Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,981 to 3,000 of 3,217

KratosMD

@RR529 That's an even better story than mine! It's really cool that the system does that. I know it's unsurprising but it's things like that that makes me love the Switch. It's going to be hard to lose progress when playing a game on the Switch.

Best games as voted by the PushSquare community:
PS1: Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy IX, Tomb Raider II

KratosMD

So I decided to start over on Casual in Shining Resonance Refrain since I didn't like all the difficulty spikes in the game on Normal. I've played it for 10 hours now and I can say that I'm having a much more enjoyable experience. I just don't like how I had to waste over 5 hours in order to find out that Normal difficulty wasn't for me. But at least I decided to start over 5 hours in and not 30 hours in before the final boss or something.

Regardless, this game is so much fun. The combat is a blast and the story as well as the characters are compelling. I'm really loving it, it's great to finally be able to enjoy a JRPG on the Switch. I've been switching between TV and handheld mode constantly, it's just so good!

PS1: Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy IX, Tomb Raider II

Jaz007

@KratosMD What’s worse than the whole issue with what normal means, is the inability to switch difficulty without starting a new game.

Backkoggery ID: Jaz007

KratosMD

@Jaz007 To be clear, you can switch difficulty mid-game in Shining Resonance. The reason why I didn't do it is because I assume that playing on a higher difficulty grants you less EXP. In other words, I've been missing out on a lot of EXP that I could've gotten if I had played on Casual from the get-go. That has usually been the case with many JRPGs (like Persona), which is why I wanted to start over.

But yeah, the game is much more fair now without all these difficulty spikes which used to heavily deter me from the game. I just don't like spending too much time on battles in general when JRPGs are already long games to begin with.

Ralizah

@KratosMD Let me know what you think of the difficulty settings in Ys VIII. I found that hard mode was just right for me.

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Jaz007

@KratosMD So why not grind then? Wouldn't it be faster than doing the first 5 hours again with no Xp?

KratosMD

@Ralizah I played the PS4 demo of the game on Normal and thought it was fine. From my experience, Falcom games tend to be hard even on Normal (basing this off my playthroughs of Trails of Cold Steel) so I think I'm going to keep it on Normal for the time being.

@Jaz007 Because the whole reason is that I don't want to grind every time there's a difficulty spike. Sure I could grind in preparation for the next big fight, but then I would have to do that for the one after that, and so on. And trust me, after having played more than 5 hours of the game on Casual, I've encountered plenty of fights that would've been potential difficulty spikes on Normal. I just want to keep up a good pacing without the gameplay interrupting it, that's all.

Jaz007

@KratosMD I misspoke, and sorry to potentially beat a dead horse, but wouldn’t switching it to easy and then grinding a little, but less than 5 hours be easier? Then you wouldn’t have to grind again, but also not restart the whole game.

KratosMD

@Jaz007 But that's the thing, how would I know exactly what the most beneficial option is? Perhaps playing through the game again for 5 hours would give me more EXP overall than if I had simply turned down the difficulty and grinded a bit. Maybe it would've taken even longer to grind to the optimal levels if I had done that. I don't know how the game works, so I figured I'd just go for the simplest and safest option.

Regardless, it was not a complete waste of time as I hadn't played the game for almost 3 months now (since I bought it back in July on launch day) so playing through the first 5 hours again helped refresh my memory of the events that have transpired.

RR529

Yeah, I liked Shining Resonance Refrain, but it definitely was a grind fest on Normal (I think the entire purpose of the Grimoires was just a way to make grinding sessions more interesting, since they figured you'd have to do it so often, lol).

The most annoying part came in the late game (enemies were level 60-70), and I was forced into a battle where I just happened to be stuck with just the two characters I never use (one level 34 & the other 15, because unused characters don't gain any exp, unlike most other modern JRPGs).

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

KratosMD

@RR529 I thought as much. Glad I decided to restart it on Casual, then! I actually felt a slight difficulty spike during the second visit to Gaelritz Prison, since all enemies were like level 35 to 43 and my team was around level 28 even though all prior enemies up to that point were below that level. You know there's something wrong with the general difficulty of the game when the boss fights become rather easy on Casual, but there are still some enemies that will easily kick your butt (the Musketeers). I remember running into them the first time before the Prison. I was focusing on one enemy and about 10 seconds later, I noticed that all my teammates had fainted, lol. I had no idea what had happened, but apparently when Musketeers charge up their shots, they will shoot out 3-4 homing bullets which inflict massive damage for some reason. Very unfair if you ask me..

I did remember you saying in a previous post that members outside of your current party don't receive EXP so I've been switching out my members in order to compensate for that. Really helpful advice!

But yeah, I'm really loving the game now. It's so much more enjoyable when you don't have to constantly worry about difficulty spikes in the gameplay.

KratosMD

Apparently the first Valkyria Chronicles was recently released on the Switch digitally. I would love to hear from those who have played it, or even other games in the series, if they are any good seeing as how the fourth game was also released for the Switch a while back. I think I'd like these games a lot since they look like a third-person version of Fire Emblem.

Ralizah

@KratosMD Valkyria Chronicles is a fantastic tactical JRPG set in a fantasy WW2-esque setting. You command an increasingly large squad of mostly civilian recruits as you fight back against a militaristic empire that is attempting to invade your country. The units you command all have identities and personalities, and their character traits will actually come into play in battles, because they impact how the unit behaves in various situations (a unit who is afraid of men, for example, might suffer accuracy drops when she's around male units; on the other hand, if she's, say, a bit foolhardy and hot-blooded, she might gain additional anti-infantry strength when rushing a nest of enemy units; there are many dozens of personality traits that affect how units behave in the field). The gameplay is a fusion of real-time and turn-based elements: you can move your unit around freely (well, until your stamina depletes), even giving yourself an advantage by aiming intelligently and/or flanking the opponent but, when you stop to actually fight, time freezes and math takes over. It's a smart combat system that rewards both player skill and smart character builds.

The games are also filled with fun character banter and unlockable optional missions that flesh out side characters.

So far, I'd say VC4 is probably the best game in the series, but the original is also an absolute classic and an utter steal at its current price on the Switch eshop.

Ralizah

KratosMD

@Ralizah Very eloquent description of the series, thank you. Now that I think about it, that actually reminds me of the 3DS game Code Name STEAM and I enjoyed playing that game. I feel like these games would be right up my alley. Although there doesn't seem to be a physical version of the first game on the Switch, so I might buy it on PS4 instead. But I'll happily buy VC4 on the Switch.

However, just like with any JRPG though, I have to ask: are there any difficulty spikes? Also, are there multiple difficulty levels to choose from?

And finally, is Valkyria Revolution any good? I honestly don't mind when some series decide to switch genres for a certain title, so I'd be happy to give that game a fair shot even though it's not like the other ones.

Ralizah

@KratosMD No difficulty levels. They're not really needed, as the game is mostly forgiving enough that most people could brute force their way through the campaign. There's permadeath, but only if you don't rescue a critically injured unit. You can save anywhere in battle. You can use skirmishes and replay other maps to grind EXP. The challenge comes from A-ranking maps.

There are difficulty spikes. Usually in levels with high-level boss characters, which can be annoying (same issue I have with Fire Emblem games, actually).

Never played Revolution. I imagine a lot of Valkyria fans haven't, for the same reason a lot of Metroid fans snubbed Federation Force.

Ralizah

KratosMD

@Ralizah "You can save anywhere in battle"

Well I'm sold. That alone sounds extremely comforting, especially since there are difficulty spikes like you say. Had I known that I would've bought the game a long time ago! Does VC4 also have this feature?

Ralizah

@KratosMD Yep. VC4 does pretty much everything the first game did, plus new mechanics and features. You can save every turn, and even create multiple save files, like with a PC game. So you could totally scum your way through a mission if that's what you want, but it's a lot more rewarding to quickly clear a mission and get the bonus EXP/gear unlocks that go along with that.

The one exception is (imo) an improvement. Instead of paying money to unlock sidequests like in the first game, you have much more Fire Emblem-ish "Squad Stories" that unlock when you deploy certain characters together over and over. The game tells you which other characters each unit likes, so it's easy enough to unlock quite a few of them. It also, unlike the first game, is giving me a good reason to rotate my squad members and use everyone.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Kidfried

@KratosMD I liked the game, but I have to admit I gave up on it due to the difficulty spikes, which made me dread playing the game at all.

Still: game looks great, story is enjoyable and the battle system is unique. So I really enjoyed most of my time with it, maybe I'll pick it up again someday.

Kidfried

RR529

So how hard is it to work through the story in Dragon Ball FighterZ for a more casual fighting game fan?

I love DBZ, but while I really enjoy playing around in fighting games, I'm definitely not a hardcore player. I've worked through the story in Dead or Alive Dimensions, and can clear arcade mode in Street Fighter II & Super Street Fighter IV 3D on easier difficulties. Also cleared the story/arcade mode in games such as Soulcalibur III/IV, DOA4, SNK VS Capcom, & Tatsunoko VS Capcom, but it's been awhile since I played any of these so I don't know if I was playing them on easier settings or not. I do know all of the SNK fighters I've ever tried have kicked my butt even on the easiest difficulties (Samurai Showdown II, Garou, & KOFXII), so I'm just wondering where DBFZ fits on the scale.

Also, I just completed Dragon Quest Builders last night. Won't go into too much detail since my tablet's battery is about dead, but I'll bring up my thoughts later.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

Knuckles-Fajita

According to DF, Dark Souls on Switch isn't the Remaster at all, since it lacks all the visual improvements outside of a dynamic 1080p resolution. All effects are the same as on 360 or WORSE and audio quality got degraded heavily.

And the performance can go as low as 20fps.

And this was delayed for months why?

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic