Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,961 to 2,980 of 3,446

KratosMD

@Kidfried They've changed a lot of the game mechanics in Smash Ultimate as well, like I just said. I'm guessing you don't keep up with Smash news.

Best games as voted by the PushSquare community:
PS1: Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Forum GOTY 2018 winners: 1) God of War 2) Marvel's Spider-Man 3) Red Dead Redemption II

KratosMD

@KALofKRYPTON I wasn't comparing Smash with other franchises, I was comparing the games within each respective series. If Smash Ultimate is more of the same compared to Smash 4 (which it isn't in terms of mechanics), then based on this logic, Tekken 7 is just more of the same compared to Tekken 6, and Street Fighter V is more of the same compared to Ultra Street Fighter IV.

I'm not saying that this is the case, I'm just emphasising the ridiculousness of these statements.

Forum GOTY 2018 winners: 1) God of War 2) Marvel's Spider-Man 3) Red Dead Redemption II

KALofKRYPTON

@KratosMD
They aren't always ridiculous statements. Some games are iterative mechanically, Injustice and Injustice 2 for example are incredibly iterative - though it is a relatively recent system. Tekken has always been very iterative too, with presentation and technical prowess usually being the defining leap from one entry to another (barring TTT).

SFIV is as close to playing SFIII as it is V. The systems in place are radically different.

For a long time, Smash has just been... Smash. It's had a lot in common with Tekken in that regard actually; new console, new version of Smash - not much different.

Ultimate looks to be the most interesting by far though. It'll be interesting to see how the community takes to what will be a more taxing tactical experience.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Kidfried

@KratosMD You're right. I forgot about a few there. I'll reserve my opinions on those mechanics until after I've played it.

Kidfried

Rudy_Manchego

@Kidfried It translates pretty well to be honest - in terms of performance, seems slightly better than the 360/PS3 gen. I find these games are pretty good for handheld play as they are so large. At least that is what I told myself when I bought it six months ago and never got anywhere with it!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

Twitter:

Knuckles-Fajita

Shame I have to wait so long for my copy of Megaman 11, since everyone says its really good.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

KratosMD

Well I finally decided to purchase Octopath Traveler. I saw that an online retailer had received a second-hand copy of the game for roughly €40 so I decided to get it for that price. I've been hesitant in buying the game since it's a very long one but also because I can't justify paying €60 for it. Even though it has a lot of content, it still feels like a "Bravely Default" quality type of game, of which I'd not pay more than €40 for.

Regardless, I'm looking to stock up on JRPGs now and having recently purchased the Xenoblade 2 Torna expansion, as well as Digimon Story Hacker's Memory on PS4, I feel like a meaty game like this on the Switch would do nicely since I don't feel like playing Torna until I'm done with the first Xenoblade on 3DS.

I also have to admit that I do regret choosing Shining Resonance over Octopath Traveler back in July. I couldn't get into the former at all, so I'm really happy that I get to finally play Octopath.

RR529

Finished up the Rimuldar arc in Dragon Quest Builders, so I guess I'm about halfway through?

Great game so far. I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy it since I've never played any kind of builder before, but it adds a unique twist to the standard RPG gameplay, that makes it stand out in comparison to the other JRPGs on the system. It's optimized fantastically too (In portable mode it runs at native res at all times, and the only time I may have noticed a tiny dip in framerate is one time when multiple, I think it was 4, Evil Idols were going off at the same time as I ran in between them).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

KratosMD

Ok so I just remembered that I have still not picked up Ys VIII yet and looking on the internet, it seems that most online retailers don't even sell the game anymore for PS4 and there's only one who is selling the Switch version. So I'm wondering, should I get the Switch version and is it the definitive version of the game? Because I remember there being some localisation issues as well as general issues with the game on PS4 but I don't know if they've been ironed out for the Switch version.

Also I would love to hear some thoughts regarding the game from people who have played it. That might encourage me to get the game ASAP even though it's rather expensive, since it's in limited supply and I don't want to miss out on getting a physical copy of it.

Knuckles-Fajita

@KratosMD Localisation issues are mostly resolved. The game is fun, fluid and I did write a full review basically kissing it's ass, as barring remakes, it's my favourite game this year.

As for the seller thing, places here in the UK didnt stock the Switch version at launch so...good luck. Great game.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@KratosMD Switch version has minor performance issues (in handheld mode, the resolution gets a bit jittery at times, and when things get really hairy the framerate can take a dip, but neither of these issues negatively affected the majority of my experience with the game), but everything localization-wise should be resolved. I played for 65 hours and didn't encounter more than a handful of typos.

It's an absolutely fantastic ARPG. Definitely go for it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

RR529

Yeah, YS VIII was fantastic. Portably, it drops below native res in a few areas (I think they're all later game areas, all on the second half of the island), and there's an optional dungeon that has some resolution and framerate dips (I think it was added in the PS4 version, and wasn't part of the original Vita release, which could be why Switch has some issues with it), but that's about it.

I think I may like it more than Xenoblade Chronicles 2, at least in terms of gameplay (it's much more intuitive to pick up and play after putting it down for awhile).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

KratosMD

@Ralizah @RR529 Thanks for sharing your thoughts, guys. I've been going back and forth since yesterday whether I should buy the game or not. I played the demo on PS4 and found the game to be really fun. I remember playing the demo last year and I thought the game had really boring gameplay. But this time around, it actually grew on me. Also, I'm a huge fan of Trails of Cold Steel and Falcom in general, so I should find Ys to my liking. I've also watched numerous reviews now of the Switch version and there seems to be a lot of performance issues when playing the game docked. The game is also only 30 fps on Switch, but honestly I don't mind all that as long as the game can hook me, which the demo definitely did. It looks to be a really addicting experience.

But yeah, since the game is available in such short supply where I live, I ultimately decided to order it now. I don't want to risk having it be sold out and then being forced to buy a digital copy because I hate buying digital versions of retail games.

Really hope that I will end up loving the game. I've bought so many JRPGs these past weeks that I need to start playing one of them soon, lol. But it's nice that I already have so many lined up to play on Switch: Xenoblade 2 and Torna, Octopath Traveler, Shining Resonance and now Ys VIII. It really feels like the Switch is starting to become my new JRPG machine.

Ralizah

@KratosMD I had fewer issues with it docked, actually. The resolution seems to hold up better on the TV, imo. Framerate issues are identical in both modes.

If you're cool with 30fps, it mostly holds up throughout the game, only dipping in a couple of areas.

Ralizah

KratosMD

@Ralizah I mean, what you're saying makes more sense than what I've heard from reviewers. Why would a game on Switch perform worse in docked mode than in handheld mode. Unless the Switch version is based on the Vita version or something, and they just couldn't get it running as smoothly on the TV as they wanted to.

Regardless, I'm generally not too picky when it comes to performance so as long as the game remains fairly consistent then I'm fine with it.

Ralizah

@KratosMD It's actually a port of the PS4 version, which is why it was my go-to version of the game. All the content of the home console version, but with portability. It still looks and performs better than the Vita version.

There are definitely some issues, as I said, but nothing that ruined the experience, or even significantly marred it. The biggest sacrifice is the 60fps, but it was originally designed to run at 30fps on the Vita (which it was first released on in Japan), anyway, so it's not like the game is performing in a way it was inherently not meant to perform. The hit was worth it for me being able to play it away from the TV, and I'm not missing out on a bunch of content like if I'd opted for the Vita release.

You also get some exclusive costumes on Switch. I really liked the pirate gear, personally.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

RR529

Just ordered a new TV for my room. It's only 720p (which means in terms of Switch gaming I won't be able to play games in 1080p when playing docked, however I will be able to enjoy docked mode more often than I do now with the Switch on the living room TV). Also, it's a smart TV which should be nice with Netflix & YouTube absent from the Switch itself.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

KratosMD

I seriously love the Switch. We just had a power outage in my town for two hours and I wanted to play something on my consoles. All my consoles were obviously unusable, but then I thought that I could play on my Switch. Thankfully it was fully charged, so I could just remove it from the dock and play via tabletop mode just as I would on a TV. This system is truly phenomenal, it's like the Swiss Army Knife of video game systems. It's available to use even in the most dire situations.

I also got Ys VIII today and played it for awhile just to see how it runs and it feels pretty good. Granted I didn't get into any battles so I couldn't test out the frame rate. However, I still feel satisfied with this version since I can play it on both the TV and in handheld mode, which is good enough for me.

Edited on by KratosMD

Ralizah

It runs pretty much the same everywhere with the exception of a couple of problem areas late in the game (that aren't a huge part of the game, either). If you're happy with it as it is now, it should be satisfactory over the course of the game.

That's about how I felt. 60fps would obviously have been better, but I'll take it for full portability.

Ralizah

RR529

@KratosMD, incidentally, back in July a storm knocked out our power while I was playing YS VIII (on TV). I was distraught until I saw a sliver of light at the top of the dock, and soon realized that the system just switched to portable mode and I picked up right where I left off.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic