Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,361 to 4,380 of 7,477

Haruki_NLI

1TB SD Card update: Day 3 of downloading things while at work or overnight.

My god, so much stuff. A lot of digital games and updates to get sorted. Nearly done though. Already below 450GB remaining.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

RR529

@nessisonett, in regards to the photo you posted on the last page, it doesn't have bootleg Joy-Con, they just accidentally used a mirrored image of a Switch somehow.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

@RR529 Yeah, it was up on NLife a couple of hours after the presentation. That solves that mystery 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

So, Curse of the Moon 2 comes out REALLY soon, and then they drop a trailer for Azure Striker Gunvolt 3

Wonder if Inti Creates will announce a Blaster Master Zero 3 soon...

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

crimsontadpoles

Pokemon Sword and Shield players can now get a free shiny Zeraora through the mobile version of the Pokemon Home app. It's available to all players, even those that don't have the expansion pass and didn't participate in the recent raids. It does require the mobile app though, and it also requires a pokemon to be deposited or withdrawn from Home for the gift to be available.

Zeraora is an electric type mythical pokemon, and isn't usually available through normal gameplay.

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

Ralizah

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2020/06/30/a-new-crease-...

Solid read on the new Paper Mario. This part particularly stood out to me:

These bosses aren’t just waiting in one location for Mario to find them. Instead, they’re scattered around the world. That creates a striking visual, as players can see the streamers far in the distance, while also giving them a hint as to where their next challenge lies. One of the biggest departures with The Origami King is that the story isn’t chapter-focused as past games have been. Instead, players can travel from region to region seamlessly in an open-world setup.

That explains the big maps and Wind Waker-y looking sailing.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

Doing another Ocarina of Time Randomiser run, this time with every sound effect and piece of music randomised too. Hilariously the Fairy Fountain theme has been replaced by the Goron City music and Hyrule Field has the Shadow Temple music, making my experience rather different than normal. I got extremely lucky and found bombs, boomerang and slingshot in my first run around as child Link so that’ll open up almost every chest and make the dungeons easy as a child. Already managed to pull off some great tricks, finally got the Kak Tower jump 100% down and managed to skip the Kak Gate as well.

Edited on by nessisonett

Ralizah

Hopefully with other companies porting Falcom games to the Switch, XSEED will be incentivized to put Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2, and the various Ys games they've published, on the system.

Also, just preloaded Paper Mario: The Origami King on my system. Let's-a-go!

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Ys Origin was brilliant on Vita, I can’t remember the last time I felt motivated to play through the same game 3 times with different characters. It probably helps that I’d just played Ys 1&2 and so the plot was pretty interesting too. I really hope Falcom can bring more of their games to Switch, the rights situation is extremely annoying.

Ralizah

@nessisonett I'm not terribly worried about future releases unless these ports bomb, considering NIS seems to have taken hold of their biggest properties. And the sales of Disgaea 5 and Ys VIII seem to have convinced them that Nintendo Switch is their new home turf.

But yeah, Marvelous isn't a tiny company; hopefully they can be convinced to port a few of these games onto the Switch. It really sucks only having the back half of the Cold Steel saga on this device, and none of the Trails in the Sky games. None of these ports should be too difficult to develop and release.

Hell, ports Trails in the Sky to PS4 while you're at it. How hard could it possibly be to put a decades-old game that already has an HD Steam conversion on modern consoles?

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah The Trails in the Sky (holy crap, don’t make that an acronym) Steam port is an odd duck. It still uses the original art and battle style so doesn’t have Evo’s improvements. You can patch the JP voices in but it wouldn’t be possible on PS4 or Switch. I’d obviously prefer a translation of the Evo version but I don’t think that would be economically viable. Then Zero and Ao aren’t even translated at all, it’s really quite strange considering they all tie into a wider narrative.

Ralizah

@nessisonett Now you know why I always say "Trails in the Sky" instead of shortening it.

I think that lack of consideration for their Western fanbase is part of what puts me off about Trails overall. Like... it should be a priority to bring over the Crossbell games in some form, considering they apparently have important story connections to later, localized games. And despite them ostensibly considering PS4 their new home base, they still haven't bothered porting over Trails in the Sky.

Falcom gives me the impression of a company that only really cares about its niche of hardcore fans in Asia. It's one of the oldest developers in the industry, so it blows my mind that they've never tried to go bigger with their releases.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@KratosMD It’s not hard to see why Sky fans are absolutely livid with the direction Falcom are taking. The 2 leads of Sky only get the conclusion of their story in Ao, which still hasn’t been localised. Cold Steel 3 and 4 were always going to be localised, the first two games were after all. I reckon Zero/Ao weren’t localised because it was late in the PSP’s lifespan and the console just wasn’t as big in the West as it was in Japan.

Ralizah

@KratosMD It's really not unfair. This is literally one of the most seasoned developers in the industry, yet they're utterly risk-averse and, in interviews, still seem amazed that Western audiences even play their games. Even tiny Western indies composed of three person teams can usually manage to develop their games for multiple platforms and/or occasionally port older games to newer systems. Moreover, they're perfectly capable of porting their older games to newer hardware, as ports of games like Ys VIII, Memories of Celceta, the first two Trails of Cold Steel games, etc. can attest.

I'm not insulting them when I say they really only care about a tiny segment of hardcore Falcom fans in asia: that's just how they are. And, because of this, they've become rather insular in a variety of ways.

Anyway, it wouldn't be as big of a deal for something like Ys games, which are mostly disconnected one-shots with small references to previous games, but when you have this big, interconnected fantasy epic that relies on player familiarity with previous adventures, it's bad form for this gigantic chunk of the property to remain unlocalized for extended periods of time in some of the biggest gaming markets on Earth.

And, personally, if the company is utterly disinterested in my ability to become invested in the property and to easily access it on modern hardware, then, frankly, it becomes harder for me to want to invest my own time and money in their property. shrug Persona wouldn't be anywhere near where it is in terms of popularity in the West if Atlus treated their games in a similar manner. Imagine Persona 5, but to get the most out of it, you really need to have played all four previous games, but those aren't available on modern devices, and Persona 3 and 4 aren't even localized in English, so only hardcore Atlus nerds really have access to them. You think there would be millions of people over here clamoring for Persona 6? I don't.

If anything, Falcom's fanbase has only just recently started to grow in the West since companies like NIS and XSeed have started to expose their games to wider audiences.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@KratosMD At the very least, Sky SC absolutely sets up Cold Steel, and I know that despite not having played that arc yet. However, you would need to play FC first in order to experience that fully. The 3rd might not contribute much in its overall plot but the doors provide crucial information about Olivier and Osborne as well as setting up Crossbell, which in turn ties in with Erebonia. I couldn’t imagine just choosing certain games to play, the Trails series excels at slow world building through thousands and thousands of lines of dialogue across several games.

HallowMoonshadow

-Watches the conversation unfold wistfully... as her copy of Cold Steel hasn't even been dispatched yet and she's getting a bit antsy- 😔

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I had to wait nearly an extra week for my copy of FFVII Remake to arrive. With all of the crying about peoples' copies being canceled or indefinitely delayed due to coronavirus-related issues, I was rather nervous.

HallowMoonshadow

Lol this is how they get me to convert to digital formats isn't it @Ralizah? 😅

I think I recall that regarding your FFVII remake... Was it a fancy collector's Edition?

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I'm seriously curious about the possibility of Sony shipping the disc-based PS5 to stores in lower quantities in order to push people toward the cheaper, all-digital version. There has to be a MASSIVE incentive to using the suck cost of digital purchases to keep someone locked in an ecosystem.

Yeah, it was the Deluxe Edition. They're easy-ish to come by now, I guess, but at launch people were struggling to obtain even normal copies of the game. It's rather funny how manufacturing and shipments have returned to relative normalcy in the States, despite the pandemic being worse than ever right now.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic