Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 401 to 420 of 7,479

Nei

^ sounds lovely. I am getting one as soon as a game I'm interested in comes out as I have a wiiU for Breath of the Wild and MK8. Probably Mario Odyssey I guess...Metroid would be cool. Tekken would also be cool, hope they port it.

Edited on by Nei

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Haruki_NLI

@themcnoisy I'm going to request you let us know the moment it feels weird and a dull to be stuck playing games locked to a TV. Everyone seems to be getting that feeling about a month in.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

themcnoisy

@Feena it is good, I would buy one if you have the £260. All the issues I've read about are none existent. I'm unsure on the life of the Joycons which I could envisage being an issue, but otherwise it's really good.

@BLP_Software I can already see that. Obviously The PS4 has remote play via the Vita but it's not as useful in practice. With the switch we can take this on the plane abroad and have some local multi-player. I've never done that before!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Tasuki

@themcnoisy Dang Mc you almost make me want one now lol. I will admit the portability factor is a seller for me but right now it's the lack of games. I have Zelda and Mario Kart 8 on Wii U and while it will be nice to have them portable I can't really afford double dipping on MK8. Also I want to see more of the third part line up. I mean having the ability to take say Madden or Fallout, or GTA on the go would be awesome. Hopefully E3 will convince me to get a Switch.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

brendon987

I brought the switch at launch and loving it so far. I mix my console gaming between the ps vita and switch. I only play switch as a handheld. I dont own a tv.
Zelda is entertaining but a little bland. But you can save anytime so its great for casual play.
Mk8 is brilliant. I have not played a mk game since nin64.
But i am scared for the switch. Lacking library and everything is very expensive. It could lack legs.
Still is doing really well so far.
I skip the wii and wii u. So hoping that the better games make it onto the switch and ports buildup the library quickly.
I hope sony do something similar with there next console.

brendon987

Ralizah

brendon987 wrote:

But i am scared for the switch. Lacking library and everything is very expensive.

If you adjust for inflation, it's the fourth cheapest console ever released, behind the Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Wii. At launch, anyway, which is the only relevant metric when discussing price. I would agree on accessory pricing, though. As to the library... it's two months old. Have you owned a launch console before? It usually takes a year or so for a console to build up steam. The jury is out for later years (never underestimate Nintendo's ability to take a good thing and mess it up badly), but at least the Switch is set up to have one of the best first-party lineups in Nintendo console history, with the second highest-rated Zelda of all time, an enhanced port of a critically acclaimed Mario Kart game, a new Xenoblade, an interesting new first-party I.P. (ARMS), a sequel to another new first-party franchise (Splatoon 2), and an ambitious 3D Mario (Super Mario Odyssey), along with potential E3 surprise reveals and a decent collection of eshop-bound indie titles.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@themcnoisy What I've learnt playing the Switch is that the form factor does just work, it really does what it says on the tin. Similar situation to you last night, couldn't get near near my playthrough of RE7 on PS4 because my wife wanted to catch up on some TV shows so I just picked up the Switch and spent a couple of hours on Zelda then dropped it back into the cradle when done. It was great - I've been playing Zelda now since mid-March, am probably a quarter of the way through but I just keep picking it up when I have a spare thirty or forty minutes or if I can't get the TV.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

themcnoisy

@Ralizah and if you throw in Gamecube games, then the console is then on another level altogether. If Nintendo can somehow get Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball and F Zero GX up and running it will be the best handheld ever hands down imo. Then add in Odyssey and Splatoon for the AAA crowd and Disgaea and Xenoblade for the rpg fix and no real gamer can say they don't want one. I'm actually happy the games are a touch expensive, as long as they don't peddle micro transactions I'm way more happy.

Ralizah

@themcnoisy I mean, the big first-party games are normal console game price. I'll pay the same for a new Switch game as I will a new PS4 game.

It's too bad Nintendo was short-sighted and didn't include analog triggers, though. If they do eventually bring GC emulation to the system, games like Super Mario Sunshine are going to be difficult to control effectively.

themcnoisy

@Ralizah Ahhh I never knew that. The fludd would control differently that's for sure.

themcnoisy

Picked up Mario Kart, I love the way the instruction book is now the inlay of the cover which works with the transparent box.

themcnoisy

I can't believe Mario Kart 8 is being pumped out by a tablet? It's magic. The tiny controllers in 2 player can't be used for long but it's loads of fun in battle mode. It looks great, mainly due to the cartoony artstyle, the dreaded Aliasing is prevelant throughout due to the lower resolution I've been lucky enough to play with on pro and its a big step back from Infamous or ratchet at 1800p.

As for MK8 its obviously great but far too weighted towards weapons as the last few editions. Top game though with tons of characters, tracks and modes.

Ralizah

@themcnoisy Yeah, I continue to be impressed that a little tablet can run MK8 more smoothly than the Wii U could. BotW was even more mind-boggling for me. Regardless of how underpowered it is in comparison to its beefier stationary contemporaries, the Switch is a marvel of modern technology.

I can't really adjust well to sideways joycon play, though. It's just uncomfortable. It's cool in theory, and I like that I can occasionally do mp with my nephew without investing in another controller, but I still don't see it as a viable control option.

Haruki_NLI

@themcnoisy Of coure it's a big step back from Infamous or Ratchet at 1080p. Guess what the Switch console screen itself is? 720p! If that screen had the capacity for 1080p it would but that'd be a price hike.

But it's glorious 1080p on the TV and that's what matters.

or at least that's what matters to most.

themcnoisy

@BLP_Software not 1080p.

I own a ps4"pro on s 4k tv. And they both run at 1800p.

Haruki_NLI

@themcnoisy The point remains. If you want a 1080p and above screen of 6 inches in size you'd need to be ready to cough up loads. My phone has a 2k screen and is damn near £1000.

I think expectation is a problem in this industry. Being happy with ones lot seems rare nowadays. A tablet can't do what a brick the size of a very large doorstop can do. That's physically impossible, and as I've always said, even if it could, it would have to be huge, not very portable, incredibly expensive, and melt your hand from the heat with a battery life of mere seconds.

And honestly the fact it's a gorgeous IPS display means that I don't care what resolution it is so long as it looks good. And it looks good.

Octane

@BLP_Software I think you got ripped off in that case. There's no phone I can think off that is worth €1000+. I paid €399 for my OnePlus, and it has a 1080p screen. You didn't pay that much for a screen, that's for sure.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Well, it's more like £750-800 for the hardware, its the plan on top that take it up to £1000 for the two years.

Samsung Galaxy S8, by the by. The screen is nice but it has no reason to be 2k at that size.

BAMozzy

@BLP_Software An iPad Mini 4 has a 7.9" 2048x1536 multi-touch display. It also has a 128GB storage - 4x that of the Switch as well as accelerometers, three axis gyros, wifi and bluetooth and a reasonable battery life - all for £330. Of course if you factor in the cost of the dock, the controllers etc - making a Switch with a smaller and lower res 1080p screen could still have been possible.

The problem with making a Switch with a 1080p screen is more to do with running games at that level on that hardware and delivering a 'reasonable' battery life. Is heat a major problem when docked? No - so it must be able to keep the heat down enough. Its primarily down to the battery life and extending that as much as possible. A 1080p screen would no doubt add a bit to the cost but the biggest cost would be to battery life...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Ralizah

720p on the tablet is a smart compromise, considering things look sharper on the smaller screen anyway.

I don't get the appeal of the whole 4K thing, honestly. If support for 4K happens as a side effect of technological change? Great! Advertising 4K support as the main selling point for a console makes zero sense to me, though. And it especially doesn't make sense to me when the resources required to achieve 4K could be directed somewhere else.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic