Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,041 to 4,060 of 7,479

Ralizah

Here's a video comparing the demo on the two platforms.

Switch: Moderately faster load times; portability
PS4: Slightly crisper visuals; 60fps

The drop to 30fps is the only real sacrifice in the Switch version. Seems like it's going to be another solid port.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

belmont

I am playing Murder by Numbers these days. I really like this game especially if you like the Ace Attorney series

belmont

belmont

Hey all Final Fantasy games are discounted on Switch. Can anyone comment on the performance of any of them?

belmont

Ralizah

@belmont I only own FFXII, but the performance is fine, for the most part. Image quality is a tad soft in handheld mode (576p), but no framerate issues, and the game looks fantastic on the TV. It's worth getting just for the QoL improvements over the PS4/PC versions.

I've heard FFX is pretty much perfect. 720p handheld, 1080p docked, no framerate issues.

FFVII/IX had some bugs related to the music at launch, but I'm very certain they were patched.

Haven't heard anything about WoFF.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@belmont Out of any of them, FFXII is my favourite in handheld, just because of the nature of the combat. I admit I played the whole game in 4x speed but I didn’t play the original and couldn’t imagine playing it in normal speed!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

belmont

@Ralizah @nessisonett The only one I have already is VII. The music issue was patched
Thanks for the heads'up. I may get the games from the main series even though I have multiple copies of them already. Despite my username Final Fantasy is my favourite game series.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

Ralizah

@nessisonett It was fine at the time on PS2, but I wouldn't want to go back to playing without the higher speed combat. It makes things so much more snappy!

Ryall

@KratosMD I doubt it’s possible for any game to damage a switch by overheating. The original switch is under clocked compared to the shield that uses the same processor and the current switch is massively under clocked. Run either of them continuously flat out for a long periods of time and they still won’t get to the highest temperature of the parts were designed to withstand.

Ryall

RR529

After what had to have been 40-50 attempts, I beat the final boss in Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD this morning!

I'm gonna play around with the not so secret unlockable character, Sonic, and try my hand at completing the post game world(s) before I put it down.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

I’ve been playing Dragon Quest VII on 3DS (it’s close enough to Switch ok) and it’s been long winded, annoying and really quite good. It’s an impressive remake given the original was 2D and on the PS1 and there’s some great QOL changes. Apparently it’s like 80 hours long so it remains to be seen whether I finish it or not.

Ralizah

Ahh, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is SO good. Beautiful performance and presentation however you play. So many great QoL changes. This is probably going to be my favorite exclusive on the system.

nessisonett wrote:

I’ve been playing Dragon Quest VII on 3DS (it’s close enough to Switch ok) and it’s been long winded, annoying and really quite good.

One of those three things doesn't fit with the others.

KratosMD wrote:

Oh and I played a bit in portable mode and for some reason, the game looks better in handheld mode than on the TV. So weird.

That happens when there aren't different performance profiles for TV/handheld mode. 720p or whatever when undocked is obviously going to look sharper than the game displaying at the same resolution on a big HDTV.

Although my guess is that the game is sub-720p undocked and goes up to 720p when docked. That was the case with The Witcher 3, and it's almost universally agreed that the game still manages to look better in handheld mode due to the small screen hiding a lot of the visual imperfections.

As to the game being poorly optimized... it's no surprise, really, if you played the remakes for Adventures of Mana/Secret of Mana, which were both pretty rough. Based on the demo, this game is head-and-shoulders above those games in terms of performance and how fun it is to play, although it's lacking in the visual polish that defines S-E's biggest releases.

It doesn't look too bad, though, IMO. Not on the level of Dragon Quest, but it definitely looks better than a lot of Falcom's games, as well as Fire Emblem: Three Houses and all of the recent Pokemon games.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Honestly, most PS1 RPGs do fall into some annoying habits such as corridor dungeons, obtuse puzzles and tanky bosses. I kinda love that though, it’s part of the charm in games like Suikoden and FF7.

kyleforrester87

Replaying Xenoblade Chronicles 2 again at the moment. It's actually a slow second play through I started a while ago. Just got to Mor Ardain. I do really like this game, but I doubt I'll get through it again before FF7. And then, hopefully, XBC1 will be launching not soon after.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RogerRoger

@Ralizah I thought I'd bring your question about Animal Crossing here, if that's okay?

Didn't even know it had multiplayer, if I'm honest. I don't know much about the Animal Crossing franchise at all, beyond a handful of cute-looking clips and a presentational trailer I watched on my partner's Switch a few weeks back. Isn't it basically The Sims with chibi animals?

He's having fun with it at the moment, apparently sitting in a tent and sending fish to a research company or something (?!) but since I don't have a second Switch, I doubt I'd be able to join him.

Am I right in thinking that, or is it local multiplayer?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger All types of multiplayer. In this case, you can make an account on his Switch and you can both play your characters together when you want to meet up and do stuff. There's also local multiplayer via multiple Switches and online multiplayer via multiple Switches.

The downside to sharing an island on one system, of course, is that all players share resources, so you don't get the satisfying experience of gradually unlocking the game over time if you're not the first person on there. But it seems like it might be a good way to have fun with your partner.

I wouldn't compare it to The Sims at all, really. It's not really like anything else you'll ever play (other than indie games attempting to evoke associations with Animal Crossing). There are no stakes, very little in the way of item or system management, and not much in the way of explicit structure. This iteration of the series did add a system to incentivize and reward players for doing stuff they'd be doing anyway, like catching bugs, growing fruit trees, etc. (and also acts like a sort of stealth tutorial to show off the game's mechanics), but previous entries didn't even have that. All of your goals were, and, generally, still are self-made.

The game mirrors real life insofar as it follows a 24 clock system that aligns with your own as well as a calendar system where events will happen during holidays and the onset of specific seasons (which can also change the things available for you to do). Otherwise, you just... customize stuff, invite animal villagers to live on your island, listen to their problems, go visit their homes, go shopping for new clothes/household items/whatever, catch fish/bugs, grow a rudimentary source of income generation, play the "stalk market" (you want to buy turnips at a low price and sell them for as high a price as possible), and, generally, just relax and have fun. It sounds boring as hell, but I find the games to be quite charming, and it's nice to get away from the focus on killing and violence most games (either implicitly or explicitly) seem to focus on.

What your partner is (probably) doing is submitting fish donations to the local museum that an owl villager named Blathers is trying to set up on his island.

Edited on by Ralizah

RR529

Some of the levels were pretty brutal, but I managed to clear the first post game world in Banana Blitz HD. One more world to go.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Ah, neato. Thanks for explaining!

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that I'm too impatient for life-building games, so having the option to drop in on whatever my partner's been working on and periodically help him out with tasks sounds like it could be quite fun. Certainly more involved than a straightforward show-and-tell.

And definitely more free than I'd expected it to be, from what you're saying. The recent popularity of "okay, here's a sandbox, make your own fun" games isn't something I thought Nintendo had gotten in on, although I know that Animal Crossing has been around far longer than Minecraft (again, probably another terrible comparison that I'm making out of ignorance). It sounds like there's just enough structure, with things like the Stalk Market (bless) and NPCs with backstory for those who wanna find and integrate with them. Could make for a pleasant change of pace, I agree; I'll look forward to seeing it in action.

My partner is most definitely not a shmup gamer, so no wonder he's enjoying it thusfar. Maybe he'll be able to answer the many questions I now have about an owl setting up a fish museum!

And I'll take "sentences I didn't expect to type today" for five hundred, Alex.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RR529

I was thinking about getting DMC 2 or finally trying out the RE series with the Origins Collection as my next game, but with everything that's going on in the world I really don't fancy playing anything particularly dark at the moment.

Maybe I'll grab a JRPG or finally see what all the fuss is about regarding Animal Crossing instead.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

nessisonett

@RR529 I know what you mean about Resident Evil, I have the 3 Demo that I haven’t played yet because it’s a bit grim. I actually skipped DMC 2 despite playing every other game in the series because my friends told me it absolutely wasn’t worth the time lol.

kyleforrester87

I had the coral pink Switch on preorder with Animal Crossing for my girlfriend but a month seems like a long way away at the moment and since we're spending so much time at home I just got her a black on with the game today. Wish she'd stop working and try it out so I can have a go :')

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic