Push Square Xbox Thread

Posts 441 to 460 of 2,436

BAMozzy

Microsoft has revealed the first 13 backwards-compatible original Xbox games for Xbox One. These first 13 will be available tomorrow, October 24. All are enhanced with 1080p resolution, higher and/or smoother framerates, and faster loading times.

These are the first 13 games you can play on any Xbox One if you own the title.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Ninja Gaiden Black
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Fuzion Frenzy
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Psychonauts
Dead to Rights
Black
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Sid Meier’s Pirates!
Red Faction II
BloodRayne 2
The King of Fighters Neowave

If you still have your original Xbox disc, just insert it into your Xbox One console. If you own it digitally, that will also work. For titles that support System Link multiplayer, it still works – even across the Xbox family. Online multiplayer is not supported, however, as servers for original Xbox games were shut down years ago.

Also Microsoft’s Xbox backwards compatibility team is adding Xbox One X-specific enhancements to four high-profile Xbox 360 games that are already playable on Xbox One:
Halo 3
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fallout 3
Assassin’s Creed

All four updates will be available for free to anyone who owns the game on November 7, the same day the Xbox One X launches. Some titles now have 10-bit color depth unlocked where they previously had 8-bit, others have HDR lighting enabled, and all have nine times the on-screen pixels.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

crippyd

My internet is going to take a pounding on 7th November then, I have Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed and then all the other stuff that'll need downloading when I fire up my Scorpio Edition.

The only game I had off the first list was Black and that was a superb game. Very challenging and fantastic graphics at the time. I watched a lets play type video of it the other day and it still looked quite good for such an old title.

crippyd

BAMozzy

@crippyd I have an external HDD and as some games will be patched before the 7th, I can pre-download in readiness. The X 360 editions are, as afar as I am aware, just using the games as they were coded/built but just changing the settings rather than adding any 'extras' to them

Ninja Gaiden Black (OG Xbox Game) was actually made in widescreen and at a higher resolution but was limited by the hardware. I guess its no different to most of todays games that are built in 4k but then limited to 1080p (or less) for the consoles

Here is a video of KOTTR and how it compares on both XB1s and OG Xbox.

As you can see, the resolution does make quite a difference BUT you can also see how the textures are not replaced by higher res versions. Like Forza 7, RotTR, Shadow of War, Gears 4 etc, the X will have high res textures which is why these 'updates' and/or texture packs will be needed for the X and why the file sizes are 'large'.

Taken from IGN
“This detail has always been there, but the technology of the day was holding it back,” said Xbox principal software engineer Eric Heutchy as he pointed out the orange bill and black outline now clearly visible in 1080p on a duck icon in Fuzion Frenzy’s “Twisted System” minigame.

Basically saying that these 'old' games were not necessarily built at SD resolutions - even back then and so that 'detail' the extra resolution is able to offer is not something that is being added 'now' but because of higher quality hardware and displays, being able to show it.

I think its great that these games are not at the exact same level at which we first played these. The fact the new hardware can allow games to be 'enhanced' through nothing more than a 'tweak' of a setting or two (like increasing the output resolution) and some of the 'inbuilt' Anisotropic Filtering (in the case of those X enhanced games) is great.

I know that some games still show their age in more than just visuals (especially the OG BC titles and the 4:3 ratio) but at least they have made these 'better' than they were - maybe not quite as good as we remember. I say remember because I remember thinking how 'lifelike' Goldeneye looked and being amazed at how well they captured the actors likeness for all the characters but look back at these now and you wonder how you could have been so impressed by the visuals, how rough they look etc. I thought KOTTR was so realistic but compared to what Dice's Star Wars: Battlefront 2 looks like, its a massive difference

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

FullbringIchigo

SWEET Knights of the Old Republic, i love that game but i haven't been able to play it since my OGXB died

i'll be all over that game tomorrow ^_^

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

crippyd

@BAMozzy I have 2 external drives so I'd best start getting them sorted with the 4K patches so I'm not waiting an age when the X arrives. I moved all my games off the internal so it'll be just swapping the drives over.

crippyd

BAMozzy

@crippyd I only have the one - but its still a decently sized (5TB) HDD. With the new update, you should be able to back-up your profile and enable 4k downloads. The back-up to an External means that when your X arrives, you set it up and connect the External HDD then switch it on. Your X will then set itself up with your profile and settings so its ready to go straight away and hopefully with a few 4k games instantly too. Forza 7 (I think - not installed mine yet) is the only 4k game there at the moment - maybe others like Shadow of War but I don't know anyone with that yet.

FullbringIchigo

QUESTION: are the 4k patches mandatory for all systems or are they just going to download on XB1X consoles because i only have a XB1s and i don't have any external HDDs for it so i don't want my already limited HDD to be filled up with stuff i don't need and can't use

it's one of the few things i DON'T like on the PS4, i have downloads for numerous games updated with "Pro Patches" that are just taking up room on my HDD

plus some of them have actually made playing a game on a standard PS4 worse, FFXV for example ever since the last Pro update it has had loads of texture and asset pop in that it never used to have

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

crippyd

@BAMozzy I currently have a 1tb and a 4tb but I'll be buying another 4tb shortly to replace the 1tb. I don't have any of the newer games yet as I'm still trying to power through my backlog but I have things like Witcher 3 to start so I'll be playing through that with the patch installed.

@Fullbringlchigo The patches are only required for the X as far as I know. If you have a 360 or One/S you won't need them.

crippyd

FullbringIchigo

@crippyd yeah i know i don't need them but the question is are they going to force them on us like the PS4 does

unless all the patches are optional to download from the XBL Store then won't every XB1 system just automatically download them as both systems are still playing the same game

crippyd

@Fullbringlchigo Sorry, I worded that badly. It won't automatically download them as far as I know. I think it is a check box on the X to make the download happen otherwise you get the 'normal' version.

crippyd

BAMozzy

@FullbringIchigo The 4k asset packs are not mandatory and shouldn't be necessary with a standard XB1. There maybe games (like Killer Instinct) that has a patch for the XB1X but because its just changing 'settings' - like the PS4 Pro 4k patches - in other words just changing things like Output resolution, shadow quality, draw distances etc without changing the 'textures', these may well be mandatory.

The Pro shouldn't affect the way games work on the PS4. They only change settings without changing the 'textures'. The Pro has the same RAM as the standard PS4 and therefore can't handle higher quality textures. FFxv may well be a 'coincidence' that it has more pop-in but that could be a 'general' change to improve other aspects. Reducing draw distances of the time when 'assets' change from a low res to a HD res for example maybe to improve frame rates across the board but the assets are the same as those used in the Pro version too. Textures may look 'improved' on a pro, but that's only because the resolution is improved - not the 'standard' of the textures - these are identical across both systems. The Pro patches are mandatory because they look at the console you are playing on and use the appropriate settings for each. They may also contain other aspects - like game-play patches to fix 'something' - no different from any other game update.

The X has the capacity to handle 'High (4k) assets' but because the XB1, like the PS4 and Pro only has more limited RAM (all 3 only have 5.5GB allocated for gaming) so uses the HD standard Textures. This is why the X is getting 4k texture packs. A game like Shadow of War has 2 optional packs - the 4k Cinematic pack and 4k texture pack. Only the Pro and X can use the 4k Cinematics but only the X can use the 4k textures so both are available to X owners only whilst the 4k Cinematics are available to Pro owners but Base PS4/XB1 owners don't need to download either.

If you don't enable the 4k 'download' option in the settings, then you will only get the necessary downloads for each game. Like I said, some of these 'may' be required to make the game work on both consoles as expected (along with maybe some updates with the game that would be required regardless) but these are updates that determine what console you are playing on and adjust the settings accordingly - like the PS4 updates that know if you are playing on the base or Pro and changes the settings. Only those games that go much further than that, the ones that change the textures to 4k textures will not be required.

The TL:DR is that some games may well be updated with the 4k patch that is mandatory for all BUT the 4k texture or cinematic packs - the ones that are 'big' are not mandatory. There is a difference between a 4k patch that only changes the 'code' so the game knows which system its on and adjusts the settings accordingly and a the patches that supply textures/assets etc. On the Pro, you only get the 'code' changing patches but these ALSO may patch game issues too (not saying they don't introduce 'new' issues) where as on the Xbox, you could still get mandatory game code patches but 4k textures packs etc should be separate.

4k 'patch' - This is relatively small (although may depend on whether there are other aspects - like game fixes too and would still be 'patched' regardless of the 4k aspect) and only change the game settings depending on the console its played on. Because its only changing 'code' its very small - no different from any other 'game patch'

4k Texture packs - these are large and replace the whole textures in a game for higher res versions. The Pro does NOT have these and uses the same textures on both PS4 and Pro.

In the future, MS will be introducing 'Intelligent Delivery' so X users can delete HD textures to save space - the XB1s users obviously need these but if a game in the future comes with 4k textures as 'standard' you could delete these and replace with HD. Both XB1s and X will also be able to delete or just install the Language pack' that relates to their area. A lot of space is taken up by multiple language support and you may not want/need French, German, Spanish etc language packs so you can just install/keep the English Language pack. You may also be able to delete/install specific parts of a game - like Campaign, MP etc. If you don't want the MP, you could just install the Campaign, or once you have finished the Campaign, delete it to free up space and just keep the MP.

I don't know if you had an XB360 and bought BF3. If you did, they had an 8GB 'texture' pack to install to improve the Textures. On PS4 this was mandatory but because the Xbox had a 4GB 'Arcade' version, they couldn't insist you installed an 8GB texture pack. Therefore you could play BF3 with 'low quality' textures. The same principal applies here. The difference of course is that the XB1s uses the 'standard' textures but the X replaces those with High Res and these are not mandatory for XB1s users. In fact the XB1s won't even look for them if you don't set it up to look for 4k updates.

FullbringIchigo

@crippyd @BAMozzy well as long as they are optional that's all good then

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki oh well, lets be honest it was a fantastic idea with a lot of promise but it never worked properly

BAMozzy

@Tasuki Not surprising - the tech and concept are great. It really worked well for dance/fitness games - much better than 'move' or Wii motes as it tracked the whole body meaning you actually had to 'dance' in Dance games - including moving your feet.

Unfortunately it was a bit 'laggy' for fast paced games and limited too. It worked well enough to drive in Forza 4, but it lost the ability to accelerate/brake (handled automatically) and felt odd not holding a steering wheel. 2.0 was certainly superior but it lacked the support. It wasn't without controversy either being bundled at launch etc which greatly added to its price. It was never going to deliver on certain games and left it really as nothing more than a device for Party games and easy navigation - not just the Dash but also during playback of movies etc too.

I guess it could have found a use with VR - able to track your whole body - not just the headset and controllers (as Sony's Camera does for example) but MS appear to be going a different route with VR. The headset having its own cameras to track its self in the environment and even incorporate that real world image into AR - unlike Hololens which superimposes its AR onto the real world, these headsets are showing you the real world through its cameras and layering on AR instead. It seems as though some of the Kinect tech may reside in these headsets instead. The advantage of these VR headsets though is that you are not limited to a 'small letterbox' for AR and can deliver VR too but unlike Hololens, you don't see the 'real world' just a cameras view of the real world. Mixed Reality means both AR and VR. I am sure the lessons they learned though with Kinect, tracking objects including Arms and Legs and able to mirror that in VR can help immersion. Kinect maybe dead as we knew it but it could still live on in some other ways. I know a lot of robotics used Kinect as its eye on the world and found a lot of use in non-gaming sectors.

I still have both my Kinect and Kinect 2.0 - I also have the means to connect 2.0 to the X if I wanted but since I got my S over a year ago, I haven't missed it. I only used it for minor operations - like turning the Xbox off or scanning a QR code.

BAMozzy

November's 2017 Games with Gold lineup for Xbox One includes: Trackmania Turbo and Tales from the Borderlands. For Xbox 360 owners (and through Xbox One backward compatibility), November kicks off with NiGHTS into Dreams, followed by Deadfall Adventures.

crippyd

Well that's 4 games I've never played. The 360 ones look a bit ropey.

crippyd

FullbringIchigo

meh, nothing that interests me there this month

BAMozzy

The Trackmania Turbo looks like it could be fun but sounds a bit weird if you and your friends control the same car. If it was just a typical arcade racer, I may have added it to my 'ready to install' list but after hearing that, it put me off.

I don't like the TellTale episodic 'adventures'. Maybe they would be better described as a 'choose your own' interactive story - reminiscent of the 'choose your own' books I used to read as a kid but as a game, I find them lacking and dull.

Nights into Dreams looks dated but then it was a Sega Saturn game from 1996 (21yrs old - how time flies...) and this is the HD XB360 version. Its no wonder it looks 'ropey' by todays standards.

Deadfall Adventures is a game I missed but having looked it up, it released in Nov 2013 - the same month as CoD:Ghosts and of course the XB1/PS4. At that time, I was only interested in the 'next' gen games, although, if it had reviewed well and been 'popular', I think I may well have been more aware of this. Reading a few 'snippets' of reviews, most seemed to feel it was predictable and uninspired retread of familiar concepts and in an era with 'giants of the genre' (FPS) it doesn't do anything the others do better.

That being said, I will probably add Deadfall Adventures and maybe Trackmania and, if I can be bothered, the other two to my 'ready too install' list - whether I then go onto install or not, time will tell. I have around 70 games (mostly GwG games going back to the start of the programme) on that list as it stands now. With Forza 7, Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2, AC: Origins, CoD WW2 and SW:BF2 all to install and held off playing until after 7th November, I am not overly bothered by what GwG are offered.

Tasuki

@BAMozzy I used the Kinect that came with my Star Wars Edition Xbox 360 a few times. Honestly it was ok, my biggest gripe was how much room was needed to properly use it. Unless I wanted to move my furniture around everytime I wanted to use it which obviously I didnt. Which is why I hardly used it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic