Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,501 to 3,520 of 3,545

RR529

Built my LABO VR blaster yesterday. Took me all afternoon but I felt really satisfied when I got it done (I never got any large LEGO kits or anything like that as a kid, so it sort of felt like a childhood wish fulfillment, lol), and the blaster game itself is quite fun. It looks to be really short though, so I only played through to the second boss (resolution is low, but things look mostly good in the brightly colored city streets. A low point has been the two underground levels, which are fun, but a terrible idea to have such dark levels in such a low resolution set, but the high point have been the bosses, which are bold, big, and even as a PSVR owner legitimately impressive).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder That's pretty nifty. Didn't know that about the wishlist, thanks!

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Something I wish Sony would introduce for the store on the PS4.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

mookysam

Yeah, the Switch eshop is a mess. With the vast amount of stuff being added each week it's starting to become a real chore to wade through it.

@JohnnyShoulder There is a wishlist on the PlayStation app. It's much nicer to use than the store on the console.

@RogerRoger With Super Mario Bros. games take your time and time jumps. They are a little tricky, but I'd still say Super Mario World is one of the best platformers.

mookysam

PSN: mookysam

Ralizah

The PS4 Store on the system itself is probably the most unintuitive webstore I've ever seen. Absolute nightmare to browse through. I buy everything through the PS Store website, which is much nicer,

Switch's eshop... would be OK if it had better filtering options. As it stands, it's becoming a bit like Steam in terms of the sheer volume of releases every week. Honestly, Nintendo should highlight the real gems that release in a separate section somewhere, as I imagine it's easy for good indies to drown in a sea of mobile ports and shovelware now.

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@mookysam Thanks for the tip! Considering that almost all of my 2D platforming experience comes from Sonic, my muscle memory was making me play Mario wrong. I just ran at things expecting to maintain a certain pace, but many of the obstacles I faced were easily solved when I went back and took my time. I'll keep that in mind if / when I continue!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@mookysam I'm on about specifically the store on the PS4. I am aware that there is a wish list on the web store and the app, but it does not tie onto the ps4 store and I don't like using those cos every time I go on there it asks me to sign in, which involves 3 of those annoying captcha things.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Rudy_Manchego

OK, so on my time away in the deep dark countryside, I played Katana Zero end to end and it has gone straight in as my favourite game I've played this year. I loved the gameplay, the difficulty curve, the story and the music. Was also about the right length for me as well.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

mookysam

@JohnnyShoulder Those captcha things are really annoying. The app shouldn't keep signing you out though. Could it be a cookie issue?
There's not really much excuse for the PS4 store being so bad that people are driven to use the app or website, so hopefully it will improve on the PS5. The app is nice and intuitive to use so I buy everything on it, then click "download to PS4" so when I turn my console on it will automatically download without having to faff around.

@Rudy_Manchego How difficult is Katana Zero and are there good checkpoints? It sounds a little intimidating!

mookysam

PSN: mookysam

Rudy_Manchego

@mookysam I found the difficulty curve pretty good. It builds up easily enough and then ramps up difficulty. There are some sections which are pretty difficult and took me multiple goes but that is somewhat the point, you struggle to overcome a particular scenario then hit the next one. However, the reward for doing it properly is good because you feel like a expert when it all comes together. Also, failure is part of the game and so there is no loading times and respawn is like a second away. It ran great on Switch too.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

RR529

Played the Boxboy+Boxgirl demo tonight. It's aesthetically simple yet charming, and pretty fun.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

RR529

Played some BotW in VR tonight (for about 40 mins) and I must say I came away really impressed. Things are a bit blurry, but much better than I anticipated (I never had problems distinguishing things in my immediate vicinity, and even battled a silver bokoblin, one of those big muscular Yiga Clan guys, and a mini-guardian in a shrine). In addition to the combat scenarios I did a lot of gliding, visited a great fairy fountain, and warped to one of the Divine Beasts looking up at it, which was a really cool moment (I also put the camera low to the ground and just ran through the grass, which was awesome). I doubt I'll play through the game again like this (I rarely replay games as it is), but I'll definitely come back to fool around in it like this more than I will the LABO VR games proper.

Also started up Boxboy+Boxgirl as well. I've never played any of the 3DS entries, but I found the demo charming enough so I decided to give it a go. Pretty good so far.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

RogerRoger

I'm buying a Switch in the next couple days (not for me) and beyond the usual suspects, can anybody recommend any great games to really show off the power and unique features of the console?

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

Binged through the main single player portion of Boxboy+Boxgirl this weekend. I really enjoyed my time with it, and completing it unlocked a second single player story, so it looks like I still have more to do.

Also just ordered a physical copy of Onimusha: Warlords from Amazon Japan. I've always wanted to try the series since the PS2 days, and I've always wanted to import a game from Japan (just because I think it's cool), and since the this HD rerelease is budget priced and has an English option, I figured it was time to bite.

@RogerRoger, outside of the big first party stuff (which I'm sure you know about), I was particularly impressed with the performance of Dragonball FighterZ (it would also be a good to show off tabletop 2 player mode with the Joy-Con).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Rudy_Manchego

@RogerRoger Hmmm tough one. If you mean physical games, with power, then Doom and Skyrim show how well software can be run on the system. Of course, they exist on like a million other systems so maybe not that impressive.

I really like Bayonetta 1 and 2 on Switch though you have to buy it new and make sure it has the download code.

If you can go digital there are some great ports and originals. They even managed to get Hellblade running on it!

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Is Mario + Rabbids one of the "usual suspects?" It's an Ubisoft exclusive, and it's one of the best-looking games on the system.

Senua's Sacrifice is a great port that shows off some unbelievably good visuals on a small, handheld system.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is really cool as well. It performs almost the same as the PS4 version, but on a small, handheld system, with no cut features or anything like that.

Beyond those, the strengths of the system are evidence any time you play games away from the TV.

Oh, if your friend likes controller diversity, he or she should know that the system is compatible with a range of controllers with the right adapters. I've managed to play games on it using controllers from the Gamecube and PS4. It's also compatible with 8bitdo's product line, so wireless pads from them are in as well. I use the SNES30, a wireless SNES controller, and the M30, which is very much like a Sega Saturn controller with a rolling D-Pad.

For the HD rumble, my favorite usage of it in a real game is found in a small indie called Tumbleseed. The best usage of it is a mini-game in 1, 2, Switch, but that title isn't worth paying real money for. Tumbleseed, on the other hand, is fun if you like rougelike-ish games.

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Unravel 2 has a good port for the Switch.

it's also a bit of a shmup darling now, and you can get Thunder Force IV on it - whether that gives you any mileage for the intended recipient however...

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@RR529 @Rudy_Manchego @Ralizah @KALofKRYPTON Thank you all for your replies. I've been able to go over a couple of your suggestions with her and it's really helped. Neither of us are very knowledgeable about Nintendo or the Switch (my own experience is limited to whatever my partner wants to play on his, which are almost exclusively the first-party "big names" like Mario, Zelda, etc.) so to get a wider sense of what's available, without having to wade through the shovelware on the eShop, is invaluable.

I'll definitely be throwing in a Pro Controller for her, because I've found one of those to be utterly indispensable (and double thanks to @Ralizah for the controller compatibility tip, which I've also let her know about). We'll see how she gets on!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic