Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,561 to 3,580 of 7,479

Rudy_Manchego

@Knuckles-Fajita I guess that is a limitation but I would probably state that it was a quality of life improvement since they could have ignored the extra buttons. For example, I would lump the Shadow of the Collossus remake in the Link's Awakening camp but the controls are a little better for example.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

carlos82

I in know way think they should have changed how it plays, just that a game which is largely based around exploration could have benefited from mixing things up a little bit. For myself in particular I'm very familiar with the original game so I basically know exactly where to go and what to do all the time. Don't get me wrong I'm still having a lot of fun with it, it's just a shame they didn't take the opportunity to add some new areas or mix things up a little for returning players.

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

kyleforrester87

As someone who played ALTTP once 20+ years ago, a straight remake like this is absolutely fine, I couldn’t want more. It actually does have extra content, as I never played the Color dungeon. Not that I remember the majority of it anyway!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Hego

Finally joining in this topic now I've a Switch been playing Link's Awakening as well over the last few days and I'm loving it so far. Never played the original and I've played very few Zelda games in general, so this is feeling very novel to me. Love the aesthetic of the game, it looks so fun and inviting to explore, and I feel like it's more satisfying to control than gameboy Zelda's? I'm putting that down to the feel of the Switch controls.
Did find the first puzzle with the Raccoon tricky to figure out but since that I've found it relatively easy to work through, apart from my never-ending capacity to fall into holes!

Edited on by Hego

Hego

PSN: Duke-of-Styria

Ralizah

@Hego The big difference, I hear, is that you can actually just use your gear once you get it instead of having to pause and equip different items constantly (and I mean CONSTANTLY; there's so much pausing and menu management in LA on the GB). You also, from what I hear, don't have to read some half-minute long textbox telling you to equip a certain item if you try to grab objects without it equipped. And don't have to sit through endless textboxes of the owl delivering useless information over and over because you accidentally clicked through his spiel too fast and told him you needed him to repeat the information.

The puzzles in this game are a bit more challenging than in most 2D Zeldas. A place called Eagle's Tower really baffled me for a long time, although, in hindsight, what I needed to do was absolutely obvious.

Probably my least favorite of the decent Zelda games (read: not Zelda I, II, Triforce Heroes, or the CDi games), but I'm glad to see people enjoying it for the first time in this clearly improved form.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

I finished up Link's Awakening Last night. Really enjoyed the game, I think largely to the world and art style. Obviously a solid early Zelda game by gameplay. I got a little bored with the last dungeon and figuring that out but that is more my own stupidity than a design of the game.

I then downloaded Untitled Goose Game as I'll have a few hours away this weekend to play it.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Hego I'm guessing that's unlikely. Falcom has no desire to work with Nintendo, and the only reason we got Ys VIII is because NIS ports almost everything to the Switch. But they won't port Trails 3 without Trails 1/2 (probably), and Marvelous, the company that publishes the first two games outside of Japan, isn't known for taking on the burden of developing brand new console ports.

With that said, I think Switch ports are the only way I'd be willing to play these games. PS4 is great, but I don't really like using it to play long JRPGs. I might make an exception for Ys IX, given how much I loved the Switch version of VIII and how it'll be an action game that's more appropriate on powerful hardware anyway, but that's about it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ryall

Falcom build their games for one platform in Japanese and then move on. Porting and translation have always been done and paid for by publishers after the game’s Japanese release. Which makes it really difficult to predict what will happen and when.
@Hego @Ralizah

Ryall

belmont

And my Switch finally broke... It is the only console I had that failed. My launch Gameboy still works fine but a 2017 system broke easily.

Since I bought it the joycons had issues seemed clumsy and did not attatch that well. The dock scratched my screen protector a second time. Also both cons have this drift issue. It is hilarious having Miriam or Rex running around randomly!

Also somehow it stopped charging, the console AC input managed to bend! The whole unit was way hot in the touch. Moreover all screws in the side of the cons have humidity for some reason.

It is still in warranty though but except the drifting I think they may charge me.

Before all this I beat Link's Awakening thoughand it was a perfect nostalgia trip. The original is one of my favourite games.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

Tasuki

@belmont Wow that sucks. I didn't realize they made the Switch so shoddy. I guess Nintendo just doesn't have the same quality standards they had years ago.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

belmont

@Tasuki It clearly sucks. Everything that was reported to be a malfunction hardware wise for the console it happened to me. I was way unlucky.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

Haruki_NLI

Nice extremes. This is the first case I've heard of everything failing on a unit.

Naturally though this "shoddy" hardware that "sucks" is down to it's timing. For the concept it needed a chipset that was capable enough, but that runs hot. But a cooler more efficient variant wasn't ready to ship until...let's see...2019. Reckon they should have coasted on 3DS and the corpse of Wii U for over 2 years before releasing Switch in its current refined factor with the smaller and cooler chipset?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

mookysam

@KratosMD Not played them on Switch but I have played 1 and 2 on smartphone. 1 is extremely dated (and also quote short) but it's interesting as the progenitor of the Japanese RPG. It only vaguely tells you where to go and what to do, and you only play one character. The story is also minimal, but the new script has all the flair you'd expect from any modern Dragon Quest localisation. Some of the NPC dialogue is hilarious!

2 is an improvement, particularly in the story department and is less vague in how the game progresses. You also now battle with a defined party of (though can name the characters).

Dragon Quest 3 is supposed to be the best one and routinely pops up on "all-time great" lists in Japan.

Honestly, I'd save yourself some money and get them for your phone. The prices are alarmingly inflated on the Switch.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

Yeah, the Switch prices are about in line with what they cost on Google Play in the States as well, so I don't see where this idea of "alarmingly inflated prices" is coming from, unless it's a regional thing somewhere else. I own DQII on my phone, but I hate playing games on my phone, so I'm debating just repurchasing it on Switch. I did beat DQI on my phone, though, and it's... incredibly basic. Interesting as a historical artifact and little else.

@belmont Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you got a bum unit. Thankfully, aside from some light joycon drift (which I alleviated with some compressed air), my launch unit has never had any issues.

I also purchased a 360 when half of the things were RRODing and also had no issues with it, so I guess I'm just lucky with hardware.

Only console that has ever fully crapped out on me is my Lite PS2.

Edited on by Ralizah

mookysam

@Ralizah The prices on Google Play have actually gone up since I purchased them in 2014, which I wasn't aware of when making that comment. At the time DQ1 was £1.99 (it's only listed on my Google account as 300 Yen) and DQ2 was £2.99. Now they aren't too far off the Switch pricing (DQ1 is £1 more on the Switch which is the biggest difference). Apologies for my confusion.

@belmont Yikes. My unit has some problems. The biggest is that it's actually bent a little, which I'm guessing is a combination of heat from the unit and tension from holding the joycons in handheld mode. The joycons themselves are now also a little loose when connecting to the unit.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@mookysam I actually just noticed that I own all three DQ games on Android.

Ugh. Maybe I'll just play them on there after all. It's not like they'll be on my radar anytime soon now that DQXI S is available, anyway.

Hego

I’m on dungeon 5 of Links Awakening and I’m loving the rhythm of it, hope we see some more older Zeldas on Switch soon. Also has anyone tried Northgard on Switch yet? Played the first story mission and it seems to work well as an RTS on Switch, love the idea of a Viking themed RTS!
Last thing, my friend code is SW-6988-4295-6095 so feel free to add me chaps, need to fill up my friends list!

Hego

Ralizah

@Hego I'll be shocked if we don't eventually get The Wind Waker HD/Twilight Princess HD, considering almost everything else on the Wii U has been ported. Nintendo seems to want a Zelda release every year, so if BotW2 isn't a 2020 game, I could seem them announcing these next year.

Hego

@Ralizah I’m really hoping for that, I’d love to be able to play all the major zeldas at some point on Switch!

Hego

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic