Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,301 to 4,320 of 7,480

Ralizah

@nessisonett I mained long hair when I was playing it on PC. For his Nintendo Switch debut, I decided to finally visit a barber. I think he looks quite fetching. I thought about trimming the beard as well, but decided to keep it.

I can't believe I listened to the people telling me this game looks like hell on a TV. It looks great in both modes! Granted, the gulf between undocked and PC Ultra is a bit wide, but, on its own terms, it looks nice. On the TV, it's actually rather fetching.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Yeah, I played Witcher 3 on PC Ultra my first time and even PS4 Pro looks like a major step down. It doesn’t bother me too much if the graphics are a bit worse because the game itself is just brilliant and it’s good more people get exposed to it on Switch.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett The framerate difference is more noticeable, IMO.

Honestly, I'm just so impressed with the Switch port of The Witcher.

LMAO go back even a couple of years and tell people that THIS would be running on what amounts to a budget gaming tablet.

I can't even. This is so pretty. Even docked mode (except, I discovered, when it's raining in Skellige; all the particle effects and whatnot briefly turn this gorgeous port into a PS2 demake. But it quickly recovers)

nessisonett

@Ralizah Does the frame rate still tank in Novigrad when it rains? IIRC that was one of the big problems with the PS4 port.

RogerRoger

Blimey, okay... I think the phrase "lighting the blue touchpaper" comes to mind here; I had no idea my passing observations yesterday would spark such a debate!

I want to single out @KratosMD and thank him for his initial reply. As somebody who will similarly leap to the defence of some maligned, misunderstood games, I appreciate the effort to help my partner and I find the fun in Pokémon Shield (which I'm sure exists; apologies if I came across as dismissive or derisive when describing our experience with its opening hour).

As I said, my partner and I have both played Pokémon games before, and not just in passing; I even traded items with a friend so that I could clear the Elite Four and take on the Champion in my copy of SoulSilver, although I stopped short of then playing through the Kanto Region because I felt like eight gyms and a championship had been enough for me. I just think I'm somebody for whom the gameplay loop (which must be addictive to the majority, of course) quickly became repetitive and disinteresting. I formed attachments with the Pokémon I caught, will remember them for a long time (good ol' Echo) and it was sweet and everything, but I've never really felt the need to play any other Pokémon game since; once was enough.

I think you're right. I think the expectation of what Pokémon could and perhaps should be on a "big and proper console" was always gonna weigh down whatever came first, fairly or otherwise. We were certainly expecting something a bit less laborious in the opening stages, but Shield seemed to stick to its traditional guns a little too firmly, in every way. I respect that to a degree (you have to assume that, for many, this would've been their first ever Pokémon experience) but, coming fresh from Animal Crossing, it just felt a bit jarring, s'all. Hence the bit of a rant about it yesterday.

Although I'll stick to my criticism of the battle camera. I don't get motion-sickness, but that blasted thing needed to sit still whilst I was trying to read about my attacks. It was infuriatingly distracting, and therefore a solid mark against enjoying the gameplay, regardless.

Anyway, thanks to everybody else who replied. It's been a real interesting read!

@Octane It might've just been a bird we called Blathers, not an owl. That's unfortunately how distracted by the schizophrenic camera we were; I just said "owl" because Blathers is one, and that's what we called what we caught. It was whatever showed up alongside the squirrel / hamster in the first patches of long grass. I remember the Hoothoot from SoulSilver, even had one in my squad!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 I was totally going to get it... and then I realised that I have 0 income until September. Perhaps I’ll wait a bit 😂😂

RR529

I'm thinking about dropping FFIX. I don't dislike it, it's just that lately I've had no desire to play it (last arrived at the point where you learn Garnett lost her voice).

It could have something to do with the fact that I'm rewatching my favorite anime (and reading the manga), which has drawn me in completely, but that hasn't kept me from finding the time to play FFVR (and finish of Tales of Berseria) on PS4, so I dunno. Maybe FFIX is just a tad too dated for me, as shallow as that sounds.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Haruki_NLI

I got XCDE early, yet the two other games I ordered for same day release are late. Weird.

Gotta say XCDE is warming me up way better than XC2 did.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@RR529 Nah, it's fine. I'm a long-time FF fan and I just couldn't muster enough interest to continue playing the game, either.

And I was playing the older PS1 version with horrendous load times, lol.

Out of interest, what is FFVR?

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@RR529 Honestly, I can’t really bring myself to finish it either. I don’t have much left but I really like parts of it like the equipment skills and really dislike other parts like the horrible frame rate and the battles are just so slow. Although I don’t know if I’ll even go back to FF7R, the fact I went back to Horizon before it says an awful lot given my feelings on that game.

RR529

@Ralizah, @nessisonett, glad it's not just me.

Also, I meant to say FFVIIR, not FFVR.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@RR529 Gotcha. I figured that might have been what you were talking about, but you also own a PSVR, so I didn't know if there was some sort of "Final Fantasy interactive VR experience" or something.

How are you liking VII Remake, btw?

RE: FFIX... I'd gotten past the first disc, put it down for some reason, and went months without playing it. I didn't forget about it. It's more like... you know how sometimes you avoid calling a particularly annoying relative for as long as possible, but eventually give in because you don't like to hurt peoples' feelings? It's sort of like that. I finally decided that it was impossible to hurt the feelings of a PS1 game. I'll watch an LP of it on youtube or something.

Most of my annoyances were fairly minor, but add to that the complete lack of any sort of hook to keep the player coming back, and...

Edited on by Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 Oh ho mate - that would make it the sixth time I have bought the game now!!! Will check it out, thanks! Except for Resi 6. Obvs.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

HallowMoonshadow

Iconoclasts is a bit of an odd duck @KratosMD to me.

As I already said to you before in the review thread I've only played Hollow Knight in the metroidvania genre (Well that and some of Bloodstained).

I don't know if I'd really call Iconoclasts a metroidvania game...

It has some backtracking admittedly and some places require new abilities. But most of those are just for materials for the "tweaks system" (An... upgrade system of sorts. It's a bit hard to describe)

It's also incredibly story focused. Definitely not something I feel you can put on hold for a few weeks.

There are a number of bosses in it which (Alongside the plot (Which I thought got more interesting as it went along) and the characters (The antagonist Agent Black without a doubt being my favourite)) were definitely the highlight to me as they were all quite different and very engaging.

Oh and it's very beautiful for a pixel art game. Made by the one bloke as well which is always pretty impressive to me (I believe he's Swedish)

@Rudy_Manchego has played it too... I assume he's played more metroidvania's then me too so I he could probably give you more insight on that front

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

PSVR_lover

I just met a groovy chick at an anime con and she said if u love JRPGs ya gotta buy a Switch. So, I am looking into it because I love a good JRPG and having them on the go was one reason I loved the PSVITA.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Rudy_Manchego

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @KratosMD Iconoclasts, to my mind, isn't much of a Metroidvania compared to Hollow Knight etc. As Foxy said, there are upgradeable abilities and some limited backtracking but typically, the story moves you from location to location.I would probably call it a more narrative driven platformer than anything. It has some memorable bosses - though I would say I found the difficulty spikes tough BUT I'm not great at platformers overall. ARtwork and story is really really good though.

I also played on Vita and I think possibly a bigger screen would have been helpful, either on PS4 or docked for Switch.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic