Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,261 to 4,280 of 7,480

Ralizah

@nessisonett What games are you having to use workarounds for on PC? The DS4 connects via Bluetooth and Steam natively supports it.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Hardly any of my games on Steam actually recognise the DS4 which is really annoying. I also use Game Pass PC where Microsoft pretend that the Xbox controller is the only one that exists so it’s easier to just use DS4Windows whenever I plug it in.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett Weird. Are you customizing the controls and launching in Big Picture Mode? Like I said, it's natively supported by Steam, so you should be able to use it in almost everything.

Game Pass doesn't surprise me, though. If I ever get around to "upgrading" to Windows 10, I'll probably snag an Xbone controller for those games. I have a 360 pad, but I really hate that controller.

mookysam

Hmm a new Paper Mario is right round the corner. It looks absolutely gorgeous, but I wonder if it will reintegrate the RPG mechanics missing from the last few entries.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

belmont

I started Octopath Traveller these days and I love it! Why I haven't played it till this time lol?

The only bad thing I find is that the characters don't interact much but I love the graphics, the setting, the characters and the music. Highly recommended if you are into old school jrpg games.

belmont

Ralizah

Wow, the new Paper Mario game is gorgeous-looking.

Environments look very large and exploratory, too.

Also kind of digging the creepy vibe at the beginning there with Origami Peach.

I'll still wait for reviews to make sure it's not a gimmicky mess like Sticker Star/Color Splash, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

johncalmc

I have to say I was 10/10 excited to see that there'd be a new Paper Mario coming because I love me a Paper Mario but I am worried it's going to be one of the rubbsih Paper Marios and not one of the good Paper Marios.

johncalmc

Twitter:

nessisonett

I was excited for Paper Mario until I saw the trailer. It just looks uninspiring and nothing like the original 2, yet again. Just remaster the first two, they clearly can’t make them anymore and instead just want Mario and Luigi clones.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Haruki_NLI

KratosMD wrote:

Nintendo fans are literally so hungry for anything new that they're definitely going to overhype this game

They've already written it off en masse just because its not the first two games. So yeah, this game is DOA, even if its the best one yet.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haruki_NLI

@KratosMD I mean, I'm just going to join in on the full negativity here, because eff me being positive about this franchise is nigh impossible online, but what DO we expect from a current-gen Paper Mario?

Intelligent Systems clearly cant do HD development, given Koei Tecmo helped make Fire Emblem Three Houses, and they ALSO made Paper Mario Origami King. Even if the Paper Mario team is completely separate, its been 4 years. If not, then yikes, maybe two at most?

But beyond that, Intelligent Systems probably isn't the studio to do this series, as originally envisioned as a sequel to Super Mario RPG, as the original Paper Mario had issues, to the point where TTYD seems more like a damn miracle its good.

They clearly aren't suited for RPGs or Adventure games, and as noted, HD development seems beyond them, given Fire Emblem was announced to exist in January 2017, and came out two and a half years later being carried by someone else entirely.

Metroid Prime 4 was mishandled allegedly by Bandai Namco, so Nintendo went to Retro, whatever Retro did before that is dead evidently at this point, Bayonetta 3....god knows given Platinum cant stop making other crap on top of the thing they announced first, and since the Paper Mario rumour was true, hope you guys like 3D Mario remakes that'll no doubt be gimped in some way.

As much as I believe the notion of going into a release with a blank slate is a good idea, I think I may just give up on that and join the rest of the planet in the "Yeah itll be bad" camp.

At this point the entire company cant release or even reveal a game without something being wrong with it, even if it ends up good.

Octane

@KratosMD I don't like the character design in the older Paper Mario games, so I don't mind the more generic look. I like it TBH. I wasn't a fan of Colour Splash because of other reasons. One being the battle system; and there were a couple of other infuriating moments. But I didn't mind the story and the characters. At least they aren't all Toads this time around, so there's variety in that. I like what I'm seeing, but these games aren't 10/10s for me anyway.

Octane

Octane

But I just noticed its coming out on the same day as Ghost of Tsushima. So yeah... I know which one I'm going to buy.

Octane

Octane

@KratosMD Good luck waiting till it hits €20 or 30. Nearly every Nintendo game on Switch is still €60. Still waiting for BOTW to drop below €40, because I wouldn't mind giving it a second chance, and I don't really fancy setting up my Wii U again.

Anyway, I fear this game will end up with the rest of the ''€60 is too much for this'' first party Nintendo titles that I'll never end up buying.

Octane

Ralizah

Same day as Ghost of Tsushima, eh? Sounds like I have some choices ahead of me. Hopefully today's State of Play will clear that up for me.

It probably helps that I'm in the middle of TTYD, which is an awesome little game, so I probably won't be hugely hungry for more Paper Mario in July.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

@KratosMD I think the big problem is that Nintendo's INTERNAL teams, so the guys who do Mario, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Zelda, ARMS, Mario Kart, Smash, they all had the Wii U to learn HD development.

Those franchises have nailed it.

It's their EXTERNAL studios where we see the problems. MonolithSoft, NextLevelGames and Retro being exceptions, you have Game Freak, who worked only on 3DS until Switch, Intelligent Systems, who had made one HD game for the end of the Wii U before moving to Switch, they were all 3DS based. Good Feel had only made one HD game before Switch, HAL had made only one HD game, you notice a trend?

What we call their "Other franchises" are actually handled by studios that are owned by, but not internal to, Nintendo.

And those studios focused heavily on sub-HD titles for 3DS obviously, a downside to the two system approach, is now THOSE studios have to catch up too.

I think the other problem is Nintendo's "Its done when its done approach". Counter to reports of crunch within Sony, Xbox or third party studios, Nintendo developers, studios, management, even contractors, state that yeah, the studio tells Nintendo when the game ships, not the other way around, with few exceptions (Launch titles like BOTW for instance obviously).

Animal Crossing was delayed. Nintendo openly stated they were waiting for Next Level to tell THEM when Luigi's Mansion 3 was ready. So you really cant have it both ways with frequent releases and good working conditions.

But further to that is their aversion to multiple projects at once. The team who did Splatoon 2 then did Animal Crossing New Horizons. Grezzo did Majora's Mask 3D, then Link's Awakening. One of the internal teams did Mario Kart 8, then ARMS. Each team tends to be a one game at a time deal.

It does help Nintendo's internal studios are about 10 teams big, and they have countless external ones like Retro, Next Level, NST, Grezzo, NERD, MonolithSoft, HAL, Intelligent Systems, and so on.

I mean for context let's tally up stuff.

Zelda Team: Skyward Sword - 2011/BOTW - 2017/BOTW 2 - ???
Mario Team - 3D World - 2013/Odyssey - 2017
Mario Kart Team - Mario Kart 8 - 2014/ ARMS - 2017
Splatoon Team - Animal Crossing New Leaf - 2013/ Splatoon - 2015/Splatoon 2 - 2017/ Animal Crossing New Horizons - 2020
Monolith - Xenoblade Chronicles X - 2015/Xenoblade 2 - 2017/Xenoblade Def - 2020
Intelligent Systems - FE Fates - 2016/Colour Splash - 2016/Echoes - 2017/Three Houses - 2019/Origami King - 2020
HAL - Kirby Planet Robobot - 2016/Star Allies - 2018
Good Feel - Kibry's Epic Yarn - 2010/Woolly World - 2015/Crafted World - 2019
Next Level - Luigi's Mansion 2 - 2014/Federation Force - 2016/Luigi's Mansion 3 - 2019
Grezzo - Majora's Mask 3D - 2015/Ever Oasis - 2017/Link's Awakening - 2019

So really each studio can pump out a midtier game every couple of years. Its just a case of can they do more than one at a time, and if so why not, or does Nintendo need to invest even MORE into other studios?

They did contract MercurySteam to make a Metroid game for 3DS in 2017, Bandai Namco for Smash, and they are also very happy to throw money at indie studios like SFB for Snipperclips, Brace Yourself for Zelda, that one mobile team I cant recall the name of for Good Job!. So they are clearly experimenting with increasing output.

Its just a case of them finding what works, I guess?

Ralizah

Oh yeah, I thought about grabbing that when it came out. I still might at some point, since it seems to add some much-needed gameplay diversity to Picross. Didn't particularly like the character designs, though, and I worried the narrative elements wouldn't be up to snuff.

On the Paper Mario front...

Going back to the trailer again, here are my thoughts:

• The presentation is gorgeous. It looks even better than Color Splash on that front, which was one of the prettiest games on the Wii U.
  • The presentation is surprisingly cinematic. Now, Nintendo could just be stringing together a few cutscenes, but it looks a lot more dramatic and story-heavy so far than Sticker Star or Color Splash.
  • Not sure what to think of the battle system. It doesn't look like it's using consumables, but I also didn't see any signs of RPG elements. Nintendo mentions "puzzle solving," so it could it have more of a tactics feel to it? I dunno. This is the biggest aspect I want Nintendo to discuss ahead of launch.
  • Love how creepy Origami Peach is.
  • The environments look huge! There even seems to be sailing ala The Wind Waker. Even the otherwise deep TTYD is EXTREMELY linear in terms of its level design, so I'm intrigued by this change.
  • Too many paper puns, but I guess the ship has sailed on that front.
  • A bit conflicted on the character front. It's clearly not going to feature the deep characterizations of The Thousand Year Door, but it also looks like the NPCs are going to have some dialogue and personality to them. Could go either way, to be honest.

Conclusion: I think this is clearly going to be a continuation of the design philosophy of the newer PM games, but with some significant alterations that make it a significantly more compelling experience. I could be wrong, and I'm definitely not "sold," but I also think people are rushing to conclusions about it too quickly. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Edited on by Ralizah

RR529

New Paper Mario looks good so far (though this is coming from someone who didn't hate Sticker Star, even though it is the weakest entry I've played).

This really could be the spring/summer of JRPGs for me. On Switch I'm currently playing FFIX, which should hold me over until Xenoblade Chronicles DE, then the new Paper Mario after that. On PS4 I'm nearing the end of Tales of Berseria, want to jump into FF7 Remake next, and then probably Trials of Mana.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

RE: New purchases this year, my plan looks something like this:

Shantae and the Seven Sirens (Switch)
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (Switch)
Catherine: Full Body (Switch)
Paper Mario: The Origami King (Switch)
Baldo (Switch)
Cyberpunk 2077 (PC)

Un-dated releases that I'll probably add if we hear more about them:
World of Horror
3D Super Mario Collection

Games I plan to buy later in the year when they drop in price a bit:
Sakura Wars (PS4)
DOOM Eternal (PC)

Edited on by Ralizah

Severian

I have the PS4 and original Switch, my gf has the Switch Lite. Really helpful because sometimes I want to play Bloodborne so she can just play Animal Crossing on her Lite, other times she wants to watch NetFlix and I can play Smash Ultimate in handheld mode. =D

Severian

RogerRoger

Over the weekend, I made a little more progress on my partner's island in Animal Crossing: New Horizons (got a cracking moustache to go with my old timey pilot's outfit, tally ho) but we also booted up Pokémon Shield, which he'd ordered from Amazon a couple days beforehand.

No offence to any hardcore fans here, but I really wasn't impressed. Oh sure, it was very pretty, but the opening hour was monumentally sluggish. Back and forth, up and down that tiny road, to one house and another and then to the station, only to go back to the house... look, we get it. We all know how this goes. We wake up, we meet our rival, we get a starter Pokémon, we have a vision of a Legendary and we head out in search of long grass. It's predictable, and it writes itself, so why is it being stretched to breaking point? And just how fantastic is that flamboyant champion supposed to be, if he'd get himself lost on a straight, 100m road?!

There were also a handful of presentational issues, which neither of us appreciated. We felt disconnected from the eerily silent characters (I know this is a hangover from the series' handheld roots, but surely the Switch is powerful enough to handle an occasional "Heh!" or "Huh?" or equivalent anime-style grunt). We hated the way the camera refused to sit still during a battle, throwing up all sorts of splitscreens and zooms and panning shots with the panache of a first-year cinematography student, all whilst I'm trying to read about which attack to use. I was forever whirling the camera around in Animal Crossing, much to my partner's chagrin, but even I thought it was a bit much.

And okay, I liked the Droideka Sheep, but the other Pokémon we encountered (starters included) simply weren't memorable. We caught an owl and called it Blathers but, without that crossover in-joke, I doubt I'd even be able to remember what species it was, let alone what it looked like (seriously, I'm trying to recall an image of it, and I'm just seeing Blathers).

My experience of Pokémon is limited to SoulSilver, which I thought was "good, yeah" and my partner hasn't touched the series since Red (which he didn't like, even back in the day) so maybe we're just not the target audience. It'll be interesting to see whether we continue with it in a couple weeks.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic