Forums

Topic: Official Push Square Xbox Thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 2,436

BAMozzy

@KratosMD: Not too bad - I guess...

Sleeping dogs was offered on 360 quite a while back so have that - not overly impressed
Wasn't interested in Outlast but for free I'll try it
Outland passed me by and no nothing about it
Burnout Paradise was good fun and still have it on disc for my PS3

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

stylon

Finally got around to stopping by to see if there are still any PX refugees squatting here?

@crippyd: I know what you mean about the backlog - I honestly think I've got enough games to occupy me for the rest of my life already lol

Definitely a cracking December line-up though. I loved Sleeping Dogs although not sure I would play through it a second time on the One. Outlast was too scary for its own good, I could only play it for short periods as it just got too intense. Burnout Paradise is a great game - kind of like Forza meets destruction derby. As for Outland, like bamozzy I know nothing about that one. I'll still be adding each and every one to my collection though... for a future rainy day

stylon

PSN: stylon

crippyd

@stylon Yay, welcome along! I was playing Alien last night and it is a lovely, scary game, I wonder if Outlast is on a similar scary level or if it is more a traditional horror experience? Like you, I'll be getting all of them so I can fill up my hard drive faster you can never have too many games! I just got Witcher 3 GOTY in the sale last week so that's another that I have yet to start.

crippyd

stylon

@crippyd: I didn't get too far with Alien - in fact I never got as far as actually seeing said Alien in the game so never really witness anything scary in it (really need to go back to it). I can say that Outlast is the scariest game I can remember playing though, much scarier than Condemned for instance.

I truly envy you not having played the Witcher. I rate that as my number one game of all time and I wish I could play through it again with no prior knowledge of it. I must have sunk 160+ hours into that game!

stylon

crippyd

@stylon You really need to get on Alien, it is one of the best games I've played for a very long time, the atmosphere, the aesthetic and the feeling of utter dread and fear make the game something special. The AI of the Alien is great too, it hunts you down and if it sees you hide will come and get you from your hiding place.

I'm a bit conflicted about Witcher, loads of people have bigged it up, so I just hope its one for me. I loved Dark Souls 1-3 but they are really the only RPGs that I've played before, mainly I just shoot stuff in the face or drive really fast.

crippyd

BAMozzy

The Witcher 3 is my favourite game of 2015. Its a fantastic RPG and set the standard by which all RPG's will and should be judged. I am sure it contributed to the reason why Fallout 4 was a disappointment for me - seemed to be nothing more than a last gen style Fallout 3.5 with very cluncky base building.

Alien was an interesting game, although I never completed it. I got to chapter 11 (I think) and realised that the achievements for completing the chapters from 6 (I think) hadn't popped although others had. I didn't want to carry on not getting these and couldn't be bothered to go back and replay so it kind of got forgotten about. Visually its great and mechanically its not bad either. I did feel at times though, some of the deaths were really cheap - like the Alien would be some way down the left so you turn right and then suddenly it's teleported to the room ahead you happen to go into - It can'y have used the ceiling yo get ahead of you for example either. Rare I know but still happens. I also had one or two 'restart from a checkpoint' where the Alien was either in the room or in the ceiling above you on occasions when they weren't before so an instant death.I don'y find games like this scary and at times, I actually get bored of hiding in one cabinet, waiting for the opportunity to jump out only to move about 3feet and need to hide again and repeat for about 10mins or more until you get out of that area and then progress the mission before having to play hide and seek again - its not scary, not tense just a game mechanic - mess it up, restart from the checkpoint and remember to pay more attention to the visual (like goo dripping from a ceiling vent) or Audio clues so don't run.

It does create the iconic look of the original but does take a few liberties with the Synthetics to add more threat to the situation than just a stalking creature. I still think it would have been better if the Alien was a Queen and you had a 'crew' of 10/11 investigating but they gradually 'disappear' only to become an Alien which can be killed (not easily with the limited weaponry and ammo) and face huggers too. Some areas could be inaccessible at the start but you build a trap which kills the Alien and its acid opens up that area (maybe to access some auto-destruct room) although if you set a trap in a 'wrong' area it could kill you or mean you need to sacrifice another crew member to get another alien to be born to open up that area. (you could of course use face hugger blood. The Queen is still the random Stalking un-killable beast that can only be killed by blowing up the ship. The object would be to find out what happened, escape alive with as many crew as possible and blow/crash the ship to prevent her from reaching human civilisation. I think this would offer replayabillity too as well as inject more action. You wouldn't know if that noise was the queen, an Alien or a facehugger so wouldn't know whether you can kill it or run, Even killing it could have consequences because of the acid blood. That would bring more thought into your actions and strategy too - making it feel more tense, more like the movies and keeping with the franchise as a whole. That's my thought on it. Its still a good game and loved the chapter that recreated the film where we saw the crashed ship with the eggs...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

crippyd

@BAMozzy a couple of levels after you stopped playing you get to experience the Face Huggers (a little too close if you're not careful!)

crippyd

BAMozzy

@crippyd: Maybe I ought to go back and play it! I have Doom and Rise of the Tomb Raider (Both PS4) due soon and looking forward to replaying Tomb Raider as that was one of my favourites of 2015 - 2nd only to the Witcher 3. I didn't get all the DLC so this will all be new to me.

With regards to the GwG for December, I won't bother with Outland at all having seen what it is now and Outlast is very unlikely too. Burnout Paradise is a lot of fun so may add that to my download queue but still have the 360 GwG version of Sleeping Dogs. No doubt I will add this too but I can't see me rushing to play any of these.

stylon

@crippyd: Yeah there is so much more to Witcher than Dark Souls which was mostly non-stop action with a smattering of exploration. Witcher is much more about exploration and interacting with the other characters... in fact half the game is probably conversation based and the game moulds around the choices you make and the people you choose to help (or not). If you've played any of the Mass Effect games then Witcher is a lot like a medieval version of those games, even down to the romancing, although being a Witcher Geralt has a lot more romancing opportunities than Commander Shepherd ever had

stylon

crippyd

@stylon I've never played those either. TBH RPG was something that I didn't think would be my bag but I really enjoyed DS, so I thought I'd jump on Witcher and give it a blast.

@BAMozzy I have just got the season pass for RotTR so I'll be going back to that at some point and I also have DOOM but haven't really given that much time either. So many games, so little time!

crippyd

Tasuki

I played Outlast on PS4 and honestly wasn't that impressed. But then again I am not big on horror type games. Burnout Paradise is what I am looking forward too. For some reason I never got around to owning that game. A friend of mine has it and I played it alot when I went over to his place. Kinda wonder what happened with that series.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

crippyd

Any of you guys got an opinion on a large external HDD for my trusty Xbox One? I was thinking somewhere around 3TB capacity just so I can be lazy and have all my games in one place and not be bothered about it filling up quickly, or a bigger one if the prices are sensible. Just a quick Google revealed that a 3TB one will cost about £100 which is about what I paid for my 1TB (if I remember correctly). This one is right up your street @BAMozzy

crippyd

BAMozzy

@crippyd: Personally I have a Seagate 5TB https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Backup-Desktop-External-Driv... Only £115!

Its not totally portable as it requires its own power supply but for the cost, you will be hard pressed to find a better cost per TB. Like I said, the downside to this type though is that they require their own power supply so you will need an additional plug socket available. When you switch on or off the Xbox, the external also switches on or off too. Its not faster than the internal HDD either so you will still get the same loading and install times. I believe Seagate have a newer model now as well.

I have had mine for well over a year and its not let me down. It was great being able to just unplug it and plug it into my new Xbox One S - transferring ALL my games instantly. I use this for storing ALL my games and the internal HDD only has the OS on it.

Seagate are cheap and are not 100% fail proof although they do come with a decent warranty. The newer design may be a bit more expensive (around £130 and more vertical https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/433/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-inch... ) and it maybe worth looking in the January Sales too as these can drop to £100 (£20 per TB). They are no different from the internal - ie 5400rpm drives so read/write times are similar. 7200rpm drives maybe a bit faster but can also be a bit noisier, warmer and more prone to wearing out. SSD's are probably out of the equation if you are looking for pure storage space as these are very expensive per TB (Samsungs 4TB SSD is currently over £1350).

crippyd

@BAMozzy Thanks for the info I'm sure the one I have currently is a Seagate one and it has served me well for about 2 1/2 years so far. I think you recommended it when we were on OXM or Pure Xbox.

crippyd

shonenjump86

It's been a little while since I played on my Xbox One, but I will be back on there once I get Dead Rising 5.

Switch Friend Code- SW-7254-3677-0897
Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Mario Kart 8, Capcom Beat em Collection, SNK Heroines.

PlayStation- Shonen86
Fighting games.

Add me if ya like.

PSN: Shonen86

Tasuki

I finally got around to playing Killer Instinct on the Xbox One over at a friend's house the other night, as I will say I really enjoyed it. It brought back alot of memories. I had alot of hope on that game and when it was announced as a launch title it almost got me to buy an Xbox One, until their DRM, always online and forcing me to buy a paraphernalia that I wasn't going to use ruined that.

But as far as the game goes it's nice to see that it wasn't a quick cash in on the name. Definitely will pick it up when I get a Scorpio.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

BAMozzy

@crippyd: If you wanted a 3TB specifically, then Amazon are selling the Seagate (updated version of the one I have) for £70. Thats cheaper than the £100 one you found - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UNA1ICQ/?tag=ho01f-21 the 4TB is still £110 and £130 for the 5TB but could well be on sale after Christmas.

FullbringIchigo

KratosMD wrote:

Lost Odyssey is available as a free download on both 360 and One until 31 December

REALLY! i am downloading that tonight

EDIT well i WAS going to get it but MS wont let you unless you have your card details saved and NO way am i putting my details on there for a FREE game

what a load of bull

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

crippyd

I've just got myself a good deal on an Elite controller from Argos, until the 31st you can get it for £99.99 with a free game, choice of Horizon 3, Gears 4, Dead Rising 4 and another one that i can't remember. I got Horizon 3 and I also got XCOM2 for Christmas which I've not had the chance to get on yet.

crippyd

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic