Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,641 to 3,660 of 7,480

HallowMoonshadow

I remember there was a whole brouhaha @Ralizah about the censorship for that. Something about an entire character arc being changed and a costume or two?

Admittedly I was put off by the actual reveal with the whole idol business. I was expecting... Ya know... Anything but that as both properties don't exactly lend themselves to that

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy You and everyone else. I don't think it would have suffered such a cold reaction if it hadn't been built up as a crossover between two fairly dark and hardcore franchises.

On its own terms, though, I think it was a decent game. Never finished it, though. I need to revisit it on Wii U and finish it up one day.

A dungeon and subplot themed around gravure modeling was altered drastically. And, in general, several clothes and enemies were altered (sometimes very poorly) to remove even very light cleavage.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

I heard the gameplay was actually pretty stellar for it @Ralizah which is a shame.

Whilst I haven't or never will buy a console just for one particular game (I need a nice pool of games I want before I commit to a console)... Tokyo Mirage Session #Fe would've been the game to tip the Wii U into "ok guess I can't ignore the console any longer"

I unfortunately did end up ignoring the Wii U as you know 😂 (Thankfully the switch is more just a case of when I'll get it)

Ralizah wrote:

I don't think it would have suffered such a cold reaction if it hadn't been built up as a crossover between two fairly dark and hardcore franchises

Couldn't agree with you more. Being it's own thing would've helped the reputation if it by a mile.

Not sure if that would've done enough for me to hedge my bets on it though. The basic premise is still a bit too goofy sounding for my tastes

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I wouldn't say "stellar." It's alright. Pretty decent. Dungeon design and combat is better than any of the Persona games I've played (most of the first one, some of Innocent Sin, ten hours or so into P3, all of P4/Golden, and all of Persona 5), imo, but it's missing a lot of the style and the social sim stuff that made the later games in that series stand out. Atlus is my favorite JRPG developer by a country mile, so even a middle-of-the-road effort from them is still usually pretty good.

RE: the game being goofy. It... absolutely is. Bordering on cringe-inducing at points. It's part of the game's charm, I think.

In truth, most people seem to watch this musical sequence from the game on youtube and then bail out ASAP

With most of the characters being performers, concerts, singing, and showmanship are woven deeply into the fabric of the game. Interestingly, battles in the dungeons are sort of framed as performances put on by the party. Complete with dynamic and panning camera shots of the action.

Wii U actually had a lot of good exclusives if you're open to Nintendo franchises. Super Mario 3D World was a compelling blend of 2D/3D Mario design. Pikmin 3 is probably my favorite RTS. Xenoblade Chronicles X is... overwhelming in many respects, but a really ambitious game with a grand scale to everything. Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD are the best versions of those games. I've not played Wonderful 101 yet, but I've heard good things. And, of course, there are the numerous excellent Wii U exclusives like Hyrule Warriors, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario Bros. U, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, etc. that were ported to Switch.

It definitely suffered from a lack of quality third party support, but, until the Switch, that was par for the course with Nintendo's 3D consoles. I never felt like it was a wasted investment. The GamePad was a bit of a wasted concept, but it really was brilliantly used in a few games (it sort of functions like a smartphone in TMS, where you can check text messages and whatnot).

Besides, it's my go-to console for Wii games as well, so I'd never give mine up.

Switch is better, of course. It has most of my favorite games this gen.

I mainly bought my PS4 for Persona 5, Silent Hills (sigh), and Gravity Rush 2, but, as you know, I eventually branched out to other games. In general, I usually find games I want to play on consoles even if I mainly bought them to play one or two particular games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@Kidfried Yeah it is a fair point, I am sure there will be points that I'll wish it was on a big screen if that makes sense. For me, I just so badly struggle with large open world games because of the time committment that portability makes it the most likely way I will finish them. A little like I don't have time to go to the cinema for many films so seeing them on the smaller screen is a compromise I have to make. Though I suppose that some PC gamers might say the same for TW3 when it comes to the base console equivalents?

Team Yennifer all the way though.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

HallowMoonshadow

I was a bit tired at that point as it was quarter to 1 in the morning when I wrote that @Ralizah... by gameplay I meant the combat lol

Only 10 hours of Persona 3?! b-but that's the one with actual character arcs and stuff! They aren't just bundles of tropes in anime human form!

... The song made me cringe so hard I had to stop halfway through... Sorry TMS#Fe but I can't handle that whilst on playground duty

The battle was better... bit confused at where the song came from though. Is it like P3 where you only control the protagonist in battle and the other party members do whatever or was I just being a big dumb?

Nice to hear the different takes between you and @KratosMD about the Wii U.

I wouldn't actually mind trying a Wii U for stuff that hasn't been ported over to switch (Yet) Like Mario 3D World, Xenoblade Chronicles X or even stuff that already has like Hyrule Warriors, MK8 etc

Plus it'd actually get me to replay my Wii games too... Now it's completely finished with though they probably aren't as cheap as they could've been earlier lol

Again loved hearing the opposite opinion and considering it A Dork/Dark Age @KratosMD. I think most would, especially after the runaway success that the Switch has become and what the Wii was! I kinda regret my Wii purchase for the most part... I think Brawl was the only game I played quite a bit and the port of RE4 was great too!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I can see why the battle gameplay would confuse you a bit. No, you control all of the characters. But the battle system is built around using skills that hit enemy weaknesses and trigger automatic follow-up combos from teammates if certain conditions are met. It's this game's MegaTen weakness-exploitation mechanic, and it's a good deal less exploitable than "one more"s from the later Persona games. I mean, like all MegaTen, you can probably design a party load out that can steamroll almost anything later on, but, from the start, you probably won't be getting full session combos.

I don't think most people would debate late-gen Wii U being a bit of a dark time for fans of the company, which is when most of those lazy or uninspired sequels released as, in retrospect, it was clear Nintendo was slowly funneling development resources toward Switch games so that it could have a blow out first year. I won't deny there were some less than stellar games. But the system also had some absolutely spectacular titles on it that couldn't (at the time, and you still can't with some of them) be experienced on another system.

I wouldn't call it my favorite system. But, as an owner of multiple platforms, I think it still has a lot of value, and I'd much rather own one than something like the Xbox One or N64 (my least favorite Nintendo console), which I feel have very little to offer me.

I probably wouldn't suggest anyone go buy it now when it's clear that Nintendo is probably going to port all of its games off to the more successful Switch, similar to how Sony and third parties sent all of the PS Vita's worthwhile exclusives to other, more successful platforms, though.

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

Again loved hearing the opposite opinion and considering it A Dork/Dark Age

I dunno. I think we're still deep in the midst of a Dork Age, Foxy.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@KratosMD

• A new song
  • At least one new dungeon
  • Additional characters, like Tiki, show up in battle
  • Some QOL changes
  • "Additional story elements"

I'm guessing there's more, but that's all people could really glean from the trailer.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

I think I"ve mentioned it at least once before on here but I've actually got a N64 @Ralizah . Got it 7 years back. A Pikachu one with Pokémon Stadium for only £30.

I was going to get a bunch of titles for it like Majora's mask, Mario Kart 64 and the likes... buuuuut I never got round to it.

The console is now worth like £70/80 just by itself 😅

I'm not much of a collector and I don't really like the thought of it just lying there collecting dust (Figuratively at least, it's quite secure) so I should probably find it a good home soon

Ralizah wrote:

But the battle system is built around using skills that hit enemy weaknesses and trigger automatic follow-up combos from teammates if certain conditions are met

Good to know, sounds quite intersting! Dunno if for a turn based rpg that'd be enough to entice me to try it when I'm not terribly found of the premise... At least they're adding things to the switch port of it too compared to some of the other ports this gen

The Wii was my first home nintendo console technically @KratosMD . The SNES was my dad's and it didn't hold my interest.

I probably should've played more then just Brawl, Twilight Princess, Re:4, Resident evil Darkside Chronicles & House of the Dead 2&3 for Wii but I had so many problems with the Wiimote playing up and a number of nunchucks buggering up and breaking on me that I gave up on it which was a pity

Kidfried

I can see both ways on the Wii U. I mean, let's not forget it had Breath of the Wild. Many tend to forget that.

And I also think that just like the Wii U the Switch now has quite a few forgettable Nintendo exclusives. Super Mario Party for instance wasn't any better than Party 10.

Switch has-been out for over 2,5 years. By that time Nintendo had already released Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, 3D World, Tropical Freeze and Splatoon on Wii U. A pretty solid lineup.

Still of course... I consider Wii U a failure too. Technically most of all, which it showed most in the latter half of its lifecycle.

That will be a challenge for Nintendo in the next year's too. Because maybe CDProjektRed can make Witcher 3 happen on Switch, but don't expect that to be possible for Cyberpunk or even next-gen games.

Still Switch is way superior to Wii U of course, and I think thanks to third party support will have a much healthier lifecycle. Whereas the Wii U... crashed.

Hm, I can see both sides on it I guess.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

Rudy_Manchego wrote:

Have fond memories of exploring dungeons on the toilet in Skyrim

@Rudy_Manchego Imagine that in VR!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

@Kidfried The port of Witcher 3 is a bit of an anomaly and a show of good faith from CDProjektRed, I think. It's not the norm, and the Switch would have sold just as well without these few "impossible" ports. Which is why I think it'll be largely fine once PS5/Scarlett roll around. Switch isn't getting 90%+ of the AAA games going to other systems anyway, so the increased performance gap next gen won't matter. Japanese AA, indies, and ports of older games will easily be playable on Switch at a lower resolution than on competing platforms, like they are now.

Of course, by the time PS5/Scarlett are out, the Switch will be almost 4 years old, so I'd expect more powerful hybrid hardware a couple years into the next generation.

RE: Wii U... it'd be awful as an all-in-one machine, given the abysmal third-party support it received, but, as an exclusives machine, I think I preferred it to the PS4. Although, given that half of them are available on Switch in enhanced hybrid form now, I can't really recommend it to people unless they want a single Nintendo console that's able to play decades worth of Nintendo games, given the Wii BC and robust Virtual Console.

Edited on by Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@JohnnyShoulder Well if I was on the bog playing Skyrim VR and encountered a Frostbite Spider then I wouldn’t need to worry about constipation...

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

ShogunRok

Thanks for the shoutout @Ralizah! Very much enjoyed playing The Witcher 3 again and writing up a review for the Nintendo Life lads.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@ShogunRok Showing them how it's done.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

It was quite... amusing I guess would be the most appropriate word, to look at the comments and see everyone ask you how the Witcher 3 compares to all the other ports to the switch and correctly guess that you didn't know much about them @ShogunRok

Also the kyle comment in there was hilarious after the "what are you playing" weekend shenanigans 😂

-Edit Oh and nice review by the way!

RR529

Finished up the main story of Astral Chain this evening! Still processing it all, but man was that final boss rough (it had a move that always one shots you if it hits), albiet cool.

Not sure how deep I'll bother with post game, but I'll probably go back to previous chapters to nab any cats & toilets I missed my first time through.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

carlos82

So with all the recent discussions about the monetisation of different aspects of games, whether it be loot boxes, deluxe editions, fighting games selling popular characters as dlc, how do we feel about a potential £80+ paywall to access the gigantamax forms of the very popular Pikachu and Eevee?

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

Ralizah

I have no real issue with LGPE saved unlocking something exclusive. They unlock spirits in SSBU, too.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic