Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,881 to 2,900 of 7,479

Ralizah

Octane wrote:

Like a 2D Journey.

If that's true, then I can safely ignore the game.

The art is pretty spectacular, though.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

Going to buy Gris tomorrow as a pre chrimbles treat.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Its_badW0lf

So, I finally caved in and got myself a switch with Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu, bit miffed about the way they cut off fighting pokemon in the wild, should've done my research beforehand.

In any case, I'm looking for personal recommendations, as in - if you were to give someone your own top 5 with a short reason for why number one is number one that would be extremely helpful. I'm down to try anything really, just curious as to what people are playing and enjoyed playing the most, I'm extremely out of the loop when it comes to Nintendo stuff.

You and what army?

PSN: its_badW0lf

Its_badW0lf

@KratosMD Damn, that is pretty comprehensive, thank you so much!

I'm was already very inclined towards Zelda for the good words and reviews alone, so that is a given for me, Mario sounds pretty awesome, along the lines of what I like doing in a game which is collect all the stuff!

Hollow Knight sounds pretty awesome as well, will give it a look, don't think I came across that one so far, so thanks for the suggestion!

You and what army?

Its_badW0lf

@KratosMD It's been a learning curve that's for sure. Last Pokemon game I played with any seriousness was the Gold one I believe, too many years ago, so while the game looks beautiful and I'm really enjoying my time with it it is a departure from what I was used to. I like the real time pokemon hanging about, but I miss the tactical approach to it in terms of leveling and such, I can see that battles now have a lot more depth and stats are much more influencing but I just really enjoyed the whole taking a pokemon down to the minimum health and inducing statuses and catching them then, in terms of enjoyment personally that was much more my thing.

Still, will be finishing it in any case, really enjoy the whole catching combos and streaks. And thanks man, I'll come in with any questions I may have.

On the Smash Brothers front, I have tried it before and I wasn't too into that sort of fighting game, it's a great party game, and I love to play it in that setting, but as a mostly solo player I tend to stay away from fighting games altogether, I enjoyed Injustice because of its story mainly, but that was mostly it.

You and what army?

Its_badW0lf

@kyleforrester87 Heard many good things about Xenoblade, maybe I'll give it a proper look soonish!

@KratosMD Absolutely, maybe not - but I was considering getting back to Boomerang, it's a game rental company in the UK, I used them before and to be fair my experience was excellent, I just found myself playing too much Destiny to justify getting more games that I would not touch for the most part, but now with a different system, maybe it'll be a perfect fit, and that means I can play games I'd not really consider playing, like Smash, I'd definitely give it a go for the Adventure mode alone but not if I had to commit to buying it outright.

Edited on by Its_badW0lf

You and what army?

Ralizah

@Its_badW0lf

I'll leave games you can play on your PS4 (like Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Ys VIII) off this list, but rest assured you should play those on something. They're both awesome games.

1) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - One of the most liberating and joyful open world games I've ever played. It's structured so that it's rewarding no matter how you play it, and it's so easy to lose countless hours of your life exploring the beautiful wilds of Hyrule. Movement and player locomotion is fluid and fun (you get a paraglider early on, you're allowed to climb almost everything, and there's almost no invisible walls anywhere in this game, so it's a simple affair to follow your curiosity where it leads). The game is filled with a complex suite of gameplay systems that allow so many unique ways to interact with the environment. Puzzle design is such that, while you can solve them in the expected manner most players would, you can also get creative and solve puzzles in ways that other video games simply wouldn't allow. If you can try a thing and think it should work, then it might very well work. It's not over-designed in this regard like most Zelda games. It's probably my favorite game this generation.

2) Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. A game I never thought I'd like, but what initially sounded like one of the worst crossovers ever turned out to be a really beautifully-crafted tactical RPG. Tons of puzzles to solve when outside of battle. Battles are a bit like in XCOM, but much more focused on navigating a highly agile group of characters around its battlefields. The game is filled with fun Mario characters and references. It actually has a really good difficulty curve. I just can't recommend it enough.

3) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. One of the best 2D platformers ever made. The levels are intelligently designed and amazing fun to speedrun once you learn them. Controlling the characters is incredibly satisfying. Like all DKC games, there are a lot of secrets to find in its levels. The music is really good. It's just... a prime example of everything I look for in a classic, side-scrolling platformer.

4) Xenoblade Chronicles 2. A game that's riddled with a million little flaws, but also an epic and emotionally satisfying JRPG with gorgeous environments, dozens of gameplay systems to interact with, fun characters, and a pretty sweeping narrative. Also, the music is incredible. With that said, if you get this, play it mostly on the TV: the game wasn't optimized with handheld mode in mind, and it often looks terrible off the dock (its biggest sin, in my eyes).

5) Super Mario Odyssey. Not my favorite 3D Mario, but one that shouldn't be missed. The linearity of previous Mario adventures is almost completely abandoned in favor of large, well-designed environments filled with secrets and stuff to interact with. There are moons to find pretty much everywhere, and it really encourages you to explore the environments you're in as fully as possible. The main game is a bit easy, but once you hit the post-game, the challenges really start to test your skills. The post-game is probably the best of any Mario game I've ever played, to be honest, as it unlocks a ton of new content to discover.

Edited on by Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@Its_badW0lf

It's tough as there are a lot of ports and so on but my favourite titles to play on the Switch have been:

1) Breath of the Wild - I do feel this game is gaming marmite. It is a huge open world without the usual clutter and I know some who have just hated it. Plot wise there is nothing to it but at the same time it felt utterly unique and I managed to put over 120 hours into it which is unheard of for me. I also find that open worlds like this work so well on Switch where yuo can just grab it and explore for 15 or 20 mins here or there.

2) Golf Story - a fab little indie that has a basic but quite addictive golfing loop with a very funny RPG style story, really reminded me of Zelda in terms of NPC's and the type of stories and conversations you have. I thought this was a great game.

3) Super Mario Odyssey - talked about a lot and this was my first 3D Mario since Sunshine and while I didn't put too much time into the endgame, I had a lot of fun with it.

4) Hyper LIght Drifter - sure you can get this on every platform but if you haven't played it then get on it.

5) Skyrim - This probably isn't the best version you can play but I've only really ever managed to sink much time into on the Switch because I find the pick up and play part so so refreshing. It runs about as well as any Bethesda game (well better than Fallout 76) and looks pretty good on Switch. I just find it fun to raid a dungeon while on the toiler basically.

Of course, Mario Kart 8 is great, and I'm sure pretty much all the first party stuff is, as well as some great indies like Hollow Knight.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Tasuki

Well I haven't played many Switch games and a games in my list are on other consoles as well but the one thing it had over other consoles is portability so that's a major plus. Anyway here's my list.

Diablo III — Big surprsie with as much time as I put into this game on the PS4, it's a no brainier add in the fact that it's portable it makes it perfect to run through a dungeon at any time.

Mutant Football League Dynasty Edition — If you like Arcade football games like Blitz, or the original Mutant League Football or arcade sport gamed in general then this is a great game to have on your Switch library. Add in a detail Dynasty Mode and this game offers alot for it's price

Skyrim — Probably not the best version but I will take the fact that it's portable and it does look good in handheld mode. On the tv though it can be a site as jaggels can be seen and such but still if you like open world games or Skyrim in general having it on the go is sweet.

Super Mario Odyssey — Probably my favorite 3D Mario game and a great sequel to Mario 64. If you like Mario games this is a must have.

Dust An Elysian Tale — A solid metrovania game and my favorite after Symphony of the Night. Gorgeous graphics and voice acting is top notch. Challenge isn't too cheap and it's all around a great game

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Haruki_NLI

Yep. Thats a game we are seeing for the first time on the system almost 4 years after being announced!

Cool I guess?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Tasuki

Been playing Diablo III the past week and I have to say I am impressed with the Switch version. I have put alot of hours into the PS4 version and was skeptical on the Switch version but with the added fact of portability, the Switch version very well could be my favorite way to play Diablo III.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Ralizah

The trailer for DQXI:S obviously looks really good, but I'm curious to see two things:
1) Gameplay (which will be more telling about the actual sacrifices involved in bringing this to the Switch)
2) Undocked gameplay (because the promise of portable DQXI is the only thing that has kept me from jumping on the superior PC version of the game)

Kidfried

Played a lot of Smash Ultimate this month. It's multiplayer is a 10/10 experience, even though I had wished for some more (and diverse) characters. I've put around 20 hour into the single player part and... it exists, I guess.

Kidfried

Haruki_NLI

@Kidfried World of Light has the same problem Subspace did, in that it gets ti the end and then keeps going.

Thing is with Subspace that "Surprise theres more" was about 4 hours.

Here its around 10. After youve already done 10.

And World of Light lacks...well...identity? Its just an extension of Spirit Board but Spirit Board is more fun. And WoL lacks any of the character stuff Subspace had.

But that online multiplayer, damn its smooth. Had a few bad matches but my experience has been 90% flawless online. This is via wifi I should add though my connection is actually 80mbps down and 20 up...

So YMMV

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

World of Light is great for what it is. An extensive single-player mode with clever event fights, boss battles, and a complete lack of boring story elements.

With that said, it's still a fighting game, which means I can't play it for long stretches without getting bored.

Ralizah

You know, I'm enjoying Let's Go! Eevee, but I'm glad Junichi Masuda isn't directing any more main series games. Here's what he said about LGPE being quicker to beat than previous games in an interview.

"We sped up the walking speed for the player and kept the playtime needed to reach the Hall of Fame on the shorter side. For the people who want to play more, I’d like them to enjoy cuddling their partner Pikachu or Eevee and giving them Berries, having fun with outfits, and building up their bonds with their partner."

Bahahaha!

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah He doesn't get it. After all those year, he still doesn't get it. We want a Pokemon dancing mini-game, not cuddling and feeding. Let them dance!

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic