Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,441 to 3,460 of 7,477

Octane

The event Pokemon are really stupid. There's no story or lore behind them. They're just there. Wasn't there an electric cat in SM? What's it doing there? What's the point of its existence?

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Event Pokemon, up to Gen 5 anyway, had lore. Gen 6 had snippets for Hoopa and barely any for Diancie and Volcanion who literally just existed.

Then Gen 7 happened. The only event Pokemon that got explained any was Meltan and Melmetal. Zeraora, Marshadow, Magearna....all just exist.

Compare that to the event interactions with Keldeo in BW2, the lore dump on Genesect, finding and defending Victini from Team Plasma, the dream sequence with Darkrai....it's a huge diwngrade.

We went from full events to "Here's a guy giving you it and some lore" to just "Here's a guy giving you it".

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah I didn’t want to watch much of that because of spoilers, I like the look of the motorbike section though.

I’ve got a £30 back when you spend £60 or more cash back code for Very so I’m going to get this and Control on order.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 I'm glad this is releasing in August before the mad rush of big games trying to capitalize on the release of the Switch Lite the following month. I worry for the sales of any games not called Link's Awakening in September.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ryall

Link’s Awakening is a great game but a lot of people have already played it. I certainly don’t feel the need to buy a game I already own just because it’s now available in colour. @Ralizah

Edited on by Ryall

Ryall

Ralizah

@Ryall I dunno about Link's awaiting, but Link's Awakening has actually been available in color since 1998.

It's one of my least favorite Zelda games, personally, but the new visual style is great, and you know people are going to flock to it regardless.

For me, September is all about Dragon Quest XI S and maybe Ni no Kuni (two JRPGs at once seems overkill, but I'm dying to play NnK). Maybe the Spyro Trilogy, depending on how big it is and how well it performs in handheld mode.

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah Links Awakening is obviously the second best Zelda game after BOTW

To be fair, I played it in maybe 1996, so while I remember parts of it (and enjoying it all immensely) it's going to be fun revisiting it.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Tasuki

@KratosMD Don't confuse yourself, they ain't VC titles in the sense that they were on the Wii or even the Wii U. You can't purchase them and the only way you get them is if you pay for an online subscription and then you get access to them.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RR529

I think I just have the final boss fight left in MUA3. This last mission has essentially been one boss fight after another (though luckily with a save spot after each one).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Kidfried

@Ralizah The gameplay of Astral Chain, from what I saw, really looks like it could make it a GOTY contender.

I don't think you can say much about graphics in handheld based on the guy's video. Video takes up 1/4th of the screen. Every game looks better at a quarter of its resolution.

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried Well, if you fullscreen the video, it's supposed to mimic what it's like to play a game in handheld mode if you put your face very close to the screen. We won't be able to tell resolution from this video, but the lighting, framerate, etc. all seem on point. And even if it isn't native res, it's clearly not low res enough to look bad in the sections he's showing off.

Although you're right that we won't definitively know how the handheld aspect of the experience holds up until the game actually releases. It could be like Xenoblade 2 and drop sharply in resolution at points, for example.

Anyway, the best thing about Astral Chain so far is the music. I'm not a huge action game fan, though, so even though it looks better than Bayonetta, I'm... just a tad hesitant to pick it up at the moment. I'll want to hear more about it first.

RR529

Just cleared the main story in MUA3 last night. Not one of the top tier exclusives on the system, but it was pretty fun. I put more detailed thoughts in the "Games you Recently Beat" thread.

Won't have the money for a big new game for another two weeks (this paycheck is going mostly to necessities), so I'll probably just mess around with the Infinity Trials, maybe do some spirit hunting in Smash, but more than likely cave in and buy a cheap indie to hold me over that I may or may not complete, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah I love Nier and Transformers, but I hate Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, so while I’m pretty optimistic about Astral Chain it could really go both ways..

kyleforrester87

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 I'll be interested to hear your opinion on it as a fellow Bayonetta hater (I don't actually HATE Bayonetta, but the almost universally positive reception those games have received baffles me; the plot is incoherent, the setpieces suck, the presentation is inconsistent, and, outside of battling, there's very little to actually draw me in to the games).

belmont

After the random drift problem I have another bizzare issue with the switch. Seems that the dock somehow scratched the screen! I simply replaced the screen protector with a tampered glass one but it is strange. Also the fan in the switch makes loud noises and the system is very hot, especially in the metal area when the joycons connect. This seem to happen randomly in games that so not really push the system like Atelier or Messenger.

In the recent discounts I got ys viii for 25 pounds. I have it on vita and runs bad. And it runs bad in the switch too! I should have gotten the PS4 version.

Beating Bloodstained and Timespinners made me want to try Metroidvania games I missed. I got Messenger, Chasm and Angellos in the recent switch discounts. I really like the first one, it has a strange charm in it. I am not sure I could recommend Angellos. I don't know what happens later in the game but I have never seen a Metroidvania game without a map. It doesn't make any sense at all!

As for Bayonetta... A good action game, nothing special. From the upcoming games... I love Link's Awakening, I still play it from time to time. Apart from the two N64 games iti is the only Zelda I really like. I was hesitent at the beginning to get it and the 50 pound price tag did not help, but as the release date approaches I may order it. I also want Dragon Quest but I am afraid they will release the extra content as DLC for the PS4 version and I will waste some money.

Edit: I just realised I can get both Link's Awakening and Dragon Quest for 84 pounds with some kind of voucher eshop promotion thing...

Edited on by belmont

belmont

RR529

Aaand, I gave in and got an eShop game, Blaster Master Zero. I've really enjoyed the Inti Creates games I've played so far (Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon & Mighty Gunvolt Burst), and this looks like it's going to be really good as well from what I've played so far.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Ralizah

@RR529 I liked BMZ. It was one of the earliest notable Switch eshop games, so it really had a good minute to stand out and get noticed by the masses. The writing is hilariously bad, but the game itself is good fun. Quite a bit better than MGB (although Curse of the Moon is probably my favorite game from them; it's such a good little tribute to NES era Castlevania, but without the infuriating and often unfair design choices that made them age somewhat poorly).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic