Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,901 to 3,920 of 7,477

crimsontadpoles

@KratosMD The new Animal Crossing game will likely be well received. Animal Crossing is a very laid-back and casual series, so more of the same with minor improvements would work well for the new game.

Animal Crossing and Pokemon are very different things, so I don't think we can really compare them for this. However, I bet there would be a lot of complaints if the new Animal Crossing game was missing half of the villagers from New Leaf.

RR529

Just by happenstance I played both a bit of Kirby: Star Allies & Kirby: Planet Robobot (on 3DS, naturally) this afternoon, and it really makes me want them to follow up Star Allies with a more ambitious game.

Despite both being 2.5D platformers, PR plays around with multiple layers a lot more (in fact, I don't think Star Allies does this at all), uses more dynamic camera angles (like how the new DKC games do), and the robobot is a really fun gimmick that's simply much more fun than the ally mechanic of the Switch game.

Not that I hated Star Allies by any means, but there's something wrong when the series' first mainline HD outing is a step back in nearly every way (outside of graphical fidelity, obviously, as SA is a suprisingly beautiful game in motion) compared to it's last gen swan song.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@RR529 Planet Robobot is awesome. Probably the best Kirby game ever made. It disappointed me to no end that they followed up such a cool, interesting Kirby adventure with the most generic Kirby game possible.

Oh, and while Star Allies is obviously far higher res than PR, I found the latter's gorgeous implementation of stereoscopic 3D made it the more visually stunning title for me. Also, the art design in PR is just miles ahead of SA.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

RR529

@Ralizah, I don't think I used the 3D effect in PR (I think my slider broke by then), however I agree on the art direction. The mechanized theme that runs through the game brings a unique twist to the standard grass, desert worlds & the like, then you have the suburban & city worlds which are quite different than what you usually get in Nintendo platformers.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Ralizah

Seeing the disappointment online about this not being a general Direct is pretty funny. Makes sense, though. Nintendo's 2020 plans aren't fleshed out at all, and we JUST GOT new Pokemon games (massively controversial ones, at that).

I'll catch it if I'm online at the time, but I'm not expecting much. If I had to guess:

• Pokemon Home update
  • Pokemon Masters news
  • New Pokemon Sw/Sh event
  • MAYBE a reveal for a Detective Pikachu sequel

Octane

@Ralizah Probably the remaining Gigantimax forms for SWSH. I don't expect DLC.

But yeah, this is kinda whatever. People are too excited for a Direct, so this will disappoint regardless.

Octane

Jessiex

I tried both the regular Switch and the Switch Lite at Target and they both felt cheap to me. They felt like they could break in my hands after a few weeks.

Can't wait for PS5!

RR529

To anyone who's played it, do you have to do all the sidequests in XC2: Torna, or just most of them?

I know they're more important here than in the main game due to the community building function, but there's one I haven't been able to do. It wants you to pull off the Break, Topple, Launch, Smash cycle 3 different times, which isn't necessarily a problem in itself (I've managed to do so pretty regularly), but apparently it doesn't count for the quest unless the character you're controlling is the one that initiates the final step, and one of my party members is always quicker on the draw than I am, so it doesn't count.

If I don't absolutely have to do it, I figure I'll just move on & not worry about it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

johncalmc

On the plus side, now you can pay for two DLC packs as well as two copies of the game if you want to get all the Pokémon.

johncalmc

Twitter:

BranJ0

The expansion pass is great except locking 200+ pokemon behind a paywall is really shady in my opinion. This completely contradicts their claims about balance. I know people without the pass can technically get the pokemon via trading, but still it's not exactly great practice.

BranJ0

Ralizah

@RR529 You have to do most of the sidequests. The majority. There were definitely some left after obtaining the community level needed to beat the game, but I had so much fun with it that I wanted to do absolutely everything.

HallowMoonshadow

The whole adding 200 more pokemon... that's technically not locked behind the expansion pass... But you have to trade with someone who has the expansion or use Pokémon Home to get them if I understand correctly?

I personally don't think the optics are particularly great ... especially for people who think the main game was rushed and notable content is now locked behind a paywall of some kind (and there was no new info about home correct?)

To be honest I'm not terribly fond of the practice of DLC anyway for any game as I'm way too cynical about it being hacked off and sold seperately. More often then not I don't feel DLC adds a lot of meaningful content for the price.

... Also I think the mystery dungeon remake looks a bit off thanks to the... I guess it looks a little like a storybook at some points with the backgrounds... yet the pokemon are rendered normally in 3D.

That's probably just me though and need to get used to the new style 😅

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Eh. At least you can transfer the Pokemon in. And a $30 expansion pass beats a $60 "third version," imo.

I doubt I'll be going for it, though. I've just not been able to maintain interest in Pokemon lately.

Paying for Home is a bit frustrating, though. It should have been included with NSO.

EDIT: Just watched the Mystery Dungeon trailer. Have to disagree: the game is BEAUTIFUL. Not really a fan of that gameplay style, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

RR529

Ralizah wrote:

@RR529 You have to do most of the sidequests. The majority. There were definitely some left after obtaining the community level needed to beat the game, but I had so much fun with it that I wanted to do absolutely everything.

Thanks! Yeah, I've done most of the sidequests available to me thus far, I just can't seem to nail this one because one of my party members always manages to initiate Smash before I can, so it doesn't count.

I probably shouldn't have too much trouble with the rest if they don't overly rely on performing more in depth combat mechanics in an exact way.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

kyleforrester87

Unfortunately I found Shield pretty boring, I got to the fourth gym and stopped playing. Very run of the mill RPG at the end of the day. If you enjoyed the main game and don’t care about the dex cutting nonsense it looks like a nice expansion.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

crimsontadpoles

My expectations for the Pokemon Direct were low. Thankfully it was better than I thought it would be.

DLC expansions are so much better than the previous formula of releasing third/fourth versions with minor changes and a few new monsters. £27 does seem steep though, especially since some bits of the expansions feel like they should have been in the base games (the base games were more expensive than past games, and I didn't think they were as good as the older games). Price also seems high since it involves paying for both expansions and then waiting for the second one to be available. And to add to that, counting the Pokemon Sword expansions pass and the Pokemon Shield expansion pass as separate things and then wanting people who own both games to pay twice to unlock the expansions on both seems rather shady. Then there's also the as of yet unknown cost of Pokemon Home, which presumably needs paying alongside the Pokemon Bank subscription in order to transfer past pokemon (if they're allowed) into the expansions.

On a positive note, the expansions could potentially be fixing quite a few issues I had with Pokemon Shield:

• Hop: Isle of Armor is getting a new rival depending on whether you have Sword or Shield. Both rivals have fantastic designs, and it's pretty much impossible for any new rival to be more annoying than Hop.
  • Lack of exploration: They seem to be focussing more on bigger areas, with hopefully more to explore. The Crown Tundra does have a theme of exploration as well. They mentioned being able to explore deep into pokemon dens, so presumably means more dungeons. It's hard to tell at this stage whether exploration will be great or not, but so far it sounds like a much needed improvement on the base game.
  • Not being able to bring in all your past pokemon: 200 more past pokemon will be available to find in the expansions. And it's surprisingly nice to see that they're making them tradable into the base games, either through Pokemon Bank or from trading with someone who has an expansion. Disappointingly there will still be plenty of past pokemon that can't be transferred over, but at least it's an improvement.
  • Story: Pokemon games aren't known for their plot, but the basic premise of being an apprentice in a dojo has a lot of potential. Also seems like they're toning down the football themes, which I wasn't keen on in the base game.

What has got me most excited though is that it's bringing back all 8 of my favourite pokemon. Pokemon Sword and Shield base games had exactly none of my favourites in it, but that trailer seeming showed them all: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Latios, Latias, and Yveltal.

What has got me most spooked though is that the past legendaries were announced while announcing a new co-op play feature. My big question is can the legendaries be caught by a single player (similar to the raids in the base games), or will they only be obtainable when playing with others (similar to Pokemon Go)? If I can't obtain my legendary bird buddies due to my lack of friends, then this game will likely be a hard pass for me.

Aside from cost and whether raid legendaries can be caught solo, the rest of it looks very promising. Overall it seems like a big improvement. Not sure yet whether I'll want to get the Shield expansion or not.

As for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX, the visuals were utterly gorgeous. I've not played the originals, so I'll be sure to try out the demo and see what I think about it. The only Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game I've played was Gates to Infinity, which wasn't great, but it's also seen as one of the weakest entries in the series. Red and Blue Rescue Team were supposedly much better.

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

Octane

@Ralizah It used to be a $45 game with a $45 sequel ($90 total). So it's still the same, but people are happy because they expected a $60 sequel. I dunno, the main games were kinda bare-bones. So this feels like cut content in a way. They're selling you the post-game as DLC. It used to be part of it.

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

I know little to nothing of Pokemon so happy to be discredited, but as an outsider who read a lot of the original hoo ha about dexit, it is pretty clear that it was because they wanted to sell them all back later. I get that additional games are normally released and that is also expensive, but it seems for a mainline game, the cutting was large and it relies on others to buy it back.

It is quite a clever move though in a way - the people who really care will buy the DLC and those that don't will just ignore it as they would anyway. As a non fan, I couldn't tell you if that is worthwhile so just chipping in my opinion.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

@KratosMD Like you said; the games felt incomplete at launch. So to me this feels like it should've been part of the main game. Remember post-game in gen 2, 3 or 4? That's what this feel like, except it's €30, on top of an already €60 game (what used to be €45).

€30 is still quite steep considering this won't last half as long as the main story, which was already verys hort to begin with.

IMO, the extra content looks good, but I'm not a fan of the pricing, especially since the main game is already way too barebones as it is.

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

@KratosMD Quite possibly and I'm not in the know enough to argue. I think this is the issue with the game industry as a whole right now. This kind of behavious happens a lot in the industry, particularly fighting games, where you have to pay after launch to get content you used to get bundled in the game. It just seems that a very conscious decision was made to cut out something that a lot of people want and now, conveniently, you can get that back by spending money. These decisions are made quite far in advance.

That said, it does seem that Pokemon collecting has been an expensive hobby with all the variations and launches of games etc. so this might be better for fans.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic