Forums

Topic: Official Push Square Xbox Thread

Posts 281 to 300 of 2,436

BAMozzy

@crippyd Bigger numbers don't 'always' mean better. A 5tflop GPU today could easily out-perform a 6(or higher)tflop GPU from 3-4 years ago so its not necessarily just that 'bigger means better' - even though it seems less powerful. In some ways its a bit like Cars where a V8 is not always better than a V6, just because it has more cylinders.

However in the case of the Scorpio, it is a case of 'better' and across the board too. Its CPU doesn't seem 'that' impressive - a tiny bit faster than the PS4 Pro but its also offloading some of the workload that the CPU would normally do such as Audio to other 'custom' areas freeing it up to handle more as well as other custom features and efficiency improvements. RAM is significantly higher with 8GB being available to developers. That's 3GB more than the XB1 has and can transfer over 100Gb/s more info than the Pro. For existing XB1 games, that extra 3GB is used a cache to store assets etc to improve performance, loading times etc.

A game like Forza 6, as that's the only game DF saw, was able to run at 4k/60 with ultra settings and 4k textures at the most difficult and stressful part for the GPU comfortably with 20% still available to do 'more'. If it wasn't locked to a 60fps - this could boost frame rates to 72fps at the most challenging parts on 'ultra' settings - could probably run at 100fps or more in less taxing areas, fewer cars, no rain etc. Of course this is with one of the most streamlined engines on the market so that doesn't mean that all games will have that amount of unused GPU potential to utilise but it does show how much more impressive the GPU is - its much better than just the mathematical numbers would indicate if we were to take the 1.31tflops of the XB1 and directly multiply that up to 6tflops to compare. According to DF, MS also think that 900p games on XB1 should and could run at native 4k thanks to all the improvements they have made.

I still maintain that Sony will come back with the PS5 in Q4 2018 - give MS a year at the top of power tree. The PS4 will be 5yrs old by then too and no PS has a UHD Bluray. It gives Sony a year to sell its own dedicated UHD player and a tangible upgrade over the PS4 era. I wouldn't be surprised if its built more for 4k rather than the half way step the Pro is either. Its RAM isn't sufficient to deal with the texture quality that 4k demands but it is keeping with the concept of the Pro, a more powerful PS4 and on a reasonable budget.

Form factor and pricing is being held back for E3 so I am looking forward to seeing how MS go about pricing. I know it has a faster HDD but storage could still be an issue and I want to know how running my XB1 games will be affected by using an external HDD too - they obviously won't benefit from the faster HDD in this case. Still a few minor outstanding details to find out but I must admit, I was quite impressed by the spec breakdown...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Tasuki

Wow since going BC, Black Ops 2 on 360 has seen quite a resurgence. Today alone it has 175K people online where as ween ago there was maybe 10k.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

crippyd

MS have said that they are going to adopt the Steam system of refunds for digital. There is a 2 week time limit and the game mustn't have been played for more than 2 hours. Sounds like a good idea to me.

crippyd

BAMozzy

I picked up Lara Croft when offered on PS+ and borrowed my sons Lego Star Wars although good to have my own copy. Didn't get the Force Unleashed 2 but quite enjoyed 1 - not the best Star Wars game ever but still fun... Not interested in Giana Sisters though

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Tasuki

I will pass on those. I have Lara on the PS4, Force Unleashed 2 was a cheap cash in on the success of the first game. I have Lego Star Wars and not interested in the other title.

Worst month for XBL GwG in a long awhile.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

FullbringIchigo

i already have Force Unleashed 2 on PS3, Lego Star Wars on Wii and Lara Croft on PS4 so there is nothing for me this month

although i guess spare copies are fine if they are free

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

crippyd

That looks great! I think I'll be getting that at some point.

crippyd

crippyd

@KratosMD Surely it is better to get more updates to make things run smoothly than complain that things are unresolved (for example, external hard drive support)? You could always leave the console on instant on mode so that it downloads the updates to firmware and games when you are not wanting to play?

crippyd

crippyd

@KratosMD I was referring to Sony not updating the PS4 with the external HDD support. Each to their own on the instant on, I much prefer to leave my in the instant on and so far in the 3 1/2 years I've had the console I've only had one issue and that was two weeks ago.

crippyd

BAMozzy

First official Xbox Scorpio Headset... http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/05/08/first-official-xbox-pro...

Untitled

I hope this is an indication of the colour scheme - Black and Silver like the Elite controller...

Expected to ship for Holiday 2017, the LS35X connects directly to Xbox One consoles using the same wireless technology as an official controller, automatically configuring for hassle-free set-up. No base station or chat cable is needed, simply pair the LS35X directly with the Xbox One as you would a controller.

In addition to the direct connect technology, the LS35X boasts a magnitude of technical features designed to offer a premium experience for Xbox gamers. The LS35X uses precision 50mm neodymium drivers to provide exceptionally detailed audio. The LS35X is compatible with Windows Sonic for Headphones surround sound technology, providing exceptionally accurate 3D surround sound when playing on Xbox One Consoles and Windows 10. The LS35X also features state-of-the-art head tracking technology and is also compatible with Dolby® Atmos™ for Headphones surround sound optional add-on for Xbox One and Windows 10.

FullbringIchigo

@BAMozzy Not gonna lie, that looks pretty nice

still not getting a Scorpio though already have a XB1 and beside even with all that power it's still just gonna be playing XB1 games so it's still going to limit what it can do as it's still working with games built on XB1 tech so i doubt the games will be much that better than PS4 games on a Pro (and videos i have seen seem to indicate they ain't)

i think MS should treat the Scorpio as a brand new system and give it some exclusive games built just for it

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

BAMozzy

@FullbringIchigo To a degree, I do agree. I really think MS should be making a 'new' console with Backwards Compatibility to Xbox One and Xbox 360 games - maybe even the Original Xbox games too. However I do disagree that that games are being built on XB1 tech and that games won't be much better than on PS4 and Pro. For a start, the Scorpio has a lot more RAM and much faster too. This enables the Scorpio to use 4k assets in 4k games - something the Pro can't do. If you look at Pro games, most of the texxtures are HD quality and the ONLY improvement is in resolution output. It doesn't have the RAM to load and stream 4K textures. The only image so far released was of Forza 6 which was using 4k textures and assets as well as the native 4k resolution.

Most games these days, 3rd Party, are built to 4k Standards, with 4k assets etc and ported down to consoles. Depending on how powerful that hardware is, what RAM they have available etc, governs how much compromise they have to make but these games are not made to XB1 standards (as the lowest spec device). When it comes to 'first party' games, MS are also making them for the PC market and to run at 4k with 'Ultra' specs (if your PC can handle it) too. These games are scaled down to the hardware and like 3rd party, the lowest Hardware in this case is the XB1. The thing here is that the Scorpio is targeting 4k resolution with 4k assets and that should scale down well to the XB1 regardless. MS are 'happy' to have games releasing at 900p - even 720p and could even use checkerboard rendering on the XB1 to reduce the GPU workload to ensure that games continue to work on the older system. Its no different in essence from the 3rd Party developers making their games to run at 4k on a PC and then scaling them down to 1080p (or lower) to run on PS4/XB1 hardware.

Its not like the 'old' days of consoles where an N64 game could not be ported down to a SNES because the SNES couldn't do 3D in that way, didn't have the 3D chip inside. Nowadays, consoles - even Playstation - are more like PCs where if you own a PS4 its like a GTX780 and limited to playing the game at 1080p with low-medium quality settings and HD textures. The Pro is more like a GTX970 where you can keep the same settings but push the resolution up to 1440p or keep at 1080p and raise the settings to medium-high where as the Scorpio is like a GTX1070 with more RAM to increase Texture quality as well as increase resolution and quality settings to medium/high levels. A game that's running at 4k on Scorpio shouldn't have any issue running at 900-1080p on XB1.

The Pro has a Boost mode that still only uses half the CPU to improve a games performance - essentially running at 2.1Tflops (as opposed to the 1.86tflps in the PS4). With Scorpio all 6tflops are available ALL THE TIME. The extra 3GB of RAM available for gaming works as cache too to improve everything from game visuals, loading times, Texture streaming/loading. That extra 3GB is available for ALL old games as they were built to use (up to) 5GB just like the PS4 and Pro but even the 5GB that was assigned before is now much faster. Some of the processes that the CPU was being used for, is now been moved to specific and dedicated areas inside the SoC so not only is that freeing up some of the workload, its also been boosted too. Latency has been cut right down as well meaning it communicates with the GPU so much more efficiently. Point is, its not only going to perform much better than the Pro in like for like games, its also going to improve the 1000's of games already available - All the XB360 BC games and XB1 games. Even those with locked frame rates and resolution will be improved.

Any game built to take full advantage of the Scorpio and run at 4K will be scaleable down to XB1s

FullbringIchigo

@BAMozzy i would hope that is the case but you know what developers are like now a days, they will do it the cheapest and easiest way possible in order to earn as much money as they can

i have no doubt the Scorpio can do all that but will developers, especially 3rd party ones take advantage of it, or will they just churn out games that look and load slightly better, THAT is the question?

BAMozzy

@FullbringIchigo No different from any developers (inc those owned by Sony) but they also have to make products to sell. The majority of games released are by 3rd Party developers also making the game for PC. Its not like they make 3 (or more) versions of a game, they make one and port it across to the various other platforms. With more 'power' they have less compromises to make and less time it takes trying to get the games to run at a satisfactory level.

Games are no different whether you have a PC with GTX1080ti in SLI or running on an XB1. Obviously they way they look and run is very different. I really don't know what you are expecting. For Xbox owners, they will get the opportunity to experience VR and get the same VR bonus missions/levels as PS but apart from that, I really can't see what 'big' evolution in gaming you are expecting with next gen.

In the last few gens, its mostly been refinement to visuals, lighting etc. Its certainly not been the big jump like 2D to 3D was. We've got virtually realistic graphics and the next generation may well be even more realistic. We've got full HD and HDR visuals so the next step is full 4k. I really don't see PS5 doing anything radically new - just bringing 4k HDR with a 4K HDR Bluray player. I expect it to support Game VRR and Dolby Atmos in gaming too - something the Scorpio does as well...

BAMozzy

Not too bad a line-up...

I know Watch Dogs had its issue but for Free its not bad. AC3 was certainly not the best either but again for free its OK and Dragon Age: Origins has a lot of hours worth of content - certainly enough to keep people busy all month. No interest in Phantom Dust but as they gave that away free, having some DLC is still a nice extra for those that downloaded...

BAMozzy

@KratosMD Phantom Dust is 'free' to play but not sure if its F2P. MS gave the game away free but I was never a fan of it the first time so not downloaded. The way the DLC is though, makes it look like a F2P game...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic