Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,401 to 4,420 of 7,477

nessisonett

@Ralizah Yeah, Paper Mario does look rather rubbish, definitely not a full price purchase. I have no words for Pokemon-wannabe #9. I wonder if Nintendo actually have any real announcements in the works, if E3 was going ahead then they would have been screwed because the future looks absolutely barren.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

What was wrong with Origami King @Ralizah?

You sounded a little more optimistic with some of the recent news about it... I think? 😅

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The people playing the game in the stream went through multiple battles, and I don't even remember seeing anything attack Mario until the boss battle.

And the boss battle itself was also disappointing. It's a pack of colored pencils. They make some bad stationary-related puns, you do some weird mini-game to attack the boss, and then repeat this same procedure over and over. The boss barely damages Mario itself.

The gameplay is running around finding toads hidden everywhere. Dozens and dozens of toads.

My nephew is excited for it, so I'm still getting it, but I'm going to tear this game a new one in my review if it stays this bad.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

@crimsontadpoles It literally looked like a Sword and Shield bootleg. Battles make no sense. Your monsters battle each-other, and you play a kid who runs around throwing what look like frisbees at the monster.

WF has made some of my favorite games. Words cannot express my disappointment.

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The people playing the game in the stream went through multiple battles, and I don't even remember seeing anything attack Mario until the boss battle.

And the boss battle itself was also disappointing. It's a pack of colored pencils. They make some bad stationary-related puns, you do some weird mini-game to attack the boss, and then repeat this same procedure over and over. The boss barely damages Mario itself.

The gameplay is running around finding toads hidden everywhere. Dozens and dozens of toads.

My nephew is excited for it, so I'm still getting it, but I'm going to tear this game a new one in my review if it stays this bad.

... Oooof.

I'll have to give it a look myself but that doesn't sound particularly great @Ralizah. I know people were rather displeased about Sticker Star and Colour Splash and hoping this paper Mario would be better.

I really do hope it's better for you all then what the stream seemed to show

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Paper Mario fans are a desperate lot. The series has gotten so bad that seeing a toad with a hat or a mustache with an actual name becomes an occasion for excitement.

@KratosMD lol

I have seen them, but I guess I expected... more mechanics? SOME challenge? SOMETHING?

I don't object to the lack of XP or the stationary bosses on principle. I think the bosses fit the theme, and I actually rather like that rubber band monster.

But that extended boss battle footage was NOT good.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I’m so sick of Nintendo’s mentality that boss battles need to be a gimmick that takes 3 uses to kill. It’s been that way in Mario and Zelda games since at least the N64 days and with BotW changing that, I thought the days were over. Nope, here comes Paper Mario to trod all over the grave of its series with horrible, gimmicky minigame boss fights.

Haruki_NLI

Intelligent Systems hasnt exactly been known for making their existing and loved franchises into modern hits, lets just say that.

With the exception of Awakening, and Three Houses that was mostly Koei Tecmo....yeah not great.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

nessisonett

@Haruki_NLI I want Advance Wars!!

Haruki_NLI

@nessisonett I wouldn't trust em with it.

Looking at their work since 2010 it's eesh.

Pushmo, Crashmo, FE Awakening, Sticker Star, Game and Wario, Pushmo World, Code Name STEAM, Stretchmo, FE Fates, Colour Splash, FE Heroes, FE Echoes, WarioWare Gold and Three Houses.

So you have some small puzzle games, two WarioWare games, one of which is an anthology of sorts, a few commerical and critical duds in Code Name Steam and FE Fates, a mobile game, the two most reviled Paper Mario titles, and a Fire Emblem mostly developed by someone else.

Their track record this decade aint hot.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

nessisonett

@Haruki_NLI I quite like the Pushmo games and Awakening’s my favourite FE but yeah, the rest of that isn’t too great looking. It’s a shame, IntSys were brilliant in the 00s, releasing hit after hit and a few of my favourite games on Cube and Wii. WarioWare on Cube’s tortoise stacking mode is still my favourite Nintendo party game, hands down.

Ralizah

I'll never understand why Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. failed. It can be a bit overly difficult at times, but I still think it's one of the freshest and most interesting games to come out of that developer.

That reminds me: I bought an unopened copy of WarioWare Gold off of a friend. I really need to get around to it some time. The demo was extremely fun.

@Haruki_NLI I won't defend the Fates games on an artistic level, but in what way were they commercial duds? My understanding is that they sold fairly well.

@nessisonett Days of Ruin really was a fantastic game. Replayed it... last year? Spent 80 hours or so on it. The mature tone and post-apocalyptic plot were pretty exceptional at the time it released (not so much since then, since you can't walk two steps without tripping over another post-apocalyptic piece of media)

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah You mean you won’t defend a game boobier than Senran Kagura with vaguely defended incest? Safe to say I was rather disappointed with Fates too 😂😂

Ralizah

@nessisonett LOL

I actually liked Camilla's design. Between the Jessica Rabbit-esque sex appeal, the wyvern, and her big axe, she reminded me of something out of Heavy Metal magazine. But the gross incest stuff (I don't care if they're not blood-related; if they're raised as siblings, they're siblings; Trails in the Sky does the same thing, and I hate it), having to choose between Birthright's forgettable writing and Conquest's insanely dumb plot, the censorship controversy, the really stupid way they shoehorned in time-traveling children, the generic characters, etc. just ruined those games for me

nessisonett

@Ralizah Oh man, Revelations is honestly even worse. It’s the easiest strategy game I’ve ever played because the family units are crazy OP and they chuck them at you. The plot pulls some incest justification out its ass too. I can’t believe it came straight after Awakening because that game is one of my most played games of all time. Now that’s a great game, even with the many faults. I do love the matchmaking though, it felt strangely satisfying to shove people together and see what pairs worked and which ones were just weird. Now kiss each other and make me child soldiers.

Untitled

Edited on by nessisonett

Ralizah

@nessisonett It... worked for Awakening, but I'm really happy Three Houses abandoned Waifu Emblem and became more of a Trails of Cold Steel-esque experience.

I actually owned the complete cartridge (before selling it) and still didn't bother with Revelations because of how done I was with that iteration after Conquest. I have a friend who is a big Emblem fan who told me all about how its plot is somehow even dumber than Conquest's, so I feel like I made the right choice just ignoring it.

I will say, though, playing Conquest on Classic/Hard was... something. I've never died so many times in a game in my life, lol.

nessisonett

@Ralizah Conquest on Lunatic is one of the hardest things I’ve ever played, hands down. Binding Blade and Thracia 776 though, now they’re unfair rather than just being difficult. The enemy reinforcements attack the turn they appear, which is just nasty. Thracia also has fog of war, which was really bad in Advance Wars but with the permadeath, it’s properly mean.

I can see why Waifu Emblem was abandoned to be honest, child units don’t make sense outside Awakening’s plot. Part of me doesn’t really care about Three Houses’ DLC though, they would normally be working on a new game at this point. I expect to see the next one being largely identical to 3H though, that was the problem with Awakening being so successful, they just copied loads of it en masse for Fates.

Octane

@KratosMD I remember in the early Wii U days, I went back through all my games, and even some of the GameCube codes still worked on Club Nintendo. The hardware itself also came with a ton of points. So I managed to nab quite a few items in its last couple of years. On Switch I don't even bother anymore, because the points always seem to expire before I use them.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic