Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,461 to 3,480 of 7,477

belmont

@KratosMD It still need an update though so that sort of defeats the physical medium argument anyway and the physical copy is more expensive. To be honest I don't know how "reliable" is the Switch physical disk. The console itself does not seem that future proof.

belmont

Ralizah

So, the rumors were right. Ori and the Blind Forest is Switch-bound in September. Which is pretty cool.

Hopefully we also get Rare Replay!

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

@Tasuki Game is $20 on Steam normally. Can't imagine why it wouldn't cost the same on here.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@Tasuki DOOM launched at the same $60 price on all three platforms. The fact that it had time to sink in price on Xbone/PS4 isn't really relevant. When the Skyrim remaster launched on PS4, it launched at $60 as well, even though a PS3/360 copy could be obtained for relative peanuts. That's just the way it is with reworked ports to newer platforms.

Ori launched at $20 on Xbone/PC. Again, there's no reason to think it won't launch on Switch at that price. Especially if it doesn't have a physical version, which is usually the only reason for the "Switch Tax" on indie games in the first place.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

Plus the game is being published by Xbox Game Studios, so price will be maintained as it was with the other Xbox titles, though they were published by Mojang and Studio MDHR. This is the first to flat out say Xbox, being an Xbox owned IP and all.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Tasuki

A demo for Dragon Quest XI S is now available on eShop and from what I heard it's 10 hours long and you will be able to carry over your progress to the main game.

I am very excited for this as I passed on the PS4 version to get this version. Not sure if anyone else is in the same boat as me or if you all have played it already but still the demos free if you want to try it on Switch.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Tasuki

@KratosMD So many times I almost bought the PS4 version but I kept hearing the Switch will be the definitive version so I waited. Plus the fact that you can, no pun intended switch between 3D and 2D gameplay just sealed the deal for me.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Ralizah

@KratosMD Honestly, just the orchestrated music will probably make it a vastly better experience. Combine that with the fact that pretty much every aspect of the game has been touched up in some way, and all the extra content exclusive to this version, and it's hard to argue against this being the definitive version, content-wise (it obviously looks a bit nicer on PS4).

Looks good undocked, too, which was my big concern before this demo. I'm not concerned anymore. This is a gorgeous game however you happen to play it.

Edited on by Ralizah

mookysam

Was surprised they dropped such a lengthy demo! Started it yesterday evening. First impressions - whilst it is quite a visual downgrade from the PS4 version across the board and rather blurry in handheld, it retains the overall look of the original extremely nicely. Honestly, I'm impressed at what they pulled off and it is evident that hard work was put into this. It runs okay too, but seems smoother undocked.

The sound is fairly compressed and has a slightly "tinny" quality - particularly with spoken dialogue. The orchestrated music comes with this trade-off, and while it is naturally nicer than the original MIDI, it remains one of the series' weakest scores regardless. I'm not sure it's the game-changer people are expecting.

Not encountered any new content just yet, but did notice a few tweaks here and there. For instance battles can now be sped up. The original was never slow, but it's a good addition and would make grinding much quicker. There's also a basic photo mode, which is nice. Will carry on playing and see what else I notice!

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

Good video illustrating the big visual differences between versions. Primarily it comes down to lighting and foliage density. Resolution is also lower in handheld mode, although the smaller screen helps with that.

As with The Witcher 3, it seems like the publisher managed to translate the visual identity of the game to the Switch version extremely successfully.

@mookysam Music sounded great when I was playing on the TV or with headphones on in handheld mode. The orchestration makes it so much nicer for me. Voice acting, too.

I like the music here a good deal more than VIII Also more than DQI, although that went without saying. Those are the two other games in the series I've played, so I can't speak to the others.

Edited on by Ralizah

mookysam

@Ralizah Symphonic Suite Dragon Quest VII is brilliant. It's possibly the best music in the series. Even if you never play the game I'd recommend giving it a listen.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RR529

Just finished up Blaster Master Zero earlier tonight. Still letting my more detailed thoughts on it digest, but it's safe to say I enjoyed it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

Man, the future is incredible. I can't believe we're getting DQ XI, The Witcher 3, and DOOM Eternal on a Nintendo handheld! I'm incredibly tempted to play through Witcher 3 on my Lite, just for the novelty of the experience.

I completed DQXI's demo after nine or so hours. What an absolutely splendid game! It's a lot like VIII, but improved in almost every way. I especially like the forging minigame more than alchemy.

Edited on by Ralizah

RR529

Got paid today so I ordered Astral Chain. Should have it sometime next week.

Also, I was going to try out the new costumes added to MUA3 today, but apparently they're locked behind a new set of uber difficult Infinity Trials, so there goes that idea.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

Shantae and the Seven Sirens is looking excellent. Definitely the return to form I was hoping for, based on this clip.

Also, here's off-screen gameplay of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in handheld mode.

Not sure how CDProjektRed pulled this trick off. So-called "wizards" Panic Button had to halve the framerate of Doom 2016 to get it running on the system, but here there seem to be a minimal number of sacrifices (I mean, obviously it looks worse than it does on a home console, just like home console looks worse than on a PC, but it's impressive that a fully handheld version of this game is running well at all).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic