Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,721 to 3,740 of 4,328

KratosMD

@Ralizah I just saw that you're getting the upcoming Fire Emblem game. Which of the three houses are you planning on going with first?

I looked up Nintendo's videos on YouTube regarding each house and I think I'm leaning more towards the Golden Deer house on my first playthrough. I really like the main guy's relaxed nature and progressive attitude as he was talking to the viewer, so I want to start out with his house first.

I do wonder if the game is going to let us tour each of the three houses at the start before letting us pick one.

KratosMD

Ralizah

@KratosMD I'm also leaning toward Golden Deer. Solely because Claude is so cute. Yes, I am shallow.

Anyway, based on early previews of the game (there are a lot of them out there now, and they're pretty much all universally glowing), it spends a decent chunk of time early on introducing you to each of the three houses.

I've liked everything I've discovered about the game so far: the somewhat Persona-esque structure of life at the academy, the actively tragic twist that Nintendo has done a poor job of hiding but that, I think, will be what elevates the game to greatness, the changes to the combat (no more Pokemon-esque weapon triangle; a more nuanced system has replaced it), the increase in scale (I just love that you're actually leading an army around now, and also that, at ground level, you can move your units somewhat freely, giving it less of that chess feel), the way you can explore your environment and do all sorts of activities, the surprisingly brutal opening scene to the game, etc. It feels like a massive evolution of what came before in the series, both gameplay wise and narratively.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

KratosMD

@Ralizah Yep, I'm also really liking everything I've seen so far. I seriously love the fact that Nintendo is evolving a lot of their major franchises and FE is no different. It honestly looks like it will be the best FE game ever.

The latest FE game I played was Echoes on the 3DS and it also didn't feature a weapon triangle. It didn't feel like a worse game by any means because of that, I actually liked not being forced to rely on a mechanic like that since it gave me the freedom to be more creative with my approach in battle.

The fact that the game is being released on a system that's spread across a wide audience, not to mention the large install base and that it's launching in a relatively quiet period makes me think that Three Houses is going to be a lot of people's first entry into the series. I'm really excited to see how the game will be received next week.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

Ralizah

@KratosMD While it'll be my fourth Fire Emblem game (fifth if you consider Fates: Conquest and Fates: Birthright to be separate games), it'll be my first home console-style Fire Emblem game, so there's an element of freshness for me as well. But, yeah, with the Switch reviving so much interest in Nintendo and their properties worldwide, I could see this being a touchstone console for young people, sort of like the SNES was for my generation.

I never played Echoes. Partially because I was left VERY disillusioned by the Fates games, and partially because, after playing two full FE campaigns in a row, I didn't want to burn myself out for the Switch entry. Also, I heard the map design wasn't fantastic.

I hope they have plans to eventually do something with Advance Wars again. I'd love to see them transform that series in some huge, ambitious way.

Ralizah

RR529

@JohnnyShoulder, I think I played the original game (which had a similar focus) mostly by myself, so I'm not too worried about that. Plus, some of the reviews I've seen prefered playing singleplayer as it makes the camera more manageable (it apparently stays focused on you, rather than zooming far out as it does in multiplayer to keep everyone in view), and it allows you to swap between your four party members on the fly, which can help to keep things feeling fresh.

I think there's pros & cons to both single & multiplayer.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Ralizah

Dragon Quest XI S seems to be shaping up nicely. Tons of improvements across the board. 2D mode looks great. Seems to perform very well in handheld mode. Orchestrated music sounds great. Apparently there's also a super fast battle mode that has been added to this port. All in all, it seems like SE has gone above and beyond with this port.

Ralizah

RR529

Got my copy of MUA3 in so I played it a bit tonight (playing on "Mighty", hope it doesn't get too hard).

Just cleared the boss fight against Sandman and got to a point I was sure I could save before quitting for the night. Pretty decent beat 'em up/hack & slash so far, though the camera can be a bit wonky & it does this weird thing where your character moves at a crawl if you're moving towards the camera.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

RR529

@Tasuki, I never played MUA2 (just the first one, and then this), so I can't say for sure (I assume not though, from what I've heard).

It starts you out in space with the Guardians of the Galaxy in the first mission, and due to the events within the Infinity Stones end up scattered around Earth and the heroes have to band together to try & collect them before Thanos. That's the basic premise, anyhow.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Tasuki

@RR529 Ok cause two took place right after the first one, it was the Civil War storyline because due to the events of the first game that bill was passed. I wasn't sure if this game was a direct sequel or just UA3 in name.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Tasuki

So apparently this is the reason for the Joy Con drifts

I am kinda shocked that Nintendo has such poor quality control nowadays. I have NES and SNES controllers that are 30+ years old and still work fine. Man what has happened to you Nintendo.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

KratosMD

@Tasuki I think the same thing applies to Sony as well. I feel like the DualShock 4 is poorly built compared to say DualShock 3. I think in general Japanese companies nowadays are getting sloppier with their quality control, which is shocking since companies from Japan constantly advocate high quality on their products.

The fact that Nintendo is charging €70-80 for a Joy Con set is ridiculous too.

Now that I think about it though, the Switch could be considered a rushed system since Nintendo wanted to replace the Wii U as soon as possible. The Switch came out 4.5 years after the Wii U, compared to the 6 years it took for the Wii U to come out after the Wii. It wouldn't surprise me if those additional 1.5 years could have helped to remedy the drift issue before the system got released.

KratosMD

Ralizah

The production issues leading to joycon drift likely wouldn't be any different had Nintendo not released the Switch so early. The commonness of this phenomenon is unacceptable, though, and Nintendo NEEDS to address the issue before the Switch Lite and its integrated controls hits the market.

Ralizah

Ryall

Wonder whether it is caused by people doing something in Nintendo didn’t originally expect. Like moving and clicking the stick simultaneously. Looking at that graphite sensor on the clickable stick that’s the issue that comes to mind.

Ryall

Ralizah

Nintendo is apparently doing repairs on drifting joycon sticks for free now, and will refund people they charged for the repairs in the past. Public pressure is paying off.

Ralizah

Matroska

I've been playing Three Houses for a few hours now and I love it. I've been a FE fan on and off since FE7 on the GBA but I always wanted a richer story and world, and for the characters to more commonly transcend their basic archetype. Well looks like I've got my wish. They're still based on basic archetypes but there's a lot more details on top of that, and you see everyone in far more situations rather than mainly in 3-4 support conversations. The music's great too. The gameplay hasn't been overlooked in favour of story and world building either.

Edited on by Matroska

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

Ralizah

Ahahahahahaha.

Omega Labyrinth Life is getting a full, uncensored release in the N/A eshop on the Switch.

I'm glad Sony didn't end up preventing people outside of asian territories from enjoying this game.

@Matroska Oh man, I'm incredibly jealous you got an early copy.

Enjoy your early access, you lucky jerk.

Ralizah

BranJ0

Reviews for Three Houses are excellent across the board! I've played Sacred Stones, Awakening and all three Fates games, and this looks to have the great world building of Sacred Stones, characters of Awakening and gameplay of Conquest (we don't talk about the rest of Fates yikes), all wrapped in an excellent story! Can't wait to dig into it when my copy arrives tomorrow!

BranJ0

Ralizah

@BranJ0 Birthright's gameplay was just fine. Very Awakening+. Nothing remarkable, but, unlike Conquest, the writing wasn't actively stupid.

Ralizah

Matroska

@Ralizah Hehehe (at getting it early)

@BranJ0 Yeah, though to play Devil's Advocate, Fates got good reviews too IIRC and pretty much every FE fan hates that game with a burning passion - however in this case the reviews are right. Maybe even underrating it a bit. The characters are less one-note than a lot of the Awakening ones, I'd say. Sure, you get stuff like Leonie being obsessed with Jeralt but that's not all there is to her, unlike Gaius who could've been replaced with a sign saying "I like candy". It's the different activities you can do with them, their preferred foods, do they like singing in the choir, would they rather clear the stables or work in the greenhouse, etc, those things make them feel more like actual people than a walking trope. The world building is amazing too, they even have a library where you can read about the history of the world, and additional lore is sprinkled through all the dialogue, even with random NPCs.

Edited on by Matroska

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic