Forums

Topic: Official Push Square Xbox Thread

Posts 1,341 to 1,360 of 2,436

Ryall

@nessisonett You’re not unusual. Most people don’t like most games and everyone’s tastes are different. What matters is whether the next generation gives you a better experience with the type of games you like to play.

Ryall

BAMozzy

I can't say I was impressed or interested in a lot of the games revealed - not to say I won't be at a later date, but it takes more than a 'trailer' to hook me in. One of the big complaints about MS this last gen has been games and you cannot deny that they have Games, Games, Games coming.

However, without E3 and all the press talking to Devs, getting some hands on and/or more information on the show floor, these 'trailers', inc those from the earlier MS showcase, just flew by without having time or enough information to land, to stick in the mind, to excite. At E3, the press briefing gives you a lot of trailers, but then there are devs talking about their games to press after, game-play trailers and first impressions on the ground floor etc - all whilst you are waiting for the 'next' press release...

I would prefer a show with 6-8 games shown in depth, more than just 1min trailer and then the next 1min trailer and then the next. A chance to get to see a 'slice' of gameplay, some actual context behind the story etc. However, if MS had done so, maybe people would still be saying they have no games...

I will just leave this hear though:-
Microsoft's GM of Xbox Games Marketing Aaron Greenberg has confirmed today that the Xbox Series X will have over 60 brand-new launch titles, and over 40 older titles that have been "Optimized for Xbox Series X."

I don't care if a lot of those '60' are on current gen, I want to play them at the highest visual quality with the best performance and lowest input lag. It will have 'generational' console exclusives too. I bought a Pro and an X despite not having 'ANY' software that I couldn't play on my PS4/XB1 too

I can't say all the games appealed, some left me wanting to know more and some I can't even remember now they didn't grab me enough, but at least there is a lot of variety and potential. The only PS5 game that I would want to play at launch is Horizon 2, R&C looked good too but I can wait for that so what incentive do I have to pre-order PS5 when I can wait until H2 comes along? It maybe different for others but with games like STALKER2, Scorn etc as well as upgrades to games in my Library and games I will be looking to buy (Cyberpunk, AC:Valhalla), its looking much more likely that I will pre-order Series X and pick up the PS5 in 2021 sometime - I can't get 'both' on day 1...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Th3solution

@nessisonett “I couldn’t really give a rat’s arse about Horizon 2 due to my complete apathy about the first game and Ratchet & Clank is just OK, I guess?”

😧 You monster.

@BAMozzy I would assume that there will be PS5 optimization for the late gen third party (and first party) games as well. So Cyberpunk, AC Valhalla, etc will most likely play at superior specs there too. What I’m pretty sure PS5 won’t have though is 60 new launch games. That is an awful lot. What could all those be? They’ve only talked about, what - 10-12 of those?

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution The first couple of hours of Horizon were incredible but the minute I hit the open world, it completely fell apart. Just turned into a bland, by the numbers Ubisoft clone. It even had towers! Ratchet and Clank 2016 was pretty good but it’s definitely not a game I would have paid for. Definitely glad it was on Plus.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett Heh, I feel the complete opposite. The first few hours were boring as heck. Typical cinematic action Playstation exclusive gameplay. Then the game opens up, and it turns into this badass open world robot hunting RPG.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I think this is why I loved God of War, the areas were open enough without it feeling like a drag to actually traverse the world. There was also checklists for each area without explicitly telling you where the collectibles were. I absolutely hate this modern design philosophy of ‘go to this marker to find something’, it takes any actual exploration out of a game with a massive map. Imagine if the original Zelda had a big compass at the top telling you where each dungeon was, it would completely take away from the experience. Skyrim did it right, the markers only appear after you find the area, encouraging exploration.

BAMozzy

@Th3solution Of course Sony's PS5 will get some upgraded games too but as it stands right now, the only game that I would really want to play as soon as it releases is Horizon 2. Therefore I can wait until closer until that releases until I buy my PS5. I already have games like Cyberpunk pre-ordered on Xbox and numerous games confirmed to be getting a 'free' upgrade - some of those '40' games - as well as upgrades to my Xbox Elite controllers to reduce input lag further so from my perspective, right now it make more sense to upgrade to Series X first and wait until Horizon 2 (or raise the funds sooner) to upgrade to PS5. Hopefully by then, I won't have to buy that white version too.

I don't know what '60+' games will release at launch myself but I expect a few will appeal too. Even if they don't, combined with the games I have on Xbox, games I will have by the end of the year, it makes more sense to me to upgrade to Series X first - unless Sony has something up its sleeves to convince me otherwise. I am even tempted by Game Pass (I don't subscribe yet) and some of the games I may not be 'tempted' to buy at launch, I could download and play.

Each to their own of course and it may make sense for others to upgrade to PS5 first instead. They may own the 3rd party games like Cyberpunk on PS4 by that point and may look to Xbox as a secondary option or maybe have a PC too for gaming. Some games they maybe happy to wait for, whether that's to play on an Xbox at a later date or wait until some come to PS5 much like I am OK to wait to play R&C but in my current situation and how I perceive the next 6months (or so) turning out, for me, upgrading to Series X first makes most sense...

No doubt Sony will have some big games coming too from both 3rd and first party devs but based on the ones 'announced' so far, there is more that caught my eye on Xbox. A lot of Sony's studio's have released big games in recent years so they perhaps don't have something ready to share right now and so I can get a PS5 at a later date to play H2, R&C and whatever comes next from ND, SP, Sony Santa Monica, Sony Bend etc

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Ralizah

@nessisonett I mean, I get it. The reason I love BotW so much is because of how thoroughly it flouts traditional open world game design. HZD IS very Ubisoft. What I will say is this: the setting itself is well-realized, the Far Cry 3-esque gameplay loop is still addictive and fun as hell, but what really helps it to hold together is the unique, thrilling combat encounters, and how well the open world gameplay helps to build the robot battling combat via upgrades, crafting, etc.

What I like is generally being left alone to explore and build my character, instead of being slowly guided from checkpoint to checkpoint, setpiece-to-setpiece, which is how TLOU is, and how HZD is for its first few hours. It's miserable.

Th3solution

@Ralizah @nessisonett I’ll be interested to see what you think of Ghost of Tsushima since it takes the open world formulae and tries to balance the “open exploration at your own pace with minimal hand holding” and the “this is frustrating because I don’t know where I’m supposed to go to find this stuff and I’m just aimlessly wandering” with its coy system of following nature. It’s a neat trick and might satisfy both camps — those who want guidance and those who want freedom and discovery.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

themcnoisy

I really liked the Halo presentation. Great guns and I thought it looked decent! Not mind blowing new gen - but for me was a solid looking game and it's piqued my interest a tad.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I was just thinking that! Well said and probably more coherent then I could ever put it lol.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@KratosMD It’s Bloober Team who did Layers of Fear, I really have high hopes. It also has Akira Yamaoka doing the soundtrack so I’m seriously excited.

JohnnyShoulder

@Ryall I know MS have since confirmed that Halo was running on a PC because of the pandemic. Might explain all the pop in and some of the dodgy textures, even watching the 4K footage.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

phil_j

The Medium was the one game that looked really good. Hopefully that makes it to Ps5 at some point. How is Layers of Fear? its on sale at the moment I think. Fancy a scary survival horror.

Loved Fable back on 360, but cgi trailer, new developers, who have only ever done Forza I believe, and the mmo rumours completely discount that for now.

On that note, I can't believe after the feedback from their last show they went with a load of cgi trailers again.

phil_j

BAMozzy

I think that MS are treating these as they would an E3 or Gamescom presentation. By that, I mean announce as many games as you can with 'little' if any actual game-play. However, unlike E3/Gamescom, you are not getting all those 'press' shows where they sit down with the Devs and talk more in depth about their games, have people talking about 'hands on' with the games on the show floor or behind closed doors etc.

If you look back at E3 for the past few years, MS have 'revealed' LOTS of games with very little 'in-depth' look - at most 1-2mins trailers with maybe 1 or 2 games having any actual game-play. The biggest criticism in recent years has been a lack of games and so it seems they have focussed on quantity, showing as much as they are willing to share and fit in to an hours run time. If you have 30 games in an hour for example, that gives each around 2mins on average. Lets not forget this is also the 2nd 'Games' Showcase too and there are still games they have not revealed yet.

Personally, I would have preferred them to show 6-9 games with each getting at least 5-10mins to show and/or talk about their game with actual Series X game-play. Although MS will tell you that ALL the games are running on an MS based platform and Xbox itself isn't 'just' the console anymore but their entire gaming ecosystem. I think that would have been better, but I also wonder if people would still say Xbox has no games??

I just hope that we will actually get more video's like the Medium one above in the coming weeks. In some ways Covid may well have had an impact but I don't think they can excuse a lack of game-play when they can make CGi trailers instead...

Ralizah

@Th3solution How did I miss this post?

Anyway, yeah, I'm looking forward to eventually playing Tsushima. I guess my bigger concern with that game is that there won't really be anything worthwhile to find or interact with in the open world of that game. The impression I got is that it was 90% enemy camps and fox dens.

I do like the lack of map icons, though.

Link41x

World of Warcraft has been rated for the Xbox Series X in Brazil. After 16 years, is it actually coming to consoles finally?

PSN ID: Linkx41

PSN: Linkx41

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic