Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,141 to 4,160 of 7,477

Ralizah

@nessisonett Game gets hourly music once Tom Nook's administrative tent turns into a building.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 @Ralizah Oh that’s good, it does seem to be especially glacially paced compared to previous entries but I’m looking forward to having an actual town at some point.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett This is the first one for me but I believe it’s slow burn even by AC standards. That said I still found myself with quite a bit to do, I enjoy just catching the same fish haha

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

kyleforrester87

@Arugula I just can’t stop playing it since I got it 2 weeks ago. I haven’t had anything else to play to be fair so it’ll be a test to see if I remain committed once FF7 is out, but I can see this being one I keep coming back to for a long time.

kyleforrester87

mookysam

@kyleforrester87 It is a bit slower to fully open up but I'd say the pacing is in some respects a little snappier compared to previous Animal Crossing games. Perhaps it's down to the added structure and I'm finding it's quicker to rack up bells (and thus expand my home) too. Being able to make furniture and other items is a really neat feature.

@nessisonett The new tracks are great! I was playing quite late at night a few days ago and have to say the 2am or 3am theme is rather funky. I could barely keep my eyes open at that point yet my head instinctively bobbed along.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

kyleforrester87

@mookysam so you couldn’t craft furniture before? That’s a bummer.

What was scuba diving like in past instalments?

Finally got an atlas moth, those things creep me out!

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

RR529

Played for an hour before I realized I wasn't getting any balloons (not even Bunny Day ones), and I was running up & down the beach they were spawning at fishing, so I know I can't have just happened to miss an entire hour's worth of them. I haven't hit 300, and I'm on the latest update, so hopefully it's just a fluke & they'll be back next time I fire it up.

Before they disappeared I managed to get 4 seasonal recipes though. A Cherry Blossom Picnic Set (though I got this from Isabelle), Cherry Blossom Umbrella, Bamboo Wand, and Bamboo Slide. Now I'm up to 8 Cherry Blossom recipes & 4 Young Spring Bamboo recipes.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 Yeah, that "I can't stop coming back to this" feature of the games is why people end up racking up hundreds or thousands of hours playing them. And, honestly, that's how it's designed to be played, which is why seasonal events and festivities are hosted throughout the year. And why I would only ever go digital with it. If there's one game you want to be able to drop in and out of quickly, it's this.

And yeah, crafting is a new aspect of the series. There was none of this item, furniture, or tool crafting in the past. Non-fruit bearing trees didn't supply you with wood. In New Leaf, you couldn't just choose your hair style: you had to answer cryptic questions and then hope the hair stylist didn't mess it up, because you could only get one hair cut per day.

The most interesting aspect of New Horizons is how much it abandons the whole "do whatever you feel like" conceit of previous games, insofar as this title explicitly incentivizes you to play in certain ways. Not that I mind this at all. I always felt like all New Leaf was missing besides outdoor customization was having some sort of reward system in place other than home inspections, Gracie opening up a store in your town, and being able to pay your loans.

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

kyleforrester87 wrote:

@Arugula I just can’t stop playing it since I got it 2 weeks ago. I haven’t had anything else to play to be fair so it’ll be a test to see if I remain committed once FF7 is out, but I can see this being one I keep coming back to for a long time.

@kyleforrester87 Your Final Fantasy Legend status will be revoked if that happens.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah That's a bit of an eye opener then, didn't realise this one took such significant steps. What about scuba diving in the older installments? Did it serve a purpose, more stuff to collect or something? I'm expecting the piers to be used for something eventually...

It's pretty exciting to think about what DLC and events could come to this game over the next few years.

@JohnnyShoulder I've come to realise, despite my love for the FF franchise, I don't even scratch the surface when it comes to some other people!

kyleforrester87

nessisonett

Finally got those iron nuggets, that was longer than I expected it to be. Just need to wait for the shop to build now!

mookysam

@kyleforrester87 In New Leaf you could dive when hovering over these dark blobs in the ocean which would indicate the presence of a deep sea creature. You couldn't actually control the villager under the sea, rather they would automatically grab whatever was lurking beneath the waves then resurface.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 Oh yeah, and even New Leaf was a big step forward from previous entries. In the older games, you worked for Tom Nook (you had a uniform and everything, lol) to pay off your home loan, sold fruit, but you didn't really have control over your environment. You were just one person in a town full of people. Just a villager. New Leaf made you the mayor and gave you some control over the direction of the town's development. New Horizons is the logical endpoint of that growth pattern, and gives you total control over your entire island, down to the physical shape of the environment.

I notice they've made interactions with villagers less... er... scheduled as well. Nobody has invited me to come visit their homes at specific times, or anything like that. I do hope we still celebrate birthdays for the villagers, though.

The seasonal events are usually fun (Bunny Day has been a bit mixed for me, though), so that should keep you coming back throughout the year.

Edited on by Ralizah

RR529

Don't have the time to try it out myself yet, but apparently there's a way to force the game to spawn a balloon (a normal one) every 5 minutes.

https://www.polygon.com/animal-crossing-new-horizons-switch-a...

If it works, it could be useful in getting all the Cherry Blossom recipes.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

Untitled

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic