Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,461 to 4,480 of 7,480

crimsontadpoles

SMT IV was where I started with the series. I'm not so sure if it's such a good place to start though.

Some of my initial awkwardness with the Shin Megami series was because I didn't know what to expect. Also, the early part of SMT IV is rather different to the rest of the game. Together, it made things quite jarring when the game mixed things up. I was really liking the Medieval world aspects and the more traditional dungeon crawling that the early game had. But then it all changed.

It's a game that I need to replay. I'd enjoy a second playthrough a lot more now I know what I'm dealing with.

HallowMoonshadow

I've never wanted such useless tat before in my life @Ralizah

An Amala drum AND a cache cube? Not to mention that steelbook looks good!

I hope you get your hands on it should it not be too outrageously expensive!

Lol if you want I'll start beating the SMT V to PS4/5 drum @nessisonett

Smt III Nocturne/Lucufer's call is very traditional in it's design @crimsontadpoles all the way through of various the various dungeons, demons to recruit and so on.

The story aspect is a bit on the lighter side for the most part with it focusing more on the characters and the atmosphere in particular is a highlight to me. There's some good design throughout.

Meguro's soundtrack is fairly varied (Though he always finds a way to get a guitar in there lol)

Quite a lot of the tracks that I particularly like are more late game/spoilery though so I won't link them

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@crimsontadpoles It was my first SMT title as well. The transition from an ostensibly medieval setting to post-apocalyptic, cyberpunk Tokyo was a really cool transition, IMO, and I'm not sure if I would have gotten the full effect if I'd played earlier games and known what to expect.

Thematically and tonally, it's also meant to be a sort of 'back to basics' title, something that that that shares associations with the original game.

@nessisonett I mean, as a primarily handheld gamer, I get wanting it on Switch. I do. I'd far prefer a Switch version of P5. But, at the end of the day, no one system gets everything, and I'm loyal to software as opposed to any particular manufacturer. It's why I am, and have been, an owner of multiple consoles every generation going back as far as I can remember.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

Look at the review scores for games with Shin Megami Tensei in the title. Someone's salty.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

https://nintendoeverything.com/shin-megami-tensei-iii-nocturn...

More details on Nocturne.

– Based on Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax Chronicle Edition, which features Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV from the Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha series as a replacement for Dante from the Devil May Cry series, who appeared as a guest character in Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax
– Improved graphics and gameplay
– Voiced event scenes (which can be switched on or off)
– “Normal” and “Hard” difficulty settings
– “Merciful” difficulty setting as free downloadable content

So, mostly what we could already deduce from the trailer.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Merciful difficulty added for filthy casuals who can’t handle the pain

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Haruki_NLI

Man 2020 is not the year to be a Switch owner. DQ11S is on other systems.

All the exclusives it had from external developers are jumping ship, what it IS getting isnt very exciting, and the first party lineup is non-existent.

Wouldnt be shocked to see Platinum wrangle Astral Chain out, and No More Heroes 3 wont be exclusive forever.

Your system can be setting the world on fire but the second a shinier box from the other bigger two brands appears, you can have 100m units and theyll just bail.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@Haruki_NLI Sony has lost a LOT of previously exclusive properties this gen, too, like Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts, and the Final Fantasy series. Third party stuff will almost never stay fully exclusive.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Haruki_NLI Lmao, I’ve been waiting for ages holding off on Dragon Quest because I had a feeling that version would jump over. I’m so glad I did, it’s a lovely looking game and I’d rather make use of my Pro while I can.

Haruki_NLI

@nessisonett Well good news. Turns out it's literally the Switch version. Visuals and all.

nessisonett

@Haruki_NLI Well that’s utterly baffling. I really have no words for that.

Haruki_NLI

@nessisonett Yeah er...yep I got nothing.

So PC and PS4 can already buy DQXI that looks better, but to get the extra content they need to pay AGAIN for a worse looking version.

Did Square see what Atlus managed to pull with Persona 5 or something and tried to one up it? Like...at this point just buy that version on Switch where it's not underperforming visually.

nessisonett

@Haruki_NLI I have to say, that’s the strangest decision I think I’ve ever seen in the gaming industry. At least Persona 5 was just a director’s cut, like they did with 3 FES and all those Squeenix International/Final Mix versions. This would be like porting the DS version of Ni No Kuni to PS4 instead of the PS3 version, because reasons.

Ralizah

@nessisonett The differences between DQXI/DQXI S aren't nearly as drastic as the differences between NnK DS/NnK PS3. It's just some cuts to draw distance, lighting, and environmental detail.

nessisonett

@Ralizah Yeah, it’s more along the senses that I’ve never seen a technically inferior version being ported over without a touch up before. I’m just absolutely baffled at the decision.

Ralizah

@nessisonett It'll have a resolution boost. It'll be like playing a docked Switch game at 1080p instead of 720p. But really, the game looks great on my TV. The drop from PC max settings and 60fps to the PS4 version is far more jarring, IMO, and you can play this version without your ears bleeding.

People did say they wanted DQXI S content to lose Nintendo exclusivity, and, well... it did.

The version to keep your eye on if it really bugs you is the PC release and the inevitable high-res texture mod they'll use to try and fix their ported Switch game.

nessisonett

@Ralizah I actually didn’t know it was also coming to PC. Looks like that’ll be the version I’ll be getting then, someone will inevitably merge the two versions.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic