Forums

Topic: Official Push Square Xbox Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 2,436

Gamer83

@KratosMD:
The nice thing about these driving games is they're good for a 15-minute play session or a 5-hour marathon.

Gamer83

crippyd

@KratosMD @Gamer83 I play ~Horizon 2 with the intention of just being on for half an hour and it usually ends up a couple of hours at least!

crippyd

MaccaMUFC

I've just bought an XB1 S and after it updated, I went through the settings in Display & sounds > Video out > Advanced video settings > 4K TV details and it's basically saying my TV supports 4K UHD (60Hz) but not in 10-bit at 24Hz, 50Hz or 60Hz and it also says my TV setup does not support HDR10 but I have a Samsung KS8000. I'll show the link to the picture below this paragraph which is just my profile picture on here, sorry I don't know how to post just the picture on these forums.

https://www.pushsquare.com/themes/pushsquare/cimages/original....

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

crippyd

@MaccaMUFC I think if you drop @BAMozzy a message, he might be able to help out as he seems to be quite knowledgeable on the TV front looking at the posts. I have a Sony 4K TV myself but currently don't have a 4K console (I'm saving up for the Scorpio).

crippyd

BAMozzy

@MaccaMUFC: Have you enabled HDMI UHD colour on the TV Picture settings? If you go to the Picture settings - Expert Settings - HDMI UHD Colour and turn on the relevant HDMI input to accept HDMI UHD colour, that should sort out this issue.

Try that first and if that doesn't resolve it, let me know...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

MaccaMUFC

@BAMozzy yeah that sorted the problem out, thanks very much mate. Does that mean now whenever I watch something on Netflix in 4K and/or HDR I'll see a difference? Because I wasn't impressed before, it was like no improvement at all and House of Cards seemed to look very grainy.

Do you know how to display a game in HDR or does it come on automatically with a game that supports HDR like Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4?

PS: for anyone who's buying the XB1 S with the FIFA 17 bundle, just letting you know that you won't be able to play the game until it's out on the 27th. I thought I was going to get to play it a week early and if I couldn't play online then at least I thought I could play the Journey story mode but it turned out I can't even play the game at all until the 27th.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

BAMozzy

@MaccaMUFC: Glad that sorted it out!

4K and or HDR from Netflix is very dependent on your internet speed and IF you can't get the speed required, it will default down to the 'next' best quality. I don't own a Netflix Subscription but I know a number of people are very disappointed by the 'general' quality of its 'high end' range. Marco Polo is one though that crops as being 'good' in terms of quality but the story is 'lacking'. Maybe you will now see an improvement - at least if you have the required internet speeds! Try the UHD Bluray as nothing beats that for PQ.

Gaming is an 'unknown' quantity at the moment. It should work automatically - like movies etc. I would imagine you have a setting in games to switch HDR on or off. The TV should automatically detect HDR and adjust its settings accordingly. However I don't know anyone yet with a HDR game to try it. No doubt we will hear/see more in the upcoming weeks about this. I know a lot of people with this TV so can ask them if there is an issue.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

MaccaMUFC

@BAMozzy I'm with Virgin Media and supposedly have 150 Mbps but as I was downloading FIFA 17 earlier it was under 10 Mbps! I'm thinking of giving them a ring but no doubt they will just say that's what happens at peak times but going from 150 to 10 is a bit dramatic and simply ridiculous.

I would try an UHD dvd but at £20 a pop and the fact I only ever watch a dvd once I wouldn't buy them but if there was ever a Band of Brothers box set in UHD then I'd get it straight away. In fact I've not even seen an UHD dvd in a supermarket or anywhere else for that matter. Do you know of any rental service that rents out UHD DVDs?

I'll be getting FH3 so I'll soon know myself if it'll have an HDR on/off option or if it will display it automatically.

MaccaMUFC

themcnoisy

Some great Backwards Compatibility news;

Lost Odyssey is playable on the X1.

So the actual last gen unofficial final fantasy sequel turns up again on an MS console, great going Microsoft. I'm gonna admit they have done a great job with BC and apparently Halo Reach will get a BC update. That's 2 more reasons to buy an X1 for me.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Gamer83

Having spent just three days with it now, I've sunk in enough hours that I feel very confident in saying that unless Gears 4 or Gravity Rush 2 blow away my expectations, Forza Horizon 3 will be my overall Game of the Year. For me, the mark of a great game is when I sit down with a set amount of time in mind that I'm going to play then I look up and way more time has passed than I expected but I couldn't pull away. Every time I play FH 3, it turns into a marathon session.

Gamer83

MaccaMUFC

@BAMozzy - Do you know if HDR works in game mode? I'm playing FH3 and I've just changed my picture mode from Natural to Game mode and noticed that filter thing you mentioned in a post somewhere before, it's gone, it looked quite dark before but since switching to Game mode the colours and brightness now looks more vivid and the way it should be. Just wondering if this had anything to do with HDR or not?

Could you please tell me if you have altered your Sharpness, Smart LED and Dynamic Contrast settings in Game mode or if you left everything has it is since switching to game mode? I know our KS8000s won't be the same with the same settings and our preferences will differ but I'm just trying to get the best possible picture for game mode and whenever I watch 4K/HDR on Netflix and Amazon.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

JaxonH

Lost Odyssey is out for BC!!!

Finally... gosh dang it's been a long time coming. I can finally play this 7th gen classic. I bought it like 8 months ago in anticipation of BC compatibility. And it just paid off.

So far, loving it. Lost Odyssey [360] and The Last Story [Wii]. The 2 Sakaguchi gems that no one has played. Forget Final Fantasy, go play one of these two games. These are the real modern Final Fantasy classics.

@Gamer83
Forza Horizon 3 is a masterpiece. The greatest arcade racer of all time. At least, certainly of the ones I've played before. I thought the same thing of Forza Horizon 2 but this game is just perfect. Even the Kinect integration is actually useful. "Anna, what should I do next". Anna sets destination route for you. So awesome.

I bought the $35 expansion, and the car pass and the treasure map. I want it all- money, fast cars, diamond rings, DLC and Car packs, shoot every **** thing

Btw, Target, right now. Forza Horizon 3 digital for $19.99 (price mistake). Add VIP car pass for $10 more. Use REDcard for 5% off ($28 and change after tax and for both)

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

PSN: jaxonholden

andreoni79

@JaxonH: I did play Lost Odissey and I'm currently playing The Last Story!!! ;P
I loved Eternal Sonata and Resonance of Fate too. Did you play Magna Carta 2 and The Last Remnant? Are they any good?

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

JaxonH

@andreoni79:
Negative, but I've been very curious to see what they're like.

I want Tales of Vesperia and Blue Dragon to drop on BC though.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

PSN: jaxonholden

BAMozzy

@MaccaMUFC: My settings for game mode are as follows

Backlight - 8 (I play in the dark or at least dimly lit room but you can adjust this to suit your taste and environment)
Brightness - 45
Contrast - 100
Sharpness - 10
Colour - 50
Tint - G50/T50
Smart LED - Low
HDMI Black level - Auto
Dynamic Contrast - Low
Colour Tone - Standard
Gamma - 0
Colour Space - Native

Games are made with a digital colour palette - they are not using a camera to capture the way light reacts to objects for its colour. I have always used 'game-mode' because most 'viewing' modes have a 'filter' look which may work well for live-action but I don't like it for games. As a result I am used to seeing games with the more 'vivid' colour palette. Its helped more on this TV because the blacks are now much darker than 'standard' TV's and this makes colours pop more. In essence it is a result of HDR but only from the point of view that the TV has 10bit Colour as well as a wider colour gamut and the much higher contrast ratio which helps to give a better and more vivid colour. As someone who has always used game mode, the look isn't that different to me - apart from the benefits of a higher quality TV than my previous of course but its the same benefits I see in watching films etc.

HDR, when active, will automatically raise the backlight to 20 and may well change the Smart LED to High. Native is essential to getting the Wide Colour Gamut too. If you had Samsungs dedicated HDR Bluray, it would have automatically turned on the HDMI UHD Colour too but the XB1s (and maybe the PS4 Pro) needs to have this turned on manually to receive 4k HDR.

Anyway hope this helps. These settings should work for you too as the only variation in panels is usually around the 'calibration' of colour and these settings are generally universal but we all view things slightly differently.

MaccaMUFC

@BAMozzy - Thanks that's pretty much the same as mine, so does Game mode support HDR? I only know that Standard and Movie modes do. What's weird is when I'm just comparing Natural mode to Game mode while playing FH3, the little message on the top left of the screen says that HDR is displaying even when in Natural mode and with the HDMI UHD Colour turned off. I also can't really see the difference when HDR is on and my eye sight is perfectly fine.

MaccaMUFC

BAMozzy

@MaccaMUFC: Game mode does support HDR. Samsung confirmed this via their official twitter around the time of the XB1s release and has since been tested by a number of different websites to confirm this. I personally don't have a XB1s or any HDR games yet to test it myself though. Unless we get a HDR patch for a PS4 game before 10th November, the first opportunity I see will be with the PS4 Pro to test it myself.

I assume that games will have the opportunity to turn HDR on or off. With it on though, it should bump the backlight right up and display the wider colour gamut. It has worked this way for me via USB sources. There is certainly a noticeable difference on that. You can adjust the settings for HDR sources too and it will remember them. If you turned the Backlight down etc whilst watching HDR, it won't jump up to the 20 Max next time

Tasuki

Ok please forgive this noob question but it's been awhile since I used my 360 and I have quit a few of Free with Gold games to download. Long story short it's taking me awhile to download them all so is there a sleep mode that I can put the 360 in so that I can download these games while I am asleep or at work like I do with the PS4?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

BAMozzy

@Tasuki: I don't think so. I think that feature only came with the latest generation of consoles but I could be wrong as it's a feature that I don't or wouldn't use and/or could have been added in recent years as an update. I am fairly certain though it isn't an option but can't say 100% that it's not possible.
You could leave the Xbox on overnight - It's probably safer than leaving it on whilst out. Or you could switch it on when you get home from work and play on other consoles whilst waiting of course. I don't think it has background downloading IF you are playing games online. If memory serves, if you play online, downloads are paused. This is a 10yr old console after all...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic