Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,181 to 3,200 of 3,446

kyleforrester87

@JohnnyShoulder i kind of agree with @Kidfried. I got Ultimate on Friday (my first SB game) and while I am enjoying it, and there is a lot of SP content in terms of hours to collect everything, I am not sure if it would keep you hooked for the duration. Clearly competitive multiplayer is where the real mileage comes from and I'm unlikely to play much of that.

So if you are sticking to SP, it depends how much fun you find experimenting with different characters and collecting spirits I guess.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Kidfried

@Octane @Knuckles-Fajita I love Katamari, but I'd rather play We Love Katamari or Beautiful Katamari again. (Although these games probably look better in my mind than on PS2/360)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

KratosMD

@Kidfried Naturally I don't agree with your post. I've played Brawl for 700 hours by simply playing on my own against AI and I had tons of fun. The AI in this game is decent. I don't know if you've played against one that's level 9, but they provide a hefty amount of challenge. And the thing is, @JohnnyShoulder doesn't have an interest in multiplayer, so becoming better against other people wouldn't matter to him. Because in your story, you talk about becoming better against your friend. But Johnny won't be playing against friends, so that comparison doesn't make sense. His standard will be AI difficulty and that will be challenging in of itself, especially if he hasn't played any of the prior games.

I mean I've had tons of fun by simply fighting against AI, exploring all the characters and becoming better with them. I've spent over 10 hours since Friday mostly doing that. In my opinion, if you buy a Smash game, that should be the first thing to do. Play and unlock all the characters, familiarise with them, decide then who to pursue further.

Also, haven't you played Adventure mode? It's so much fun!

Best games as voted by the PushSquare community:
PS1: Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Forum GOTY 2018 winners: 1) God of War 2) Marvel's Spider-Man 3) Red Dead Redemption II

Kidfried

@KratosMD I believe that it comes down to different persons. It's great you had such fun with Brawl on your own, but I just didn't enjoy the single player component as much - as it's a bit too repetitious to me and the AI's aren't challenging enough. That's why I was so happy it had online, even being as broken as it was.

I haven't played against an AI in the new one, so maybe they're way better in Ultimate. (Though in previous Smash games and every fighter I played, you can easily win by using the same attack over and over - as they don't adapt to playing styles. Just spam Peach her down smash in Smash Melee all the way to Smash 4, and you'll beat any AI.)

And the thing is, @JohnnyShoulder doesn't have an interest in multiplayer, so becoming better against other people wouldn't matter to him. Because in your story, you talk about becoming better against your friend. But Johnny won't be playing against friends, so that comparison doesn't make sense.

Which is why I am not recommending it. Because playing against real people makes becoming better way more meaningful.

Also, I haven't touched any of the adventure mode in the new one. I've only played Smash at someone else's. And I loved every second of it and can't wait for more of it. And having some time to play it on my own, but that will have to wait until Christmas holiday. So, until then, like I said, I'm mostly basing my comments on previous experience.

If AI's are better in Ultimate, if Adventure/Classic mode feel way more fresh than previous games, that could surely be game changers.

Kidfried

KratosMD

The AI in this game is pretty tough, even on level 3. I've played against level 9s and they utilise their move sets perfectly, even using perfect shields (parrying). So while not a major challenge, they do keep you on your toes and force you to play cautiously (this is based on 1v1, in 4 player battles with level 9 AI it can get very hard).

Classic mode is absolutely brilliant. Like I mentioned earlier, each character has their own route tailor-made for them. For example, Lucas has a theme set around magic, so you'll only fight characters that are also magic users (like Bayonetta, Mewtwo, Ness etc). Another example is Simon, who has a horror theme with gothic looking stages and Castlevania music. Then there's a side-scrolling bonus stage where you run away from a black hole as you're collecting coins. Finally, there's a boss fight at the end and it's not exclusively Master Hand/Crazy Hand like in previous games. For example, I played as Simon and at the end I encountered Dracula. The attention to detail is absolutely astounding; you can only damage Dracula on its head just like in the original games! He also has a second form, just like in the first games. It's really cool.

And while you're going through Classic mode, the difficulty will constantly increase if you keep winning one battle after the other. So it keeps things very interesting!

Edited on by KratosMD

Forum GOTY 2018 winners: 1) God of War 2) Marvel's Spider-Man 3) Red Dead Redemption II

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD @Kidfried @kyleforrester87 Thanks for comments, that was really helpful. I mean may play some multiplayer if i end up buying it, but I find the learning curve too steep with fighting games online and I've never found it an enjoyable experience. Especially as I don't plan on getting it for a few months. If one of mates gets it I will probs borrow it of em.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

@JohnnyShoulder

I'm pretty happy with the single-player content on display.

With that said, I absolutely bought it because I have a group of friends I can play this with most weekends, and it's a lot of fun Smashing with them (also another reason I'll keep praising Nintendo's focus on hardware versatility; we never go to eachothers' homes, and meet in a sort of public space, so we only started this tradition with Smash 3DS; I've had a lot of experiences with other games as well that wouldn't have happened on a TV-tethered system. I don't care if it's not quite as powerful as other consoles, I think what its versatility does offer me more than makes up for any of that).

But I'm also really enjoying the single-player, and there's really a ton of content here between Classic and Adventure modes, collecting all the spirits, etc. Although I don't disagree with @Kidfried that it's more of a broad than deep experience. It's a lot of fun to unlock new content, learn different characters, etc. but it's not a massively deep adventure that you burrow into for months. Although I think the same goes for pretty much any fighting game. I do think, more than any other fighting game I've played, though, this one feels the most rewarding as a single-player experience, between the difficulty customization, constant unlock of new content, and various modes to try out.

On the subject of multiplayer: I tried out the online, and while it's more playable than the Wii U version, it's clear the netcode still isn't great.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder I should mention though that I think Smash is more of an 'easy to learn, hard to master' than most fighting games, that have quite a high treshold. Within just one game, you'll have your character figured out.

It's more of a platformer with fighting mechanics than the other way around to me.

@KratosMD Also, thanks for all your impressions. I'm looking forward to getting some time of my own with the game - which will be soon hopefully.

Kidfried

KratosMD

So after the Joker announcement for Smash Bros, I've been wondering who else do you guys think will be in the DLC? List your top 5 predictions!

Mine are:

1. Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
4. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
5. Quiet (Metal Gear Solid)

I mean it's clear to me now that they're going all out with the DLC characters and with the likes of Joker from P5, I think my list is pretty realistic. Anyone can join Smash now!

(Also I would freak out once again if Kiryu or Quiet turns out to be one of the DLC fighters).

Edited on by KratosMD

Ralizah

I don't know who will get in, but all I want are Banjo-Kazooie and Shantae.

@Tasuki Snake sticks out like a sore thumb, but he's there anyway.

Also, a Japan-exclusive Yakuza game released on Wii U at one point, so it's not like the series has no relation whatsoever to Nintendo. Outside of two remakes, MGS was also heavily PS-centered.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Knuckles-Fajita

Tasuki wrote:

@KratosMD I highly doubt we will see Kazuma Kiryu as Yakuza is pretty much a PS exclusive. Plus I can't really see him fitting in at all.

checks currently announced DLC

Yep, that's Persona 5, a PS Exclusive series I see there.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Kidfried

@KratosMD Those'd be great, but I don't deem most of them are realistic. It's great to dream, so that's why:

1 Geno (yes, I'm one of those annoying fans who keeps bringing him up!)

2 Chorus Kids: These were supposed to become my new main, before we all found out the leak was a hoax. Still hoping.

3 Chrono Trigger: it's Japanese, it's a SNES classic and I could see this character coinciding with a release of a port for Switch.

4Waluigi: This has to happen at some point. I'll never pay for it, though.

@Knuckles-Fajita Difference: the close connection between Yakuza devs and Sony. Also, Persona Q came out on 3DS. Also, Persona is way more likely because the last game released in that series when Switch wasn't as big of a deal. The next one might be developed for a Nintendo platform. Whereas Judgement, the remasters could all have come to the Switch.

Of course a Yakuza Kiwami Switch port could still be announced one day, who knows.

I seem Persona way more likely than Yakuza. That being said, I never expected Joker in here at all.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

KratosMD

My predictions are all based on characters we would never expect because that's how Nintendo is approaching this according to Reggie: "..characters that you won't anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate". Which is why my predictions are based on that mindset, because I think most people are anticipating Nintendo characters like Geno, Chorus Kids and Waluigi, and not third-party ones that have vague connections (or any at all) to Nintendo.

And I mean sure Joker is in Persona Q2 on the 3DS, but the Persona series has been PlayStation exclusive since PS1. The main series has never been on any non-PlayStation systems. So if Q2 being on 3DS is the reason, then why not Sora since Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance is on 3DS. Why not Jill Valentine since Resident Evil Revelations is on 3DS. And so on and so forth.

Not to mention all the Metal Gear Solid V artwork that is in Smash Ultimate. I can definitely see Quiet being in this game based on that alone.

Edited on by KratosMD

Kidfried

@KratosMD I mostly think Quiet and Kennedy just wouldn't make for engaging characters looking at their moveset. Sora I can see totally happening, same as Joker.

Also, he didn't say "anticipating", but "expecting". Which is an important difference.

Also he never said "all characters" or "never expect".

Just said that they would be characters that wouldn't be familiar with Smash yet. Never said they would have to be third party.

I think a lot of people read way too much in it that way. Chorus Kids, Chrono Trigger and Geno I think are not characters you'd in generally expect, because none of their series have been in Smash Bros. yet.

Also, Persona 5 and Kingdom Hearts might come to Switch as a game, but MGS5 won't. That's also what makes me doubt an inclusion like that. Persona 5's port for instance had been widely rumoured before Joker's announcement.

Kidfried

Octane

I don't think anyone expects Captain Toad either. Nintendo picked these characters according to Sakurai, so I'm certain there's going to be at least one more Nintendo character.

Octane

KratosMD

@Kidfried https://youtu.be/wYg-lRfQPdQ?t=194

He literally said "anticipate" mate.

I'm not going to bother replying to the rest of your comments. You are dissecting my post way too much for it to not sound like you're just taking jabs at me for no apparent reason. It's annoying.

@Octane I can definitely see Captain Toad be one of the DLC characters. Great shout! Also, I do agree that there's going to be at least one Nintendo character but I don't think there will be many.

Edited on by KratosMD

mookysam

I honestly can't think what other first-party characters could be added. Not that there aren't any my brain is just a bit foggy. 😂Are Lakitu, Tingle and Birdo assist trophies? Vaati from The Minish Cap might be interesting, especially as the Zelda representation isn't particularly big. Tetra would be my top Zelda choice if she isn't already on the roster though.

Banjo and Kazooie have been rumoured for the game, but as they have a strong history with Nintendo, would be a nice nod to the N64 days. The fact that it is two characters in one could give them an interesting dynamic, and there is a vast move-set to choose from.

Yuna from Final Fantasy X. She's a popular character, particularly in Japan. Owing to her use of magics and her interesting weapon, it could make her a good addition - so long as she isn't too similar to Zelda.

2B and her pod from Nier Automata - She's a great character and has already featuring in Soul Calibur 6. She's very fast and agile and has flexible weaponry.

@Kidfried Frog from Chrono Trigger would be great. He's my favourite character anyway, but he uses cool swords and is very agile for an amphibian. That or Robo, because he's so cute.

mookysam

PSN: mookysam

KratosMD

@mookysam Those are really great predictions. I was going to add 2B to my list but I realised she's already in Soul Calibur VI so I thought they might not add her in Smash. But it would be awesome if they actually do, and also if they could add characters like Geralt or Noctis even though they are also guest characters in other fighting games.

themcnoisy

Smash on Switch is great. Probably the best smash bros game ever. The content is fantastic. For me the actually gameplay loop isn't too exciting and after having battered melee on the gamecube however many years ago that was has already worn thin. When you drop off a stage the jump, special, boost to get back on usually messes me up more than the battling. It's funny when you mess up the first few times, absolutely infuriating later on. This is more to do with the joycons and if I grabbed a gc controller would be fine so will pick a proper switch controller at some point (I have a knock off 3rd party controller which is terribad).

It's a must have game and everyone should give it a go if you haven't tried one before.

The single player from melee feels missing. I'm sure there was platform lite sections, I might be confusing that for another game.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic